Thread: Senior Analyst Mike Renner's post-Super Bowl 2019 NFL Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Analyst Mike Renner's post-Super Bowl 2019 NFL Mock Draft

The 2018 NFL season is in the books after the New England Patriots knocked off the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl LIII, in the lowest-scoring Super Bowl in history. While the end of the NFL season allows us at Pro Football Focus the ability to look back at the Top 101 players from the past season, it also locks the 2019 NFL Draft order officially in place as the Patriots secured the last pick of the first round with their victory.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-bosa-goes-first-renners-second-2019-mock?utm_source=PFF+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e5f8a6 707d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_05_08_15&utm_medium=email&u tm_term=0_ae3f4210bf-e5f8a6707d-191331089

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Senior Analyst Mike Renner's post-Super Bowl 2019 NFL Mock Draft

TE is lower on the list of needs. Rather have defense

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    TE is lower on the list of needs. Rather have defense

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

If the first round rated ILB and CB are gone, I’m good with BPA. Hate to reach and miss just because it’s a position of need. Colbert will address positions of need(not sure to what level), in free agency. He never paints himself in a corner with a single position at the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Analyst Mike Renner's post-Super Bowl 2019 NFL Mock Draft

If we get a first for AB, I am taking one of the Devin’s first, then a CB and a WR with the other first and the second.
    If AB stays, I am taking one of the Devin’s with the first and a FA CB
    If we trade AB for a CB/second, I am taking one of the Devin’s in the first and am packaging the seconds to move into the first to get a WR (unless it is a high second and there will be a good WR available then)

Moral of the story, we need to replace Shazier first and we suck at picking CB’s so get a proven one to pair with Haden.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

ONLY problem I would have here is letting Mack Wilson get away. Steelers NEED offense this draft too. Cannot put on blinders against that fact. But I don’t know how to pick Hockenson/Wilson. Happy and disappointed at the same time.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

That trade would look something like this (using a trade value chart):,,

Steelers get:
    -pick 29
    -Chiefs’ R2 pick

Chiefs get:
    -pick #20
    -Steelers’ R4 pick

In the first two rounds, we would then have:

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Player wise, what the Steelers need is a defensive tone-setter, a true leader, a guy who will elevate the rest of the defense

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Player wise, what the Steelers need is a defensive tone-setter, a true leader, a guy who will elevate the rest of the defense
    Unfortunately, easier said than done.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Funny thing is, for everything that TJ Watt has become, that's one thing he hasn't become. I wonder if it's his age or if it's just being JJ's younger brother and quieter because of the shadow growing up?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Hypothetical Question:

You have the choice between two players in their primes: Lawrence Timmons or Gronk. Which one do you take?... and, why? One fills a need and is very good; plus, he’s a defensive leader. The other is simply a far superior player.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Hypothetical Question:

You have the choice between two players in their primes: Lawrence Timmons or Gronk. Which one do you take?... and, why? One fills a need and is very good; plus, he’s a defensive leader. The other is simply a far superior player.
    Gronk. As good as Timmons was, I can think of only a few games the Steelers won solely because Timmons balled out and did something amazing. I can think of several where Gronk singlehandedly tipped the scales for the Pats and I don't watch many Patriots games. For years after he entered the league, entire drafts were summarized by teams looking for the next "Gronk". No one ever reached on a guy, let alone several guys, in the first round of the draft looking for the next Timmons.

Put another, Timmons was a really good linebacker. Gronk might be the best TE to ever play the game.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The book has to be wide open this offseason. Yes we need defensive talent. But really the defense only needs to be solid and fundamentally sound. You don’t need TP43 or James Harrison to field a top 10 defense. You do however need very dynamic players on offense. You must have playmakers and stars on offense. Bottom line is this team needs a talent upgrade at several positions and on both sides of the ball. I could not care less what round these players come out of. If we don’t draft defense/offense until the 4th it won’t matter to me so long as they are football players.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s hard to answer this question in hindsight knowing what Gronk has done. You’d be crazy not to take Gronk. I’d go Gronk though.

If we are talking prospects with Timmons and Gronks measureables and draft history, you take Timmons at 20 and then trade up with the Broncos and take Gronk at 41!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Funny thing is, for everything that TJ Watt has become, that's one thing he hasn't become. I wonder if it's his age or if it's just being JJ's younger brother and quieter because of the shadow growing up?
    Are you sure about this? Not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t know either way.

Why wouldn’t he be a tone setter? He gets as fired up as anyone.

I’m sure Cam is the undisputed leader of the defense, as he should be, but T.J. gets the most sacks and has a motor that doesn’t quit. I have to imagine that has an effect on the rest of the D.

But I’m guessing if he’s not assuming any kind of leadership role yet it’s because of youth, as you suggest. In his third year I could definitely see him having the confidence and clout to become more of a vocal leader.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Are you sure about this? Not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t know either way.

Why wouldn’t he be a tone setter? He gets as fired up as anyone.

I’m sure Cam is the undisputed leader of the defense, as he should be, but T.J. gets the most sacks and has a motor that doesn’t quit. I have to imagine that has an effect on the rest of the D.

But I’m guessing if he’s not assuming any kind of leadership role yet it’s because of youth, as you suggest. In his third year I could definitely see him having the confidence and clout to become more of a vocal leader.

Any kid that's walks into the league and does the things he has been able to do so quickly gets everyone's attention. Whether it is done vocally, or just by example....he is leading. He gets sacks, forced fumbles, and creates turnovers. Everyone should be looking at how he goes about his business. I'm going to say that most do. If he talks to his teammates and helps them anyway he can, that in itself is leadership.