Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schefter: Steelers May Still Use Transition Tag On Le’Veon Bell

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Schefter: Steelers May Still Use Transition Tag On Le’Veon Bell

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well, a big part of it is that we had the #1 running back in the league and the #1 receiver in the league on the same team, and both of those guys are ... malfunctioning ... at the same time. I don't think that's ever happened before.
    I’m understanding that, but is that a Tomlin issue because he’s unable to deal with his divas, or a Colbert issue because he was instrumental in drafting them or is it Mr Rooney’s fault because he’s in charge of the team. I’ve lived long enough to remember all the drama around Bradshaw and Joe Gilliam and we got through that, with a couple of more SB rings. Sad to say,losing Gilliam......but that’s another story. With the exception of few games, the Steelers have always had close games, I’m sure my heart is none to pleased about that.....and I’m getting way off the subject of Bell’s potential tag, just trying to get perspective.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

So for any cap wizards here, how would tagging him benefit us at all? Especially if another team bids higher and we don't match, dont we lose out on a comp pick? Sounds like a lose lose to me, unless we're just trying to prove a point to him that he won't be getting the money he's asking for, and honestly sounds petty. If he's forced to play here under the transition tag, if he complained about 14.5 million or 70 million not being enough, he certainly won't have a good attitude about the transition tag.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    how would tagging him benefit us at all?

here is how it can benefit the Steelers ....

say a few teams are interested and Bell brings back an offer sheet steelers match Bell is then a Steeler for 2019 BUT instead of keeping him we immediately place him on the trade block .... whatever deal we are able to work out becomes ours instead of the late 3rd round comp ...

it is risky to a degree but one has to believe you can trade him for more than a late 3rd round pick
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    here is how it can benefit the Steelers ....

say a few teams are interested and Bell brings back an offer sheet steelers match Bell is then a Steeler for 2019 BUT instead of keeping him we immediately place him on the trade block .... whatever deal we are able to work out becomes ours instead of the late 3rd round comp ...

it is risky to a degree but one has to believe you can trade him for more than a late 3rd round pick
    Ok thanks for explaining. Also I hear if we make moves in free agency we may lose out on the comp pick either way, is that true? In that sense it sounds like this may be the way to go, if they're planning on making some signings. Really don't know how comp picks work though

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Bell will not sign any transition tag offered to him. Might as well just let him walk. They already played hardball and won. He lost $14.5 million and a year of his prime and now he still may not get the contract he wants. Bell lost, move on

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Ok thanks for explaining. Also I hear if we make moves in free agency we may lose out on the comp pick either way, is that true? In that sense it sounds like this may be the way to go, if they're planning on making some signings. Really don't know how comp picks work though
    The tranny tag does not affect comp picks at all. If we lose him to a higher offer, it's treated like a regular free agent loss and factored in to the league's black-box formula. It only ever gives us bullshit anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Where it helps us is in a case like:

Bell: "All right y'all, who's got my $17 mil?"

Colts: "Sorry, we're only willing to pay $9M."

Bell: "Naw, how bout anyone else? New York, I know you got me dog!"

Jets: "Sorry, we got enough problems, we can only offer you a 1-year prove-it deal"

Bell: "All right, well I like partying so I'ma just play with Miami even though the deal's for a little less."

Steelers: "No you're not."

Bell: "Fuck you I hate you. I ain't signing no stupid deal with you."

Steelers: "You don't have to, we matched it. You can play here for $7 million or sit out again."

Bell: "Well I'm gonna bitch on social media and write angry rap lyrics about how unfair it is for pro athletes, and tell everyone that for 7 mil I might as well change my name to Sla'veon."

Steelers: "Whatever Sla'veon, either play football or don't."

Well, actually that still sounds pretty stupid. I don't think there's any way he ever plays for us under that scenario, so it would have to be more like what dwins says, where you sign and trade him, only you could actually trade him this time because he would be on a real multi-year contract, not the franchise tag.

As we're seeing with Brown though, eating all the bonus money up front makes that difficult, and we'd be matching the contract on someone else's terms, so it probably wouldn't be super trade-friendly.

The other thing the tranny tag gives us is more time to negotiate a multi-year deal, even if that is also for a sign-and-trade, and that could be on our terms.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

FWIW this is what Pro Football Focus contends will be Bell's market value in an article on the top 10 free agents that the Steelers may need to match if they want to play tag & trade with Bell

7. Le’Veon Bell

Bell comes with all kinds of red flags. He has had past injuries. He has had off the field suspensions. Nobody knows what kind of shape he is in. He has a lot of miles on his tires from his use in Pittsburgh. But he is dynamic and the best offensive talent that will be available this year. Given the amount of cap space a few teams have this year and how desperate those teams may be expecting someone to match his price but with a backloaded contract to give the team some added protection.”
    Projection: Four years, $60 million, $33 million GTD

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...agents-in-2019

Gurley flaming out in the NFC championship game and Super Bowl after a knee injury of uncertain severity presumably will not be cited by Bell's agent when seeking a Gurley level contract.

Should the Rams Worry About Todd Gurley’s Mega Contract Extension?

Big-money deals for running backs rarely (if ever) work out long term and are questionable investments even when they’re playing at a high level. But if Gurley has already declined before becoming the league’s highest-paid running back, this is a salary catastrophe for the Rams.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/2...rams-extension

Of course any doubts about long term deals for RBs also will depress the value of what the Steelers may get in a trade if they try to leverage the transition tag system to get a better draft pick in a Bell trade.

Maybe concede this process has not worked out well for anyone and just take whatever compensatory pick you get to close the book on Bell.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don’t think the Steelers would scoff at paying him 4 years $60M. What was their original offer again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I don’t think the Steelers would scoff at paying him 4 years $60M. What was their original offer again?
    3-45 I think

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What makes the most sense to me team-wise is tag Bell. If he signs this time shop him. If a trade works out, GREAT! If not he is a valuable offensive weapon on this team. Again, GREAT! Then after 2019 you let him walk. IMO, he is worth the most to the Steelers on the field, or in trade for comparable talent. I think he has been worth more than a third round comp pick. That would be my last choice but it beats getting nothing.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Team-by-team look at potential 2019 tag candidates

Posted by Mike Florio on February 17, 2019

Steelers: Multiple reports have indicated that the Steelers plan to use the transition tag on running back Le'Veon Bell, apparently in the hopes of trading him. If so, things could get even uglier, with a fight over the amount of the tag and a determined lack of cooperation from Bell, who would need to go along with the plan in order for the plan to work the way the Steelers would like it to.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ag-candidates/