Thread: The fairest answer to OT.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

The fairest answer to OT.

End it. Simply continue on with play at the end of regulation as if it were the end of the 1st or 3rd quarter. If the 4th quarter ends with a tied score put 15 minutes on the clock whoever has the ball continues with their possession at the start of additional time, next score be it a fg or TD wins the game.

What could be fairer? You know going into it what the deal is. So instead of some of these end game fg's to send it to OT you play for the decisive TD instead.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The fairest answer to OT.

It would make teams play it safe instead of going for the 55-yard FG with 3 seconds left. That aspect of your idea would need tweaked IMO, but I like the concept.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It would make teams play it safe instead of going for the 55-yard FG with 3 seconds left. That aspect of your idea would need tweaked IMO, but I like the concept.
    Yeah that part is true. But think of it this way. If that team is kicking the 55 yarder to go into OT now they'll try to take it into the end zone for the winning TD. If they drive further and fall short of the end zone, but still get the fg so what? They kick off, no coin flip or luck invlolved, and their opponent has the chance to end it in sudden death first.

What could be fairer?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess this biggest complaint about most OT formats is that they are not fair, right? One or more components of the structure of the OT period(s) can/does create unbalanced outcomes that favor one team.

So is the goal to make sure that it is all "fair" and "equal"?

If so, the college format might be the best solution that I am aware of.

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with the current NFL OT rules. It isn't fair, but much of sports aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I guess this biggest complaint about most OT formats is that they are not fair, right? One or more components of the structure of the OT period(s) can/does create unbalanced outcomes that favor one team.

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with the current NFL OT rules. It isn't fair, but much of sports aren't.
    I hate college OT!!! Lose 5 yards and if you're still in fg range! No thanks!

Playing additional time to sudden death has no built in advantage for either team. If you've worked yourself into a favorable position at the end of the 4th quarter why shouldn't you be rewarded if you can see it through? I mean imagine if they did a reset after the end of the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter. That kind of makes your head doesn't it?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Fix the reffing and OT will not be such of big as concern.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I hate college OT!!! Lose 5 yards and if you're still in fg range! No thanks!

Playing additional time to sudden death has no built in advantage for either team. If you've worked yourself into a favorable position at the end of the 4th quarter why shouldn't you be rewarded if you can see it through? I mean imagine if they did a reset after the end of the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter. That kind of makes your head doesn't it?
    The still in field goal range part is likely why the NFL set theirs up they way they did. I don't have a problem with everything resetting at the end of regulation. You couldn't get it done in 60 minutes, so no you have to get it done another way.

People complained when any kind of score won OT. Then they switched it up to try and address that. Now people want to ensure both teams get to have the ball on offense. If they fix that it will be something else.

Maybe just do it like the NBA, an extra quarter? Flip the coin, do the kickoff, and play 15 more minutes of football. Whatever happens happens and the team with the most points at the end of 15 minutes wins. In the regular season allow ties after the "5th quarter" in the playoffs, keep playing additional 15 minute quarters until there isn't a tie.

We might actually see players collapse on the field, but then everyone gets a chance to have the ball and whatnot.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Basically follow what playoff hockey does. Hockey has the best overtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yes!! Instead of a shoot out, each team gets 3 chances for 2 point conversion. Play it out like a shoot out. Boom!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I agree with play another quarter. I think you start it like a new game, coin flip and all. Play 15mins and whoever wins, wins. Same as hockey or basketball or baseball.
    OR
    No OT at all. At the end of 60 is game over. A tie is a tie.

This rule they have now is terrible.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Yes!! Instead of a shoot out, each team gets 3 chances for 2 point conversion. Play it out like a shoot out. Boom!
    Brilliant!!

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

A: I like the Play an extra QTR but most will not like the entire 15 minutes because Football is "Such a violent sport" argument. So make it ten minutes. Coin toss, kickoff and play until the clock runs out. In season, Tie. Post season, do it again.

B: Both team get one kickoff, drive, opportunity to score. Keeping going until someone scores more than the other during their chances. Kind of a modified College approach but with Kickoffs.

or C: IMO, the best OT is the College approach. When the NFL was revamping their OT to make it what it is now the argument was that college OT eliminates the Special teams. WELL, now the NFL Rules have already eliminated all special teams. So there is no argument anymore. Line both teams at the 35 instead of 25 and let them go back and forth until you have a winner. Except that in NFL OT, NO EXTRA POINTS at all. Every TD requires a 2 pt try. This way you are less likely to have a LSU v. Texas A&M 70/70 point shoot out.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Just play a fucking extra period like in every other sport. Overtime happens like once a season per team, if that, so no, this is not going to impose any hardship on the players. Maybe they will have to play 5 or 7 extra minutes than they would have, oh no.

Then if it's tied at the end of one overtime, you can either play another overtime, or decide the game by having the kickers try to beat each other to death with their helmets, whoever gets knocked unconscious first gets the L. I don't really care which way they use.

Also, if the regulation ends with the game tied, and one team is the Patriots, then the Patriots automatically lose. And the Patriots also lose automatically if they're only ahead by 3 points, or 4 points, or 20 points, or any score really.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Screw OT, play to win. At the end of 60 you win lose or tie. Fair enough you had 60 minutes to win

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="JnK has much to be proud of">

Let's make it exciting and much more enjoyable. If tied at the end of regulation both head coaches square off in a no-glove boxing match at the 50 yard line. You get knocked out your team loses.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I'd go for the college rule except start at the 40 not the 25. And go for 2 with the first TD. If you stuck with the 25 I'd say no FGs.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Screw OT, play to win. At the end of 60 you win lose or tie. Fair enough you had 60 minutes to win

Fine for regular season. But you can't do that for postseason otherwise we'd have 4 teams playing in the Super Bowl!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I agree with play another quarter. I think you start it like a new game, coin flip and all. Play 15mins and whoever wins, wins. Same as hockey or basketball or baseball.
    OR
    No OT at all. At the end of 60 is game over. A tie is a tie.

This rule they have now is terrible.
    Hockey OT ends as soon as someone scores. Be it 10 seconds or 4 extra periods.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Playoff or regular season?

I'll assume playoffs. In the playoffs hockey has a full intermission, same as between the 2nd and 3rd period. Then it goes to sudden death. First score wins.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The fairest answer to OT.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Fine for regular season. But you can't do that for postseason otherwise we'd have 4 teams playing in the Super Bowl!

- - - Updated - - -

Hockey OT ends as soon as someone scores. Be it 10 seconds or 4 extra periods.

- - - Updated - - -

Playoff or regular season?

I'll assume playoffs. In the playoffs hockey has a full intermission, same as between the 2nd and 3rd period. Then it goes to sudden death. First score wins.
    You would do what you suggested as in 15 minutes of overtime and then take a halftime break and go to a sudden death OT quarter. If that has to be decided by a coin toss, then so be it...each team had 15 minutes and whatever of time to score...I didn’t phrase that comment properly.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Heck with it take a 10 minute half time at the end of regulation and then play till a quarter ends with a winner. 15 still tie , 15 more. Play till someone can't go no more.

Merry Christmas

Most if these OT senarios depend on the NFL allowing teams to play defense not going to happen. Ball first or momentum game over

Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I hated the OT rule changes to begin with, it should be first score wins. Think that's unfair? Well, both teams did have 60 other minutes to score more points and didn't.

Each team gets one full possession and then Sudden Death? Decided by something other than a coin toss?