Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WRs and TEs thread

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: WRs and TEs thread

Report: Steelers Have Massachusetts WR Andy Isabella Scheduled For Pre-Draft Visit

By Dave Bryan
    Posted on March 22, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers pre-draft visits might just get underway as early as this Sunday, according to a Friday report on Twitter.

According to Connor Livesay of SB Nation on Friday, Massachusetts wide receiver Andy Isabella has an official pre-draft visit scheduled with the Steelers for Sunday.

Isabella, who reportedly had a strong pro day on Thursday, is considered to be one of the top slot wide receivers in this year’s draft class. At the combine, Isabella measured in at 5086, 188-pounds with 29 3/4-inch arms and 8 3/8-inch hands,. He ran his 40-yard-dash in 4.31-seconds while in Indianapolis and registered 15 reps on the bench to go along with a 36.5-inch vertical jump and a 10’1″ broad jump. His short shuttle time at the combine was 4.15-seconds and his 3-cone time was 6.95-seconds.

to read rest of article:

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/re...e-draft-visit/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I strongly suspect that the Patriots will be taking Hockenson when their pick is up in the first round if he is still available. Looks like the best Gronk replacement to show up in the draft in several years.
    NFL Rumors - March 24 Updates:

The Patriots "aggressively courted" Jared Cook in free agency. - Mike Reiss, ESPN

New England missed out on Cook, who signed with the Saints. Given that the Patriots pursued a high-end tight end and whiffed, it's reasonable to expect them to use an early selection on a player at the position to replace Rob Gronkowski.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#3JK2FWBt0vQrmcOw.99

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Let’s talk about Hakeem Butler. We already had a discussion going about him, but I don’t remember which thread. Anyway...

MEASURABLES:
    -freakish
    -6’5” 227 lbs
    -98th percentile (ever) for 40 time considering his hieght/weight

GAME TAPE:
    -dominated the competition

HOME RUN HITTER:
    -55% of his receptions were 20+ yards
    -highest YPR in draft class
    -5th highest yards per routes run

BUT...
    -lesser competition
    -drops
    -“one year wonder”

Lesser competition doesn’t bother me... see: Randy Moss, Khalil Mack, etc. Normally drops would scare me, but Butler’s target radius was so huge that he would get his hands on ball that NO other receiver would even get a finger on (let alone possibly catch). Ergo, Butler was penalized (statistically) for “dropping” balls that would have been “overthrows” for most other receivers. The “one year wonder” thing is a bit concerning.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Bad idea to draft a WR that drops footballs.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Bad idea to draft a WR that drops footballs.
    Yeah, but if he has "upside" like Sammie Coates.....there is optimism in the fan base.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    NFL Rumors - March 24 Updates:

The Patriots "aggressively courted" Jared Cook in free agency. - Mike Reiss, ESPN

New England missed out on Cook, who signed with the Saints. Given that the Patriots pursued a high-end tight end and whiffed, it's reasonable to expect them to use an early selection on a player at the position to replace Rob Gronkowski.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors#3JK2FWBt0vQrmcOw.99
    So, somehow, someway, one of Hockenson, Fant or Irv Smith will be a Patriot after this draft. Great.

Of course the Pats will cross everyone up and draft Butler and Boykin and just throw back-shoulder fades all day.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

There are good value TEs later in this draft too. Steelers had a meeting with Moreau of LSU. Same with WRs. I do think there is a very real possibility of a 1st or 2nd round WR. Half the guys they spoke to at the combine are WRs. For no other reason than gut feeling, I think they are really looking at AJ Brown.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I know it won't happen but I hope to god TJ Hockensen somehow makes a Decastro-like fall to us at 20. He's one of those guys our FO would just have to pull the trigger on, he's Heath Miller #2

The guy's overall game is already strong, I think he'd come in and be an immediate contributor

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    So, somehow, someway, one of Hockenson, Fant or Irv Smith will be a Patriot after this draft. Great.

Of course the Pats will cross everyone up and draft Butler and Boykin and just throw back-shoulder fades all day.
    Crap, I'm trying to pretend this won't happen. If I'm Colbert, I'm moving up to get Hockenson. They will be getting much more for their money with this guy, plus the TE position is set for 10 years or more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    There are good value TEs later in this draft too. Steelers had a meeting with Moreau of LSU. Same with WRs. I do think there is a very real possibility of a 1st or 2nd round WR. Half the guys they spoke to at the combine are WRs. For no other reason than gut feeling, I think they are really looking at AJ Brown.
    No thanks, the Steelers don't need another #2 or #3 TE

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Lance Zeirline has AJ Brown pro comparison as JuJu. Do you think they would have a couple 6'0" physical receivers with 4.5 speed on the field at the same time?

Also, what do you think if the Steelers had somebody like Fant or Irv Smith at #20 and possibly look again in the 5th with somebody like Moreau or Zach Gentry? Double down on TE's , since all they really have is McDonald, Grimble and the Winter Soldier on the roster right now.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I think Fant is a possibility at #20.

1. Fant, TE, Iowa
    2. Winovich, OLB, UM
    3. Boykin, WR, ND
    3. Long, ILB, WVU
    4. cornerback/safety

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Lance Zeirline has AJ Brown pro comparison as JuJu. Do you think they would have a couple 6'0" physical receivers with 4.5 speed on the field at the same time?

Also, what do you think if the Steelers had somebody like Fant or Irv Smith at #20 and possibly look again in the 5th with somebody like Moreau or Zach Gentry? Double down on TE's , since all they really have is McDonald, Grimble and the Winter Soldier on the roster right now.
    So many good things here. But, how the hell has the "Winter Soldier" not caught on before? I really really want this kid to make the roster now as the #2 TE. I can not believe I never noticed that before!

What the Steelers draft in terms of "traits" at WR will be interesting. If they took AJ Brown, they could put three contested catch physical WR's on the field at the same time (Juju, Washington, and Brown). That would be far different than the previous model of having a precision route runner at the X, an elite deep threat, and then a shifty slot guy. But it could work, they could just beat up on opposing DBs.

If you want to do that, just go get Butler and really hulk out at the WR position.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

FWIW: Iowa's pro day is today, Iowa State is tomorrow, Ole Miss is on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

1. Fant, TE, Iowa
    2. Winovich, OLB, UM
    3. Boykin, WR, ND
    3. Long, ILB, WVU
    4. cornerback/safety
    I'd buy that.

Hockenson not in it for the money

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/A...End-130520551/

1. Fant, TE, Iowa
    2. Winovich, OLB, UM
    3. Boykin, WR, ND
    3. Long, ILB, WVU
    4. cornerback/safety
    that's an excellent mock!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

that's an excellent mock!
    Not bad but not mentioning the extra picks. Wouldn't mind using Raiders 3rd on a top RB to go with Conner and Samuels.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Not bad but not mentioning the extra picks. Wouldn't mind using Raiders 3rd on a top RB to go with Conner and Samuels.
    B&G drafted Miles Boykin with the Raiders 3rd round pick...

No Steelers at Iowa pro day?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    No Steelers at Iowa pro day?
    smoke screen

No report of the Steelers at Iowa or Iowa State's pro day.

Colbert was at Texas A&M pro day today.TE, Jace Sternberger is a potential mid round target. Not much of a blocker but he's a good pass catcher.

No report of the Steelers at Iowa or Iowa State's pro day.

Colbert was at Texas A&M pro day today.TE, Jace Sternberger is a potential mid round target. Not much of a blocker but he's a good pass catcher.
    They might as well just draft another WR then. If they think Hockenson & Fant are going to slide as Kettle did they as smoking some of Bells leftover weed.

Fant has had interviews with 22 NFL teams.

https://www.sidneyherald.com/nationa...8f8da7277.html

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

AJ Brown and Kelvin Harmon are both in the first round conversation from that JuJu mold of WRs. Metcalf and Butler are the mismatch vs nearly any DB in the first round conversation. I'm not saying it's not a real need but I don't think TE will be the pick at 20. Fant/Smith may both be there at 52 as well. Take a look at Dawson Knox, TE from Ole Miss too. Reading some compare him to George Kittle, established as a blocker and made strides in the pass game. Ole Miss just never used him as a receiving threat. I like Moreau a lot but think he will be gone before we would pull the trigger on him. Just so many possibilities with these offensive guys. With 10 picks it opens doors I'm not used to when it comes to the draft.

Fant/Smith may both be there at 52 as well.

You got that right, NE Bill is sniffing all over those three(Hockenson, Fant & Smith)and there are hints that the Pats may move up to #10, plus there 3-4 teams that could draft a TE before #20. Smith might be there @ 20 but the Steelers won't pick him anyway.

Iowa tight end Noah Fant getting lots of Top 10 interest

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 28, 2019

At a time when a future Hall of Fame tight end has walked away, there’s one in this year’s draft who will walk in with high expectations.

Via Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, Iowa tight end Noah Fant is going to be a busy man for the next month.

He has 10 pre-draft visits set, and seven of the visits or workouts are with teams picking in the Top 10 in the NFL Draft.

Fant caught 39 passes for 519 and seven touchdowns this season, and his athleticism is going to make him a potentially immediate offensive threat.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...p-10-interest/

I hope teams over-draft Fant. He simply isn't a TE. He can't/won't be a good blocker at the NFL level. He is going to be a massive WR that runs a limited route tree. So somewhere between Devin Funchess and Evan Engram. A valuable player in the NFL, but not something I would be jumping up and down about having to spend a first round pick on.

Honestly, if the Steelers wanted Fant's skill set, I would simply cross my fingers, squint really hard, and run the Winter Soldier out there and hope for the best.

Now Hockenson, he looks like a cross between Zach Ertz and George Kittle -- so, you know an actual TE. A darn good one at that...

Still, then I go watch Hakeem Butler highlights and start thinking about him as the lone WR on one side and Juju, Washington, and McDonald running out of a bunch on the other side and I just laugh and laugh at the thought of teams finding enough DBs to body up on those guys...

Gerry Dulac in his chat yesterday said about ILB or WR in round 1, and then noted again, "don't forget about WR"

For tight end, he said "Third round, no later than fourth."

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Gerry Dulac in his chat yesterday said about ILB or WR in round 1, and then noted again, "don't forget about WR"

For tight end, he said "Third round, no later than fourth."
    Steelers probably figure both TE's will be gone before their pick. Also not keen on changing the offense to two TE sets.

TE will get drafted. If McDonald should go down for any stretch of games it’s Grimble-time. Show of hands, who’s looking forward to that?

Point being Steelers are more likely to draft a WR first round then a TE. They are stubborn and don't want to change their scheme!