Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Steelers' reactions to Super Bowl LIII

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Pittsburgh Steelers' reactions to Super Bowl LIII

Is that Omar Khan next to Joe G.? Nice to see Harrison and AJRII nice and cozy.

The Steelers aren't in the Super Bowl, but several of Pittsburgh's players had plenty to say about Sunday's big game between the Patriots and Rams. Below are some of the comments from Steelers' players during and after Super Bowl LIII. The Steelers will look to return to the Super Bowl in 2019 after a nine-year absence.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...5504#1127257_3

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Pittsburgh Steelers' reactions to Super Bowl LIII

The Steelers will look to return to the Super Bowl in 2019 after a nine-year absence.
    Just your friendly reminder that over a 10-year timespan, every single team in the league should have more than a 60% chance of appearing in at least one Super Bowl, simply by the law of averages.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Is that Omar Khan next to Joe G.? Nice to see Harrison and AJRII nice and cozy.

The Steelers aren't in the Super Bowl, but several of Pittsburgh's players had plenty to say about Sunday's big game between the Patriots and Rams. Below are some of the comments from Steelers' players during and after Super Bowl LIII. The Steelers will look to return to the Super Bowl in 2019 after a nine-year absence.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...5504#1127257_3
    I was wondering who that was next to Mean Joe. Never seen Omar's picture

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Only 10 different teams have appeared in the SB in the last 10 years.

It is really hard to get to the SB. Averages don't work in the NFL perhaps?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Only 10 different teams have appeared in the SB in the last 10 years.

It is really hard to get to the SB. Averages don't work in the NFL perhaps?
    Well, you have to be better than average to make it ... But I thought that's what we were supposed to be.

Like, I realize 60% (actually 62.5%) is an overly simplified way of looking at it - but on the other hand, maybe not.

For all intents and purposes, you can throw out a bunch of teams like the Browns, Redskins, Lions, Raiders, Bucs, Bills, Jets, Dolphins ... they essentially wasted an entire decade and gave their chances to one of the other teams to be in it more than once. (The last three, in particular, went above and beyond to hand their chances directly to one particular team). What you have really got are about 20-24 teams competing for 20 spots ... those teams can also be more or less split into a top and a bottom tier - I mean, you're giving the benefit of the doubt to teams like the Bengals and the Texans, which is pretty questionable ... and other teams who made it once and sucked for 8 or 9 out of the 10 years (49ers, Cardinals) are on the list by default.

So are we supposed to be in the top tier or the bottom tier? Either way, it sucks. Top tier means we've wasted way more opportunities than we should. Bottom tier means - what the fuck have we been doing for a decade, if we're not more than marginal contenders, we need to change our approach.

Either one is a pretty poor outcome if the same people have been running the show for 10 years. You've been coaching the 49ers for a couple seasons, to a certain extent you can say "it was like that when I got here." A decade is long enough that there are no excuses. Things change enough for even the worst team in the league to be competing for championships if they make the right moves. In fact, the entire system is set up to enable that. What's our excuse?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well, you have to be better than average to make it ... But I thought that's what we were supposed to be.

Like, I realize 60% (actually 62.5%) is an overly simplified way of looking at it - but on the other hand, maybe not.

For all intents and purposes, you can throw out a bunch of teams like the Browns, Redskins, Lions, Raiders, Bucs, Bills, Jets, Dolphins ... they essentially wasted an entire decade and gave their chances to one of the other teams to be in it more than once. (The last three, in particular, went above and beyond to hand their chances directly to one particular team). What you have really got are about 20-24 teams competing for 20 spots ... those teams can also be more or less split into a top and a bottom tier - I mean, you're giving the benefit of the doubt to teams like the Bengals and the Texans, which is pretty questionable ... and other teams who made it once and sucked for 8 or 9 out of the 10 years (49ers, Cardinals) are on the list by default.

So are we supposed to be in the top tier or the bottom tier? Either way, it sucks. Top tier means we've wasted way more opportunities than we should. Bottom tier means - what the fuck have we been doing for a decade, if we're not more than marginal contenders, we need to change our approach.

Either one is a pretty poor outcome if the same people have been running the show for 10 years. You've been coaching the 49ers for a couple seasons, to a certain extent you can say "it was like that when I got here." A decade is long enough that there are no excuses. Things change enough for even the worst team in the league to be competing for championships if they make the right moves. In fact, the entire system is set up to enable that. What's our excuse?
    Huh? I can see some of that. There are clearly teams whose goal for a given year is not winning a SB, but creating and following a path to improvement.

But then you have teams like the Saints, Packers, Cowboys, Chiefs, Steelers, Chargers, and list whoever else you want that haven't really been in a SB during your window either.

I just think that this board in particular wildly overestimates how easy it is to make a SB run. Literally everything has to go right for a team to pull it off. One way to look at it is that "Team X has totally failed to make and win a SB in 10 years so those in charge are incompetent morons." Another is, "Wow, most NFL teams run through boom and bust cycles with far more bust years. This team has been a consistent winner and in the conversation for possible SB teams almost every year for 2 decades now. That's pretty much unheard of."

Perspectives are individual and can readily and reasonably vary. I'm gonna stick with an optimistic one and enjoy the fact that the team I root for hasn't been consigned to wandering the NFL wilderness for some time now. No one else has to take the same viewpoint.

Huh? I can see some of that. There are clearly teams whose goal for a given year is not winning a SB, but creating and following a path to improvement.

But then you have teams like the Saints, Packers, Cowboys, Chiefs, Steelers, Chargers, and list whoever else you want that haven't really been in a SB during your window either.

I just think that this board in particular wildly overestimates how easy it is to make a SB run. Literally everything has to go right for a team to pull it off. One way to look at it is that "Team X has totally failed to make and win a SB in 10 years so those in charge are incompetent morons." Another is, "Wow, most NFL teams run through boom and bust cycles with far more bust years. This team has been a consistent winner and in the conversation for possible SB teams almost every year for 2 decades now. That's pretty much unheard of."

Perspectives are individual and can readily and reasonably vary. I'm gonna stick with an optimistic one and enjoy the fact that the team I root for hasn't been consigned to wandering the NFL wilderness for some time now. No one else has to take the same viewpoint.
    "Could be worse"

That definitely is one way of looking at it. Another way is what Sean Connery said in that movie that one time. "Losers whine about doing their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

I definitely am more in the second camp.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

"Could be worse"

That definitely is one way of looking at it. Another way is what Sean Connery said in that movie that one time. "Losers whine about doing their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

I definitely am more in the second camp.
    Fair enough. It should be noted that if I understand the perspective you are taking appropriately (and I likely don't!) there is only one team in the NFL that is meeting that standard - the New England Patriots. Maybe the Seattle Seahawks.

So 30-31 teams are falling short of the benchmark. How realistic is the benchmark then? Again, not trying to say you are wrong - just trying to engage in a discussion about what is and isn't realistic fan expectations in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Fair enough. It should be noted that if I understand the perspective you are taking appropriately (and I likely don't!) there is only one team in the NFL that is meeting that standard - the New England Patriots. Maybe the Seattle Seahawks.

So 30-31 teams are falling short of the benchmark. How realistic is the benchmark then? Again, not trying to say you are wrong - just trying to engage in a discussion about what is and isn't realistic fan expectations in the NFL.
    For the Steelers, the standard should be high. I remember this team from the late 50's and 60's. I think Dan Rooney and Chuck Noll set the bar high and I'm glad they did, I see no reason to go back. I think with the history, hard work & guts of this team they should be deep playoff contenders every year (barring injuries to major players). I think everyone in the Steeler organization expects this. I mean the SB is the goal but most teams and players seem to have self-glory and money as a goal. I think if AB decides to come back great! But you have a guy like him on SB night twitting Steeler Nation asking them if they want him back, meanwhile Edelman is winning the SB and MVP of the game. The difference is Edelman with all his warts is a 100% team player and AB with his warts isn't. Those are edges that move teams forward imo.

For the Steelers, the standard should be high. I remember this team from the late 50's and 60's. I think Dan Rooney and Chuck Noll set the bar high and I'm glad they did, I see no reason to go back. I think with the history, hard work & guts of this team they should be deep playoff contenders every year (barring injuries to major players). I think everyone in the Steeler organization expects that. I mean the SB is the goal but most teams and players goal is the money and glory.
    That would be great! But only ONE franchise has done that in this parity filled salary cap driven era - the New England Patriots. And according to a great percentage of football fans that isonly because they cheat and bend the rules to win.

Might be that, as die-hard fanatics, we have totally unrealistic expectations for our favorite team each year. Don't know. But I do think it is interesting to talk about.

Personally, I do not think that a deep playoff run each and every year is realistic. In fact, I am not sure that being an annual 9-7 to 11-5 team isn't a detriment to actual getting to and winning a SB. Other than the Patriots, almost every recent winning team had to have a couple of losing seasons to get elite draft picks to reinvigorate the franchise.

The only problem I have with the current iteration of the Steelers, as an organization, is the apparent lack of a plan on defense. Like I have no idea what they are trying to build towards. Do they want to play more base, more nickel, a bunch of dime...no idea. Someone needs to have a clear vision and move towards it. Offense, they have one. Draft day, seem to have one. Contract and cap stuff, clearly have a plan. But that one aspect...

That would be great! But only ONE franchise has done that in this parity filled salary cap driven era - the New England Patriots. And according to a great percentage of football fans that isonly because they cheat and bend the rules to win.

Might be that, as die-hard fanatics, we have totally unrealistic expectations for our favorite team each year. Don't know. But I do think it is interesting to talk about.

Personally, I do not think that a deep playoff run each and every year is realistic. In fact, I am not sure that being an annual 9-7 to 11-5 team isn't a detriment to actual getting to and winning a SB. Other than the Patriots, almost every recent winning team had to have a couple of losing seasons to get elite draft picks to reinvigorate the franchise.

The only problem I have with the current iteration of the Steelers, as an organization, is the apparent lack of a plan on defense. Like I have no idea what they are trying to build towards. Do they want to play more base, more nickel, a bunch of dime...no idea. Someone needs to have a clear vision and move towards it. Offense, they have one. Draft day, seem to have one. Contract and cap stuff, clearly have a plan. But that one aspect...

I was adding to my quote when you posted. I think some of the success of the pats comes from small bits and pieces of everyday football life drilled home. I found some of this interesting

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frances.../#1c47f4d2bf66

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playof...g-conditioning

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I just think that this board in particular wildly overestimates how easy it is to make a SB run. Literally everything has to go right for a team to pull it off.
    Yep - the Patriots were literally one Dee Ford neutral zone infraction from not making the SB at all. And I also think KC takes it down and scores a TD if they'd have won the OT coin flip instead.

I was adding to my quote when you posted. I think some of the success of the pats comes from small bits and pieces of everyday football life drilled home. I found some of this interesting

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frances.../#1c47f4d2bf66

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playof...g-conditioning
    I bet that is part of it - particularly because their roster is so many new parts each season and even between the end of the season and the beginning. The constant need to integrate new players and adjust roles likely drives a big need to consistently monitor fitness and conditioning.

Just to be a bit of a jerk -- lets not lose sight of the fact that the gritty, team first, Superbowl MVP was suspended for 4 games for violating the PED policy. I am growing really tired of the need to attribute the Patriots run of success to some mystical aura of leadership and grittiness. It is pretty darn simple. The have the best QB on the planet for the entire run. An offense catered to his strengths. And a coach who is able to devise and install a defensive system on an almost weekly basis.

For instance, the Patriots played a predominate amount of man coverage all 2018. Then last night they played almost all zone. And looked like the best zone cover team in football doing it. They did this to counter the core concepts of McVay's offense. In turn, McVay had nothing. I mean I guess that is a bit of leadership and experience, but it is mostly knowing that you better show up in the SB with new crap. The Pats brought new crap to the SB and the Rams trotted out the same old stuff the Pats had spent 2 weeks watching on film. Not mysticism. In contrast, last year the Eagles ran new stuff and lo and behold they beat the gritty leadership filled automatons of football.

I guess my point can be boiled down to this: The Patriots do not win because they have found some secret sauce to roster construction, team management, or physical fitness. They have realized that if you give anyone 2 weeks to plan, they can come up with something to beat what you already have on film. So show up with some unexpected shit combined with 2-3 things that you can do so damn well it doesn't matter what the other team does or knows. That is why the Pats never blow anyone out in a SB. They showed up last night with a zone scheme to make Goff have to anticipate - just like someone posted, Goff sucks at that. Then on offense they showed up with 3 plays. 2 power runs and that play they ran 3 straight times on the TD drive. The Rams failed to have ANY answers for that. Last year the Eagles did. Who knows what next year brings.

But in the meantime we will hear about culture and leadership. Why do we not hear about how the Patriots are just really really really good at football? Or maybe identifying and exposing the weak link in the Rams right guard over and over and over again is leadership, but I don't think that is what people are talking about...

I bet that is part of it - particularly because their roster is so many new parts each season and even between the end of the season and the beginning. The constant need to integrate new players and adjust roles likely drives a big need to consistently monitor fitness and conditioning.

Just to be a bit of a jerk -- lets not lose sight of the fact that the gritty, team first, Superbowl MVP was suspended for 4 games for violating the PED policy. I am growing really tired of the need to attribute the Patriots run of success to some mystical aura of leadership and grittiness. It is pretty darn simple. The have the best QB on the planet for the entire run. An offense catered to his strengths. And a coach who is able to devise and install a defensive system on an almost weekly basis.

For instance, the Patriots played a predominate amount of man coverage all 2018. Then last night they played almost all zone. And looked like the best zone cover team in football doing it. They did this to counter the core concepts of McVay's offense. In turn, McVay had nothing. I mean I guess that is a bit of leadership and experience, but it is mostly knowing that you better show up in the SB with new crap. The Pats brought new crap to the SB and the Rams trotted out the same old stuff the Pats had spent 2 weeks watching on film. Not mysticism. In contrast, last year the Eagles ran new stuff and lo and behold they beat the gritty leadership filled automatons of football.

But everything has to be built on a foundation this is what old Bill has started with and what I think McVay has started with, at least from what I have read. Same rules, same treatment for everyone

But everything has to be built on a foundation this is what old Bill has stat=rted with and what I think McVay has started with, at least from what I have read.
    There is really only one difference between the approach of the Patriots and the rest of the league. The rest of the league decides that they are this and that kind of offense and a such and such style of defense and then attempts to drill that into players heads through repetition so that players will always act/react in predictable ways on Sundays. In contrast, the Patriots have decided "screw that. why don't we just be a new team every few weeks."

Great article on how at least for the SB, the Patriots just did different things and the Rams leaned on their same old tendencies: https://deadspin.com/how-the-patriot...can-1832326941

I think attempting to understand how the Patriots staff is able implement new schemes every few weeks and have players understand their responsibilities in multiple scenarios at the same time is the key to "unlocking" the mystery of their dominance. Maybe they just roster smarter players? I don't know. But the rest of the teams seem to struggle to get guys to understand one concept at a time while the Patriots are teaching guys 3 concepts at a time.

There is really only one difference between the approach of the Patriots and the rest of the league. The rest of the league decides that they are this and that kind of offense and a such and such style of defense and then attempts to drill that into players heads through repetition so that players will always act/react in predictable ways on Sundays. In contrast, the Patriots have decided "screw that. why don't we just be a new team every few weeks."

Great article on how at least for the SB, the Patriots just did different things and the Rams leaned on their same old tendencies: https://deadspin.com/how-the-patriot...can-1832326941

I think attempting to understand how the Patriots staff is able implement new schemes every few weeks and have players understand their responsibilities in multiple scenarios at the same time is the key to "unlocking" the mystery of their dominance. Maybe they just roster smarter players? I don't know. But the rest of the teams seem to struggle to get guys to understand one concept at a time while the Patriots are teaching guys 3 concepts at a time.
    Good article. The bottom line imo it starts with how you run your ship, starting with the little things, that is what makes the difference and that is directed by HC.

The point is not how many, or how few, other teams are meeting that standard. It is that your team SHOULD be aiming for that standard, because that is the only standard that is rewarded. And if you're not making progress toward it, then you should stop and evaluate what you're doing. I don't think it's "complaining" to question whether we're doing everything we can to reach that goal.

One way to look at is, "well, we're doing better than the Browns." I would say that we have more tools at this point than most teams to help us succeed, so we SHOULD be doing better than the Browns and that is nothing to celebrate.

There will come a time when we're not so fortunate, and it will be more like some of the early '90s teams where making the playoffs was exciting and you hoped they added a couple pieces next year, and it was good that they were going in the right direction.

At that point, assuming things do not deviate from the way they are now, I will not be looking back at the 2010s and thinking, "man, it was great that we did pretty good and made the playoffs pretty often," but rather, "damn, it's too bad we didn't win one more championship when we had a franchise QB and a loaded roster. That was kind of a waste, and now being several steps away really drives that home."

THAT'S the perspective that being better than the Browns brings. Competing for a championship is difficult, that's the whole point. People say, "oh, you're taking it for granted because the team is good and you're spoiled, so you complain about anything other than going 19-0 every year and even then you'd still find something to complain about!" No, more like you know that being in a position to compete for a championship is nothing to take for granted, and to have it be within reach and keep missing it is a terrible waste, because the window could, in fact, be gone just like that.

I mean, I assume most of us have other teams we follow in different sports; it's not like the Steelers are the only point of reference and all anyone knows is rooting for a successful team. The "spoiled Steelers fan" argument is pretty ridiculous to me.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Good article. The bottom line imo starts with how you run your ship, starting with the little things, that is what makes the difference and that comes from the HC.
    Doing hill sprints does not magically enable your players to grasp, assimilate, and enact defensive schemes at a rate that no other NFL team has been able to replicate. While it doesn't hurt and it stresses fundamentals, everything is important, yada-yada-yada; there is another piece or two. I am interested in what those other pieces are.

Do the Pats watch film differently? Do they approach game-plan installations differently? Do their coaches have different roles and responsibilities than other teams? Do they set-up and run their practice and position group meetings in a way that fosters quicker learning and understanding of concepts?

- - - Updated - - -

The point is not how many, or how few, other teams are meeting that standard. It is that your team SHOULD be aiming for that standard, because that is the only standard that is rewarded. And if you're not making progress toward it, then you should stop and evaluate what you're doing. I don't think it's "complaining" to question whether we're doing everything we can to reach that goal.

One way to look at is, "well, we're doing better than the Browns." I would say that we have more tools at this point than most teams to help us succeed, so we SHOULD be doing better than the Browns and that is nothing to celebrate.

There will come a time when we're not so fortunate, and it will be more like some of the early '90s teams where making the playoffs was exciting and you hoped they added a couple pieces next year, and it was good that they were going in the right direction.

At that point, assuming things do not deviate from the way they are now, I will not be looking back at the 2010s and thinking, "man, it was great that we did pretty good and made the playoffs pretty often," but rather, "damn, it's too bad we didn't win one more championship when we had a franchise QB and a loaded roster. That was kind of a waste, and now being several steps away really drives that home."

THAT'S the perspective that being better than the Browns brings. Competing for a championship is difficult, that's the whole point. People say, "oh, you're taking it for granted because the team is good and you're spoiled, so you complain about anything other than going 19-0 every year and even then you'd still find something to complain about!" No, more like you know that being in a position to compete for a championship is nothing to take for granted, and to have it be within reach and keep missing it is a terrible waste, because the window could, in fact, be gone just like that.

I mean, I assume most of us have other teams we follow in different sports; it's not like the Steelers are the only point of reference and all anyone knows is rooting for a successful team. The "spoiled Steelers fan" argument is pretty ridiculous to me.
    I can see all that and I think I understand where you are coming from. I just think that any standard that no team in the league is meeting is not a realistic expectation. It sets you up for heartburn and anger as a fan. Personally, I follow the NFL for a distraction from the rotating stress ball shit-storm that my life can be sometimes. As a result, I (try to) enjoy the ups and downs of a season and figure any season where my team is in contention until Week 17+ is an enjoyable one. Does that mean that everything is fine and I don't wish some stuff changed? Of course not, that would be ridiculous. Any SB that the Steelers appear in, much less win, I take as a total surprise and that lets me watch some of this stuff without heartburn!

Doing hill sprints does not magically enable your players to grasp, assimilate, and enact defensive schemes at a rate that no other NFL team has been able to replicate. While it doesn't hurt and it stresses fundamentals, everything is important, yada-yada-yada; there is another piece or two. I am interested in what those other pieces are.

Do the Pats watch film differently? Do they approach game-plan installations differently? Do their coaches have different roles and responsibilities than other teams? Do they set-up and run their practice and position group meetings in a way that fosters quicker learning and understanding of concepts?
    No, it's not magically but its a part of the plan and I think that is how they build one piece at a time with no stone unturned and no room for divas unless they hop on board. Kind of hard when you have vet players snoring in meets, not showing up for meeting and missing game days.

- - - Updated - - -

I can see all that and I think I understand where you are coming from. I just think that any standard that no team in the league is meeting is not a realistic expectation. It sets you up for heartburn and anger as a fan. Personally, I follow the NFL for a distraction from the rotating stress ball shit-storm that my life can be sometimes. As a result, I (try to) enjoy the ups and downs of a season and figure any season where my team is in contention until Week 17+ is an enjoyable one. Does that mean that everything is fine and I don't wish some stuff changed? Of course not, that would be ridiculous. Any SB that the Steelers appear in, much less win, I take as a total surprise and that lets me watch some of this stuff without heartburn!
    I don't really think most of us are stressing out too much over the outcome of a football season in the grand scheme of things, and really any postseason success is a bonus for a fan of any team. You still can't help but look at the place this team is in right now and go, come on, you guys really can't get your shit together with all you have going for you?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I don't really think most of us are stressing out too much over the outcome of a football season in the grand scheme of things, and really any postseason success is a bonus for a fan of any team. You still can't help but look at the place this team is in right now and go, come on, you guys really can't get your shit together with all you have going for you?
    Sure. That is why I have (and it took me far too long to get here) a problem with the defensive approach. But the rest of it, I think it is largely just noise driven by frustrated egos searching for an outlet.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yes.
    And how do you know this or are you just working backwards from results to process?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

And how do you know this or are you just working backwards from results to process?
    Poise, preparation, actions and results. Plus a little sarcasm in the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Yep like Bill getting a sold-out team player like Edelman for 3 million per year @ 32 years old

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/julia...163505836.html

I suspect your right and would really really really really like someone to ask the Pats players and coaches those questions and come up with something near the actual answer other than "gritty leadership".

Artie Burns can't even keep track of both his feet and one WR in single man coverage and McCourty can track his guy and realize that the back-up safety didn't take the deep guy. Meanwhile, Davis can't even see Haden. Is it dumb players? Do the Pats just incept their players while they are sleeping?

I suspect your right and would really really really really like someone to ask the Pats players and coaches those questions and come up with something near the actual answer other than "gritty leadership".

Artie Burns can't even keep track of both his feet and one WR in single man coverage and McCourty can track his guy and realize that the back-up safety didn't take the deep guy. Meanwhile, Davis can't even see Haden. Is it dumb players? Do the Pats just incept their players while they are sleeping?
    If there is anything about the Patriots secret formula (other than cheating), it is likely that Belichick has the ability to cut through the bullshit and tell very quickly who is going to be a player that "gets it" and who is not. One thing I do not see a lot of on that team is players who struggle along for a couple years and are still starting, first-round picks farting around waiting for the light bulb to come on, and just a lot of the general churning without accomplishing anything that we tend to have. Just being able to identify, QUICKLY, the right player for a specific job, regardless of pedigree or Combine measurables. They also probably have a pretty well-practiced routine for teaching roles, which in turn helps separate the wheat from the chaff faster. Some dickhead like Burns shows up and doesn't get the hang of it, he probably doesn't even get on the field to begin with until he has his shit together.

Whereas we seem to get hung up on sunk costs and Baller Status, and pinning our hopes on one guy to be the Successor at a position with a capital S. And we will keep running him out there over and over hoping he is going to be "the" guy, and meanwhile over in Mordor, they kicked that guy out ages ago and tried two other guys, and it turns out some rando was good enough and they stuck with that guy, and have long since moved on to solving other problems.

We have a handful of heroes who we must stick to through thick and thin; Sauron has 10,000 orcs and just throws the toughest ones ar you.

Or I guess another way of looking at it is like we're playing draw poker and we have a pair of sixes, a pair of jacks, and an ace, and we won't throw away the ace because it's a good card. Or we're hoping the ace will turn into a jack if we stare hard enough at it. Or we're just too dumb to look at half our cards.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

If there is anything about the Patriots secret formula (other than cheating), it is likely that Belichick has the ability to cut through the bullshit and tell very quickly who is going to be a player that "gets it" and who is not. One thing I do not see a lot of on that team is players who struggle along for a couple years and are still starting, first-round picks farting around waiting for the light bulb to come on, and just a lot of the general churning without accomplishing anything that we tend to have. Just being able to identify, QUICKLY, the right player for a specific job, regardless of pedigree or Combine measurables. They also probably have a pretty well-practiced routine for teaching roles, which in turn helps separate the wheat from the chaff faster. Some dickhead like Burns shows up and doesn't get the hang of it, he probably doesn't even get on the field to begin with until he has his shit together.

Whereas we seem to get hung up on sunk costs and Baller Status, and pinning our hopes on one guy to be the Successor at a position with a capital S. And we will keep running him out there over and over hoping he is going to be "the" guy, and meanwhile over in Mordor, they kicked that guy out ages ago and tried two other guys, and it turns out some rando was good enough and they stuck with that guy, and have long since moved on to solving other problems.

We have a handful of heroes who we must stick to through thick and thin; Sauron has 10,000 orcs and just throws the toughest ones ar you.

Or I guess another way of looking at it is like we're playing draw poker and we have a pair of sixes, a pair of jacks, and an ace, and we won't throw away the ace because it's a good card. Or we're hoping the ace will turn into a jack if we stare hard enough at it. Or we're just too dumb to look at half our cards.
    All good points and laugh out loud funny to boot. I wonder why no one from that staff can transport the same principles with success elsewhere? Is Sauron just that much smarter than everyone else in all of football?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

All good points and laugh out loud funny to boot. I wonder why no one from that staff can transport the same principles with success elsewhere? Is Sauron just that much smarter than everyone else in all of football?
    A lot easier to work under the thumb of a grandmaster than running the show as the head man yourself.