Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morgan Burnett requests release from Steelers

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Morgan Burnett requests release from Steelers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-from-steelers

This time it's safety Morgan Burnett, who told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport that he wishes to be released from his deal before free agency begins in mid-March.

Bye Felicia!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Morgan Burnett requests release from Steelers

Lol. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Edmunds took his job

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Edmunds took his job
    Was it ever really his?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

All snarkiness aside, Burnett was gonna get cut anyway. Now he can enter free agency in control of the narrative.

He is now not an old injury prone safety that has to take a cut rate deal but a playmaker forced to play out of position who sacrificed a year of his career to try and help a team win.

But I'm sure it's really about Tomlin and culture.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    All snarkiness aside, Burnett was gonna get cut anyway. Now he can enter free agency in control of the narrative.

He is now not an old injury prone safety that has to take a cut rate deal but a playmaker forced to play out of position who sacrificed a year of his career to try and help a team win.

But I'm sure it's really about Tomlin and culture.

Burnett was hardly on the field for most of the year, and when he was he wasn't very good. He finally flashed a little bit very late in the year, but the level of play was hard to distinguish between Burnett and Edmunds. Edmunds continued to get better as the year went on and made fewer mistakes.

Burnett was not going to have a starting job unless Edmunds gets injured. He ended up giving very little contribution to this team based on what was expected. They're not going to miss him at all. Do whatever works best for the team cap wise.

By the way, what isn't Tomlin's fault?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

$6.46 milllion cap hit (salary increases from $1 million in 2008 to $5 million in 2019 - LOL) if they would have kept him for next season

$2.83 million dead money cap hit for the acceleration of the signing bonus when they cut him loose

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...-burnett-6579/

Bostic is only a $700K cap hit when that other dynamic offseason FA signing is released

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsbur...-bostic-12331/

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Another fabulous Free Agent pickup, we keep guessing at help and they are crap lately

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Another fabulous Free Agent pickup, we keep guessing at help and they are crap lately

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    What was the last substantial free agent signing they’ve had?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    In terms of non-busts, D'Angelo Williams in 2015 as Bell's backup?

Mitchell was a four year 2014-2017 starter but I of course was not a fan

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    As rocky as his stay was, it sounds like he thought he was of toein' the line...
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

After his play this year he should not be asking for anything. He was going to be cut anyway.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

LMAO ...... he is only doing this because he does not want teams to think he was simply CUT .............
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

LOL. Where do the steelers find these guys?

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Goodness, what a blow to the secondary...

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I hope he doesn't sign with another team at the same position.. a lateral move like that can only mean that this team is sinking and he's trying to get far away

Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Why wouldn't we try to trade him for whatever we can get; releasing him gets us nothing but dead money.

You would think the best thing for Burnett would have been to simply play out his contract, because there is no way he sees that much money again if you ask me. Then again, it sounds like he probably wasn't going to get the chance to play it out anyway.

edit: well, unless he gets traded. That would've been the smarter thing to ask for.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    I hope he doesn't sign with another team at the same position.. a lateral move like that can only mean that this team is sinking and he's trying to get far away

Coach Munchak...is that you???

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    In terms of non-busts, D'Angelo Williams in 2015 as Bell's backup?

Mitchell was a four year 2014-2017 starter but I of course was not a fan
    I guess Mitchell would be the last “substantial” one.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Depends on what you mean by substantial. Playing time/production-wise I would list DWill, Mitchell, Hilton, McDonald, Alualu, Haden, or Bostic. I may be thinking more in terms of offseason acquisitions and not true FA signings maybe?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

What a fucking bum

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Depends on what you mean by substantial. Playing time/production-wise I would list DWill, Mitchell, Hilton, McDonald, Alualu, Haden, or Bostic. I may be thinking more in terms of offseason acquisitions and not true FA signings maybe?
    I forgot that Haden was a free agent signing. I always overlook him. My definition of substantial would be a guy that’s on the roster 3-5 years and actually contributes on a weekly basis - starter material. A guy who would be considered a leader...just an all around solid player. Haden would fit that bill. Mitchell. IMO, I wouldn’t consider Williams a substantial free agent signing, he was kinda here, played well for a few games and then gone after 2. McDonald was a trade. Hilton, Alualu and Bostic don’t fit my definition I guess.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Reports say he wanted to play Safety and his snaps were mostly at dime LB. He was still good in coverage, but wasn't often healthy, so no big deal if they release him, although still not much proven talent at the Safety position.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Who?

Senior Member Array title="Method28 is a name known to all">

Does he have any money they payed him upfront? If so, pay it back and you're free to go

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It'll be a great loss!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Damn man i don't know how we'll ever recover from losing Burnett. Wow the championship window is now closed for the next 200 years

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Method28 View Post
    Does he have any money they payed him upfront? If so, pay it back and you're free to go

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    $4.2 million signing bonus, so if we release him, it's $3M dead cap in exchange for ... nothing at all.

Of course, since his base salary next year is $5 million, we're even worse off keeping him.

You know what, that has got to be one of the shittiest contracts ever negotiated for a deal that size. It basically guarantees that unless the player has an incredible first year, it's no good for anybody and both sides walk away angry.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    $4.2 million signing bonus, so if we release him, it's $3M dead cap in exchange for ... nothing at all.

Of course, since his base salary next year is $5 million, we're even worse off keeping him.

You know what, that has got to be one of the shittiest contracts ever negotiated for a deal that size. It basically guarantees that unless the player has an incredible first year, it's no good for anybody and both sides walk away angry.
    Not quite. Unless I'm not understanding things.
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...munds-nfl-news