Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The negativity is oppressive.

Nobody is pleased with how things played out this year, but I just wish that people would try to see that positive things can happen very quickly in the NFL. It only takes a player or two to completely turn things around.

Try to keep the faith. Maybe things will settle down if AB gets traded and they pick up a big-time player or a couple high draft picks and we can concentrate on the draft.....but I doubt it.
    Agree The Saints was one of the worse teams in the league three years ago. Look how they been doing the last two years.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Reading the reactions in this thread, it appears that many of you feel that that the window has closed.

That’s okay... a door will open.
    And hopefully several individuals go through that door without it hitting them in the ass...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    And hopefully several individuals go through that door without it hitting them in the ass...
    Lol I said that a few post earlier, only I was hoping it hit them on the way out!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I hope the door hits a few coaches on the arse when it closes next year.
    Yup and they will need some real team leaders to walk thru the door and into the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yup and they will need some real team leaders to walk thru the door and into the locker room.
    None of the current players are vocal when coming game time. A few are after the game but that's like pissing on a brush fire when it's already has been put out.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    There is....... a ton of negatively on this forum. Not just from the AB drama, but from way, way back. Too much for my tastes, especially considering how wildly successful the Steelers actually are. Sure, they aren't on a current super bowl streak like the Pats, nor are they in the playoffs. But they aren't a team where we are sucking up 6-10 seasons every other, or third year from either. I mean the Ravens are considered a good team by just about everyone, not great, but good, and their fans have to deal with this:

Baltimore Ravens

Year Record Finish (Regular / Post Season)
    2018 10-6-0 1st -- AFC North
    2017 9-7-0 2nd -- AFC North
    2016 8-8-0 2nd -- AFC North
    2015 5-11-0 3rd -- AFC North

Bottom line, there are clear issues to be fixed. But the team is not some powerhouse that *should* be winning all the time either. They have some superstars, but a ton of holes too. Those holes cost games. This year Boz's slump alone cost us the playoffs -- the margin is that close.

AB flipping out may wind up being the best thing for us, depending on how it shakes out. The team needs a "come to Jesus" moment to be sure. But we also have a chance to trade AB and maybe wind up with a better, more balanced team overall. I'm not saying that it will actually work that way, but when a guy doesn't show for work, and has been a problem for a long time, you look at ditching him. You have to, or you risk losing control of all your staff. This could send a message to the team. That they are a TEAM. And if we get a good trade, we could be okay. Honestly the Offense was doing a great job spreading the ball around, while the Defense was still regularly making serious, basic mistakes. If I could trade AB for a medical miracle for Shazier, I would. This is a rare, weird, one of a kind chance to really change the team around in a meaningful way that you just don't see normally.

Can that also cut to the "culture" issue? Well again, it is an opportunity. If it isn't taken then that's on the Steelers, and they don't deserve to win. But if I were the ownership my thinking is that the window is not closed -- we still have Ben, a great Oline, and a good core front 7 on Defense. We need another playmaker on the backfield, and a set of high football IQ guys to support him. With some good pickups in the draft we can wind up right back in this thing next year, maybe having dropped our locker room cancer guys and learned the lesson that no player is above the team. Maybe.

And even if the window is closed, a high 1st draft pick comes to the Steelers only once in a couple of decades, so a replacement for Ben could be a serious choice. That would close the window, but would also open another one.

My thinking is that the whole situation sucked, this year was snake-bitten and just massively disappointing, but you know what? If you can deal away the guys who don't want to be on a successful team than Buffalo is that-a-way, and we have a great deal of needs that have been very, very hard to fill, especially considering our spot in the draft. Take the opportunity, get the players, change the locker room, revitalize the franchise. This needs to be approached as a glass half-full situation, imo.

Dissolv
    Great post!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Here is the problem though, some locker room cancers isn't the biggest problem on the team, the problem remains the coaching and a front office that doesn't want to make necessary changes in the name of "stability". And what has been done to address the coaching? Firing one positional coach. Tomlin with his deficiencies in managing a game, having his team prepared, and scheming are still here. Butler with his complete inability to scheme is still here. Danny Smith the mastermind behind the awful special teams is still here. Fichtner, who is more yes man to Ben than OC is still here. 2018 made it glaringly obvious that a coaching change is needed to be made. Make Antonio Brown the scapegoat, and while a trade may at this point be necessary and inevitable, it will only make the team worse. The offense was barely functional against the last ranked defense in the league without AB and with Fichtner continued passing the ball and Ben becoming more and more mistake prone the INTs are likely to go up. I don't see how you look at this team and think they are just a player or two away or are already Super Bowl ready, just need to trade away their best player to improve locker room morale. Judging by the problems, the path to the Super Bowl starts with Art recognizing that there is a serious problem with this team and starting a much needed house cleaning of the coaching staff

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Here is the problem though, some locker room cancers isn't the biggest problem on the team, the problem remains the coaching and a front office that doesn't want to make necessary changes in the name of "stability". And what has been done to address the coaching? Firing one positional coach. Tomlin with his deficiencies in managing a game, having his team prepared, and scheming are still here. Butler with his complete inability to scheme is still here. Danny Smith the mastermind behind the awful special teams is still here. Fichtner, who is more yes man to Ben than OC is still here. 2018 made it glaringly obvious that a coaching change is needed to be made. Make Antonio Brown the scapegoat, and while a trade may at this point be necessary and inevitable, it will only make the team worse. The offense was barely functional against the last ranked defense in the league without AB and with Fichtner continued passing the ball and Ben becoming more and more mistake prone the INTs are likely to go up. I don't see how you look at this team and think they are just a player or two away or are already Super Bowl ready, just need to trade away their best player to improve locker room morale. Judging by the problems, the path to the Super Bowl starts with Art recognizing that there is a serious problem with this team and starting a much needed house cleaning of the coaching staff
    Regardless what you think of this coaching staff and front office. Despite Ben's interceptions. Despite every self inflicted wound over the course of last season. If 5 plays are properly called by the officials the Steelers would have almost certainly been 12-4, and at the very least 11-5. Either way that those plays were incorrectly called ( two DPI @ New Orleans) or not called ( face mask fumble @ Browns, illegal procedure Chargers, block in back punt ret for TD Chargers) cost the Steelers a playoff berth, and the first round bye the 2 seed brings you. This after last season being cheated out of the 1 seed by the Jesse James reversal.

So I don't know? The difference between winning or losing can often be razor thin. To my eyes last season the Steelers looked to be the inferior team only twice in 16 games. And not by too great a margin against the Chiefs, a game we played without our best DB (Haden) and our best OL (DeCastro) . We got our ass whipped by the Ravens in Pittsburgh. But came back and were much the better team in Baltimore. So do they really suck that bad after all? If they hosted a playoff game last week would the narrative have been this team is poorly coached , quarterbacked, and has a lousy front office? All teams are flawed. You just notice your own warts a little more than the other guys because that's not where your focus is. Hell Drew Brees had a shitty first half against the Eagles. If Jeffries doesn't drop a ball right in his numbers good chance the Saints 1 seed and all are 1 and done. So Brees and Sean Payton go from being chronic playoff under performers to super genius and hero qb based on the outcome of a play they had nothing to do with and should have been made?

You put any team under the microscope we put the Steelers under, turn 2 or 3 games against them on just plane poor calls in critical moments by the officials and they don't look much or any better than this team.

As far as the last game goes. I'm convinced the Steelers woeful offensive showing wasn't because Antonio wasn't on the field so much as why he wasn't on the field and the general stink bomb he left lingering behind. Again the Steelers beat a much more focused and talented Brown team in last years season finale sans Ben, AB, LB, and Pouncey than the Bengals team they faced to end this season. And yes I know that Brown team went 0-16. But they weren't as injury riddled as the Bengals and hadn't quit on their coach the way that Cincy did coming in this year.

Obviously AB will need to be replaced. I don't see them projecting James Washington that far up. And they will via free agency, trade or draft or some combination of those replace him. But it wont be AB I get it. But that's not all a bad thing. Ben threw a lot of interceptions in an effort to appease AB when he didn't feel he was getting the ball enough. ( pretty much all the time) Also the offense lost balance later in the season. I think Conner is the real deal. I hope and believe we will see a better run - pass balance next year.

That's it. I'm glass half full guy. This team is not in need of a complete overhaul. Just some tweaks and some luck and we're on the path to contending.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Regardless what you think of this coaching staff and front office. Despite Ben's interceptions. Despite every self inflicted wound over the course of last season. If 5 plays are properly called by the officials the Steelers would have almost certainly been 12-4, and at the very least 11-5. Either way that those plays were incorrectly called ( two DPI @ New Orleans) or not called ( face mask fumble @ Browns, illegal procedure Chargers, block in back punt ret for TD Chargers) cost the Steelers a playoff berth, and the first round bye the 2 seed brings you. This after last season being cheated out of the 1 seed by the Jesse James reversal.

So I don't know? The difference between winning or losing can often be razor thin. To my eyes last season the Steelers looked to be the inferior team only twice in 16 games. And not by too great a margin against the Chiefs, a game we played without our best DB (Haden) and our best OL (DeCastro) . We got our ass whipped by the Ravens in Pittsburgh. But came back and were much the better team in Baltimore. So do they really suck that bad after all? If they hosted a playoff game last week would the narrative have been this team is poorly coached , quarterbacked, and has a lousy front office? All teams are flawed. You just notice your own warts a little more than the other guys because that's not where your focus is. Hell Drew Brees had a shitty first half against the Eagles. If Jeffries doesn't drop a ball right in his numbers good chance the Saints 1 seed and all are 1 and done. So Brees and Sean Payton go from being chronic playoff under performers to super genius and hero qb based on the outcome of a play they had nothing to do with and should have been made?

You put any team under the microscope we put the Steelers under, turn 2 or 3 games against them on just plane poor calls in critical moments by the officials and they don't look much or any better than this team.

As far as the last game goes. I'm convinced the Steelers woeful offensive showing wasn't because Antonio wasn't on the field so much as why he wasn't on the field and the general stink bomb he left lingering behind. Again the Steelers beat a much more focused and talented Brown team in last years season finale sans Ben, AB, LB, and Pouncey than the Bengals team they faced to end this season. And yes I know that Brown team went 0-16. But they weren't as injury riddled as the Bengals and hadn't quit on their coach the way that Cincy did coming in this year.

Obviously AB will need to be replaced. I don't see them projecting James Washington that far up. And they will via free agency, trade or draft or some combination of those replace him. But it wont be AB I get it. But that's not all a bad thing. Ben threw a lot of interceptions in an effort to appease AB when he didn't feel he was getting the ball enough. ( pretty much all the time) Also the offense lost balance later in the season. I think Conner is the real deal. I hope and believe we will see a better run - pass balance next year.

That's it. I'm glass half full guy. This team is not in need of a complete overhaul. Just some tweaks and some luck and we're on the path to contending.
    Bravo!!!

/thread

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

There were also quite a few calls that went the Steelers way that shouldn’t have. Every team can come out and say that if the officials made this call or that call they’d have 3-4 more wins.

There were also quite a few calls that went the Steelers way that shouldn’t have. Every team can come out and say that if the officials made this call or that call they’d have 3-4 more wins.
    Name them! Outside the Browns facemask fumble the calls I mentioned drew national attention. They weren't just bad. They were egregiously bad and directly affected game deciding touchdowns being scored that had no business being scored. Look I understand missed holds or pass interference calls are often missed. But phantom calls like those against the Saints in those situations really suck.

Anyway officiating aside. Tell me wha\ games you came away thinking the Steelers were outclassed or the inferior team on the field this season? I'll throw in the Jaguars win as one. Anyway I think in at least 13 games we were the team that won the line of scrimmage. The team that generally carried the play through the game. So this narrative that they're going to become NFL weaklings next year just doesn't work with me.

Yes there are things that need to be addressed. Tomlin's game day coaching is obviously one of them and early indications that the process has started on that. Time will tell if the fix is adequate or not. Same thing with Ben's interceptions ( I truly think not having to force AB into the flow of games that he's being double covered constantly will go a long way here) And they need a playmaker or 2 added on defense. Again they know this and hopefully will have enough money to find a true fix here.

So again I think this is a team in need of tweaking, not an overhaul. And I think this is a team that will more likely that not be back in the playoffs next year.

Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Name them! Outside the Browns facemask fumble the calls I mentioned drew national attention. They weren't just bad. They were egregiously bad and directly affected game deciding touchdowns being scored that had no business being scored. Look I understand missed holds or pass interference calls are often missed. But phantom calls like those against the Saints in those situations really suck.

Anyway officiating aside. Tell me wha\ games you came away thinking the Steelers were outclassed or the inferior team on the field this season? I'll throw in the Jaguars win as one. Anyway I think in at least 13 games we were the team that won the line of scrimmage. The team that generally carried the play through the game. So this narrative that they're going to become NFL weaklings next year just doesn't work with me.

Yes there are things that need to be addressed. Tomlin's game day coaching is obviously one of them and early indications that the process has started on that. Time will tell if the fix is adequate or not. Same thing with Ben's interceptions ( I truly think not having to force AB into the flow of games that he's being double covered constantly will go a long way here) And they need a playmaker or 2 added on defense. Again they know this and hopefully will have enough money to find a true fix here.

So again I think this is a team in need of tweaking, not an overhaul. And I think this is a team that will more likely that not be back in the playoffs next year.
    There were plenty of calls that were missed this season that benefitted the Steelers. Were they as big as a phantom PI call against the Saints? Probably not. Maybe the non-call on the Justin Hunter block on the AB TD at Cincinnati with 10seconds left? But these happen in the NFL every year. If you are trying to get 3-4 wins out of penalty calls, you’re grasping for straws. How many of those calls came with no time on the clock? Good teams should be able to overcome a TD deficit. Good teams don’t lose to the Raiders, Chargers and Broncos in consecutive weeks the way this team did.

As for Steelers being inferior, I don’t recall saying the Steelers were an inferior team talent-wise. As a matter of fact, I’ve been pretty much driving the bus that says they were the more talented team than most all teams they’ve played this season, Chiefs and Saints included. Those are your words. Those weren’t mine.

As far as next season, they have a lesser coaching staff than they did this season. They’ll have less fire power on offense in both the run game and pass game. Conner at the end of the season was far from the Conner at the beginning of the season. You’re going to lose one if the best WRs in the game and as much as a diva he is, he and Ben had a great rapport for most of the season with a handful of miscommunications. You won’t replace that. JuJu is awesome but we haven’t really seen him doubled or triple covered. Maybe he will rise to the occasion...maybe he won’t. You’re not going to just replace AB and not think there will be a drop off. One defensive first round pick, maybe two is t going to fix the defense or special teams.

And let’s not mention injuries...there’s no depth on the team. Where’s that coming from? 7-8-9 wins is what I see if they get a 1 for AB and based on this team’s free agent/draft/off-season history.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

The Steelers were last in the Super Bowl 8 years ago, when they lost to the Packers. From that team the most notable subtratcions on Offense are Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Randle El, Milke Wallace, Emannuel Sanders, Antonio Brown. On Defense Keisel, Hampton, Harrison, Polamalu, Farrior, Woodley, Timmons, Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark, Will Gay, Bryant McFadden.

The current Steelers defense doesn't have nearly the playmakers, nor even solid depth that the 2011 team had in the LB corps or Secondary. The receiving talent of Ward, Wallace, AB, Sanders, Randle El and Heath Miller are far above what is currently on the roster. That Super Bowl runner up team was far more talented, with a far better leadership group than the current Steelers have.

Ben has maybe 2 seasons left in him and its extremely unlikely the current Steelers get to an AFCCG in the next 2 years, IMO. No hate, no pessimism, just objectivity.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

There were plenty of calls that were missed this season that benefitted the Steelers. Were they as big as a phantom PI call against the Saints? Probably not. Maybe the non-call on the Justin Hunter block on the AB TD at Cincinnati with 10seconds left? But these happen in the NFL every year. If you are trying to get 3-4 wins out of penalty calls, you’re grasping for straws. How many of those calls came with no time on the clock? Good teams should be able to overcome a TD deficit. Good teams don’t lose to the Raiders, Chargers and Broncos in consecutive weeks the way this team did.

As for Steelers being inferior, I don’t recall saying the Steelers were an inferior team talent-wise. As a matter of fact, I’ve been pretty much driving the bus that says they were the more talented team than most all teams they’ve played this season, Chiefs and Saints included. Those are your words. Those weren’t mine.

As far as next season, they have a lesser coaching staff than they did this season. They’ll have less fire power on offense in both the run game and pass game. Conner at the end of the season was far from the Conner at the beginning of the season. You’re going to lose one if the best WRs in the game and as much as a diva he is, he and Ben had a great rapport for most of the season with a handful of miscommunications. You won’t replace that. JuJu is awesome but we haven’t really seen him doubled or triple covered. Maybe he will rise to the occasion...maybe he won’t. You’re not going to just replace AB and not think there will be a drop off. One defensive first round pick, maybe two is t going to fix the defense or special teams.

And let’s not mention injuries...there’s no depth on the team. Where’s that coming from? 7-8-9 wins is what I see if they get a 1 for AB and based on this team’s free agent/draft/off-season history.
    But you did say this was s tough schedule for the Steelers even though they were the better team on paper because the teams on the schedule always play us tough. So even with the better talent, adding in the calls Zu brings up, and the injuries you brought up, is it not expected to see the Steelers struggle this season? I believe that is the point of this. Add it all up and it’s easy to see areas that can be cleaned up and improved. Most of the debate is on the best way to do that. Not that it can’t be done.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

The Steelers were last in the Super Bowl 8 years ago, when they lost to the Packers. From that team the most notable subtratcions on Offense are Hines Ward, Heath Miller, Randle El, Milke Wallace, Emannuel Sanders, Antonio Brown. On Defense Keisel, Hampton, Harrison, Polamalu, Farrior, Woodley, Timmons, Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark, Will Gay, Bryant McFadden.

The current Steelers defense doesn't have nearly the playmakers, nor even solid depth that the 2011 team had in the LB corps or Secondary. The receiving talent of Ward, Wallace, AB, Sanders, Randle El and Heath Miller are far above what is currently on the roster. That Super Bowl runner up team was far more talented, with a far better leadership group than the current Steelers have.

Ben has maybe 2 seasons left in him and its extremely unlikely the current Steelers get to an AFCCG in the next 2 years, IMO. No hate, no pessimism, just objectivity.
    Agreed and you could see this even more so in the 70 Steelers. The Steelers are going to have their hands full in the AFC North in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    But you did say this was s tough schedule for the Steelers even though they were the better team on paper because the teams on the schedule always play us tough. So even with the better talent, adding in the calls Zu brings up, and the injuries you brought up, is it not expected to see the Steelers struggle this season? I believe that is the point of this. Add it all up and it’s easy to see areas that can be cleaned up and improved. Most of the debate is on the best way to do that. Not that it can’t be done.
    That schedule last season, the way it lined up and the teams that were on it, was probably one of the worst I’ve seen and remember in a long time. This season coming up looks to be an easier schedule, however, without AB and with this current coaching staff and group of talent as a whole, I don’t feel like they are going to be better than they were last year. Hence the reason, easier schedule, lesser team, similar results. Of course it’s early, AB isn’t gone yet, we don’t know what free agency or the draft has presented the Steelers but basing off their past histories, we aren’t expecting top flight free agents or guarantee draft prospects to come in and save the team. Maybe they can be better and sure we can see areas that need to be cleaned up but some of these areas have been “dirty” for a couple/few seasons so what makes anyone think they’d be cleaned up now?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Agreed and you could see this even more so in the 70 Steelers. The Steelers are going to have their hands full in the AFC North in 2019.
    Agreed. When you hit it right and assemble talent like Bradshaw, Greene, Swann, Stallworth, Lambert, Ham, Franco, Blount, Shell, etc. you have to be proud that you got all those talent acquisitions right. Then as they age and move on, you start trying to fill the void with Mark Malone, Walter Abercrombie, Robin Cole, Mike Merriweather, Louis Lipps, Eric Green, Dewayne Woodruff, etc. While they are good, they just aren't as great as that group that got you to the Super Bowl.

I think we are seeing a similar period to that of approx. 1982 where Bradshaw was nearing the end of his career and the talent around the team was in transition, but just not where it was with those Super Bowl teams.

That schedule last season, the way it lined up and the teams that were on it, was probably one of the worst I’ve seen and remember in a long time. This season coming up looks to be an easier schedule, however, without AB and with this current coaching staff and group of talent as a whole, I don’t feel like they are going to be better than they were last year. Hence the reason, easier schedule, lesser team, similar results. Of course it’s early, AB isn’t gone yet, we don’t know what free agency or the draft has presented the Steelers but basing off their past histories, we aren’t expecting top flight free agents or guarantee draft prospects to come in and save the team. Maybe they can be better and sure we can see areas that need to be cleaned up but some of these areas have been “dirty” for a couple/few seasons so what makes anyone think they’d be cleaned up now?
    It's funny how we're required to downgrade Ben on interceptions and subsequently discount much of his positive productivity. Hell some of these people would flush it all as if never happened. That Ben's net contribution is less than zero. Funny how none of that applies to AB? As we all know AB was the target on the majority of Ben interceptions. Does it occur to anyone that we weren't the only ones that saw AB was covered too tight on many of those plays? That Ben saw it too. But still went there because if AB goes too long without a catch, if someone else is getting more catches ( even if on less targets) he knows he's going to lose AB at the end of the game. The KC loss was a clear case in point. Ben didn't throw an interception that game. The offense was highly productive. But AB didn't get his so he pouted and sulked.( he actually had a decent game 9-67- 1td, but Shuster was much better) He followed up that game by not showing up for Monday film break down. Anyway I don't think AB's going to be missed nearly as much as most think he will. Don't be shocked if Ben's int's rate goes down significantly. They will come up with a able bodied replacement. This is a team that has a knack for finding and developing good receivers. As bad as we are with defensive backs we tend to be that good with receivers. It might not be AB. But if it's 75% AB without the headaches and whining it might actually prove to be a net gain.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

You act like this organization doesn't need to change a thing, that they were Super Bowl ready this year, it's just that the big bad Goodell refs wanted to cheat the poor steelers and rob them of their playoff spot. That may make some people feel better, but if the organization wants to take that route, they are in for a rude awakening. Yep Cleveland was all refs, had nothing to do with 6 turnovers being committed or the kicker missing a field goal. They got cheated in the Chargers game. Nope awful special teams and the coaches thinking LBs who can't cover should be covering a pro bowl WR had nothing to do with it. Saints was the pass interference call by Joe Haden. The fake punt call to Rosie Nix on 4th and 5 or 6 at midfield, the fumbles, a long catch and run by Kamara with time running out in the 1st half and a 3rd and 20 conversion, none of those things had anything to do with the losses, it was all the refs fault. Just like last year's Patriots game, the loss had nothing to do with Todd Haley's idiotic playcalling or the team's inability to stop Rob Gronkowski.

Championship caliber teams OVERCOME a bad call or 2 in the game, they don't let themselves miss the playoffs and then point fingers at the refs. Blaming the officials can't hide the warts on this team that helped derail the season. And if this team did make the playoffs, they would have just gone one and done anywat

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

You act like this organization doesn't need to change a thing, that they were Super Bowl ready this year, it's just that the big bad Goodell refs wanted to cheat the poor steelers and rob them of their playoff spot. That may make some people feel better, but if the organization wants to take that route, they are in for a rude awakening. Yep Cleveland was all refs, had nothing to do with 6 turnovers being committed or the kicker missing a field goal. They got cheated in the Chargers game. Nope awful special teams and the coaches thinking LBs who can't cover should be covering a pro bowl WR had nothing to do with it. Saints was the pass interference call by Joe Haden. The fake punt call to Rosie Nix on 4th and 5 or 6 at midfield, the fumbles, a long catch and run by Kamara with time running out in the 1st half and a 3rd and 20 conversion, none of those things had anything to do with the losses, it was all the refs fault. Just like last year's Patriots game, the loss had nothing to do with Todd Haley's idiotic playcalling or the team's inability to stop Rob Gronkowski.

Championship caliber teams OVERCOME a bad call or 2 in the game, they don't let themselves miss the playoffs and then point fingers at the refs. Blaming the officials can't hide the warts on this team that helped derail the season. And if this team did make the playoffs, they would have just gone one and done anywat
    Good post.. Spot on.

It's funny how we're required to downgrade Ben on interceptions and subsequently discount much of his positive productivity. Hell some of these people would flush it all as if never happened. That Ben's net contribution is less than zero. Funny how none of that applies to AB? As we all know AB was the target on the majority of Ben interceptions. Does it occur to anyone that we weren't the only ones that saw AB was covered too tight on many of those plays? That Ben saw it too. But still went there because if AB goes too long without a catch, if someone else is getting more catches ( even if on less targets) he knows he's going to lose AB at the end of the game. The KC loss was a clear case in point. Ben didn't throw an interception that game. The offense was highly productive. But AB didn't get his so he pouted and sulked.( he actually had a decent game 9-67- 1td, but Shuster was much better) He followed up that game by not showing up for Monday film break down. Anyway I don't think AB's going to be missed nearly as much as most think he will. Don't be shocked if Ben's int's rate goes down significantly. They will come up with a able bodied replacement. This is a team that has a knack for finding and developing good receivers. As bad as we are with defensive backs we tend to be that good with receivers. It might not be AB. But if it's 75% AB without the headaches and whining it might actually prove to be a net gain.
    AB brings more to the offense than just his stats. He also helps a player like JuJu become single covered or draws coverage away from the seam for McDonald. Will JuJu be able to step up in a fashion that AB did when Wallace walked? Maybe, maybe not. Let’s say he does. Where are you then getting JuJu’s production? No one on this current roster? Eli Rogers has a lot of potential...a lot...but that’s all it is right now.

As for Ben. He doesn’t have to throw those balls. If he’s throwing balls for the sake of throwing them, maybe he’s not as good a QB as we thought. Those are just poor choices and more of the season as a failure should then fall on his shoulders. Failure for past seasons should fall on his shoulders then. Good QBs don’t do that.

Anyway, there’s as much a chance that AB returns as there is he’s traded at this point. Nothing has been communicated for certain...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Reading the reactions in this thread, it appears that many of you feel that that the window has closed.

That’s okay... a door will open.
    Indeed, summation and averred!

For me, being friends with most of the posters here for 7-10 years, I ENJOY ALL the banter; negative, positive, or negative-sarcastic (like steelereserve, which is admittedly my absolute favorite)!

It's all good and sadly more enjoyable than the Steelers at the moment.

Here's to another year of friendship, blabbery and squandery of championships!
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

For me, being friends with most of the posters here for 7-10 years, I ENJOY ALL the banter; negative, positive, or negative-sarcastic (like steelereserve, which is admittedly my absolute favorite)!

:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

You suddenly glided into this conversation like a guru. Keep on keepin on my man!

Now, back to how 2019 is kind of this generations version of 1982 and a transition to the next version of what Steeler football will most likely be.....

You really haven't comprehended a damn thing I said, so not going to bother addressing your many misconceptions of what I've said.

Championship caliber teams OVERCOME a bad call or 2 in the game, they don't let themselves miss the playoffs and then point fingers at the refs. Blaming the officials can't hide the warts on this team that helped derail the season. t
    Life can be simple. Either make progress or make excuses. Like you say, champions make progress...not excuses.

Life can be simple. Either make progress or make excuses. Like you say, champions make progress...not excuses.
    No one on the team is making excuses. If you see that coming from them then he would have a point. I offered valid reasons that negatively influenced their final record this season. Not excuses. I merely pointed out warts and all, if the refs call those 5 plays correctly the Steelers are either 11-5 or 12-4. And further pointed out that the perception of this team would change accordingly had they earned a playoff berth and bye.

Never did I say they were flawless. Or that there isn't much that needs to be addressed and corrected. But I do stand by the notion that we scrutinize this team to the degree you would think they were coming off consecutive 4-12 seasons. That Tomlin was a complete idiot without the first clue on how to coach. That Ben was a piece of shit loser incapable of leading a team to a presason win. That there isn't a player on defense that could make another teams roster etc...

Yeah I'm exaggerating. But it frustrates me how narrow minded, obnoxious, and spoiled many Steeler fans have become. This is still a talented team! Tomlin needs to address his replays and game management at times, but he still has that lockeroom and is a top notch coach. Stand his record against anyone but Bellicheat and scrutinize it to the same degree you do him and tell me who's better? Same with Ben. Apparently it escapes people that even elite qb's aren't perfect. Watching this year's playoffs I'm seeing open receivers missed, poor reads, turnovers, ( Brees had 2 in the first half against the Eagles) I mean apparently if Ben doesn't do everything right then he hasn't done anything right. On and off the field or in the locker room.

Anyway, if you people want to see the window as closed, the cupboard bare, the team in a hopeless downward spiral, good for you. Enjoy your misery.

As for me. I still see an elite qb, an emerging feature back, an emerging star non diva WR, solid TE's ( hoping James is back) a top 5 OL. I see a defensive core of Watt, Heyward, Hargrove, Tuitt, Heyward and think there's something to build around. I see Edwards coming off a promising rookie year and think he could step up in a big way next season. I see the possibility of using money saved on L.Bell to address the corner opposite Haden and get a quality ILB.

The idea that this teams success was dependent on AB is ludicrous to me. They will adjust. No things wont be the same. But change was needed. So bottom line. Go piss in your cheerios if that's your thing. Me. I know this team. I know it's resilient. I have little doubt they're going to be in the thick of things next season and that their ceiling is as high as anyone's.

Anyway, if you people want to see the window as closed, the cupboard bare, the team in a hopeless downward spiral, good for you. Enjoy your misery.
    There is no misery, just objectivity for me. After AB is dealt, the Steelers best player will be a 37 year old QB that hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 8 years and is surrounded by a team that lacks much of the similar talent that won the last Lombardi 10 years ago.

Ever think of switching to decaf?

There is no misery, just objectivity for me. After AB is dealt, the Steelers best player will be a 37 year old QB that hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 8 years and is surrounded by a team that lacks much of the similar talent that won the last Lombardi 10 years ago.

Ever think of switching to decaf?
    You might think about taking your great objectivity and use it to scrutinize other teams roster's and coaching staffs to the same degree you do the Steelers. Tell me when you find the unflawed team that has no chance of bouncing back to the pack next year.

The Steelers will take as much first rate talent into next season as just about anyone.

You might think about taking your great objectivity and use it to scrutinize other teams roster's and coaching staffs to the same degree you do the Steelers. Tell me when you find the unflawed team that has no chance of bouncing back to the pack next year.

The Steelers will take as much first rate talent into next season as just about anyone.
    The Steelers will not win another Lombardi in the next 2 or 3 years that Ben possibly has left in his career.

When he retires or when his contract is not renewed, then we can revisit this thread and see that in a QB driven league, the Steelers will have to wait for another very good QB to be at the helm in order for them to even think of getting to an AFCCG. I personally hope that he is on the roster already, so it doesn't take that long, but it likely will.