Thread: HOF committee a joke, snubs Faneca yet again

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

HOF committee a joke, snubs Faneca yet again

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...quippas-ty-law

9 pro bowls, best guard of his era, yet 4 times eligible and passed each time. The HOF committee is a joke and has an anti-Steeler bias because "Derp, there's too many steelers in the HOF". Once again I won't be watching the HOF inductions

Meanwhile Ty Law gets in because Bellichick and golden boy Brady told them to

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: HOF committee a joke, snubs Faneca yet again

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...quippas-ty-law

9 pro bowls, best guard of his era, yet 4 times eligible and passed each time. The HOF committee is a joke and has an anti-Steeler bias because "Derp, there's too many steelers in the HOF". Once again I won't be watching the HOF inductions

Meanwhile Ty Law gets in because Bellichick and golden boy Brady told them to
    I thought Faneca was going to get bumped for Steve Hutchinson to start freeing up the backlog of deserving OL but Hutchinson did not make it either

At least center Kevin Mawae got in to represent the OL

Troy eligible next year

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    No love for the OL - I thought Faneca was going to get bumped for Steve Hutchinson to start freeing up the backlog of deserving OL but he did not make it either

Troy eligible next year
    Troy better make it in next year

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Faneca won't sniff the HOF until Hutchinson gets in. Right or wrong, Hutchinson was viewed as tyeore dominant player during parts of their careers that overlapped.

If Troy Polamalu doesn't waltz in on a unanimous ballot, they may as well close the place up.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Faneca won't sniff the HOF until Hutchinson gets in. Right or wrong, Hutchinson was viewed as tyeore dominant player during parts of their careers that overlapped.

If Troy Polamalu doesn't waltz in on a unanimous ballot, they may as well close the place up.
    If TP43 isn't in next year the place may spontaneously combust.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    p.
    Yeah, I thought Hutchinson would beat Faneca into the HOF....not Mawae.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Ty Law is in the Hall of Fame? He wasn't even that good. Like, I'm surprised to hear he was even on the ballot.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Ty Law is in the Hall of Fame? He wasn't even that good. Like, I'm surprised to hear he was even on the ballot.
    The HOF is getting more and more political, Brady sent a letter recommending him. Why are these committees influenced by outside people? Which for some reason reminds me of Yasser Arafat receiving the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-englan...ame-128531225/

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    The HOF is getting more and more political, Brady sent a letter recommending him. Why are these committees influenced by outside people? Which for some reason reminds me of Yasser Arafat receiving the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994.

Maybe they felt bad for him! Yasser look like something I caught fishing using corn as bait.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

The HOF is going to have to scramble to put in players from the two generations of Patriots that have made 9 Super Bowls but it will find someone

For future inductees I see the obvious Belichick, Brady & Gronk but anyone after that (Vinateri?) who is not already in is a reach

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, I thought Hutchinson would beat Faneca into the HOF....not Mawae.

Exactly.

I think both guards should have gotten in before Mawae.

Also, Ty Law doesn't belong. He was a very good player, but I don't consider him to be an elite corner deserving of the HOF.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

It would be great if Faneca and Troy went in together next year!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

No LC and no Donnie Shell.

HOF has been a joke for years. Especially w/blowhards like peter king and his anti Steeler bias.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Exactly.

Also, Ty Law doesn't belong. He was a very good player, but I don't consider him to be an elite corner deserving of the HOF.
    IDK, Ty Law and his 53 career INT were not too shabby. He wasn't a guy with 4.4 speed , but somebody that just always seemed to be locked onto his receiver and made big plays at big times. I can see him getting in, but can also see if he had to wait a while to get in and it has been 9 years.

As much as I liked Steve Atwater, I just don't see that he gets in ever. Best thing he did was hit Christian Okoye and that isn't HOF worthy IMO.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Exactly.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If Troy doesn't make it next year, the HoF pretty much has as much meaning as the Pro Bowl (zilch)

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Its a joke if Troy isn't a first ballot HoF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There is no way that both Polamalu and Faneca get in next year.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I think its pretty safe to say Troy will be a first ballot hall of famer. I don't think we have to worry about that. I hope Faneca can get in soon.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think all HOF's are just so dumb about the admissions process. Why limit the class size? What is the point of making some guy wait 15 years to get in through the veterans committee or some other nonsense.

No limit to class sizes. Can be up for consideration 3 or 4 times. Either you get in or you don't. Some years 5 guys get in. Some years 15. Why all this "gatekeeper" nonsense?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Agree. If they are HOF, they’re HOF. No need to wait...it’s stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Agree. If they are HOF, they’re HOF. No need to wait...it’s stupid.
    Right? I think it just feeds blowhard sportswriters' egos.

We are serious men very seriously considering important and weighty matters about the legacy of pro football. Blow it out your ass. Maybe that was a big deal back in the day when everyone couldn't instantly see every game these guys played and only the local guys really knew how good some OG on a bad team was. But not anymore.

IDK, Ty Law and his 53 career INT were not too shabby. He wasn't a guy with 4.4 speed , but somebody that just always seemed to be locked onto his receiver and made big plays at big times. I can see him getting in, but can also see if he had to wait a while to get in and it has been 9 years.

As much as I liked Steve Atwater, I just don't see that he gets in ever. Best thing he did was hit Christian Okoye and that isn't HOF worthy IMO.
    I'm iffy on this one.

5 Probowls and 2 First Team all-pro weighs in his favor as does 2 SB rings. However, he is only 24th in INTs career wise, and he had an average to long career for DBs. Moreover, the same is true for passes defended. Heck, Ike Taylor played a couple years less and had 134 passes defended to Law's 108. Ike is 21st, Law is 43, one above Troy P. a safety his entire career. Perhaps, his best stat is INTs for TDs, of which he has 7, tied with Ed Reed. Not a bad feat for a CB. Of course, Rod and Charles Woodson, Sharper, Sanders, and so on all had 9 or more at the same position. For the all 2000s team (HOF team), he only made 2nd team. Of course, that's not something he has control of, but if analysts didn't think he deserved first team among his peers in a 10 years period, I have to wonder why he deserves to be a peer among the best of the best of the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm iffy on this one.

5 Probowls and 2 First Team all-pro weighs in his favor as does 2 SB rings. However, he is only 24th in INTs career wise, and he had an average to long career for DBs. Moreover, the same is true for passes defended. Heck, Ike Taylor played a couple years less and had 134 passes defended to Law's 108. Ike is 21st, Law is 43, one above Troy P. a safety his entire career. Perhaps, his best stat is INTs for TDs, of which he has 7, tied with Ed Reed. Not a bad feat for a CB. Of course, Rod and Charles Woodson, Sharper, Sanders, and so on all had 9 or more at the same position. For the all 2000s team (HOF team), he only made 2nd team. Of course, that's not something he has control of, but if analysts didn't think he deserved first team among his peers in a 10 years period, I have to wonder why he deserves to be a peer among the best of the best of the NFL?
    Yeah, I can think of when Ty Law broke in, the big name CB's in the late 90's were Deion Sanders and Aneas Williams. Then in the 2000's I would say that Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson were the top guys. Ty Law bridged both of those generations and was productive and somebody that locked down receivers for a good decade.

There were other guys in the era, like Troy Vincent, Sam Madison, Samari Rolle, Ronde Barber and later Asante Samuel. I think Law was a top corner, who's level of play was above the guys I just mentioned, but not as good as Sanders, Williams, Bailey, Woodson. I can see him getting in....but I can also see the argument that he wasn't at the same level as those top 4 guys mentioned and that is the standard of greatness that the HOF requires.

There were other guys in the era, like Troy Vincent, Sam Madison, Samari Rolle, Ronde Barber and later Asante Samuel. I think Law was a top corner, who's level of play was above the guys I just mentioned, but not as good as Sanders, Williams, Bailey, Woodson. I can see him getting in....but I can also see the argument that he wasn't at the same level as those top 4 guys mentioned and that is the standard of greatness that the HOF requires.
    The committee is going to induct players from teams that had dominant championship runs that would not make it otherwise since they cannot just induct the 70s Steelers, 80s Niners, and 90s Cowboys as a HOF team - IMO the most egregious example of that is Lynn Swann, who even by the standards for WRs of that era did not have HOF level stats

Will be interesting to see which Pats players with marginal HOF stats from the 2 generations of Pats dominance (2001-2004 and at least 2014-2018) may get in - look for someone like Richard Seymour with multiple All Pro seasons to make the cut

Or maybe someone such as Edelman?

Last edited by AtlantaDan; 02-04-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Added link to tweet & article on Edelman as HOF candidate

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

prime example of what Curt Popejoy would often ask ....

do you want a Hall of Fame

or do you want a hall of the very very good .........

Ty Law IMO is the latter ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Yeah, I can think of when Ty Law broke in, the big name CB's in the late 90's were Deion Sanders and Aneas Williams. Then in the 2000's I would say that Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson were the top guys. Ty Law bridged both of those generations and was productive and somebody that locked down receivers for a good decade.

Just looking purely at stats -- if Ty Law gets in, how do you keep Eugene Robinson out? I mean I know how...but Ty Law, as DWins posted, is really really good, but HOF? Not so much...?