Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Nothing can top the Yankees. Pats would have to win 10 more super bowls

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Nothing can top the Yankees. Pats would have to win 10 more super bowls
    I think the Montreal Canadiens are in the same neighborhood, although a lot of that is from when there were like 6 teams in pro hockey.

What the Patriots have accomplished is not anywhere in the ballpark of the greatest dynasty of all time. A handful of championships over 20 years - basically the same as a cheating version of the San Antonio Spurs, and I don't hear anyone talking about them as the all-time greatest or even close.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    May not be 'closed' but it's shutting.

If Ben doesn't come back close to where he was, you'll a need crowbar to open that window. Fans don't want to hear it, but there is a trend with Tomlin losing to sub .500 teams ( Like the Jets and Browns this year ) not playing well on the road, and being 3-6 in his last 9 playoff games with the Steelers last playoff win being 2016...we are in 2020. So how far open has the window really been?

The defense is top notch. Boswell is money. Those two pieces of the puzzle and good QB can get the Steelers to 10-6 next season. Better coaching / not losing to doormat teams can get them to 11-5 or 12-4.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Why wouldn't Ben come back healthy next season? Just a question. Why all the doom and gloom hypotheticals? Yes I was there for the Bradshaw years. I suffered through the 80s. I watched as O'Donnell threw perfect passes to wide open DBs in a superbowl we should have won. Ben has been the best QB this franchise has seen. He has been one of the toughest SOBs this league has seen at the QB position. He will be back and IF his new 100% is noticeably lower than his past 100% he will still be better than anyone else on this roster, in the draft, or Philip Rivers. Should we draft a QB for the future? Absolutely! But it is not an emergency and shouldn't be a panic move either. There are so many offseason moves this team needs to make that are more important than finding Ben's replacement.

As far as the NFL/Dynasty goes, all the way back to before the merger. What the Patriots have done since 2000 is considered a dynasty. With how the rest of their division has played in that same timespan, with all of the cheating proven and alleged, with the epic failures of teams to simply finish games against them, even with all of that the Patriots are the league's current dynasty team. This too will pass and the next dynasty team will rise, and so on and so on. And when those dynasty teams are not the Steelers we will hate them for their success. Here's to a future Steelers dynasty.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Maybe some are skepitcal that a 38 year old QB coming off surgery to muscles in his elbow of his throwing arm will return to form. Seems like a rational reason for concern, as many NFL QB's are retiring or retired at that age, without major surgery being done and rehab from the surgery.

I think we see Ben come back and at best 1 or 2 seasons of OK play. At worst, he doesnt have the arm strength or accuracy and its like watching Kent Graham throw the ball in a #7 jersey. Either way, I dont expect to see the Steelers hoist another Lombardi trophy for several years and that is fine by me. I enjoyed Steelers football for the last 40 years and I have only seen them win 4 Super Bowls.

I cant understand why people lose their $hit over a team losing a game 27-21 and calling for guys to be fired or traded. Can be a fan without being a dickhead.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The negativity is oppressive.

Nobody is pleased with how things played out this year, but I just wish that people would try to see that positive things can happen very quickly in the NFL. It only takes a player or two to completely turn things around.

Try to keep the faith. Maybe things will settle down if AB gets traded and they pick up a big-time player or a couple high draft picks and we can concentrate on the draft.....but I doubt it.
    Nobody has been happy for four years, the last playoff win the Steelers had was 2016. You could argue we have a chance to make the playoff in next season, but that hinges on Ben coming back close to where he was.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    Nobody has been happy for four years, the last playoff win the Steelers had was 2016. You could argue we have a chance to make the playoff in next season, but that hinges on Ben coming back close to where he was.

This season showed how quickly things can change with a few additions. Just look at how the defense became a force with just the right additions.

If the offense can get a healthy Ben back, the WRs now have experience, and they can add a couple pieces, they can take a big step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I think the Montreal Canadiens are in the same neighborhood, although a lot of that is from when there were like 6 teams in pro hockey.

What the Patriots have accomplished is not anywhere in the ballpark of the greatest dynasty of all time. A handful of championships over 20 years - basically the same as a cheating version of the San Antonio Spurs, and I don't hear anyone talking about them as the all-time greatest or even close.
    Screw Montreal. Freakin' Habs.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You know what? I give up. I really do. Tomlin and staff get canned tomorrow and a new staff of stalwart heroes is installed. How many playoff wins is necessary for success? 2 per year? 3? Only Super Bowls? If so how many?

Or does this only work in hindsight?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You know what? I give up. I really do. Tomlin and staff get canned tomorrow and a new staff of stalwart heroes is installed. How many playoff wins is necessary for success? 2 per year? 3? Only Super Bowls? If so how many?

If he wins regular season, he sucks. If he gets to the divisional round every year and loses, he sucks. If he loses in the championship game, he sucks...just like Cowher did. If he wins a Super Bowl every year, he’s okay...but they could probably find someone better.

Be happy you are t on some of the Facebook groups...they’re making it a racist issue, they are suggesting trading JuJu to NE for a first round pick, they want James Conner cut, trade next years first round pick for Taysom Hill because, you know, he’s better than Drew Brees...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Six Rings View Post
    I enjoyed this past season. A lot.

Last season was a little disappointing. That was my least favorite in recent memory.

2017 was the Jesse Caught It season. Al Riveron forced us to play at a lower seed... which bit is in the butt. Also, losing Shazier (and his primary backup) in the same game set the stage for that playoff loss. But, to say that I didn’t enjoy that season is flat-out wrong.

2016 finished with a loss in the AFCCG. Yeah, Bell being healthy and Bryant being available probably makes that a more competitive game, maybe even a win (although, we still ”could” have lost... if that makes you happier). Once again, I enjoyed going to the AFCCG. I’m not sure how that season can be seen as a failure. But, to each his own.

I’ll add one more... just for fun.

2015 ended because Toussaint fumbled. We had the (eventual) Super Bowl champs on the ropes. I thoroughly enjoyed that season.

SUMMATION:
    Wrong

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If he wins regular season, he sucks. If he gets to the divisional round every year and loses, he sucks. If he loses in the championship game, he sucks...just like Cowher did. If he wins a Super Bowl every year, he’s okay...but they could probably find someone better.

Be happy you are t on some of the Facebook groups...they’re making it a racist issue, they are suggesting trading JuJu to NE for a first round pick, they want James Conner cut, trade next years first round pick for Taysom Hill because, you know, he’s better than Drew Brees...lol.
    Good lord. I always love the "trade player X because he sucks for a really high round draft pick" arguments. Like if he is WORTH a first round pick, how is your team better for getting rid of him? If he would actually make your team better by getting rid of him, how do you expect to get a first round pick? The logic is ridiculous on its face.

BTW, did you hear that Facebook and other internet sites want to fire Tomlin and this place has an unusual % of Tomlin defenders? The internet will be the death of the species.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Good lord. I always love the "trade player X because he sucks for a really high round draft pick" arguments. Like if he is WORTH a first round pick, how is your team better for getting rid of him? If he would actually make your team better by getting rid of him, how do you expect to get a first round pick? The logic is ridiculous on its face.

BTW, did you hear that Facebook and other internet sites want to fire Tomlin and this place has an unusual % of Tomlin defenders? The internet will be the death of the species.
    At the rate this world is going the internet/Twitter could be the end of the planet...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I'm not sure there is a number that is sufficient. They will keep moving the goalposts.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I'm not sure there is a number that is sufficient. They will keep moving the goalposts.
    Nope. I'm totally going over to the other side. It isn't moving the goalposts, it is about how you feel - deep down inside. And I feel angry, disappointed, sad, and like less of a person because my favorite sports team didn't win a bunch of things. How can I feel superior to my friends, coworkers, and other anonymous people on the internet if the team I follow doesn't win enough to be remembered by everyone as a great team? I mean, I certainly can't fall back on the crapsack that is my actual life. I need to be validated by my fandom.

I am also crowd-sourcing all of my opinions and decisions to Facebook, the internet overall, and Twitter. I totally know who to blame for everything that I disagree with, all my voting for like the next 2 decades is figured out ahead of time for me, and I even know my opinion on tv and movies before they come out and I even watch them! Life is SO MUCH easier now. I don't know why I wasted all these years trying to figure it all out for myself.

So, to recap:
    1. Fire Mike Tomlin and his staff of know-nothings.
    2. Hire a coach with a ton of name recognition on the internet. It would help if he would have a connection to western Pennsylvania.
    3. Draft a big RB. Just the biggest one you can find. Bonus points if he is from a small school somewhere between Pittsburgh and the Mississippi River and north of the mason-dixon line.
    4. Begin imposing your will on other teams and iron discipline in fundamentals on your own team. Salt tablets and suicides all around. Maybe just start showing up at players homes to run random Oklahoma Drills.
    4. Watch the championships roll in. Just drowning in SB wins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    At the rate this world is going the internet/Twitter could be the end of the planet...lol

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I have a better idea, steal Darth Hoodious, Brady, the 85 Bears defense, the greatest show on turf, and a bunch of current pro bowlers to play special teams. Also, get a training staff that can pump our guys full of undetectable HGH so they are are Thanos sized, run like Sanders and are smarter than Einstein. That is the only way to get a tepid response from some people.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Many predicted the team was going 8-8 with Ben in 2019. They reached that level, albeit without him for the most part.

So by transitive property, the team is going to be better with Ben in 2020. 11-12 wins better. With this offense.

That's very big wishful thinking on here.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Many predicted the team was going 8-8 with Ben in 2019.
    I think those predictions had more to do with the defense (which, by pretty much every conceivable measure, showed marked improvement in 2019) than the offense.

Those predictions were also being made before the giant upgrade known as Minkah Fitzpatrick arrived on the scene and Dupree massively upped his game.

And who knows how much better the 2019 defense could have still been had Tuitt not wound up on IR, because he was playing at an All-Pro level himself before he went down.

Can't discount Boswell's return to form either, especially due to the fact that points came at a premium all season. And if 2019 Boz would have showed up in 2018, the 2018 squad would have been in the playoffs.

They reached that level, albeit without him for the most part.
    Again, I think that had more to do with the defense than the offense. 2019 offense + 2018 defense + 2018 Boswell = 4-12 record, if they're lucky.

Hell, Artie Burnt's greater presence in the starting lineup (in 2018 as opposed to 2019) probably equates to 1-2 additional losses alone.

So by transitive property, the team is going to be better with Ben in 2020. 11-12 wins better. With this offense.

That's very big wishful thinking on here.
    Personally, i'm taking a wait-and-see approach, because I'm not at all convinced that Roethlisberger comes back at 100%, if at all - the guy's never exactly been a gym rat.

And the fact that he recently looked as if he had been hitting the all-you-can-eat buffet circuit with the OL doesn't engender a ton of confidence in me that a full comeback is in store either.

And if he doesn't, the team as a whole is pretty much screwed either way, at least for the short term, because, well, we've all seen just how bare the cupboard is at QB behind him at this point.

The defense, however, appears to have finally returned to championship level and, IMO, was the primary reason (along with Boswell's resurgence) the team was 8-8 in 2019 as opposed to 3-13/4-12.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Personally, i'm taking a wait-and-see approach, because I'm not at all convinced that Roethlisberger comes back at 100%, if at all - the guy's never exactly been a gym rat.

And the fact that he recently looked as if he had been hitting the all-you-can-eat buffet circuit with the OL doesn't engender a ton of confidence in me that a full comeback is in store either.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I could look fat growing a huge beard and wearing a huge jacket. unfortunately i can't grow a beard

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Yep, beards can do that. Not looking too shabby in that shot......for that matter, neither is Franco.

If Ben can’t come back next year, then we will most definitely pick up a Fitzmagic type QB in the offseason. Think about it as a FA QB in the offseason, this team with crap at QB almost made the playoffs. Average QB play gets us in there and probably at least a deep run. There will be several QBs that fit that mold and what QB in that position wouldn’t want their shot at a legit SB run.

I am not worried about QB next season.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersNorth is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    If Ben can’t come back next year, then we will most definitely pick up a Fitzmagic type QB in the offseason. Think about it as a FA QB in the offseason, this team with crap at QB almost made the playoffs. Average QB play gets us in there and probably at least a deep run. There will be several QBs that fit that mold and what QB in that position wouldn’t want their shot at a legit SB run.

I am not worried about QB next season.
    It'll be interesting to see what the Steelers do come the new league year.
    I think Ben is due a bonus on day 5 like most guys are structured.
    In saying that do the Steelers ask him to push it back like they did with Boswell or carry on status quo?
    I see it 2 ways:
    Status quo = a good sign
    News about deferring it = very bad news for 2020
    Long shot = should they go the route of 'veteran' sans deferring the bonus or hell vice versa then its really up in the air/major protection plan in place

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I think those predictions had more to do with the defense (which, by pretty much every conceivable measure, showed marked improvement in 2019) than the offense.

Those predictions were also being made before the giant upgrade known as Minkah Fitzpatrick arrived on the scene and Dupree massively upped his game.

And who knows how much better the 2019 defense could have still been had Tuitt not wound up on IR, because he was playing at an All-Pro level himself before he went down.

Can't discount Boswell's return to form either, especially due to the fact that points came at a premium all season. And if 2019 Boz would have showed up in 2018, the 2018 squad would have been in the playoffs.

Again, I think that had more to do with the defense than the offense. 2019 offense + 2018 defense + 2018 Boswell = 4-12 record, if they're lucky.

Hell, Artie Burnt's greater presence in the starting lineup (in 2018 as opposed to 2019) probably equates to 1-2 additional losses alone.

And if he doesn't, the team as a whole is pretty much screwed either way, at least for the short term, because, well, we've all seen just how bare the cupboard is at QB behind him at this point.

The defense, however, appears to have finally returned to championship level and, IMO, was the primary reason (along with Boswell's resurgence) the team was 8-8 in 2019 as opposed to 3-13/4-12.
    I think this goes way beyond Mason/Duck’s deficiencies. They were stuck in an offense specifically designed and tailored for Ben. The Steelers literally went “All-In” on Ben. Randy Fichtner has proven to be a figurehead and not an Offensive Coordinator, and there is no QB coach. The Steelers have hitched their wagon to the Ben train for the foreseeable future. It’s not their fault. They have 30 million reasons why and Ben is the franchise. They made an investment and the results have been questionable so far. Some of it self-inflicted. Mostly just shitty luck.

You’re right in that there is Nothing more we can do now but wait.

Not sure they didn’t immediately hire a QB coach once Ben went down, hard to believe there were zero available.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Not sure they didn’t immediately hire a QB coach once Ben went down, hard to believe there were zero available.
    They already have Lewis from Revenge of the Nerds on staff as an offensive assistant and apparently serves as a QB coach. They feel fine with him I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    They already have Lewis from Revenge of the Nerds on staff as an offensive assistant and apparently serves as a QB coach. They feel fine with him I guess.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    My bad.

I guess Ben is simply afflicted with "fat face syndrome."

On a serious note, that pic makes me feel a LOT better about 2020.

My bad.

I guess Ben is simply afflicted with "fat face syndrome."

On a serious note, that pic makes me feel a LOT better about 2020.
    Honestly, if the guy is 240lbs or 250 lbs it still isn't going to influence how he throws the football. I'd rather he was 270 and fully healed so he can play 2 more seasons, than 235, lean and the surgery and recovery wasn't successful

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Honestly, if the guy is 240lbs or 250 lbs it still isn't going to influence how he throws the football. I'd rather he was 270 and fully healed so he can play 2 more seasons, than 235, lean and the surgery and recovery wasn't successful
    THANK YOU!!! I don’t care if Ben is fat, skinny, lean, mean, or anorexic. All that I’m worried about is his elbow.

That said, his beard is kind of gross.