Thread: Lead pipe locks for HOF

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

Lead pipe locks for HOF

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

The month of June is traditionally the slowest for the NFL, which gives guys like me a chance to speculate -- on, say, things like future Hall of Famers.
    The careers of quarterback Kurt Warner and left tackle Walter Jones came to an end this offseason, and I believe their body of work will get them into the Hall of Fame. Then again, I also believe tight end Shannon Sharpe and wide receiver Cris Carter should be in by now. The longer things linger for these two, the more I wonder what it will take for them two to get in.
    Class of 2010 breakdown
    Take a closer look at the achievements of the Hall of Fame Class of 2010, led by 49ers wide receiver Jerry Rice, who holds just about every NFL receiving record. More ...

During my Sirius Radio show on Memorial Day I was challenged with the question: Which active players have already done enough to punch their tickets for Canton? From that fundamental question come these questions: Which players are close to getting into the Hall? Which players have a chance? Which players will just miss out? And, for which players who seem on track is it simply too early to determine?
    I asked front office executives, talked with two NFL historians who I respect, took emails from passionate fans, and looked at the current production of 37 present-day players who fall into one of these categories.
    You're going to disagree with some of my views and see eye-to-eye with me on others. But here's the best that I can categorize these players.

Canton bound

1. Brett Favre, QB, Vikings: No argument here whatsoever. He's the all-time leader in passing yards (69,329) and touchdowns (497) and has a Super Bowl ring, with the very real possibility of adding another should he come back.
    2. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts: Manning has already thrown for 50,128 yards (fourth all-time behind Favre, Dan Marino and John Elway) and 366 touchdowns (third all-time), is the only four-time league MVP, and has his Super Bowl ring. If the 33-year-old Manning was to play six more years at this pace, he'll finish with close to 76,000 yards and 550 touchdowns.
    3. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots: It's not about stats for Brady, although a single-season record of 50 touchdown passes in 2007 was quite impressive. The only number that matters: Three. As in three Super Bowl championships (twice MVP) says it all.

4. Ray Lewis, ILB, Ravens: In 14 seasons, Lewis has been the epitome of hard-hitting defense in the NFL. He has been tackling players longer than the league has kept stats for them (since 2001). Throw in his 36.5 sacks, 28 interceptions, 12 forced fumbles, and the fact that he was the general of the 2000 Ravens' defense that led the franchise to its only Super Bowl championship, and he's a lock for the Hall.
    5. Tony Gonzalez, TE, Falcons: Gonzalez is partly responsible for revolutionizing the position as we know it. He's the career leader among tight ends with 999 receptions (seventh overall) and 82 touchdowns.
    6. LaDanian Tomlinson, RB, Jets: Only recently has L.T. showed signs of decline. In nine seasons as a Charger, he has 12,490 rushing yards (eighth all-time) with 138 touchdowns. On top of that he has 530 receptions for 3,955 yards and 15 touchdowns. And he ony had one of the greatest seasons ever in 2006 when he was named league MVP after scoring 31 total touchdowns and amassing 2,323 yards of offense.
    7. Ed Reed, FS, Ravens: A ball hawk if there ever was one, in eight seasons Reed has 46 interceptions, 70 passes defended, nine forced fumbles, and five sacks. He's also scored six touchdowns in his career.
    4 steelers (and 1 ex steeler) on the fringe. see link

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

So Ben's off field issues keep him out but killing two people is OK?

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

A bit off topic but shouldn't the Bus be up for the HoF in 2011? Five year minimum right?

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    So Ben's off field issues keep him out but killing two people is OK?
    So then shouldn't LT be taken out then?

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Last I checked guys like Lawrence Taylor and Michael Irving. Both have been ARRESTED and CHARGED with their crimes and they got into the HoF. Ben Roethlisberger has NEVER been ARRESTED or CHARGED with anything. And to get Irving in, voters were told to focus SOLELY on the ON FIELD PERFORMANCE.

As long as Big Ben keeps winning games, especially playoff games and Super Bowls.....he will be a lock to get into the Hall of Fame.

How is Ed Reed a lock and Troy Polamalu on the fringe? Reed has never been to a Super Bowl, Polamalu has two rings. Polamalu is a better all-around player than Reed. You could put Polamalu in center field only and he would be just as good if not better than Reed. Also, in the AFCCG against the Ravens all the talk leading up to the game was what would Ed Reed do.....but Reed did nothing and Polamalu made the play that clinched the game for the Steelers.

As for Ward, he may never make it but I think he has a better shot than people think. He isn't known for big plays like Owens or Moss. But he is the best blocking receiver of his era (if not ever) and he has two more Super Bowl rings than Owens and Moss combined. He also played in more of a run-oriented offense for most of his career....something Owens and Moss cannot say. I say one more Super Bowl ring and he will damn sure get in.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Blah blah blah.....How can you say Hines "may come up short" I know everyone debates whether or not he'll be a lock. He still has a damn good shot.

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by kmsteelerwr15 View Post
    So then shouldn't LT be taken out then?
    Don't forget OJ!

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

holy cow!

everybody is missing a very important ingredient in this discussion which is stated as clear as day in the original article.

Which active players have already done enough to punch their tickets for Canton? From that fundamental question come these questions:

basically, which ACTIVE players have enough accomplishments under their belt as of today to stand up to Hall of Fame voters and get elected.

ben only has 6 years in the league. to be called a boarderline lock is quite a compliment. however, if he submarines his career tomorrow, his 2 rings and 6 years worth of stats are probably not enough to stand alone.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Blah blah blah.....How can you say Hines "may come up short" I know everyone debates whether or not he'll be a lock. He still has a damn good shot.
    Hines Ward is not a lock because better receivers like Cris Carter havent been able to get in.

With or without 2 superbowl wins, and a super mvp, he still has a strong chance not to make it.

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

I think Hines will make it into the HoF. Probably not a first ballot guy but I feel like he is going to be voted in eventually. I'm going to guess Ward has two or three solid seasons left in him. If so he should finish his career with about 14,000 receiving yards, over 1,000 catches and somewhere near 100 receiving TDs. If he can reach these numbers he should retire in the top 15 all-time receivers statistically. Factor also the two rings, SB MVP and blocking ability he should someday enter the hall.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xX-TSK-Xx View Post
    I think Hines will make it into the HoF. Probably not a first ballot guy but I feel like he is going to be voted in eventually.
    Exactly. Swann didn't get in on his numbers either (which were considered unimpressive even for a WR of his era), and he had to wait awhile because of that. I think the same will probably be true of Hines.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Hines Ward is not a lock because better receivers like Cris Carter havent been able to get in.

With or without 2 superbowl wins, and a super mvp, he still has a strong chance not to make it.
    It's a mistake to underestimate championships (particularly when a player has been a part of winning more than one), when it comes to HoF balloting. Namath is in there primarily because of his flamboyance off the field and winning ONE game (as historic as that one game was). The guy threw 50+ more INTs than TDs in his career and the Jets as a team stunk for the vast majority of it. Numbers-wise, Ken Anderson was a WAY better QB than Namath was, and yet he's still on the outside looking in. That's not just the case with QBs, either - it goes for other positions as well. Randy Gradishar's (another player I think should have gone in YEARS ago) career numbers almost mirror Lambert's, yet Lambert (deservedly) went in on the first ballot, and Gradishar is STILL not in there. The major difference there is the number of rings - Lambert: 4, Gradishar: 0.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Hines will make it. He may need to wait awhile like Art Monk did, but I think he will make it. Monk had to wait a long time and he had stats and 3 rings...but he got in.