Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward Embarrassed By State Of The Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Hines Ward Embarrassed By State Of The Steelers

“Embarrassing” isn’t a word often used in association with the Pittsburgh Steelers since Chuck Noll took over in 1969. But that’s how Hines Ward described the state of the franchise today.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/hi...-the-steelers/

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Hines Ward Embarrassed By State Of The Steelers

I heard that interview in the car and completely agree with Hines.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Hines Ward has a great conversation about the Steelers and excellent perspective IMO, starting at the 1:08.00 mark of this video.

some of his comments below are:

The standard is the standard....Mike Tomlin has to be accountable because the current standard is not the standard of the Pittsburgh Steelers

Explains how Hampton, Farrior, , Keisel, Porter, Ward, Bettis and all those vets had 1 rule...."keep my name out of your mouth when you are talking to the media". If we are a brotherhood, then come talk to me face to face and not in the media.

Recievers depend on Quarterbacks for our livelihood. When I hear stories of QB saying I'm not going to throw you the football, then that is a personal attack of taking food off our table.

When the president of the Steelers calls you, then you have to pick up the call. For Antonio Brown to not respond to the guy that pays your check, that is disrespectful. Hines told Stephen A, that if Mr. Rooney called him right now that he would have to cut the interview short to take the phone call.

They are all grown men, all over 30 years old. They need to sit in a room and say Ben, I don't like when you do that...AB, I don't like when you do that...Mike Tomlin say Ben, stop talking about players, AB stay off social media,......it aint about you, its about the team because That is The Standard.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The standard is everybody for himself and F the team. That's why they continue to underachieve and have so much drama. Whatever happened to simply playing the game?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Hines Ward has a great conversation about the Steelers and excellent perspective IMO, starting at the 1:08.00 mark of this video. ...

Explains how Hampton, Farrior, , Keisel, Porter, Ward, Bettis and all those vets had 1 rule...."keep my name out of your mouth when you are talking to the media". If we are a brotherhood, then come talk to me face to face and not in the media.
    Like this?

In a taped interview with Bob Costas aired beforehand on NBC's "Football Night in America," the Steelers' all-time leading receiver talked about the locker room being "like a 50-50 toss-up" over whether quarterback Ben Roethlisberger should have played last night despite a concussion from seven days earlier. Ward talked about lying to team doctors on occasions when he suffered from concussion symptoms and how many NFL players overlook them, statements that league officials won't relish reading and hearing amid an increased effort to protect players from such life-altering injuries. And he talked in such a way that his predecessor as the player voted the league's dirtiest, NBC analyst Rodney Harrison, criticized Ward for questioning his team leader's toughness...

"It's almost like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room: Should he play? Shouldn't he play? It's really hard to say. I've been out there dinged up; the following week, got right back out there. Ben practiced all week. He split time with Dennis Dixon. And then to find out that he's still having some headaches and not playing and it came down to the doctors didn't feel that they were going to clear him or not -- it's hard to say. Unless you're the person [himself]. ... I've lied to a couple of doctors saying I'm straight, I feel good when I know that I'm not really straight."

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/200911300141

Or this SI article when the team was the defending Super Bowl champ and Cowher was still the HC?

And while it would seem that the hard-nosed Ward would be the ideal Bill Cowher guy--tough, physical,intense--the wideout says he's never had a warm relationship with him. "I don't have anything to say to him," he says. "After what he did to me, after how he treated me, no. The numbers I put up? The seasons I had, for them to keep on bringing in guys...?"

https://www.si.com/vault/2006/05/15/...-long-way-home

Too bad for these former Steelers who prattle on about the good old days of the brotherhood that their former statements and conduct are just a cut and paste away online

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Like this?
    Good one... selective memory haha...

Ward is still right in principle even if he didn't always follow the rule.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Q: Is it the state of “drunkenness” (and “drivingness”)???

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

he should be embarrassed and so should we all , but instead many will just keep saying DERRRRRR DER is nuttin to any of dis shit .....

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    he should be embarrassed and so should we all , but instead many will just keep saying DERRRRRR DER is nuttin to any of dis shit .....

Deplorable - if only the old Steelers like Hines Ward were still around to maintain standards and not embarrass the franchise

Then again maybe not

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward had bloodshot eyes, stumbled through the alphabet, couldn't keep his balance and smelled strongly of alcohol when officers charged him with drunken driving in Atlanta on Saturday, according to a police report that offered new details into the early morning arrest.

https://www.post-gazette.com/local/c...s/201107120299

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Exactly.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't know what Hines is complaining about, there is nothing wrong with this team. I mean they had a winning season, they almost won the division last year and were a few bad calls away from a divisional round playoff loss I mean appearance. Why would the team keep most of the coaches if something was wrong?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I don't know what Hines is complaining about, there is nothing wrong with this team. I mean they had a winning season, they almost won the division last year and were a few bad calls away from a divisional round playoff loss I mean appearance. Why would the team keep most of the coaches if something was wrong?

Fingerprints.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Tomlin has never had a losing season. Tomlin > Belichick.

AB won't be a Steeler in 2019. He wants to win and he doesn't think its going to happen in Pittsburgh. He's probably right about that.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Hines Ward Embarrassed By State Of The Steelers

Oh no...let’s pile on a rag on another veteran for speaking the truth!!

Lol. As a fan if you’re not embarrassed, you’re drinking some kind of kool aid.

Bleier, Harrison, Ward, Bettis, Bradshaw, etc all saying similar things...yet they are just grumpy old men...lol.

Bottom line...franchise is fucked up right now and there’s been one common factor in all of their comments and it’s not AB or Ben.

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    AB won't be a Steeler in 2019. He wants to win and he doesn't think its going to happen in Pittsburgh. He's probably right about that.
    Oh Burn!!!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

And somehow orchestrating his own trade out of the Burgh to the 49ers (4-12 in 2018) will fix that?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Like this?

In a taped interview with Bob Costas aired beforehand on NBC's "Football Night in America," the Steelers' all-time leading receiver talked about the locker room being "like a 50-50 toss-up" over whether quarterback Ben Roethlisberger should have played last night despite a concussion from seven days earlier. Ward talked about lying to team doctors on occasions when he suffered from concussion symptoms and how many NFL players overlook them, statements that league officials won't relish reading and hearing amid an increased effort to protect players from such life-altering injuries. And he talked in such a way that his predecessor as the player voted the league's dirtiest, NBC analyst Rodney Harrison, criticized Ward for questioning his team leader's toughness...

"It's almost like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room: Should he play? Shouldn't he play? It's really hard to say. I've been out there dinged up; the following week, got right back out there. Ben practiced all week. He split time with Dennis Dixon. And then to find out that he's still having some headaches and not playing and it came down to the doctors didn't feel that they were going to clear him or not -- it's hard to say. Unless you're the person [himself]. ... I've lied to a couple of doctors saying I'm straight, I feel good when I know that I'm not really straight."

Or this SI article when the team was the defending Super Bowl champ and Cowher was still the HC?

And while it would seem that the hard-nosed Ward would be the ideal Bill Cowher guy--tough, physical,intense--the wideout says he's never had a warm relationship with him. "I don't have anything to say to him," he says. "After what he did to me, after how he treated me, no. The numbers I put up? The seasons I had, for them to keep on bringing in guys...?"

Too bad for these former Steelers who prattle on about the good old days of the brotherhood that their former statements and conduct are just a cut and paste away online

This is what everyone on the "Throw Tomlin overboard" train doesn't want to acknowledge.

Many of the ex-players bitching about the state of the Steelers did exactly the same things when they were there.

There is no getting around that simple fact. Every one of these guys had WTF moments publicly.....yet because they no longer play, they are romanticized as the pillars of how players should conduct themselves.

Complete and total hypocrisy.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

#pilngon

When Cowher was having his down year in 2003, all of a sudden, Plax being late to meetings was a “story” (whereas that story disappeared quickly once Cowher’s team started winning). Similarly, Cowher’s affair(s) only seemed to surface in the media after losses. Et cetera.

Look, Tomlin is not without fault. But, drunk drivers, liars, adulterers, and wife-beaters live in glass houses... and thus, they probably shouldn’t be throwing rocks.

What is ironic, is that these former players are finding every media outlet that they can in order to scream: “This should be handled behind closed doors.”

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    This is what everyone on the "Throw Tomlin overboard" train doesn't want to acknowledge.

Many of the ex-players bitching about the state of the Steelers did exactly the same things when they were there.

There is no getting around that simple fact. Every one of these guys had WTF moments publicly.....yet because they no longer play, they are romanticized as the pillars of how players should conduct themselves.

Complete and total hypocrisy.
    Totally. But it doesn’t change the state of the Steelers now and the state of the Steelers back then wasn’t publicly drama filled as it has been/is week in and week out. Sure you can say winning cures that but it hasn’t really cured that for this current group...even when winning, there’s some sort of drama surrounding the team.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Because the 49ers have done exactly what since 1998?

https://www.pro-football-reference.c.../sfo/index.htm

The link is the history of the 49ers franchise and a compilation of every season. What is it in that history that tells you that AB would have a better chance to win with the 49ers than staying with the Steelers?
    Fans here complain about what the Steelers have done since 2010!

Take a look at the franchise history of the Steelers and compare: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

People are getting too emotional about things and not thinking clearly. They just want heads to roll because......because......because they just want it OK!! I know it's frustrating because I feel the frustration too. I just think that some are overreacting. If there's another bad year then maybe it's time to think about going in a different direction, but just read what you said above and look at both of those links I posted. I don't understand how anyone can come to that conclusion. There is literally no evidence to support that.

Come on Shoes....get a hold of yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Totally. But it doesn’t change the state of the Steelers now and the state of the Steelers back then wasn’t publicly drama filled as it has been/is week in and week out. Sure you can say winning cures that but it hasn’t really cured that for this current group...even when winning, there’s some sort of drama surrounding the team.
    Unlike when that 2004-2010 team was at its peak after winning SB XLVIII 10 years ago

The Steelers today had little reaction to Ben Roethlisberger's comments that he played Super Bowl XLIII with two broken ribs.

"To our knowledge, he was ready, willing and able to go and obviously he performed admirably," said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers director of football operations.

The breaks did not show on an X-ray taken before the Super Bowl, but did turn up on an MRI he had in Pittsburgh last week, Roethlisberger told Peter King of Sports Illustrated.

"Fractured ribs," Roethlisberger said. "Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt. But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything they could have done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play."

Roethlisberger was not listed on the Steelers injury report at all before the Super Bowl, and did not miss a practice. Coach Mike Tomlin denied a report in the days leading to the Super bowl that Roethlisberger had x-rays taken on his back/ribs.

"Not that I heard," Tomlin said. "Ben's health is often the subject of inaccurate reports. He's fine."

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/200902090147

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    What is ironic, is that these former players are finding every media outlet that they can in order to scream: “This should be handled behind closed doors.”

It'll be nice when SB week is over and they all STFU.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

yet he flirts with the 49ers who have won in the last 5 seasons less games than the steelers last 2 ....

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

It'll be nice when SB week is over and they all STFU.
    Yep

FWIW I do not recall hearing anything about the current unpleasantness from Farrior, Aaron Smith, Keisel, Hampton, Faneca (hope he make it to Canton this weekend but doubt that will happen) or other vets I regarded as being among the leaders of the 2004-2010 teams.

Instead we have been hearing from the incessantly chatty Harrison, who never wanted to deal with the media when he was playing but now misses the attention, along with Cowher (who presumably has to speak since he is in Atlanta as part of the CBS crew for the Super Bowl) and two guys with failed media careers (Ward & Bettis).

AB has another paid appearance in Atlanta at 6 pm this evening so stay tuned for further wisdom from him

AB has another paid appearance in Atlanta at 6 pm this evening so stay tuned for further wisdom from him
    he will probably be late

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Like this?

Did you listen to the audio of the Stephen A Smith show from the 1:08.00 mark that was posted above?

What are your thoughts on the insight and opinions of how things currently are in the Steelers organization and how this likely could get resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    #pilngon

When Cowher was having his down year in 2003, all of a sudden, Plax being late to meetings was a “story” (whereas that story disappeared quickly once Cowher’s team started winning). Similarly, Cowher’s affair(s) only seemed to surface in the media after losses. Et cetera.

Look, Tomlin is not without fault. But, drunk drivers, liars, adulterers, and wife-beaters live in glass houses... and thus, they probably shouldn’t be throwing rocks.

Bleier hasn't said a ton on this , his social media ( twitter ) account has barely mentioned a thing ... but what he has said has been consistent with pretty much everyone else

Unlike when that 2004-2010 team was at its peak after winning SB XLVIII 10 years ago

The Steelers today had little reaction to Ben Roethlisberger's comments that he played Super Bowl XLIII with two broken ribs.

"To our knowledge, he was ready, willing and able to go and obviously he performed admirably," said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers director of football operations.

The breaks did not show on an X-ray taken before the Super Bowl, but did turn up on an MRI he had in Pittsburgh last week, Roethlisberger told Peter King of Sports Illustrated.

"Fractured ribs," Roethlisberger said. "Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt. But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything they could have done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play."

Roethlisberger was not listed on the Steelers injury report at all before the Super Bowl, and did not miss a practice. Coach Mike Tomlin denied a report in the days leading to the Super bowl that Roethlisberger had x-rays taken on his back/ribs.

"Not that I heard," Tomlin said. "Ben's health is often the subject of inaccurate reports. He's fine."

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/200902090147
    Lol. Little bit different than the extracurricular drama that surrounds this team. The Kardashian drama.

Even the beloved JuJu is in on the act: