Thread: Yes, Sean McVay is an offensive genius

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Yes, Sean McVay is an offensive genius

It’s widely accepted that Sean McVay is a football genius, which is a characterization that is almost exclusively reserved for older white offensive coaches. McVay’s age, 33, challenges only one element of the mold. But he has earned his reputation.
    In 2015 and 2016, the Los Angeles Rams were dead last in the NFL in offensive efficiency, with an EPA (expected points added) of minus 88 and minus 159, respectively.

https://theundefeated.com/features/r...ensive-genius/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Yes, Sean McVay is an offensive genius

I heard an interview with Bryant Gumbel (I think) and Gumbel gave McVay a date and time of a game and McVay could tell him the play that was called and what the result was. He gave him 3-4 dates and McVay knew them all. They say he knows every single play and result of every play that occurred..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I heard an interview with Bryant Gumbel (I think) and Gumbel gave McVay a date and time of a game and McVay could tell him the play that was called and what the result was. He gave him 3-4 dates and McVay knew them all. They say he knows every single play and result of every play that occurred..lol.

Refreshing! I wish him all success, he has much more personality than Belichick.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Refreshing! I wish him all success, he has much more personality than Belichick.
    That’s one thing I like about Belichick. His interviews are so drab and monotone I feel like he bores the reporters to death.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That’s one thing I like about Belichick. His interviews are so drab and monotone I feel like he bores the reporters to death.

he bores more than the reporters.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He's an offensive genius alright.....

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He Sean Paytoned himself tonight.

Well for a 33-year-old guy I think he did pretty good this year. Goff sucked.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Well for a 33-year-old guy I think he did pretty good. Goff sucked.

He needed a few more first down runs for no yards in the first half. I think that's exactly what they did the first 5 drives.

What was it.....8-9 consecutive punts?

He didn't come up with a single route combination the Patriots hadn't seen before.

He didn't adjust the running game to try to test the defense wide.

Once he couldn't run the ball, he couldn't run play action....and he had no answers. His quarterback was exposed by a defense that knew exactly what was coming.

Where were the new plays inserted just for this game in big spots?

Where were the deep passes in the first half to loosen up the defense when the Patriots were up to stuff the run and pressuring receivers at the LOS?

Sorry....he got completely outcoached in this game. His defensive coordinator kept him in the game, but he couldn't put together even one drive. He couldn't fool them with even one play.

I'm not saying this is the end of Sean McVay. I'm saying that everyone loves throwing that word around waaaaaay too much...particularly on a 33-year-old that hasn't proven it over time.

He needed a few more first down runs for no yards in the first half. I think that's exactly what they did the first 5 drives.

He didn't come up with a single route combination the Patriots hadn't seen before.

Once he couldn't run the ball, he couldn't run play action....and he had no answers. His quarterback was exposed by a defense that knew exactly what was coming.

Where were the deep passes in the first half to loosen up the defense when the Patriots were up to stuff the run and pressuring receivers at the LOS?

Sorry....he got completely outcoached in this game. His defensive coordinator kept him in the game, but he couldn't put together even one drive. He couldn't fool them with even one play.

I'm not saying this is the end of Sean McVay. I'm saying that everyone loves throwing that word around waaaaaay too much...particularly on a 33-year-old that hasn't proven it over time.
    Agreed, as did 31 other teams...again.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

33 years old, playing in his first Super Bowl against the greatest head coach of all-time, he got outfoxed by a guy who routinely outfoxed everyone for 18 years now. The fact that he got here given the state of the Rams 2 years ago is accomplishment enough. 2 years ago, did anyone think the Rams would sniff the Super Bowl in 2018 let alone make it? I didn't

Agreed, as did 31 other teams...again.

The difference is, he's the one everyone is calling an offensive genius. They got a 53-yard field goal......that's it. His side of the ball was what gave them a chance to win this game, and he rolled out a bad game plan. Sure, Goff played like crap and made some young QB mistakes, but he didn't put him in good positions the entire game. And it's not like his team was out of it. They were within 3 points the entire game. The entire playbook was available. He simply couldn't dial up anything that worked.

There was zero imagination in the game plan or play calling. You can't have a feeble offensive effort where your offense is completely inept.

Jeff Fisher would have been proud of that game plan.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That was the problem. Just did their tendencies.

The NFL is Darwinian and hard as balls.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Time will tell how good of a coach McVay is, whether or not he is the head man for the next NFL dynasty or the next perpetual NFL choker. Tonight was a terrible setback, but he has plenty of time to learn, he is only 33. Keep in mind, Bellichick the greatest head coach of all time was in his first year as Giants DC, he made his first postseason appearance in his 4th year at the age of 42 and didn't win his first Super Bowl until his 7th season at the age of 49. Let's see whether or not he learns from tonight

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Time will tell how good of a coach McVay is, whether or not he is the head man for the next NFL dynasty or the next perpetual NFL choker. Tonight was a terrible setback, but he has plenty of time to learn, he is only 33. Keep in mind, Bellichick the greatest head coach of all time was in his first year as Giants DC, he made his first postseason appearance in his 4th year at the age of 42 and didn't win his first Super Bowl until his 7th season at the age of 49. Let's see whether or not he learns from tonight
    No question this kid is going to be a good one., I've never heard Tomlin shoulder the responsibility like this without including others.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gameda...got-outcoached

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yup...that revolutionary new way of running an offense really put up zero TD's in the Super Bowl. Just cant wait to see the magic that Kingsbury and McVay's barista that is coaching in Green Bay bring to the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Sounds like what happens to the Steelers defense. Gameplan isn't working and they have no answers, no plan B.....ever...lol

No question this kid is going to be a good one., I've never heard Tomlin shoulder the responsibility like this without including others.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-gameda...got-outcoached

Everything I'm saying here isn't an indictment of McVay. It's addressing the original post saying he's a genius. He's a gifted and innovative offensive mind, but he has a lot of work to do before he earns that title.

He did a great job with the Rams this year. We'll find out more about him over time. The Rams signed a boatload of free agents this year, and the financial hit will be coming soon. Can he continue to grow, get his quarterback to improve, and will he be able to continue to be successful consistently over a long period of time? Those are the questions that will ultimately define him...not people declaring him a genius with a unique scheme and a roster loaded with talent.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yup...that revolutionary new way of running an offense really put up zero TD's in the Super Bowl. Just cant wait to see the magic that Kingsbury and McVay's barista that is coaching in Green Bay bring to the NFL.
    For some reason McVay got a lot dumber against good teams late in the season after Gurley got hurt

But I am certain guaranteeing $45 million to a running back will work out just fine since players in that position have a low risk of injury and long careers at peak productivity

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Exactly. If you watched the Eagles the prior year they came in with a ton of new plays and a trick play that was beautiful. They coached and played to win. The Rams were so pathetic it was sad. Yes Goff sucked but hell Romo was sitting there all game saying how the Pats were coming North and South up the field and taking away the running lanes. Jesus if Romo can see that how can the Rams not? They didn't run ONE darn screen pass until late in the game and it went for 20 yards. McVay looked like a deer in the headlights yesterday and coached to win a game 6-3 instead of taking what was there.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah. Pats took the novel approach of playing a 5-6 man front to take away the run. McVay determined that spreading that front out and attacking it with the short passing game was not an option? It was weird. Anderson instead of Gurley for no reason, unless McVay is going "cool shades" and hiding an injury?

Bottom line is that McVay coached like he lost confidence in his "remote control" QB to make decisive throws into small windows over the middle of the field. So they were left with screens and plays outside the numbers along the sidelines. This did the Rams in. Goff was slow with this reads, late to deliver the ball when he did have guys open, and the right side of his offensive line (particularly the RG) spent most of the game in his lap.

What I think is fascinating about all of this, is that I heard a stat that the Rams passes were to "wide open windows" most of the time - meaning the nearest defender was 5+ yards away. In particular that percentage went to like 70+ or something in the redzone. Yesterday looked like the Pats made Goff pick a "tight window" to fit throws into (they were there -- even in the TV angles) and Goff choked on it. Maybe those windows closed because the Rams typically run play-action or jet sweep motion on most of their stuff and last night they decided not to do that....don't know...

Bottom line Goff stunk and McVay had nothing to pivot to. Wade Phillips did well though! Defense only looked bad once they had been on the field for this side of forever.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Man, you bench Gurley for some dude sitting on his couch eating hamburgers and hot dogs until late in the season? Hey outsmarted himself in such a Todd Haley fashion

In any case, Goff was terrible. I don't know if you can coach your way out of a QB who can't complete a pass

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Man, you bench Gurley for some dude sitting on his couch eating hamburgers and hot dogs until late in the season? Hey outsmarted himself in such a Todd Haley fashion

In any case, Goff was terrible. I don't know if you can coach your way out of a QB who can't complete a pass
    I would guess Gurley’s knee was injured more seriously than the Rams would admit since December.

Yes, Sean McVay is an offensive genius

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I would guess Gurley’s knee was injured more seriously than the Rams would admit since December.
    Gurley certainly looked fine when he was in the game last night. McVay out kicked his coverage so to speak last night. He Sean Paytoned himself trying to over think
    Some simple things and He also stayed with his tendencies, didn’t go out of the box and coached scared on offense. So he basically tried to experiment with the same old recipes...