Thread: Alan Faneca A Logical Name To Call Upon For Assistant O-Line Coach

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Alan Faneca A Logical Name To Call Upon For Assistant O-Line Coach

I'd feel better if this happened.

There wasn’t a day that
    Mike Munchak was here in Pittsburgh in which he didn’t have an assistant working with him, and that assistant for that entire time was Shaun Sarrett. Sarrett, in fact, was the Pittsburgh Steelers’ assistant offensive line coach even before Munchak was hired in 2014.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/al...-o-line-coach/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Alan Faneca A Logical Name To Call Upon For Assistant O-Line Coach

I think this would be a great first step toward reversing the brutal ass kicking we've received so far this offseason.

Is it even technically the offseason yet, since some teams are still playing?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

it is for us

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Just because he had a great career as a steeler player doesn't mean he will be a good coach. That has become painfully obvious

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Just because he had a great career as a steeler player doesn't mean he will be a good coach. That has become painfully obvious

No doubt, but I have heard all positives about him the last few years.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I doubt he would come back to Pitt. He left bitter and in a hurry.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think a big reason is that most of our successful linebackers have thrived largely on instinct and being tough sons of bitches, which you can't really teach. A different kind of player might have had more success as a coach there. Same with DB, the top players have a level of game sense and reactions that others don't, but I don't know how you impart that.

I get the feeling that instead of players like Porter and Lake, the better coaches at those positions might have been people like ... Farrior or Deshea Townsend, who made the most of their non-superhuman abilities rather than just being more talented than everyone else.

OL seems like the kind of positions where success is based more on what you know than on raw physical talent, and maybe translates better into coaching.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

OL seems like the kind of positions where success is based more on what you know than on raw physical talent, and maybe translates better into coaching.
    You are correct. Its a position that involves technique, power and controlled aggression, so that you don't over extend yourself in your blocking technique. I seem to recall that O linemen generally have the next highest average Wonderlic scores compared to QB's in the draft process.

I do think if you did the job successfully for a decade, then you know what you are talking about. But some guys just don't teach things as well as they can do things.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Worst case: we’d win a few marathons.

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

My IMPRESSION , and that all I can rely on is that Faneca was a true Steeler, is very self disciplined as marathon runners are , especially because he lost a tremendous amount of weight. And most of all I think Faneca is willing to speak his mind and boy IMO do we need that characteristic. That's one reason he might not be offered the job unless Rooney tells Tomlin hire him . Faneca was very disappointed his OL coach Grim din't get the job and he manifested anger or intolerance with Tomlin in their first meeting in Rooney's office. Off setting what happened years ago is that he has interned with the Steeler's and Mike Munchak. He maybe heading to Denver. Personally speaking I want to hear some good news out of this messed up franchise. This would be a bit of good news.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think this would be a great first step toward reversing the brutal ass kicking we've received so far this offseason.

Yeah the off-season is going worse than the season. Hard to imagine.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

it could be great and it could suck ....

some people can teach and some can play ....

finding someone that can do equally well at both is not a given ....

but hey if we are gonna try this why not bring in Rod Woodson to coach the secondary( couldn't be any worse than what we have had right ?? ) and Levon Kirkland to teach the ILB's how to cover ( it might work , nobody else has been able to get the job done ) those two moves at worst would be lateral ones IMO because the coaches we have in place to do those jobs isnt getting it done anyways how much worse could it be ??
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

How about we identify inviduals with actual track-records of success in teaching football players how to be better?

Faneca has at least been attempting to break into coaching, so okay?

But I don't know, maybe get someone who has worked their way up from the ranks?

As to Faneca being grumpy about Grimm - he was also all huffy that Ben R started over Maddox. So I'm gonna guess that neither are a current issue.