Thread: Breaking Down the Steelers Team Needs: Part 7, Tight End 9

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Breaking Down the Steelers Team Needs: Part 7, Tight End 9

Part 7 of the series on targets the Steelers might target in the 2019 NFL Draft. What about a pass catcher who does not play Wide Receiver?
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...raft-2019-news

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Breaking Down the Steelers Team Needs: Part 7, Tight End 9

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

I'd surely take him, but I'd rather have his teammate. Better blocker and a lot like Kettle. I hope we don't miss this one too.

T.J. Hockenson, Iowa.
    6’5”. 243 lbs. A complete TE that some consider better than his teammate Noah Fant.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Breaking down the teams needs part 7? Let me know when it gets to part 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'd surely take him, but I'd rather have his teammate. Better blocker and a lot like Kettle. I hope we don't miss this one too.

T.J. Hockenson, Iowa.
    6’5”. 243 lbs. A complete TE that some consider better than his teammate Noah Fant.

Both those kids are excellent. It was fun watching both of them this year.

They keep churning out the TE's in Iowa!

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

T.J. Hockenson, Iowa.
    I'm on that list. Fant has more flash and gets more press, but I'd go with Hockenson. As Shoes said, he's a more complete TE. Also more mature and grounded.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I'm on that list. Fant has more flash and gets more press, but I'd go with Hockenson. As Shoes said, he's a more complete TE. Also more mature and grounded.
    Hockenson is really good in traffic. I think McDonald and Hockenson on the field at the same time would be big problems for a defense, which is why I would draft a good TE before a WR. They could always take a later round WR or even a FA if AB stays or goes. You don't have to throw bombs to win football games.

Daniel Jeremiah on Hockenson

Hockenson is a fun player to watch. In the passing game, he fights through press coverage and will stair-step defenders (fights through pass coverage and understands how to attack the leverage of defenders) down the field, helping to create some separation on crossers and deep-over routes. He tracks the ball naturally and his high-point skills are on display in the red zone. He is very physical after the catch and possesses adequate speed. Hockenson is at his best in the run game. He ragdolls defensive ends and linebackers. He had multiple pancake blocks in every game I studied. Overall, Hockenson is one of the best blocking tight ends I've ever evaluated and he is dependable in the passing game. He's a Day 1 impact player at the next level.

Jeremiah has him ranked 14th out of his top 50 players. There goes another good TE down the drain

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...9-nfl-draft-10

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Hockenson is at his best in the run game. He ragdolls defensive ends and linebackers.

This was the part that really impressed me, and it never makes the highlight reel. Watching him spring runs in the second level is a treat. He's also got the footwork and hands of an o- lineman, but (of course) not the size. He's also got a great attitude, work ethic, and feel for the game.

"You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland