Thread: Steelers meet with two draft prospects at East/West Shrine Game

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers meet with two draft prospects at East/West Shrine Game

The Steelers met with Missouri TE Kendall Blanton and Oregon LB Justin Hollins on Monday, while GM Kevin Colbert was spotted at practice on Tuesday.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ll-blanton-nfl

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: Steelers meet with two draft prospects at East/West Shrine Game

Let the games begin. Hollins looks like a day 3 OLB prospect that is really quick, but at 6'5 240 he isn't that bulky. Good to see the scouts grinding to find talent.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Shoes, how do you feel about the Steelers possibly drafting a TE this year?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Justin Hollins had a great Shrine game week. He looked athletic and like he has a knack of getting to the QB and is athletic. He looked OK at getting into coverage, but its not yet natural and he got off some blocks well to get to the RB or pressure the passer when rolling. Compariisons were made to the Raven Matthew Judon. Hollins had 10 tackles, 2 sacks and was named co MVP of the Shrine game.

Justin Hollins, LB, Oregon:
    Long and lean at 6-foot-5, Hollins looks the part of a Sam linebacker. While not elite in his pass-rush ability, he will get after the quarterback with a secondary rush. He also sets the edge effectively in the run game and is able to shed to wrap up ball carriers coming into his area. Proving to scouts he possesses the agility to handle coverage responsibilities will earn him the respect he deserves.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001009740/article/2019-eastwest-shrine-game-ten-nfl-draft-prospects-to-watch

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Is he Dion Jordan or is he Kiko Alonso?

Oregon is a highly-athletic team, but their players scare me as NFL prospects.

(Note: Their DL & OL transition pretty well, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I don't think either. I like the Matt Judon comparison actually.

At 6'5", 245Lbs Hollins isn't really strong vs OT's in setting the edge in the run game, nor does he want to get engaged with 300LB O Tackles, but rather use his speed, quickness and change of direction to be a situational pass rusher. He has a knack of finding his way to the QB and getting off the block to chase down RB's, but I think if he added 10-15 lbs to the frame he would be better in the run game and pass rush.

I think he will be a 4th - 6th round pick(Judon went in the 5th) depending on how the rest of the process goes and a guy that takes a year or 2 to develop. In the Shrine game they eventually lined him up as a Will LB and he actually looked rather fluid in space. It actually reminded me of Jamie Collins dropping in coverage. All the other intangibles I don't know about, but the commentators mentioned him as one of the guys that interviewed well, so I think he will be drafted early day 3.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Wait, you mean one-dimensional players who succeed because of gimmick schemes designed to take advantage of the fact that they can run faster than everyone else in college ... don't succeed in the pros when everyone else is just as fast as them? Now that is just fascinating.
    See you Space Cowboy ...