Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin on the hot seat?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Tomlin on the hot seat?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If your goal as a fan is merely non-losing season every year, then Tomlin is your guy. If your goal is to win a Super Bowl, then it's looking more and more like Tomlin is not the guy as the years go on.
    Fans aren't in charge, so we don't have "goals". Goals are for people with the power to attain them. What we have is hopes and wishes.

It is my hope that the Steelers have a winning season and I'm happy whenever they make the playoffs. I *could* have higher hopes than that... but really I'd just be setting myself up for perennial disappointment. I find I'm a happier person this way
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

We’ve done as well as we’ve done more because of the talent on the field than the coaching. I just don’t see what edge or advantage our coaches bring to the table. In fact, obvious coaching mistakes have cost us at least 2-3 games. (To be fair our kicker lost us at least that much as well).

Bottom line, I would much rather have a Sean McVay or an Anthony Lynn coaching our team, good coaching would maximize the talent we have. I’m sure the Steelers would be playing today.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Would that be the Anthony Lynn that showed up in the AFC Divisional Round with a gameplan that somehow failed to account for the Patriots passing the ball to their RBs and stuck with a multiple DB sub-package even after Sony Michel and Patterson ran right through and over it?

I'll take McVay as well over about anyone right now. His offensive play calls and aggressiveness are great to watch.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Would that be the Anthony Lynn that showed up in the AFC Divisional Round with a gameplan that somehow failed to account for the Patriots passing the ball to their RBs and stuck with a multiple DB sub-package even after Sony Michel and Patterson ran right through and over it?

I'll take McVay as well over about anyone right now. His offensive play calls and aggressiveness are great to watch.

I swear.....half the people here never watch a single football game the Steelers don't play in.....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I swear.....half the people here never watch a single football game the Steelers don't play in.....
    I have no idea. I feel like I'm gonna hear something good about Jason Garrett next.

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Do we need to watch every other damn game? Most of us watch enough outside the steeler games.

lynn took a mediocre 9-7 team and turned them into a 12-4 contender in one season. He looks a heck of a lot better than our coaches right now.

Of course if I had my choice it would be McVay as well. When the time comes I hope the steelers find someone like him.

If the Steelers could add Bosa and James in back to back years, I'm pretty sure they go 12-4 as well.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post
    Do we need to watch every other damn game? Most of us watch enough outside the steeler games.

lynn took a mediocre 9-7 team and turned them into a 12-4 contender in one season. He looks a heck of a lot better than our coaches right now.

Of course if I had my choice it would be McVay as well. When the time comes I hope the steelers find someone like him.
    Lynn turned the Chargers around... and then... had one of the worst gameplans in recent playoff history.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Lynn turned the Chargers around... and then... had one of the worst gameplans in recent playoff history.
    Pretty much the same gameplan that drives 6 months of fire everyone threads around here. In fact, I'm not sure that Dick Lebeau wasn't somehow involved in that gameplan!

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I have no idea. I feel like I'm gonna hear something good about Jason Garrett next.

If Tomlin and Butler rolled out that game plan, the internet would spontaneously combust.

If Big Ben played like Rivers did for every meaningful moment of that game.....he would be crucified.

If the Steelers were down 38-7 against the Patriots, Mike Tomlin would be considered underqualified for a high school coaching position.....but Lynn is considered an upgrade.

Such is the nature of some fans.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Pretty much the same gameplan that drives 6 months of fire everyone threads around here. In fact, I'm not sure that Dick Lebeau wasn't somehow involved in that gameplan!
    1. The Tebow game (2011)

2. playing the quarter defense (zone to make it worse) against Brady (2018)

If the Steelers could add Bosa and James in back to back years, I'm pretty sure they go 12-4 as well.

All you need is a couple 4-5 win seasons and voila!

1. The Tebow game (2011)

2. playing the quarter defense (zone to make it worse) against Brady (2018)
    Those are the ones. We could add others. But all this Chargers talk is making me think about another thing.

Remember how a NT would save things? Then the Bucs drafted one instead of Derwin James? Wonder how many people still have jobs if the Bucs took James?

Those are the ones. We could add others. But all this Chargers talk is making me think about another thing.

Remember how a NT would save things? Then the Bucs drafted one instead of Derwin James? Wonder how many people still have jobs if the Bucs took James?
    I’d have given up a lot of picks to get Derwin James.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-in-west View Post

You're the one that mentioned Lynn. If you don't want hear about it, don't mention a coach that rolled out one of the worst game plans in playoff history as an upgrade over Tomlin.

If you think that was a good game plan in a big spot, and want that on your team going forward...…explain why that happened and why that won't happen again going forward here.

You're the one that mentioned Lynn. If you don't want hear about it, don't mention a coach that rolled out one of the worst game plans in playoff history as an upgrade over Tomlin.

If you think that was a good game plan in a big spot, and want that on your team going forward...…explain why that happened and why that won't happen again going forward here.
    What? When did I say I don’t want to hear about Lynn? And yeah, he does look better than Tomlin right now. One shitty game? Our Tomlin has had more than a few recently. I’m done with Tomlin, have been since that wonderful playoff showing last year against Jacksonville. I trusted the FO’s judgement when they brought him back and hoped things would turn around but it’s the same underachieving season. I’m convinced we’re going to keep underachieving as long as Tomlin and co are around.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

If he loses another game to a 3 win team he needs to go. I don't care what his overall W/L record is, he's been bailed a lot by having one of the top QB's for many years.

I don't care what anybody says but losing to the Raiders is just inexcusable. They'd probably have the #1 pick in the draft if we didn't shit the bed against them.

That game pretty much ruined our season, as well as Boswell not being able to make a kick in week 1. Had those 2 things not happened, we'd have had the #2 seed and who knows what could have been. This was one of the best teams we've had in years, and jack shit to show for it.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    I don't think its the beginning of the end. I think the Steelers will continue to stick with Tomlin for a long time because of what Art said regarding his contract. He was asked if Mike is going to get an contract extension and he said we'll deal with it when we normally do which is always during training camp. I'm assuming they're going to extend his contract this upcoming summer.
    Problem is that the Rooney's won't pull the trigger. Cowher knew when to exit, Tomlin will milk this cow for as long as he can. And why not? You make X millions of $$, milk it and when you leave, retire and go into broadcasting.

If Cowher is a legend, then Tomlin will be too; they each have 1 SB win and 1 loss.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Here’s a question: if Tomlin is a Top coach in the league, where is his “coaching tree”? Most of the time a head coach, especially one that has been in the league as long as Tomlin has, starts to develop a coaching tree of sorts. Where is Tomlin’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Here’s a question: if Tomlin is a Top coach in the league, where is his “coaching tree”? Most of the time a head coach, especially one that has been in the league as long as Tomlin has, starts to develop a coaching tree of sorts. Where is Tomlin’s?

They are on a long leash.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Lol. I mean is that a valid question??

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Tomlin was being talked about for coach of the year after the Jags game. Overcoming all that drama and the team stuck together. I bought into the hype too.

I actually love the way the team seems bonded, especially to Ben.

As far as strategy, he relies on his staff. He screwed up with AB but I think he’s a fine HC with the right coordinators. But what do I know?

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

Lynn made good offensive adjustments against us in the second half and exploited our ridiculous coverage schemes.

But I don’t think he has the right defensive personnel to beat the Patriots. They kept rushing only from the outside through most of the game. If you can’t get INSIDE pressure on Brady and take away his ability to step into throws he’ll pick you apart.

That’s why I’m eager to see what Donald and Suh can do to him from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    Tomlin was being talked about for coach of the year after the Jags game. Overcoming all that drama and the team stuck together. I bought into the hype too.

I actually love the way the team seems bonded, especially to Ben.

As far as strategy, he relies on his staff. He screwed up with AB but I think he’s a fine HC with the right coordinators. But what do I know?
    But is he smart enough to get the “right coordinators”? Currently, I’d have to say no on 2/3...

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Wow !!! Excellent Question & Point made. The evidence to me is overwhelming that Tomlin is not the coach for the Steelers, Just another excellent point made. I am just adjusting and tolerating him because after over 65 years the being a Steeler fan I just can't stop. Hard as it is and believe it is hard.

I simply do not like Bullshitters and smooth talkers who can not back it up.Giving Tomlin one year to go deep into the play offs , meaning getting into the AFC championship game is fair and understandable. This circus that he is responsible for is totally unacceptable in my mind. Excellence Wins. A great book --A no nonsense guide to becoming the best. PS .. Tom Brady rushes to meeting to avoid the wrath of B B & AB is often late and Cool Shades says "When you become that good you can be late too" People is this Tomlin created culture acceptable ??? Excellence Wins, not Glib Talk.

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

But is he smart enough to get the “right coordinators”? Currently, I’d have to say no on 2/3...
    My first guess is that he lacks the confidence to hire a young talented coach. Such a coach might be in line for his job.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Where are most any coach's? People are out there just not becoming top tier HCs. What does the Sean Payton tree look like? What about the GOAT Bill Bellicheat? We really need to stop trying to hunt down ways to judge Tomlin by comparing him with other organizations. It ONLY matters what he does and what he does for the Steelers. Otherwise it's just a circular conversation.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Wow !!! Excellent Question & Point made. The evidence to me is overwhelming that Tomlin is not the coach for the Steelers, Just another excellent point made. I am just adjusting and tolerating him because after over 65 years the being a Steeler fan I just can't stop. Hard as it is and believe it is hard.

I simply do not like Bullshitters and smooth talkers who can not back it up.Giving Tomlin one year to go deep into the play offs , meaning getting into the AFC championship game is fair and understandable. This circus that he is responsible for is totally unacceptable in my mind. Excellence Wins. A great book --A no nonsense guide to becoming the best. PS .. Tom Brady rushes to meeting to avoid the wrath of B B & AB is often late and Cool Shades says "When you become that good you can be late too" People is this Tomlin created culture acceptable ??? Excellence Wins, not Glib Talk.
    It's OK to not like how a HC operates and leads a team. But just a blanket 'Tomlin sucks and is not a good coach' is simple BS and ignorance. Who's coaching tree did Pete Carroll fall out of? Holtz at Ark? Monte Kiffin? Or was it Bruce Coslet? Carroll has a proven record of being a damn good HC in college and in the NFL. You can ONLY judge Tomlin by Tomlin. Stop the silly comparisons. It just looks dumb.

Belichick has had a TON of coaches get hired as HCs. The only one who has panned out has been Vrabel. But, I credit his success to his four seasons with the Steelers.

ARII has essentially been in charge of hiring (& during) the coordinators. LeBeau was thrust upon Tomlin, and Butler was, too. Arians was an internal promotion by Tomlin. ARII wanted Haley, but Tomlin wanted to make Ben happy; ergo, Ariana was promoted. Arians’s termination was justified, but again, it was an ARII decision... as was replacing him with Haley. Fichtner is (again) a move to keep Ben happy.

So... the one guy that Tomlin has say on (Arians) has had some success. The others... are ARII hires.

Belichick has had a TON of coaches get hired as HCs. The only one who has panned out has been Vrabel. But, I credit his success to his four seasons with the Steelers.

ARII has essentially been in charge of hiring (& during) the coordinators. LeBeau was thrust upon Tomlin, and Butler was, too. Arians was an internal promotion by Tomlin. ARII wanted Haley, but Tomlin wanted to make Ben happy; ergo, Ariana was promoted. Arians’s termination was justified, but again, it was an ARII decision... as was replacing him with Haley. Fichtner is (again) a move to keep Ben happy.

So... the one guy that Tomlin has say on (Arians) has had some success. The others... are ARII hires.
    This is all spot on. You have to look at the specific situation. Tomlin was never in a position to go outside the organization to get “his guy” except if he truly wanted an OC that was better than Haley at the time. But as Teegre says, he was going with what the owner wanted with that hire. And can anyone objectively say that Tomlin was an awful HC by going with that decision? It seemed like a reasonable hire at the time and it probably extended Ben’s career when he started getting hit less.

The other hires were promotions, and situationally understandable.

Yes, special teams is a head scratcher. But as far as coordinators go, where was the objective mistake?

I think he has to keep Butler for another year because Tomlin himself was so instrumental in that defense that he can’t really blame it on Butler. Plus I think that defense improved a lot over the season in many ways. They just need a couple more pieces to the puzzle.

I’m not defending Tomlin’s other mistakes, but I wouldn’t fire him over the coordinator situations.