Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin on the hot seat?

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Re: Tomlin on the hot seat?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    He will no longer be able to watch his older son's games on Friday nights since Dino Tomlin is off to play ball at Maryland next fall so now may be the time

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/dino-to...picks-maryland
    This has been my dream.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Taperiots fans were having this exact same discussion prior to the 2014 season: “Belichick hasn’t won a Super Bowl in a decade!!!”

I know, I know: the Taperiots went to two Super Bowls during those ten years. That’s not the point. The point is that winning Super Bowls is damn difficult.
    The difference is that they were among the top contenders for most/all of those years and had a number of near misses. The Montana/Young 49ers had a similar stretch of several years where bad breaks or one specific problem (no running game) held them back. Then they addressed that problem and went straight back to competing for and winning championships again. Both were still first-rate teams and first-tier contenders the whole time.

In Tomlin's case, there have been several seasons being out of contention or only marginal contenders. Seasons when we were supposed to contend and just ended up being overrated and disappointing. Missing the playoffs roughly half the time (4 out of 7 ain't bad, right?) and finishing with 8 or 9 wins. The same problems persisting for most of a decade straight, and multiple failed attempts to address it. Being a second-tier outside contender and trending flat, not upward.

And there's no difference except the fans are impatient? The problem is that there's something wrong with ME, not anything wrong with the team? You'll forgive me for not buying that.

It's clear as day there's a big goddamn difference. The fans-are-spoiled argument has run its course; maybe a few years ago you could say it, but not now. Not after this long. Now it sounds more like something that people say who just want to argue but don't want to hear anything back.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Got it - just replace him with someone. Bold choice there. Thanks for sharing.
    "I am certain there are a lot of potential coaching candidates out there that neither you nor I have heard of yet, but they exist.”

"OK, name them."

"But I just said we haven't heard--"

"SEE! I TOLD YOU THAT YOU COULDN'T NAME THEM, I'M RIGHT!!!!"
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Mike Tomlin's strength (is you want to call it as such) is bullshit with lies & or stupidity) sprinkled in when necessary ( "I liked the flow & rhythm of the game") ." I didn't know he (Brian Leftwich) was hurt". obviously he knows enough about the game but minimal knowledge, combined with his glib pedantic spraying of words has fooled the Rooneys, the media & a number, declining as it maybe, of loyal Steeler fans. Reasons" Art Rooney wants to preserve the Steeler legacy of long stability of Steeler head coaches. Ok I get it , give Tomlin a DIRECT WARNING not an implied warning. Simply put do not extend his contract. The media be dam. the profession of media news is arguably one of the worst professions in this country. Ignore them or think for yourself if you have the desire to listen or watch. The Steeler fans can have a voice. E Mail The Steelers , Call & leave voice messages. I will not buy any Steeler products nor in fact wear any products.

If you believe Tomin is a great Steeler coach defend him as you will. I won't any more until I see Tomlin and his work improve dramatically.I will remain loyal to the team as I have for over 65 years and sincerely hope Tomlin makes changes within himself I will happily say Great job coach " I don't dislike Mike Tomlin I simply like quality tough CONSISTENT Steeler football and SUPER BOWLS. Its been too dam long.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The difference is that they were among the top contenders for most/all of those years and had a number of near misses. The Montana/Young 49ers had a similar stretch of several years where bad breaks or one specific problem (no running game) held them back. Then they addressed that problem and went straight back to competing for and winning championships again. Both were still first-rate teams and first-tier contenders the whole time.

In Tomlin's case, there have been several seasons being out of contention or only marginal contenders. Seasons when we were supposed to contend and just ended up being overrated and disappointing. Missing the playoffs roughly half the time (4 out of 7 ain't bad, right?) and finishing with 8 or 9 wins. The same problems persisting for most of a decade straight, and multiple failed attempts to address it. Being a second-tier outside contender and trending flat, not upward.

And there's no difference except the fans are impatient? The problem is that there's something wrong with ME, not anything wrong with the team? You'll forgive me for not buying that.

It's clear as day there's a big goddamn difference. The fans-are-spoiled argument has run its course; maybe a few years ago you could say it, but not now. Not after this long. Now it sounds more like something that people say who just want to argue but don't want to hear anything back.
    Interesting that you say 4 out of 7, instead of 4 out of 5. One could just as easily say 6 out of 9... or, 0 out of 1. Regardless, let’s include the two rebuilding seasons.

bolded = playoffs

2012: rebuild
    2013: rebuild
    2014: lost to rival
    2015: lost to Super Bowl winner
    2016: lost to Super Bowl winner
    2017: lost to Jags (who have our number)
    2018: missed playoffs

Aside from this past season, I’m not sure how you can say that the Steelers have been marginal contenders. Losing in the playoffs to a) our rival, and b) two Super Bowl champions is not (IMO) marginal. But, to each his own.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

"I am certain there are a lot of potential coaching candidates out there that neither you nor I have heard of yet, but they exist.”

"OK, name them."

"But I just said we haven't heard--"

"SEE! I TOLD YOU THAT YOU COULDN'T NAME THEM, I'M RIGHT!!!!"
    When you really want to make point using the CAPS LOCK is always effective I guess

Of course coaching candidates exist - 8 of them are being hired this offseason and the next time there is not a coaching candidate that is selected to fill a vacancy will be the first

It is a lot easier to say hire a good one than come up with one - sorry I asked for a clarification on what your "just hire someone else" should involve rather than ask please do go on about how horrible Tomlin is

If the Chiefs, regarded as one of the better run franchises in the NFL over the years, win tonight they will return to the Super Bowl for the first time in 49 seasons.

Yeah, it is absolutely unconscionable that Steelers fans have not been able to celebrate a Super Bowl victory in 10 seasons or a Super Bowl appearance for 8 seasons.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

That was in the days when DeBartolo owned the team and Carmen Policy, along with the Dallas Cowboys, embraced and then mastered the salary cap before anyone else did. The 49ers also didn't have to have a complete rebuild. They transitioned from Montana to Young. If they needed more defense....they'd just go sign the best CB in football in the offseason Deion Sanders. Dallas and San Francisco did this for years by manipulating the salary cap because they figured it out before anyone else did. They won championships with multiple coaches. You can't say that it was all about the coaching when they kept winning with any coach they put in there as long as they spent a shitload of money and the front office people were just smarter than everybody else in figuring out how to manipulate the salary cap. Some people even claim DeBartolo paid players outside the cap by other means. Those were different times.

You're not talking about apples to apples here and a team restricted to a strict salary cap structure like Tomlin's Steelers are in today's game with everyone on an even playing field and is up to speed with how to manipulate the cap structure.

When you really want to make point using the CAPS LOCK is always effective I guess

Of course coaching candidates exist - 8 of them are being hired this offseason and the next time there is not a coaching candidate that is selected to fill a vacancy will be the first

It is a lot easier to say hire a good one than come up with one - sorry I asked for a clarification on what your "just hire someone else" should involve rather than ask please do go on about how horrible Tomlin is
    The entire point is that there is only ONE question that matters: "Is Tomlin doing the right things to take this team toward a championship or not?” Yes/No. Right now, the answer looks like no - we treaded water for several seasons and then took a step back.

So you say "This isn't working, we need to do something else," and you begin your search. Not, "We won't do anything because I'm scared to even look unless a perfect solution is presented right in front of my face."

The point is that there are indeed options out there, and that yes we will find an acceptable one if we look, even if we don't have the ideal candidate in mind before hand. In fact, much of the time you have an ideal candidate in mind beforehand, you don't get him, or you ignore better options by having tunnel vision. Happens in the draft all the time too.

Again, "Is the current coach's performance enough?" should not be confused with "What will be the theoretical performance of a hypothetical coach who I cannot even possibly know who it is, especially since I am limiting my own pool of candidates, for argument's sake, to people who are unlikely to be hired in any case." One matters, the other is just punching the air.

If the Chiefs, regarded as one of the better run franchises in the NFL over the years, win tonight they will return to the Super Bowl for the first time in 49 seasons.

Yeah, it is absolutely unconscionable that Steelers fans have not been able to celebrate a Super Bowl victory in 10 seasons or a Super Bowl appearance for 8 seasons.
    Holy shit, thank you for clearing that up. I had been under the impression that the goal of having a team in the NFL was to win the championship. But it's actually to be pretty good and have people think your organization is classy.

I had the wrong idea the whole time! Just lower your expectations, and suddenly you're doing great like the Chiefs!

Boy, I wish we could be like the Chiefs. Because if they make the Super Bowl, people will definitely be saying "These guys earned it through patience, and this is the payoff for 49 years of making the right moves, what a true example of the right way to do things." And they won't be saying, "Man, these poor sons of bitches haven't won shit since the '70s, even though they were kind of ok sometimes, these fans are way overdue for something to cheer about." No, they certainly won't be saying THAT. They'll say the first one because they know the true meaning of being a FAN, like you.

Tell you what, if they say the first one instead of the second, I owe you a Coke.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If I’m reading this correctly, the current Steelers are in third place.

1. 1980s Niners
    2. 2000s Taperiots
    3. 2010s Steelers

Yep. We’re not as good as the first two. Tomlin isn’t as good as Walsh or Belichick. Sounds about right.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I had the wrong idea the whole time! Just lower your expectations, and suddenly you're doing great like the Chiefs!
    Not too far from the truth. Unrealistically high expectations coupled with impatience leads to disaster. Just ask a Browns fan.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

If I’m reading this correctly, the current Steelers are in third place.

1. 1980s Niners
    2. 2000s Taperiots
    3. 2010s Steelers

Yep. We’re not as good as the first two. Tomlin isn’t as good as Walsh or Belichick. Sounds about right.
    You gave the Patriots as an example of a team that has had more recent success but the fans were still impatient but it turned out not to be justified, therefore if they were too impatient, we are also too impatient. My response was that those organizations made the moves necessary to recapture their success, and we have not. And also that their impatience was not justified because those teams remained top contenders, and a key difference is that we have not remained top contenders.

Actually, the 2010s Steelers may not even be among the top 30 or 40 teams of all time. They haven't won anything, just had the same run of almost-success as a lot of teams ... and a lot of those teams have gotten closer, or actually won one.

It's like people conveniently switch the "past championships" argument on or off as needed to argue that whatever we're doing right now is working. Clearly we've taken a step backwards - what does what happened 10 years ago have to do with that? It reminds me of those Packers fans who are always bragging about all the semi-pro rugby championships they won before there was electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Not too far from the truth. Unrealistically high expectations coupled with impatience leads to disaster. Just ask a Browns fan.
    Not the same thing. If you are in a position where success is within reach, but you fritter it away because you were waiting for the stars to align and you missed a bold move that could've pushed you over the top ... that is a lot different from just being so incompetent in general that you are basically acting at random and you never get off the bottom.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Sorry, but "incompetent in general and basically acting at random" is a fine description of fans IMO. Particularly those who think they know better than the FO when it comes to running a successful NFL franchise.
    The difference between the Browns and the Steelers is that the Browns cave to "fire the bums" fan pressure and the Steelers don't.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is like the old they've done nothing to address the offensive line threads. Except they had thrown draft picks at it, only to see them fail. It's the same with the secondary. They've done about all they can. It just hasn't worked out.

Like what more could they be doing? They cant make teams cut a Joe Haden every year.

You gave the Patriots as an example of a team that has had more recent success but the fans were still impatient but it turned out not to be justified, therefore if they were too impatient, we are also too impatient. My response was that those organizations made the moves necessary to recapture their success, and we have not. And also that their impatience was not justified because those teams remained top contenders, and a key difference is that we have not remained top contenders.
    Again...

Aside from this past season, I’m not sure how you can say that the Steelers have been marginal contenders. Losing in the playoffs to a) our rival, and b) two Super Bowl champions is not (IMO) marginal.

Oh, and Tomlin isn’t as good as Walsh or Belichick. Yet, neither of them will be coaching the Steelers. Ever. Weird.

Lastly, the Taperiots cheated. I’m sorry, but I don’t condone that. To each his own.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This is like the old they've done nothing to address the offensive line threads. Except they had thrown draft picks at it, only to see them fail. It's the same with the secondary. They've done about all they can. It just hasn't worked out.

Like what more could they be doing? They cant make teams cut a Joe Haden every year.
    If only somebody could have seen that Artie Burns was a big reach in the 1st round, they could have used that pick on a player that might help the secondary.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    If only somebody could have seen that Artie Burns was a big reach in the 1st round, they could have used that pick on a player that might help the secondary.
    Sure. And same with some of the garbage o line picks that were made like Hills and Adams. But the charge of doing nothing was wrong then and it's wrong now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you just described is as good an example I can think of for the effect of good coaching versus a lack of good coaching.

What more we could do is bring in a coach with more skill at player development, and who can either identify a coordinator who can run a good defense, or has a good scheme himself and just uses the coordinator as a middle manager.

It really does not look like Tomlin knows how to teach players to get the most out of their abilities, or to teach groups of players to be more than the sum of their parts. It only happens here and there in spots, where we have an outstanding position coach or coordinator. I guess you could rely on bringing in great coaches at all 6 or 7 position coach or coordinator positions, but then you're really missing the point. Top head coaches know how to make these things happen. It's an intangible that he doesn't have, and one of his biggest problems that for some reason is not talked about as much as the stupid shit like timeouts and 4th-and-1 plays that really doesnt matter too much in the grand scheme of things. A top coach would have solved the defensive problem and other problems given 10 goddamn years to do it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Agreed. Burns, Davis, Mitchell, Haden, Allen, Edmunds, Sutton, Hilton, Sensabaugh, other Allen, Berhe, Burnett, gotta be forgetting somebody that the Steelers brought in or drafted to help fix the secondary. Some of these attempts have worked, some not so much. BUT, there is evidence of recognizing a problem and making moves to correct it.

ILB, maybe not as much yet. Bostic, and Spence.

Again...

Aside from this past season, I’m not sure how you can say that the Steelers have been marginal contenders. Losing in the playoffs to a) our rival, and b) two Super Bowl champions is not (IMO) marginal.

Oh, and Tomlin isn’t as good as Walsh or Belichick. Yet, neither of them will be coaching the Steelers. Ever. Weird.

Lastly, the Taperiots cheated. I’m sorry, but I don’t condone that. To each his own.
    In each of those years, they had a fatal deficiency that was obvious before the start of the season, and it was going to be the limiting factor keeping the team from competing for a championship, and it turned out that's exactly what happened. The ceiling was being a marginal contender and that's what we ended up being. Same level of success as the '90s Oilers I mentioned before. They were pretty good, but you KNEW they weren't winning it all. They just weren't set up for that. Same thing.

I also don't recall anyone winning the Super Bowl in 2015, so I don't know where you got that idea from.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If your goal as a fan is merely non-losing season every year, then Tomlin is your guy. If your goal is to win a Super Bowl, then it's looking more and more like Tomlin is not the guy as the years go on.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What you just described is as good an example I can think of for the effect of good coaching versus a lack of good coaching.

What more we could do is bring in a coach with more skill at player development, and who can either identify a coordinator who can run a good defense, or has a good scheme himself and just uses the coordinator as a middle manager.

It really does not look like Tomlin knows how to teach players to get the most out of their abilities, or to teach groups of players to be more than the sum of their parts. It only happens here and there in spots, where we have an outstanding position coach or coordinator. I guess you could rely on bringing in great coaches at all 6 or 7 position coach or coordinator positions, but then you're really missing the point. Top head coaches know how to make these things happen. It's an intangible that he doesn't have, and one of his biggest problems that for some reason is not talked about as much as the stupid shit like timeouts and 4th-and-1 plays that really doesnt matter too much in the grand scheme of things. A top coach would have solved the defensive problem and other problems given 10 goddamn years to do it.
    You are having a short memory lapse, a bout with revisionist history, or a digging your heels in no matter what episode. The defensive issues on this current group of Steelers began when Shazier went down. And check the stat book but the Steelers still managed to finish this last, overall disappointing, season with a better defensive standing than the previous year. So by your very own criteria, Tomlin did that.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    If your goal as a fan is merely non-losing season every year, then Tomlin is your guy. If your goal is to win a Super Bowl, then it's looking more and more like Tomlin is not the guy as the years go on.
    This is the best way of summarizing what I have spent thousands of useless words trying to elaborate on.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    You are having a short memory lapse, a bout with revisionist history, or a digging your heels in no matter what episode. The defensive issues on this current group of Steelers began when Shazier went down. And check the stat book but the Steelers still managed to finish this last, overall disappointing, season with a better defensive standing than the previous year. So by your very own criteria, Tomlin did that.
    The defense still wasn't very good. It was a problem that dogged us all season.

"Better than total dogshit" is not a very high bar to set, or much to be proud of.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

This is the best way of summarizing what I have spent thousands of useless words trying to elaborate on.

The defense still wasn't very good. It was a problem that dogged us all season.

"Better than total dogshit" is not a very high bar to set, or much to be proud of.
    Top 10 in rush defense.

Top 10 in pass defense.

Agreed. "Better than total dogshit".

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/2018/opp.htm

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    It is my impression nobody is contending Tomlin was screwed out of being 2018 coach of the year. Instead the question is whether to concede the inevitable and can him now or, given the crap shot of hiring coaches that can make a bad situation worse, give Tomlin more time to see if he can fix the problems before pulling the trigger.

So if it is looking "more and more like Tomlin is not the guy" do you think he should have been fired three weeks ago after his team reached the AFC championship game two seasons ago, where he was outcoached by Belichick, and 8 seasons since he last reached the Super Bowl?

If so, when should Cowher have been fired?

1999 after two consecutive losing seasons following an AFC championship game appearance in 1997 and coaching a 1999 team that was regarded as being out of control?

Lack of discipline fuels Steelers' fall

There's no telling how far the Steelers would have regressed if their season hadn't come to a merciful conclusion yesterday. But based on the evidence presented at Three River Stadium, it wasn't hard to picture some pretty awful play from a team that -- and this seems hard to believe today -- was in the AFC title game two seasons ago....

It was an ugly ending to an ugly season and it certainly had to give Dan Rooney pause. He knows who's running the organization. He is. He just has to be wondering who's running the team.

http://old.post-gazette.com/steelers...103smizik2.asp

2003 after a losing season following an AFC championship game appearance in 2001 where he was outcoached by Belichick and 8 seasons after his only Super Bowl?

Or if Tomlin should have been fired three weeks ago but Cowher should never have been fired is that because Cowher never had a HOF QB (FWIW that HOF QB has never made All Pro and while very, very good has rarely been placed on the same top shelf as Peyton, Brady, Brees & Rodgers) until 2004?

Consider the possibility AJRII is applying the same standards his father applied with Cowher - a coach with a past record of success should be given time to work through some bad seasons given the alternative of blowing it all up with the possibility it gets even worse

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I think if the 2010's Steelers overachieved, played their hearts out and continually fell short, I think people would a lot less tough on Tomlin. Even if the Steelers lost, it would suck, but at least they gave it their damndest each and every week. These Steelers don't give off the impression that they are doing their damndest to win. They are Ill-prepared, sloppy, and lethargic. Banking on their talent to carry their way to a win.

The Jaguars playoff game is a complete microcosm of this team this half-decade. Immensely talented, but ill-prepared for an opponent. Especially one that kicked their ass earlier in the year. Bell skipping practice before the game says it all. Ben spots the Jaguars 14 early points and the rest is history.

We can blame the loss of Shazier all we want. The fact remains is that the Steelers are poorly coached. They have the talent, but don't do the extra stuff that makes champions.

So the theory is that the starting QB and other players just coast through?

Would that be AV, Heyward, Tuitt, VW, or Watt? What about Foster, Decastro, or Pouncey?

I know his name is mud right now, but would that be the star WR who consistently endangers his body to cross the goal line to beat teams. When was that Ravens game again?

I think the amount of talent on this roster is wildly overestimated. Or, at least it is relative to other upper-echelon teams. Very few teams in the league are just "stacked" and the Steelers are one on offense, but not on defense.

AB, Juju, Ben, and the offensive line, I put on par with anyone in the league. Conner is good, but I agree with many others that alot of guys could put those stats up behind that line. Fieler was a MASSIVE downgrade, especially in the run game, from Gilbert and it just never gets mentioned. Gameplans changed with Feiler in there. The team ran to the left far more and pulled Decastro a lot less. One of their best early season running plays was DeCastro and Gilbert leading Conner around the right side. Rarely saw that with Feiler and it was less effective when it did get pulled out.

Tuitt/Hargrave/Heyward I would put up there with any 3 man line aside from Houston's. Watt is stepping into his own as a pass rusher, but is not a game-wrecking match-up beater. The entire rest of the linebackers on the roster are average at best. The secondary is Joe Haden and the league average replacement level talents. The team gets no plays from its safeties because one of them was a rookie and the other spent most of the season as an emergency last line of defense covering for the potential busted coverage by the likes of Sensabaugh, Hilton (something happened over the course of the season and dude forget how to not stink), Sutton, and Burns. Hard to play complex coverage schemes when only 2 members of the starting secondary are within shouting distance of "above average NFL player".

The talent alone on this roster says 8-10 wins. Coaching may be able to put it over the top and get to 10-12. But until playmakers emerge on defense - meaning players who generate stops on 3rd downs and create turnovers - this is a 10 win team on talent alone. It just isn't some juggernaut that should be steam-rolling over other competent NFL teams. I hate to say this, because it is sad on so many levels and it will be dismissed as excuse making. But put Shazier in the middle of this exact same defense and I truly believe you have a 12+ winning roster. That is how thin the margin is in the NFL and how good I believe Shazier was.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

But didn't really good coaching fix the offensive line?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Let’s see. Here are the only “great” coaches in the NFL (the definition of “great” appears to be a HC who has won a Super Bowl) since Tomlin won his championship in 2008.

2009: Payton... but, (as I posted elsewhere) he has missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 7 seasons (with the best QB in the NFL).

2010: McCarthy... uh... hmmm.

2011: Coughlin... uh... next.

2012: Harbaugh... but, he’s only been to the playoffs twice since then his championship.

2013: Carroll...

2014: Belichick... cheater.

2015: Kubiak... maybe???

2016: Belichick... still a cheater.

2017: Pederson... maybe.

SUMMATION:
    Carroll is the only (non-cheating) HC who is not in the same state of “limbo” where Tomlin currently resides. Pederson seems like he could be the second-best (non-cheating) HC, but let’s see where his team is once his franchise QB needs to get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    But didn't really good coaching fix the offensive line?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    It played a role. But the point is that the team did things to fix the O-line. It took some time but a combination of draft picks, FA's, scheme changes, and coaching all played some role in changing things for the better.

To say that the secondary is having nothing done is to ignore reality. Draft picks, FA's, coaching, and scheme change are all being thrown at the problem.

The "correct" decisions may not being made, but that is a different argument than what I see getting made. To say that things are being done does not mean that I am also saying that it is working well or that other things can not also be tried, but the following myths just make me grind my teeth:

1. The Steelers don't sign important FAs. They have been signing multiple guys each season for years now at critical positions. They have just not all worked out. So maybe they signed the wrong guys, but they are signing a number of guys each off-season.

2. They've done nothing to fix the secondary. I would argue that starting new guys back there most off-seasons and firing the DBs coach qualifies as something. Now, I argue it isn't enough and that there were other moves to be made (Brashaud Breeland was sitting and home and waiting for anyone to call him. He certainly would've looked better than Sensabaugh) but to just repeatedly state that they aren't doing anything is incorrect.

3. The players are lazy and don't try hard. Really? Who is it that you see dogging it during games? Who do you see packing it in and not fighting hard during late game comebacks? Now we can identify guys that don't seem to know particular assignments or are being consistently asked to do things they are not good at doing -- but that is a different discussion.