Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin on the hot seat?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Tomlin on the hot seat?

Here's an article about the Steelers hiring a coach to 'help' Tomlin with clock management and challenges. Knowing that the Steelers aren't a knee-jerk organization that will fire a coach after 1,2,3+ bad seasons, in my opinion, this seems like a message from Rooney saying that Tomlin isn't gettiing it done. Is this the beginning of the end for Tomlin if he can't turn it around?

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...h-replay-clock

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Re: Tomlin on the hot seat?

If he isn't getting it done get someone who can.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quick Google search reveals that New England, Tampa, Rams, and a few others that are not spelled out have all been hiring coaches to take on this gameday task starting in about 2015-16 or so.

I guess it is good to see the team identifying and adjusting to league-wide trends.

Now about defending those empty backfield offensive sets...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Quick Google search reveals that New England, Tampa, Rams, and a few others that are not spelled out have all been hiring coaches to take on this gameday task starting in about 2015-16 or so.

I guess it is good to see the team identifying and adjusting to league-wide trends.

Now about defending those empty backfield offensive sets...
    Ah didn't know that, nevermind then

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Tomlin needs to hire a HC to take over his coaching duties so he can concentrate on practicing gameday platitudes and cleaning his sunglasses.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Best thing Rooney said. “When you miss the playoffs, nobody gets absolved — coaches, players, scouts, front office,” Rooney said. “I think everybody knows we need to be better, including Mike (Tomlin)

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Here's an article about the Steelers hiring a coach to 'help' Tomlin with clock management and challenges. Knowing that the Steelers aren't a knee-jerk organization that will fire a coach after 1,2,3+ bad seasons, in my opinion, this seems like a message from Rooney saying that Tomlin isn't gettiing it done. Is this the beginning of the end for Tomlin if he can't turn it around?

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...h-replay-clock
    YOu might be right when you say the" beginning of the end". I accept that reality that Rooney is going to provide a support system for Tomlin. Effectively transferring responsibilities from him. My question now who is going to provide the locker room & practice field behavior & culture. Ideally I would like to see the leadership come from the players. This includes Big Ben . Steven A Smith please shut your hyper mouth up.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Ah didn't know that, nevermind then
    Yeah. I didn't either. Just ocurred to me that the Steelers are not usually the most innovative place in the world. Turns out it is a "fresh" idea that is meandering through the league.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I don't think its the beginning of the end. I think the Steelers will continue to stick with Tomlin for a long time because of what Art said regarding his contract. He was asked if Mike is going to get an contract extension and he said we'll deal with it when we normally do which is always during training camp. I'm assuming they're going to extend his contract this upcoming summer.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They miss the playoffs, Tomlin has got to go

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Does anybody have the W/L record or winning % of current head coaches in the league handy?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG Ī-

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Carolina a d Atlanta are aboth hiring game day assistant

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Does anybody have the W/L record or winning % of current head coaches in the league handy?
    https://www.footballdb.com/coaches/index.html

Column headings in the linked table can sort rankings by games, wins, and winning %

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

They've officially served notice that they're getting ready to get ready to maybe get ready to possibly think about getting ready to maybe, down the road at some point, think about making a coaching move one day in the future.

Warning shots have been fired - be warned! The seat is hot. Oh, you would not believe how hot the seat is. No seat is hotter than this seat. If we don't turn it around in 2019, you sure probably wouldn't want to be worrying about your job like Tomlin might possibly need to maybe worry about his one day. The stakes are high this year. Yes, the highest stakes there are. Don't win at least 8 games and they're liable to fire the janitor. That's the way to coax out some better performance, because notice will definitely have been served HARD.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    They've officially served notice that they're getting ready to get ready to maybe get ready to possibly think about getting ready to maybe, down the road at some point, think about making a coaching move one day in the future.

Warning shots have been fired - be warned! The seat is hot. Oh, you would not believe how hot the seat is. No seat is hotter than this seat. If we don't turn it around in 2019, you sure probably wouldn't want to be worrying about your job like Tomlin might possibly need to maybe worry about his one day. The stakes are high this year. Yes, the highest stakes there are. Don't win at least 8 games and they're liable to fire the janitor. That's the way to coax out some better performance, because notice will definitely have been served HARD.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Hmmm... the video won’t embed. Oh well. Here’s the link.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    https://www.footballdb.com/coaches/index.html

Column headings in the linked table can sort rankings by games, wins, and winning %
    Meh, so Tomlin is 2nd only to Belicheat in winning percentage, for those coaches with at least 5 years tenure.

Odds are very slim that any coach hired instead would do any better...…………………..so you are tellin me there is a chance?

Woah. Woah. Information has no place in this discussion. It's all about how rooting for the team makes me feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Tomlin's seat is as hot as an ice fishing shack in Alaska right now.

He's made the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons. He isnt going anywhere.

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

"I wouldn't put Mike Tomlin as great because I feel like a great coach
    takes good players and does great things with them." — @jharrison9292

11:04 AM - Jan 15, 2019

Please anybody, what does Mike Tomlin do that is "Great"? I would have said that as a player's coach he ran a good locker room. I wont say it now. I sincerely respect most everybody's opinions What does Tomlin do as a coach that is GREAT?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    "I wouldn't put Mike Tomlin as great because I feel like a great coach
    takes good players and does great things with them." — @jharrison9292

11:04 AM - Jan 15, 2019

Please anybody, what does Mike Tomlin do that is "Great"? I would have said that as a player's coach he ran a good locker room. I wont say it now. I sincerely respect most everybody's opinions What does Tomlin do as a coach that is GREAT?
    Ironic James Harrison of all people would say that. Because prior to Tomlin's arrival Harrison was a backup OLB on both sides and a special teams ace. You can attribute that to Joey Porter being on the team to some degree. But Cowher also had him behind Clark Haggans!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

The real questions for me is How do you hire a Head Coach? What did Dan Rooney see in Noll that he hired him on the spot without anyone's input? What would you look for?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    The real questions for me is How do you hire a Head Coach? What did Dan Rooney see in Noll that he hired him on the spot without anyone's input? What would you look for?
    Link to hiring Noll on the spot with no input?

According to these stories it was a very deliberative process.

The Chief and Dan's brother Art, Jr. also were involved

No surprise the Chief suggested going after Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian

The Chief still couldn’t resist his impulses. Art Rooney Jr. remembered as much ... saying his father, in the middle of the season-ending team party, asked him to call Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian. “I said, ‘Oh, this is going to be embarrassing,’ and my dad said, ‘Look, these guys always have to be looking for their next job. They’re football coaches,’ ” said Rooney Jr., who ran the team’s scouting department. “So I called him and said, ‘My dad told me to call you. Would you like to be a head coach in the pros? The Steelers would like to talk.’ He said, ‘Hey, I have a contract, and I’m living up to my contract, but thank you for calling.’...

Dan Rooney interviewed about 10 candidates in all, most seriously Noll and Cleveland Browns assistant Nick Skorich.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201704180013

The Rooneys, having just fired Bill Austin, had given Joe Paterno, everybody’s opening candidate, first crack at the Steeler job. He had turned it down. Nick Skorich was Noll’s competition. The Patriots were closing fast on Noll, but Rooney says he wasn’t going to be stampeded into anything. He was going to take his time. The Steelers first interviewed Noll in the Kenilworth Hotel in Bal Harbour, Fla., the day after the Super Bowl. Rooney liked Noll’s ideas, his knowledge of the Steelers. ...

Rooney wasn’t about to let a big-name head coach [that refers to Don Shula] talk him into signing one of his assistants
    ; Rooney had already been burned by Lombardi, who had raved about Austin. So, 10 days after the interview at the Kenilworth, Rooney, this time with his dad sitting in, again met with Noll in the Steeler offices at the Roosevelt Hotel in Pittsburgh, and from time to time young Artie Rooney would pop in. As Dan remembers clearly, “It wasn’t one of those peaches and cream interviews. Chuck wasn’t afraid to argue.”

10 days after the interview at the Kenilworth, Rooney, this time with his dad sitting in, again met with Noll in the Steeler offices at the Roosevelt Hotel in Pittsburgh, and from time to time young Artie Rooney would pop in....

“The second thing I wanted to know,” Artie says, “is whether Chuck wanted his coaches to get involved in scouting. He said he most emphatically did, and that’s when we got into an argument. I mean, we agreed that the draft was the only way to build the club, but I wanted the scouting department to have the last word on getting the talent. I’d been running the scouting for about four years. Eventually he won, but we went at it that day.

https://www.si.com/2014/06/17/chuck-...h-man-not-myth

Three points about the Dan Rooney hiring process I noted from those articles

• Do not make a hire just because an assistant is coming from a successful organization and the head coach gives a glowing recommendation
    • Do not get rushed into making a decision even if the candidate may go elsewhere (as opposed to last week's HC hiring frenzy)
    • Get the coach's role worked out before you hire him (in Noll's case on matters such as scouting). FWIW Noll was flexible - he wanted to draft Robert Newhouse rather than Franco but was talked out of it

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I know definitely if Tomlin has back to back losing seasons, he's gone, Rooney will let his contract run out

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Meh, so Tomlin is 2nd only to Belicheat in winning percentage, for those coaches with at least 5 years tenure.

Odds are very slim that any coach hired instead would do any better...…………………..so you are tellin me there is a chance?
    Tomlin's record reminds me a lot of Don Nelson when he coached the Golden State Warriors in the 80s and 90s. Always up there as one of the winningest coaches, best winning percentage except for Pat Riley, etc., and all the stats and indicators were right ... but you knew all it was ever good for was about the 5th seed in the Western Conference and an easy out in the playoffs, and they were just going to get stomped by the Lakers or the Suns, who did everything they did, only better. And the same couple of problems would keep holding them back year after year, and for some reason they couldn't fix those problems drafting 16th or 18th, but the teams ahead of them fixed their problems drafting 24th or 30th. Sure did draft the same kinds of players over and over, though. And that's the way it was for about 10 years. Sound familiar?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The Chief still couldn’t resist his impulses. Art Rooney Jr. remembered as much ... saying his father, in the middle of the season-ending team party, asked him to call Notre Dame coach Ara Parseghian. “I said, ‘Oh, this is going to be embarrassing,’ and my dad said, ‘Look, these guys always have to be looking for their next job. They’re football coaches,’ ” said Rooney Jr., who ran the team’s scouting department. “So I called him and said, ‘My dad told me to call you. Would you like to be a head coach in the pros? The Steelers would like to talk.’ He said, ‘Hey, I have a contract, and I’m living up to my contract, but thank you for calling.’...

Dan Rooney interviewed about 10 candidates in all, most seriously Noll and Cleveland Browns assistant Nick Skorich.

The Rooneys, having just fired Bill Austin, had given Joe Paterno, everybody’s opening candidate, first crack at the Steeler job. He had turned it down. Nick Skorich was Noll’s competition. The Patriots were closing fast on Noll, but Rooney says he wasn’t going to be stampeded into anything. He was going to take his time. The Steelers first interviewed Noll in the Kenilworth Hotel in Bal Harbour, Fla., the day after the Super Bowl. Rooney liked Noll’s ideas, his knowledge of the Steelers. ...

Rooney wasn’t about to let a big-name head coach [that refers to Don Shula] talk him into signing one of his assistants
    ; Rooney had already been burned by Lombardi, who had raved about Austin. So, 10 days after the interview at the Kenilworth, Rooney, this time with his dad sitting in, again met with Noll in the Steeler offices at the Roosevelt Hotel in Pittsburgh, and from time to time young Artie Rooney would pop in. As Dan remembers clearly, “It wasn’t one of those peaches and cream interviews. Chuck wasn’t afraid to argue.”

10 days after the interview at the Kenilworth, Rooney, this time with his dad sitting in, again met with Noll in the Steeler offices at the Roosevelt Hotel in Pittsburgh, and from time to time young Artie Rooney would pop in....

“The second thing I wanted to know,” Artie says, “is whether Chuck wanted his coaches to get involved in scouting. He said he most emphatically did, and that’s when we got into an argument. I mean, we agreed that the draft was the only way to build the club, but I wanted the scouting department to have the last word on getting the talent. I’d been running the scouting for about four years. Eventually he won, but we went at it that day.

• Do not make a hire just because an assistant is coming from a successful organization and the head coach gives a glowing recommendation
    • Do not get rushed into making a decision even if the candidate may go elsewhere (as opposed to last week's HC hiring frenzy)
    • Get the coach's role worked out before you hire him (in Noll's case on matters such as scouting). FWIW Noll was flexible - he wanted to draft Robert Newhouse rather than Franco but was talked out of it

Stand-by, I have to find where I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I know definitely if Tomlin has back to back losing seasons, he's gone, Rooney will let his contract run out
    Given the cluster of the 2006 season when Cowher's contract was not extended prior to the start of the contract's final season I doubt AJRII would have Tomlin coaching during the 2020 season without a new contract

Tomlin has options too - Ravens did not extend Harbaugh with two years left on his contract and with one year left negotiating an extension with him may be getting feisty

As noted by Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens have yet to conduct an annual end-of-season press conference with Harbaugh.

In theory, the team could announce an extension for Harbaugh at any time. But, as Peter King has reported, there’s a “good chance” Harbaugh doesn’t sign an extension and becomes a free agent in 2020.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...act-extension/

I can't find the article, but I remember it saying that Dan personally hired Noll. I'm sure they did their homework but the article made it sound that he was very sure about Noll. Which is why I ask the question on how HC are hired.

I read about AJRII and Colbert's hiring of Tomlin and was a bit puzzled on the points of hire, I mean they are good qualities to have but I didn't see much about football in it. I came across this article when I was looking up something about LeBeau

"The intent of the Rooney Rule was to give coaches such as Tomlin
    a forum to display their credentials. Tomlin was chosen largely
    because of the motivation, enthusiasm and organizational skills he
    showed in two strong interviews with Rooney, Art Rooney II and
    director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2738834

I mean where does football knowledge fit in a hire? If Tomlin or any coach were hired mainly for the above qualities, you might as well hire a Tennis player to coach the team. Is hiring a head coach like the draft a 50/50 crap shoot?

There was just an article somewhere at around the end of the season where one of the Steelers coaches was quoted as saying that Tomlin's football knowledge is off the charts. Talked about how he can diagnose what went right or wrong on a play in the moment down to player assignment level during games.

Honestly, I think Tomlin's biggest failure is that he interacts with and treats his players like they are grown-ass men and gives them the privileges and leeway that assumption entails. Then 1-2 guys a year burn him with that.

Also I think it was Marv Levy: Plan your work and work your plan. That might be all that head coaching really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I mean where does football knowledge fit in a hire? If Tomlin or any coach were hired mainly for the above qualities, you might as well hire a Tennis player to coach the team. Is hiring a head coach like the draft a 50/50 crap shoot?
    The evidence all indicates it's exactly that, a crapshoot. Maybe even more so than the draft. How many people who "should" make great coaches based on past experience and qualifications end up crashing and burning spectacularly? For that matter, how many who have already been successful NFL head coaches end up failing in a slightly different environment? Not quite as many, but it's still a lot of them. And this is something where you tend to have a LOT more measurable evidence before making your decision than you do about some 21-year-old kid who had one good season, and you have 5 minutes to make your choice.

Seems like there is a lot of luck involved, not only about getting someone qualified, but who is the right person at the right time for the team you have and whose style is going to work. I assume they all have a huge amount of football knowledge, which is just table stakes. What matters is whether your methods will work to translate that football knowledge into actual performance, and how much you can get it to work in real time. May not be the same even with the same coach on two different teams or with two different groups of players.
    See you Space Cowboy ...