Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Report: Broncos Hire Mike Munchak To Be New OL Coach

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Report: Broncos Hire Mike Munchak To Be New OL Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Is that 9 before AB is traded or do you have him gone already?
    I had this team pegged for 9 wins even before the trade rumors. With Bell gone, Munchak jumping ship, and this subpar coaching staff still in place. Upper tier talent hid the coaching warts. Take that talent away, and what do you get?

Brown leaving puts this team 8-9 wins at the most. 10 is the ceiling, but I think I'm being generous.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    it is possible they offered and he said no thanks.

There’s more to life (and happiness) than money.

My dad once turned down twice the salary to move elsewhere... because, he didn’t want to disrupt my high school experience (relocating during my senior year). Not to be outdone, my dad turned down five times the salary to move across the country... because, he wanted to remain closer to his grandkids.

Time... is the asset that you never recoup.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I agree. But it should be acknowledged that it is possible they offered and he said no thanks.
    IMO that is what happened - this isn't The Godfather where the Steelers could make Munchak an offer he couldn't refuse.

The Steelers presumably could have offered him the OC position when Haley left but who knows if Munchak cared to butt heads with Ben (who had his own candidate for that vacancy) or for that matter had any interest in being an OC since he was getting HC interviews without checking that box on his resume.

As this recent article noted, given his reputation Munchak had all the leverage in any contract negotiations to remain as OL coach

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think it is much simpler than football, money, or any Steelers drama. I think he just wants to be closer to his granddaughter. She lives in the Denver area. He declined the other offers for interview. Went to Denver twice to interview, once for HC and then again for the OL job. Do not under-estimate the value that grandchild has in this.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think it is much simpler than football, money, or any Steelers drama. I think he just wants to be closer to his granddaughter. She lives in the Denver area. He declined the other offers for interview. Went to Denver twice to interview, once for HC and then again for the OL job. Do not under-estimate the value that grandchild has in this.
    I tend to agree with you. I am curious to hear what the Steelers offer was.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Article in today's PPG where Munchak addresses things. It was all about family. He loved his time as a Steeler and said there was no other situation that would have taken him away. Had high praise for Tomlin, Ben and his successor Shaun Sarrett.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Article in today's PPG where Munchak addresses things. It was all about family. He loved his time as a Steeler and said there was no other situation that would have taken him away. Had high praise for Tomlin, Ben and his successor Shaun Sarrett.
    No, no, no!!! Didn't you hear?!?! He's just getting off the sinking ship that is the Steelers' organization!!!*

*Note sarcasm

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Meh...he’s just being PC. He saw the writing on the wall and bailed...lol.

AJRII was making the rounds of the local radio stations as a followup to his group interview with local writers this week and had this to say about Mike Munchak leaving

Last month, Rooney said he and Munchak “lamented” working in a city different than where their grandchildren lived.

“Maybe that was a precursor of things to come because he went out and did something about it,” Rooney II said in an interview with 93.7 FM.

Munchak departed when his contract expired despite Rooney’s efforts to get him to stay in Pittsburgh. Rooney said he also tried to extend Munchak’s contract before the start of the season, so he couldn’t become a free agent.

“He preferred to do it his way,” Rooney said. “I don’t know how long he was thinking about trying to do this. Obviously, it was important to him at some point to get back to the same city as his daughter and granddaughter. … He has a right to make the decision on when he wants to pull the trigger on a contract.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...to-2018-season

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    AJRII was making the rounds of the local radio stations as a followup to his group interview with local writers this week and had this to say about Mike Munchak leaving

Last month, Rooney said he and Munchak “lamented” working in a city different than where their grandchildren lived.

“Maybe that was a precursor of things to come because he went out and did something about it,” Rooney II said in an interview with 93.7 FM.

Munchak departed when his contract expired despite Rooney’s efforts to get him to stay in Pittsburgh. Rooney said he also tried to extend Munchak’s contract before the start of the season, so he couldn’t become a free agent.

“He preferred to do it his way,” Rooney said. “I don’t know how long he was thinking about trying to do this. Obviously, it was important to him at some point to get back to the same city as his daughter and granddaughter. … He has a right to make the decision on when he wants to pull the trigger on a contract.”

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...to-2018-season

Well it was good while it lasted. Wish him the best.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Nice to see Rooney out there after the fact attempting to cover-up the incompetence of Colbert, Tomlin, and himself. They got arrogant and figured everyone would want to stay on with such a stable and well run organization. Bit them in the butt this time.

/sarcasm font

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Well it was good while it lasted. Wish him the best.
    Yep - not surprised to hear the Steelers tried to extend Munchak preseason rather than the initial contention by reporters such as Mark Kaboly that the Steelers simply had failed to engage in due diligence by blithely assuming that no coach would ever leave Steelers nirvana for a lateral move

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yep - not surprised to hear the Steelers tried to extend Munchak preseason rather than the initial contention by reporters such as Mark Kaboly that the Steelers simply had failed to engage in due diligence by blithely assuming that no coach would ever leave Steelers nirvana for a lateral move

So you're saying that Twitter reports are unreliable, largely speculation, and frequently completely untrue?

I'm going to have re-imagine everything.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I don't believe this is a reflection of any kind of the Steelers doing something wrong by not retaining Munchak.

he wanted to be closer to his daughter and granddaughter and when the situation arose that would allow him to do so he jumped on it, pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I don't believe this is a reflection of any kind of the Steelers doing something wrong by not retaining Munchak.

he wanted to be closer to his daughter and granddaughter and when the situation arose that would allow him to do so he jumped on it, pure and simple.
    Yep. It’s refreshing to hear that Rooney was out there with the same feeling that many on this board had and it’s refreshing to hear some of the behind the scenes going on instead of just hearing the media spin.

So you're saying that Twitter reports are unreliable, largely speculation, and frequently completely untrue?

Twitter is an easy target but bad reporting in media by folks who want to get it first rather than get it right has been going on since Gutenberg invented the printing press.

Technology changes but human nature is fairly consistent

I am willing to trade off having to try to filter for credibility the bad from the good information I get online, from sources including twitter, to being limited to what, for whatever reason, some see as the good old days of much more limited media options that were no gold standard of accuracy.

Twitter is an easy target but bad reporting in media by folks who want to get it first rather than get it right has been going on since Gutenberg invented the printing press.

Technology changes but human nature is fairly consistent

I am willing to trade off having to try to filter for credibility the bad from the good information I get online, from sources including twitter, to being limited to what, for whatever reason, some see as the good old days of much more limited media options that were no gold standard of accuracy.
    Sure, I get that. But what no one is doing on a consistent basis is filtering things. People post random Twitter rants and "nuggets" and rarely ever try to determine if the source is credible or the information is even real.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I know it's all new to you, and you always bought in to everything reported there. Try not to be too devastated by that information.

It’s not just Twitter...lol. It’s most of the media...