Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tomlin on the hot seat?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Tomlin on the hot seat?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Here’s a question: if Tomlin is a Top coach in the league, where is his “coaching tree”? Most of the time a head coach, especially one that has been in the league as long as Tomlin has, starts to develop a coaching tree of sorts. Where is Tomlin’s?
    He's had terrific success jettisoning coaches into lateral moves with other teams... that's a feather in his cap... obviously...

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

These next 2 offseasons are crucial for this franchise. What has been a slow rebuild needs to speed up the process quite a bit. Current positions of strength are aging and will be needing replaced soon, as well as the continued rebuilding of already areas of need.

For instance: QB, Ben is firmly the franchise and we can only hope and pray he lasts until Rudolph or Dobbs are ready to take over, or the next franchise is acquired.

RB: Still a position of strength but still in need of one more guy to really solidify the position.

WR: Been a position of strength but the winds of change seem to be blowing. Who knows the future?

OL: Depth is the issue here. Quality OL with unknown depth if Foster and Gilbert become cap casualties. This group needs help over the next 2 years to continue to be one of the league's best.

TE: After McDonald who do we trust to be the starting TE?

DL: Another position of strength that is in terrible need of quality depth.

ILB: What can I say that hasn't been said?

OLB: Somebody has to step up opposite Watt. And there still needs to be a quality backup.

CB: Holy crap did this group take a big step back this year. Still need an outside cover corner. Haden will need replaced in 2-3 seasons so make that need 2 outside cover corners.

Safety: Davis and Edmunds and that's it. I would like to see these 2 as the quality backups but will settle for them improving and acquiring some quality backup.

One thing the organization has to consider is stability during this rebuild. Tomlin is under contract for 2 more years I believe. I think that how the next 2 offseasons go so far as position improvements will play a huge role in Tomlin's future with the Steelers. If the talent level increases to what we are used to seeing I believe Tomlin will be the HC for another decade. If the talent does not improve these next 2 offseasons, Tomlin's contract may just be allowed to expire.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Belichick has had a TON of coaches get hired as HCs. The only one who has panned out has been Vrabel.
    You don't think it is a little early to call him a success?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Essentially he repeated the same season as the guy they fired.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I was being nice... trying to agree with everyone that Belichick’s coaching tree is AMAAAZING!!!

But, alas, you are correct: Vrabel is the “best” NFL HC on that tree... which isn’t really saying much.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I was being nice... trying to agree with everyone that Belichick’s coaching tree is AMAAAZING!!!

But, alas, you are correct: Vrabel is the “best” NFL HC on that tree... which isn’t really saying much.
    How is a successful coaching tree a sign of a good head coach?

If anything, it makes Belichick seem BETTER that he made his coordinators look good, and not the other way around.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

If anything, it makes Belichick seem BETTER that he made his coordinators look good, and not the other way around.
    Who knows? All I know is...

No matter what: Belichick good, Tomlin bad.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Who knows? All I know is...

No matter what: Belichick good, Tomlin bad.

I understand some of the doubts about Tomlin, but I believe he deserves another year to put this whole thing back together with a good offseason.

He needs to settle the AB situation by making it work with the Steelers and mending fences. He and Colbert need to do well in free agency and in the draft. He then needs to mesh the new talent into the system while finding a way to update the defensive scheme and making the offense more balanced with the running game to help protect the defense.

Many don't believe he can do that. I still think he can if the right moves are made.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post

It's a talking head ESPN measuring stick

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Tomlin on the hot seat? It should be warm... The standard is substandard