Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WRs and TEs thread

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

WRs and TEs thread

Whether the Steelers keep or trade AB or clean out the TE room, the possibility of drafting a WR or TE in this upcoming draft is very real. Thought I would start a thread to post stats, measurables, opinions, and general discussion on players and options.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: WRs and TEs thread

Well, it's not hard to guess what I would do. If the Steelers keep or trade AB I would still draft a TE, T.J. Hockenson would be my first choice, Fant would be the second. I think the history of WR's on this team in the last 5 years or more has shown that despite all the talent at this position they still come up short. I mean it's not like AB and JuJu aren't getting enough balls thrown their way.

I agree we need to run the ball more and by drafting an all-around TE you help your run game with a two TE set, open up short 5-10 yard pass plays and with Hockenson & Fant you have deep threat options. I think Hockenson is the better blocker of the two, Fant may be a bit more polished on the deep stuff but Hockenson is amazing at catching the ball in heavy traffic, he is also good deep. Both of them are better than McDonald. I think a WR could be picked up in FA, or later in the draft.

Noah Fant

Receiving Rushing Scrimmage
    Year School Conf Class Pos G Rec Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
    *2016 Iowa Big Ten FR TE 6 9 70 7.8 1 0 0 0 9 70 7.8 1
    *2017 Iowa Big Ten SO TE 12 30 494 16.5 11 2 -1 -0.5 0 32 493 15.4 11
    *2018 Iowa Big Ten JR TE 12 39 518 13.3 7 2 1 0.5 0 41 519 12.7 7
    Career Iowa 78 1082 13.9 19 4 0 0.0 0 82 1082 13.2 19

T.J Hockenson

*2017 Iowa Big Ten FR TE 10 24 320 13.3 3 0 0 0 24 320 13.3 3
    *2018 Iowa Big Ten SO TE 13 49 760 15.5 6 1 4 4.0 1 50 764 15.3 7
    Career Iowa 73 1080 14.8 9 1 4 4.0 1 74 1084 14.6 10

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like the idea of taking an elite TE with the Brown pick, if a trade happens. We’ve had good success with mid round receivers so I’d pick a diamond in the rough there. Maybe someone like Tyre Brady from Marshall.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I strongly suspect that the Patriots will be taking Hockenson when their pick is up in the first round if he is still available. Looks like the best Gronk replacement to show up in the draft in several years.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers drafted a couple of receivers depending on how free agency plays out and if we trade AB.

As of right now, DHB and Justin Hunter are unrestricted free agents. Eli Rodgers is a restricted free agent.

JuJu and Ryan Switzer won't be UFA's until 2021 and James Washington won't be a UFA until 2022.

I would also assume that the Steelers would draft a tight end too. Both Xavier Grimble and Jesse James are unrestricted free agents.

Vance won't be a UFA until 2022.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Well, it's not hard to guess what I would do. If the Steelers keep or trade AB I would still draft a TE, T.J. Hockenson would be my first choice, Fant would be the second. I think the history of WR's on this team in the last 5 years or more has shown that despite all the talent at this position they still come up short. I mean it's not like AB and JuJu aren't getting enough balls thrown their way.

I agree we need to run the ball more and by drafting an all-around TE you help your run game with a two TE set, open up short 5-10 yard pass plays and with Hockenson & Fant you have deep threat options. I think Hockenson is the better blocker of the two, Fant may be a bit more polished on the deep stuff but Hockenson is amazing at catching the ball in heavy traffic, he is also good deep. Both of them are better than McDonald. I think a WR could be picked up in FA, or later in the draft.

Noah Fant

*2016 Iowa Big Ten FR TE 6 9 70 7.8 1 0 0 0 9 70 7.8 1
    *2017 Iowa Big Ten SO TE 12 30 494 16.5 11 2 -1 -0.5 0 32 493 15.4 11
    *2018 Iowa Big Ten JR TE 12 39 518 13.3 7 2 1 0.5 0 41 519 12.7 7
    Career Iowa 78 1082 13.9 19 4 0 0.0 0 82 1082 13.2 19

T.J Hockenson

*2017 Iowa Big Ten FR TE 10 24 320 13.3 3 0 0 0 24 320 13.3 3
    *2018 Iowa Big Ten SO TE 13 49 760 15.5 6 1 4 4.0 1 50 764 15.3 7
    Career Iowa 73 1080 14.8 9 1 4 4.0 1 74 1084 14.6 10
    Lol! You said TJ in another thread and my brain went to Watt not Hockenson. Totally different conversation. Lol!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I strongly suspect that the Patriots will be taking Hockenson when their pick is up in the first round if he is still available. Looks like the best Gronk replacement to show up in the draft in several years.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If they do not stupidly trade Brown, there is no need to draft a WR or a TE. Maybe in the late rounds to replace James or Grumble, but that's it. Is there anything else to seriously discuss in this thread?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If they do not stupidly trade Brown, there is no need to draft a WR or a TE. Maybe in the late rounds to replace James or Grumble, but that's it. Is there anything else to seriously discuss in this thread?
    If the Steelers trade AB and lose people to free agency, they're going to have to draft receivers and tight ends.

Make a roster list of the Steelers WRs and TEs. Know who is coming back or not? Deep, very deep talent pool in this year’s draft at both positions. Any you would like to discuss? Why so serious?

So how is the offense going to improve? With JuJu and AB it still isn't happening.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    If the Steelers trade AB and lose people to free agency, they're going to have to draft receivers and tight ends.
    I'm not sure I understand this. The WRs will be AB, Juju, Washington, and Rogers, who we can be guaranteed of keeping because he is an RFA. All but AB are very young. McDonald is fine at TE.

The rest of the players at both position, it makes little difference if we re-sign or let go. DHB or Justin Hunter's production is that of a minimum-salary street free agent. James is the only one I would consider bringing back, but if not, no biggie. A late-round pick would likely be as good or even better. If backup TE is our biggest concern at those positions - it's not a concern. Just avoid trading AB and everything is in pretty awesome shape.

So how is the offense going to improve? With JuJu and AB it still isn't happening.
    Correct me if I missed something, but I thought the offense was pretty damn good. If anything, it suffered from stupid mental mistakes, definitely not a lack of talent. I don't think either of these positions are ones that need to be improved, and if they were, how much does improving the #3 WR or #2 TE position actually make a difference?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yeah. My thoughts as well. I think if the Steelers want him, they might have to take him at #20. See how the draft boards look like in a few months.

I'm not sure I understand this. The WRs will be AB, Juju, Washington, and Rogers, who we can be guaranteed of keeping because he is an RFA. All but AB are very young. McDonald is fine at TE.

The rest of the players at both position, it makes little difference if we re-sign or let go. DHB or Justin Hunter's production is that of a minimum-salary street free agent. James is the only one I would consider bringing back, but if not, no biggie. A late-round pick would likely be as good or even better. If backup TE is our biggest concern at those positions - it's not a concern. Just avoid trading AB and everything is in pretty awesome shape.

Correct me if I missed something, but I thought the offense was pretty damn good. If anything, it suffered from stupid mental mistakes, definitely not a lack of talent. I don't think either of these positions are ones that need to be improved, and if they were, how much does improving the #3 WR or #2 TE position actually make a difference?

It will surely improve the run game and open up the shorter field as Miller did. There is no element of surprise on this offense. It's Ben to AB, Ben to JuJu, Ben to Switzer season over.

You would think this is the year they finally draft a TE.

Jesse James should be allowed to leave. He brings nothing to the table that a much cheaper rookie can not replicate. He has pretty good hands, runs okay routes, has below average run after the catch skills, and still can't block very well.

Let's also hope they end the Xavier Grimble experiment. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Well that isn't really fair - Grimble trys hard and throws his body around, he just isn't very good.

So MojoUW's call would be McDonald, DRAFT PICK, Bucky Hodges (more upside to mess around with than Grimble), and whatever of the walking wounded and PS kinda guys they mess around with every year they want to bring to camp.

TE is among the several position groups where I am kinda over having guys on the roster you know can't start in the NFL. It is high time to churn that group and hope you find someone who can push to get starter playing time.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

It will surely improve the run game and open up the shorter field as Miller did. There is no element of surprise on this offense. It's Ben to AB, Ben to JuJu, Ben to Switzer season over.

I love Hockenson.

I don't think everyone understands how a great TE can influence the game...particularly a complete TE that can really block.

If they were to draft Hockenson, they would be able to run 2 TE sets and be able to dictate terms to the defense. If the defense goes with big personnel, they match up a LB to cover the TE or TEs. A very good TE should win that matchup most of the time. If the defense goes small, the should be able to gouge them with the running game, and it really sets up play action. On top of that, a quality TE is a mismatch against smaller defenders by using his body to block off the defender in the middle of the field, and have a huge height advantage when going down the field or in the red zone.

A great TE helps the running game, the passing game, and red zone offense.

I would have to imagine that AB is going to be traded. Why keep someone who doesn't want to be here? Also throw in the fact that Hunter is coming of shoulder surgery; they may not want to keep him so there are 2 holes right there that will need to be filled.

While I like Vance and think he's a good tight end, we need better quality depth behind him for when he gets hurt. If Jesse actually made those comments about the team at the end of the season, who's to say he wants to come back?

All I can say is this is an offense driven league. You must keep pace with the rest or continue to fall behind. This team does need an upgrade at TE. Picking one of these tall, fast, athletic freak WRs in this year’s draft is a good idea as well. There is a need for a 3rd RB to replace Ridley and hopefully compliment the other 2 also. Quality OL depth/upgrade is always on the table. You cannot go into the offseason with blinders on and not consider the big picture and all possibilities.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

All we need is a kicker. Maybe a punter. And this offense is good enough to get home field advantage throughout.

Juju won’t be worse next year. Neither will Conner. And Ben still has at least another year of being in the best shape of his life. AB will be more than elite next year. Hell our OC will have his rookie year out of the way so he can only improve. Our Oline will be fine even without Foster. He will get overpaid somewhere else. I really like Foster but I believe he benefits more from the people around him than they do from him.

And Ben made more mistakes at crucial times in 2018 than he ever will again.

If we keep AB we don’t need first round talent on offense to get more Ws. Our offense will be as good or better than in 2018 barring injuries.

If we improve at ALL on defense then I think we’re as good as any team in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    I would have to imagine that AB is going to be traded. Why keep someone who doesn't want to be here? Also throw in the fact that Hunter is coming of shoulder surgery; they may not want to keep him so there are 2 holes right there that will need to be filled.

While I like Vance and think he's a good tight end, we need better quality depth behind him for when he gets hurt. If Jesse actually made those comments about the team at the end of the season, who's to say he wants to come back?
    Why would you want a player who doesn't want to be here .... Let's see ... maybe because he is the best receiver in the league, and it costs you just as much money to NOT have him on the team as it does to have him, and because there is no urgency to trade him duento him being on a 3-year contract? That seems like a great reason to have him on the team.

He can bitch all he wants, it would still be a Redskins-level stupid move to trade him. It would take a LOT of bitching to make up for 15 touchdowns and $21 million in cap space. So I am assuming we are not as stupid as the Redskins and he will be on the team come September.

Justin Hunter is a nothing. He's done jack shit his entire career. Don't even need to worry about filling a roster spot, we already have 5 WRs on the roster counting Switzer and all are better than him.

So zero holes at WR ... I can see us making a move for a better #2 TE, sure. But I also don't think it's THAT important. Lots of other things that would do us.more good first, including every single position on defense (yes, DL too, we could use depth).

So that leaves us at what, like a 4th-round TE, hopefully you get someone who can block. That's fine if we do it, but I don't think you base your draft plan around it. Maybe if some insane value player falls to us in R3 or something we pull the trigger, but that goes for any position.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If they keep AB, no need to spend a day 1 or even a day 2 selection at WR or TE. If they don't, then WR or TE becomes a higher priority

Why would you want a player who doesn't want to be here .... Let's see ... maybe because he is the best receiver in the league, and it costs you just as much money to NOT have him on the team as it does to have him, and because there is no urgency to trade him duento him being on a 3-year contract? That seems like a great reason to have him on the team.

He can bitch all he wants, it would still be a Redskins-level stupid move to trade him. It would take a LOT of bitching to make up for 15 touchdowns and $21 million in cap space. So I am assuming we are not as stupid as the Redskins and he will be on the team come September.

Justin Hunter is a nothing. He's done jack shit his entire career. Don't even need to worry about filling a roster spot, we already have 5 WRs on the roster counting Switzer and all are better than him.

So zero holes at WR ... I can see us making a move for a better #2 TE, sure. But I also don't think it's THAT important. Lots of other things that would do us.more good first, including every single position on defense (yes, DL too, we could use depth).

So that leaves us at what, like a 4th-round TE, hopefully you get someone who can block. That's fine if we do it, but I don't think you base your draft plan around it. Maybe if some insane value player falls to us in R3 or something we pull the trigger, but that goes for any position.
    On the flip side of that, you keep a player around who could become even more of a distraction because he doesn't want to be here. Unless the two sides speak to each other and make up, he's probably gone. Also, the Steelers tend to keep 6 receivers on the roster so I wouldn't be surprised if they used it on a reciever at some point in the draft.

Let me also say this. I agree with you that we have more important needs and that most of the focus needs to be on defense. I never said that we should put all of the focus on tight end and reciever, but if we lose people to free agency and trades, they'll have to restock those positions at some point in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’m going to say it in every TE thread...

Hockenson is the best offensive weapon in this draft. You have to strongly consider taking him at 20 (regardless of any other factors: draft needs, AB).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’m going to say it in every TE thread...

Hockenson is the best offensive weapon in this draft. You have to strongly consider taking him at 20 (regardless of any other factors: draft needs, AB).
    How does a guy with 73 catches in his entire college career and two total games over 100 yards become such a sexy pick, even before the combine?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    How does a guy with 73 catches in his entire college career and two total games over 100 yards become such a sexy pick, even before the combine?
    His “entire college career” is 73 catches in 2 seasons and over 1000 yards. Almost identicle to the numbers Fant put up in 3 seasons.

I don’t think this is for arguing IF or WHEN the Steelers should consider drafting a WR or TE. It’s for discussing options at those positions. Since we don’t KNOW the future(AB, James, Grimble, Hunter, DHB, Rogers), these players could very well move to the front of conversation. Especially draft days 2&3.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    His “entire college career” is 73 catches in 2 seasons and over 1000 yards. Almost identicle to the numbers Fant put up in 3 seasons.

I don’t think this is for arguing IF or WHEN the Steelers should consider drafting a WR or TE. It’s for discussing options at those positions. Since we don’t KNOW the future(AB, James, Grimble, Hunter, DHB, Rogers), these players could very well move to the front of conversation. Especially draft days 2&3.
    So how does that answer my question? What makes him worth a #20 pick? I've never seen him play so it's a fair question. Ne never dominated in college and had 2 games over 100 yards. He might be the next Gronk, so somebody tell me why if he's being touted as a possible pick.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

personally, I would much rather draft a CB in Round 1 (we have a hole the size of the Grand Canyon opposite Joe Haden) or a speedy 3-down ILB that can go sideline to sideline and has coverage skills than a WR or TE in Round 1.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    personally, I would much rather draft a CB in Round 1 (we have a hole the size of the Grand Canyon opposite Joe Haden) or a speedy 3-down ILB that can go sideline to sideline and has coverage skills than a WR or TE in Round 1.
    I completely agree. I think our pick at #20 should be BPA of the top 3 ILBs. If they are all 3 gone then I think BPA out of the 2top safeties or 5top CBs. I’m still hoping we get a CB in FA to take some heat from that position. BUT, if these 9-10 guys are already off the board there is nothing wrong, IMO, in taking the BPA at another position, even WR or TE. There are lots of possibilities, some not even explored yet. I made this thread just to discuss possible WR and TE interest in this draft period. Whatever round you want to take one. Or not at all if that is your opinion. Merely a discussion on the subject of WRs and TEs available.

Shoes already started a list of top TEs. You can see Fant's and Hockenson's stats at Iowa in his post above. I will start posting more today, as well as WR prospects. This is a very deep crop at both positions so will take more than 1 post most likely.

Josh Oliver 6'5"-250 San Jose State.
    https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/...e-josh-oliver/
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/20...e-josh-oliver/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5_XikE4uBA
    https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Oliver-52053/Videos/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    1. I somehow missed this. My apologies. Responding... now!!!

2. Eff the Combine. I’ve never put much faith in any of it. #MikeMamula

3. Hockenson projects well. It’s more of an “eyeball” test for me... sort of like the book “Blink” by Malcolm Gladwell.

4. His blocking isn’t “stattable”.

5. His stats are very similar to Gronk’s (who is the TE that Hockerson is most like).