Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 Titles

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: 6 Titles

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You forgot the other thing they do better than almost anyone else -- force the pace of play. I think they ran like 90-95 offensive plays. Even with the extra drive in overtime factored in that is just insane.
    Yep. They take as little or as much as you give them and just grind it out with a few runs, a few passes to one of their 4 backs out of the backfield, short out routes to move the chains and the occasional sit down in the zone completion...move the chains, put together an 8-minute drive...nice calm drive and boom. TD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Not taking anything away from The Pats but that KC D was awful. Their D makes me feel good about The Steelers D. People saying their D was gassed at the end, well they looked gassed since they first step on the field.

Senior Member Array title="T&B fan has much to be proud of"> T&B fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Weird, I don't remember the Patriots winning anything. Must not have been very important.
    we know how they got them and winning was not part of it ... see my singature ...
    we must never forget tell everyone you know New England cheated and might be back at it Edit 1-21-15 there back Edit #2__12-8-19 here we go again Edit #3__ 5-25-23 it never ends

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    You won't be watching very many Super Bowls then...
    Nope would rather not. My hate for the cheats is greater than my love for the game

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

As much as i loath the cheats, I tip my hat to that orginazation they're in the hunt every year with no name players, The Rooneys and Tomlin can learn a few things from them.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You guys realize that the Patriots roster, as it is almost every year, is littered with top 60 draft picks?

Michel, Gronk, McCourty, Chung, Hightower, Flowers, Clayborn, Brown, Gilmore, Dawson, Patterson, Gordon, Allen, Hill, and a few others are all either Pats original first or second round picks or were signed/traded for during their rookie deals. That is roughly a third of their roster.

Counting everyone listed on their rosters (suspended, IR, practice squad, whatever) the Patriots have 15 players originally selected in the first or second round. The Steelers have 21.
    The Patriots have 20 UDFA rostered. The Steelers have 23.
    Patriots have 16 guys taken from rounds 5-7. Steelers have 11.

The New England Patriots employ a great deal of high quality well regarded football players. They aren't exactly doing this with smoke and mirrors and some guys off the scrap heap.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    They are going to have to do better than the mugging they gave NO , I'm sure the league and refs will be getting an earful from ESPN and the Patriot frotn office

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Haha screw NO and that makes up for the phantom pass interference call they got on us. What comes around goes around.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

You guys realize that the Patriots roster, as it is almost every year, is littered with top 60 draft picks?

Michel, Gronk, McCourty, Chung, Hightower, Flowers, Clayborn, Brown, Gilmore, Dawson, Patterson, Gordon, Allen, Hill, and a few others are all either Pats original first or second round picks or were signed/traded for during their rookie deals. That is roughly a third of their roster.

Counting everyone listed on their rosters (suspended, IR, practice squad, whatever) the Patriots have 15 players originally selected in the first or second round. The Steelers have 21.

The New England Patriots employ a great deal of high quality well regarded football players. They aren't exactly doing this with smoke and mirrors and some guys off the scrap heap.

I think the one thing that maybe the Steelers should consider is stockpiling draft picks. I've been saying it for years. There are some years when many of the players are of similar value over multiple rounds. I believe that they should trade back sometimes to get additional draft picks. There is so much value in the middle of the draft. Rounds 2-4 are loaded with talented players. If you can move back a couple spots and still get a player of similar quality while also adding valuable draft picks, it makes a ton of sense unless there is a player available that they really have rated much higher that is still on the board.

The Patriots continually accumulate picks by moving back, and I like that strategy sometimes.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think the one thing that maybe the Steelers should consider is stockpiling draft picks. I've been saying it for years. There are some years when many of the players are of similar value over multiple rounds. I believe that they should trade back sometimes to get additional draft picks. There is so much value in the middle of the draft. Rounds 2-4 are loaded with talented players. If you can move back a couple spots and still get a player of similar quality while also adding valuable draft picks, it makes a ton of sense unless there is a player available that they really have rated much higher that is still on the board.

The Patriots continually accumulate picks by moving back, and I like that strategy sometimes.
    I can totally agree with that. Colbert's steadfast refusal to only ever trade up is a bit maddening. Only recent year I didn't want them to trade out were Dupree and Watt.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    It's not the Patriots fault that they are so simply good, while everyone else is so hilariously incompetent. The Pats did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, and were quite average this season. But they just play football. Hate them because you're tired of them, but besides that, credit where it is due. They're the best of a (very) bad lot in the AFC. Not because they're otherworldly or more talented, but because they're sound and everyone else is high functioning autistic.

If anything, I hate Mike Tomlin and the Steelers more than the Patriots at this point because the Steelers are talented and arrogant when they have done nothing worthwhile this decade to warrant that arrogance. From Tomlin, to Ben, to Antonio Brown, to the rest of the coaching staff.
    Great post. And it's not that the rest of the AFC is bad but the teams that have the talent to beat the Pats just aren't disciplined and coached well enough. The Pats almost NEVER make a mistake when the game is on the line and every other team does. You won't catch a Patriot lining up in the neutral zone when the game is on the line. How many times has Brady thrown a late pick to end a game? I know he did against Haden this year but that wasn't a must win game for them like it was for us. I'm talking about the playoffs. He almost never does. The only reason they lost last year's Superbowl was a great strip/sack by the Eagles. They just DO NOT make mistakes.

If you replaced Tomlin with Belichick back in 2008 we would probably have 10+ titles right now.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Patriots are a GOOD football team. Nothing more. They cheated their way to this dynasty. It’s all clever. Not really against the rules yet not legally within the rules. You see it in baseball too. Catchers move and slide to trick an ump that a ball is a strike. They all do it and get away with it because it’s never been truly made illegal. But a ball is a ball and a strike is a strike, and what they do is cheating. The Patriots have not only had the advantage of a very weak division for the last 20 years, but have also used these ‘non-cheats’ to cheat. I’m sure you all can work google and find lists compiled of their cheating. That is why the Pats do not get the same love that the 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, or Steelers do nationally when talking football dynasties.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes, we all know of their *’s, but they still have to play the game, and as stated above, they don’t make mistakes, have good game plans, and scheme to the players they have.

As for NO, I think they had a much better chance to beat NE than the Rams is all. Bree’s is a great Vet that won it all before, Goff will be in over his head (at least at the start). QB advantage goes to the Pats easily where it would have been even between Brees and Brady IMHO. Same for coaching. In order for the Rams to win, they are going to have to come out and punch the Pats in the mouth in the 1st qrtr, let their offense get into the game without falling behind by more than a TD

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Yes, we all know of their *’s, but they still have to play the game, and as stated above, they don’t make mistakes, have good game plans, and scheme to the players they have.

As for NO, I think they had a much better chance to beat NE than the Rams is all. Bree’s is a great Vet that won it all before, Goff will be in over his head (at least at the start). QB advantage goes to the Pats easily where it would have been even between Brees and Brady IMHO. Same for coaching. In order for the Rams to win, they are going to have to come out and punch the Pats in the mouth in the 1st qrtr, let their offense get into the game without falling behind by more than a TD
    Not disagreeing with you. But, didn’t the Eagles beat the Pats just last year with their backup QB? I refuse to pick a winner but I do not believe in the unbeatable Brady.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

A lot of those are scrap heap players that the teams that drafted them didn't want for one reason or another and yet somehow Superior coaching got them to perform better and perform as a team

Merry Christmas

A lot of those are scrap heap players that the teams that drafted them didn't want for one reason or another and yet somehow Superior coaching got them to perform better and perform as a team

I don't know. Maybe on the middle round guys they sign as FA's, but the higher round guys all are playing at or worse than they did in previous stops:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...C/ClayAd00.htm
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...P/PattCo00.htm
    https://www.pro-football-reference.c...D/DorsPh00.htm

The majority of the rest of their listed high draft packs are their own. Excluding Gilmore who came over as a FA because the Bills are a crap-show and Hill because the Bengals fell in love with Mixon.

I would argue that the Patriots are ruthless about targeting players who fit their system and about player roles. Want more touches as the 3rd WR - tough. Go play somewhere else. But I just am done with the whole "who are these guys" thing. Many of the critical contributors up and down the roster were heralded college players and highly touted draft prospects. Just like any other NFL team.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The key to the Pats success has been Bellichick and Brady. Bellichick with his scheming and relentless preparation of his players to have them in proper position to do it correctly and Brady with his relentless and I mean RELENTLESS competitive edge. You are talking about a guy who won't stop until he chases down some other-worldly stratosphere of all-time greatness, a guy who wants to be known as the greatest player of all-time. 5 Super Bowls and he is still relentlessly pushing for another ring, and probably won't stop until at the very least he's no. 1 in passing yards and touchdowns (another productive year, he will at least surpass Peyton and only have Brees to contend with). That combination allows you to achieve unheard of levels of success, especially in the free agent era when roster turnover is commonplace

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    The key to the Pats success has been Bellichick and Brady. Bellichick with his scheming and relentless preparation of his players to have them in proper position to do it correctly and Brady with his relentless and I mean RELENTLESS competitive edge. You are talking about a guy who won't stop until he chases down some other-worldly stratosphere of all-time greatness, a guy who wants to be known as the greatest player of all-time. 5 Super Bowls and he is still relentlessly pushing for another ring, and probably won't stop until at the very least he's no. 1 in passing yards and touchdowns (another productive year, he will at least surpass Peyton and only have Brees to contend with). That combination allows you to achieve unheard of levels of success, especially in the free agent era when roster turnover is commonplace
    C’mon, you’re a Steelers fan. Surely you know they cheated their way to this dynasty.

All of their success comes from cheating and bending the rules.

Coaching, maximizing talent, and demanding that the players accept the existing team culture have nothing to do with it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Kyle Van Noy is a good example of this. He was “meh” as a Lion, but has been very good as a Taperiot.

Of course, they wouldn’t have needed Van Noy if they had simply kept Jamie Collins.

I get it. They “do not pay” any player except for Tom Brady & Gronk, and it has worked... but, imagine if they had indeed kept Collins and Chandler Jones.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Kyle Van Noy is a good example of this. He was “meh” as a Lion, but has been very good as a Taperiot.

Of course, they wouldn’t have needed Van Noy if they had simply kept Jamie Collins.

I get it. They “do not pay” any player except for Tom Brady & Gronk, and it has worked... but, imagine if they had indeed kept Collins and Chandler Jones.
    Not only do they not overpay any player, Belichick doesn't take shit from any player, just ask Malcolm Butler. Belichick would have quietly drafted James Conner and let Bell walk last year and developed a game plan to fit Conner not Bell. Do you think Belichick would even think about keeping Brown after what he did? Nope, he would just trade him and move on. That's every other team's problem, they over value players whereas Belichick just sees them as X's and O's. How long have we heard about the "killer B's"? How many titles did the killer B's win? We should have let Bell walk after Shazier's injury and used his money to draft/sign a replacement for Shazier. That's exactly what Belichick would have done.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Belichick won’t put up with it, but he’s also not afraid to take it on, correct it and then dump it when he’s done...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler