Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Breaking news! The window is not closed!

Ed Bouchette: Steelers opening a new kind of window

ED BOUCHETTE
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JAN 18, 2019

Much of it not their choice, the Steelers find themselves in a restoration, transitioning to an unknown era, but not necessarily an unsuccessful one.

They really did not want this. They wanted to sign Le’Veon Bell to a long-term contract and tried for two years to do so. They wanted to keep feeding Antonio Brown the ball over the next three years through the end of his contract. They wanted Mike Munchak to coach their offensive line forever. They would love more than anything for Ryan Shazier to return to full ambulatory health. They tried to keep and help Martavis Bryant.

Instead, they have none of that and the star system that served as their locomotive for many years is ending.

All teams evolve annually, but the Steelers ran straight into a wall even Donald Trump could not envision, and now they see the future and it will not resemble the recent past.

to read rest of article:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201901180111

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The Steelers will not win another Lombardi in the next 2 or 3 years that Ben possibly has left in his career.

When he retires or when his contract is not renewed, then we can revisit this thread and see that in a QB driven league, the Steelers will have to wait for another very good QB to be at the helm in order for them to even think of getting to an AFCCG. I personally hope that he is on the roster already, so it doesn't take that long, but it likely will.
    I can pretty much say that about any team and be right. Chances are against any random team that they'll win the SB in either of the following two seasons. 1-32 chance.

Here's another good prediction to make. Antonio Brown wont be on a Super Bowl winning team in the next two seasons. Same applies for LeVeon Bell. That's how it works in a 32 team league.

Here's my prediction. The Steelers will at the very least make it to the divisional playoff round next season. (final 8) If they don't I will discontinue posting here. What say you?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Here's my prediction. The Steelers will at the very least make it to the divisional playoff round next season. (final 8) If they don't I will discontinue posting here. What say you?
    But you still want your game check though, right?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    But you still want your game check though, right?
    Of course!

Speaking of which time to make my annual donation to the site!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Of course!

Speaking of which time to make my annual donation to the site!
    Amen Zu.

Was 2018 the first year

SU did not hit their extremely modest goals for fundraising

to cover their minimal costs

for this great meeting place for Steelers fans?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Here's my prediction. The Steelers will at the very least make it to the divisional playoff round next season. (final 8)
    So you are saying the Steelers will be selecting 25th in the 2020 NFL draft after finishing top 8, as compared to selecting #20 like they will in this years 2019 draft for missing the playoffs.

That is what is considered as the window being open and a successful 2019 season? Um......ok.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Which closes the window even further.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So you are saying the Steelers will be selecting 25th in the 2020 NFL draft after finishing top 8, as compared to selecting #20 like they will in this years 2019 draft for missing the playoffs.

That is what is considered as the window being open and a successful 2019 season? Um......ok.
    So you would rather draft a little higher than make it to the divisional playoff round, 1 win away from the conference championship game? I'm not capping it there by the way, I just believe this team is a couple moves from being a solid contender again next season.

A pissed off Ben is dangerous. And you can bet he's aware of all the snakes in the grass hissing at his ankles right now. He won before AB got here, and judging by his near career high for QBR I would say he's a better qb now than he was from 04-09.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Will we have to give back any of the 6 Lombardi's we won while AB was here?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Will we have to give back any of the 6 Lombardi's we won while AB was here?
    If he gets traded, those Lombardi’s will be part of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Ed Bouchette: Steelers opening a new kind of window

ED BOUCHETTE
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JAN 18, 2019

Much of it not their choice, the Steelers find themselves in a restoration, transitioning to an unknown era, but not necessarily an unsuccessful one.

They really did not want this. They wanted to sign Le’Veon Bell to a long-term contract and tried for two years to do so. They wanted to keep feeding Antonio Brown the ball over the next three years through the end of his contract. They wanted Mike Munchak to coach their offensive line forever. They would love more than anything for Ryan Shazier to return to full ambulatory health. They tried to keep and help Martavis Bryant.

Instead, they have none of that and the star system that served as their locomotive for many years is ending.

All teams evolve annually, but the Steelers ran straight into a wall even Donald Trump could not envision, and now they see the future and it will not resemble the recent past.

to read rest of article:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201901180111
    That's a pretty good article by old Ed. I especially like the last paragraph.

The Steelers as we’ve known them are breaking up. The window has closed, not necessarily on their ability to win or compete for the playoffs and Super Bowl. It has closed on a star system that drove them for so long. A real window is about to be thrown open. Adding fresh air to the product should benefit it.
    I just wish we had better coaches to take us into the new era, not the one that created the monster to begin with.

So luck has nothing to do with the results of football games huh? Tom Brady throws what should have been his 3rd interception (obviously he stinks by the standards of this board's experts'.) 48 seconds to go. Games essentially over. But as luck would have it a Chiefs player lines up offsides. Had no bearing on the play. But Brady and the Patriots get a get out of jail free card, and to their credit do what they need to to win the game.

I will add this. Damn OT rule has to change. Both teams should get at least one chance to touch the ball in OT

Anyway on the the NFC title game. Saints in position to put away the game. Obvious DPI by the Rams. Obvious helmet to helmet hit by the Rams on the intended receiver. Inexplicably missed by the refs?! This was the game. Call that play right and the Saints are in position to bleed out the clock before a chip shot fg att. Instead Brees throws an int in OT ( he sucks too apparently as per our resident qb experts) and the Rams get the win.

Bottom line. Luck was everything at the end of these games. Brady got a second chance due to forces outside his own control. The Chiefs were one stupid brain fart away from a comeback for the ages.

The Saints, one inexplicable missed DPI away from the SB.

Not suggesting anything untowards. Not crying, had no stake in either game. Just pointing out that luck absolutely play a part in sports. The Steelers had some shitty luck this year in some very selective game shaping situations and that as much as anything else is why they didn't make the playoffs this year.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I’m sick of all the negativity about the negativity!

And the negativity about the negativity about the negativity!

All posters who don’t share my precisely nuanced blend of positivity, negativity, objectivity, and attitude about everything in general should die of butt cancer!

Actually, I don’t think there have been any “bad” posts, except those with no substance other than criticizing the TYPE of post that have no place on their perfect forum.

Like my post right here is the perfect example of the type of post that should sentence me to posting jail for life! And then some!

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I think we should not trade AB. The only problematic “drama” comes from losing.

Our team will PROBABLY not improve by subtracting AB.

But I also agree with Zu that the margin between winning and losing was razor thin with this team.

We were a few missed field goals from a first round bye. Even with all the horrible calls that actually did lose us some games.

We beat the Patriots. We were good enough to beat the Saints in NO.

We were good enough to beat any team in the NFL.

We aren’t a DOMINANT team that can overcome so many turnovers and bad calls and missed kicks and bad in game decisions.

But we’re a good team and more balanced than most. We don’t suck.

If we fix the situation with AB - and he is not a monster or that big a problem. He’s just the best WR ever - we have as good a chance next year as any other team.

And if you don’t agree you’re too negative. Or too positive. Or something objectively wrong because you don’t agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I’m sick of all the negativity about the negativity!

And the negativity about the negativity about the negativity!

All posters who don’t share my precisely nuanced blend of positivity, negativity, objectivity, and attitude about everything in general should die of butt cancer!

Actually, I don’t think there have been any “bad” posts, except those with no substance other than criticizing the TYPE of post that have no place on their perfect forum.

Like my post right here is the perfect example of the type of post that should sentence me to posting jail for life! And then some!
    Obviously.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Some objectives things

1. For the whole fine line thing, yes they were a play or two in a few games away from the 1 seed. They were also Baker Mayfield starting week 1, one less Fitzception turnover, and one less miracle against a trainwreck organization in Jacksonville away from 7-9. Throw in AJ Green starting week 17, they're 6-10. Fine line works both ways. I'd argue last year, they were a tougher schedule or a few plays away from 8-8 and missing the playoffs.

2. Say they get the 2 seed this year, does anyone honestly think that they would have beaten the Pats in the divisional round? That Bellichick and Brady wouldn't have adjusted from the last meeting especially with all the drama that surfaced after the regular season?

3. What people don't mention is that the o-line is bound to get worse, and the running game possibly along with it. Munch is gone and will not be easy to replace. Ramon Foster is likely gone, Gilbert can't stay on the field and you don't have Munchak who can just insert anyone to play at a high level. The o-line will regress as will the offense along with it. AB gets traded and the offense will regress further

4. Some people say this team not far off, not far off from a Super Bowl or not far off from a quick playoff exit in a conference where there is legitimately one Super Bowl contender. It is not hard to imagine them making the playoffs again in 2019 especially if AB returns and Ben doesn't throw a bunch of INTs again, but ultimately the goal is Super Bowl, not a quick postseason exit. Objectively speaking, numerous changes have been needed to be made for this team to start to be Super Bowl ready, and all they have done at this point is let one underperforming position coaches' contract run out. The head coach, the DC, the special teams coordinator all are still here, and there is a complacent owner whose standard of success apparently is winning season and contention for a division title

Call me a pessimist, this is a purely objective stance. They may not be far off from a winning season and a playoff appearance that will placate the owner and apparently some fans but as far as Super Bowl is concern, they need a complete culture change and overhaul

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Some objectives things

1. For the whole fine line thing, yes they were a play or two in a few games away from the 1 seed. They were also Baker Mayfield starting week 1, one less Fitzception turnover, and one less miracle against a trainwreck organization in Jacksonville away from 7-9. Throw in AJ Green starting week 17, they're 6-10. Fine line works both ways. I'd argue last year, they were a tougher schedule or a few plays away from 8-8 and missing the playoffs.

2. Say they get the 2 seed this year, does anyone honestly think that they would have beaten the Pats in the divisional round? That Bellichick and Brady wouldn't have adjusted from the last meeting especially with all the drama that surfaced after the regular season?

3. What people don't mention is that the o-line is bound to get worse, and the running game possibly along with it. Munch is gone and will not be easy to replace. Ramon Foster is likely gone, Gilbert can't stay on the field and you don't have Munchak who can just insert anyone to play at a high level. The o-line will regress as will the offense along with it. AB gets traded and the offense will regress further

4. Some people say this team not far off, not far off from a Super Bowl or not far off from a quick playoff exit in a conference where there is legitimately one Super Bowl contender. It is not hard to imagine them making the playoffs again in 2019 especially if AB returns and Ben doesn't throw a bunch of INTs again, but ultimately the goal is Super Bowl, not a quick postseason exit. Objectively speaking, numerous changes have been needed to be made for this team to start to be Super Bowl ready, and all they have done at this point is let one underperforming position coaches' contract run out. The head coach, the DC, the special teams coordinator all are still here, and there is a complacent owner whose standard of success apparently is winning season and contention for a division title

Call me a pessimist, this is a purely objective stance. They may not be far off from a winning season and a playoff appearance that will placate the owner and apparently some fans but as far as Super Bowl is concern, they need a complete culture change and overhaul
    You can do that type of analysis with any team in the league. The ability to almost immediately go in either direction between penthouse and outhouse is exactly the type of league that the NFL wanted and has set everything up for.

Honestly, love them or hate them, believe that they are cheaters or a well oiled machine, what the Patriots have done over the last 10 years+ is simply absolutely unbelievable and represents a run of dominance that I do not believe we will ever see ever again in the NFL.

https://www.patriots.com/news/nfl-de...from-2010-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You can do that type of analysis with any team in the league. The ability to almost immediately go in either direction between penthouse and outhouse is exactly the type of league that the NFL wanted and has set everything up for.

Honestly, love them or hate them, believe that they are cheaters or a well oiled machine, what the Patriots have done over the last 10 years+ is simply absolutely unbelievable and represents a run of dominance that I do not believe we will ever see ever again in the NFL.

https://www.patriots.com/news/nfl-de...from-2010-2017
    If the Patriots win, they will have the greatest NFL, and possibly sports, dynasty of all-time. I know that rubs everyone wrong here, including myself, but I'm tired of insulting my own intelligence.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If the Patriots win, they will have the greatest NFL, and possibly sports, dynasty of all-time. I know that rubs everyone wrong here, including myself, but I'm tired of insulting my own intelligence.
    Even “if” the Taperiots win (with “if” being the operative word), they would still only be the second best dynasty.

The Celtics’s 11 championships in 12 years will neeeeever be outdone.

I posted this in another thread but it can’t be posted enough:

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-year-old...184439991.html

Yankees and Montreal Canadians come to mind.

Yankees and Montreal Canadians come to mind.
    I always have to factor in the dynamic of free agency to the equation. I'm not the type to worry about the level of play and athletes, but I do strongly consider the fact that teams can no longer keep a team together for dynastic runs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Even “if” the Taperiots win (with “if” being the operative word), they would still only be the second best dynasty.

The Celtics’s 11 championships in 12 years will neeeeever be outdone.
    IMO, if Jordan hadn't tried baseball, the Bulls would've had 8 straight and I would put that ahead of the Celtics.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I always have to factor in the dynamic of free agency to the equation. I'm not the type to worry about the level of play and athletes, but I do strongly consider the fact that teams can no longer keep a team together for dynastic runs.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, if Jordan hadn't tried baseball, the Bulls would've had 8 straight and I would put that ahead of the Celtics.
    Yup, but if the refs throw a flag, then the Saints are in the Super Bowl. Hypotheticals don't mean crap IMO. Reality does.

I think UCLA and John Wooden's 10 titles in 12 seasons and the Celtics 11 of 12 have to be up at the top IMO. Yes the Bulls get underestimated due to the 2 separate 3 peats, but consider the supporting cast that revolved thru there and you really realize how great Jordan was.

Back to the topic of this thread. Its been 10 years since the last Steeler Super bowl and sadly it might be another 10 until we see them there again.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You hear players talk about it all the time. The SB is the crowning glory of the NFL. NOBODY should take it for granted. It is very hard to get there, and then even tougher to win it. What the Pats have done SB-wise is incredible. I can say that honestly. How they get there is a whole different conversation altogether. The "window" is NEVER closed on any TEAM. Football is football, players play, size strength and speed, scheme beats talent or talent beats scheme, just score one more point than the other guys. All of that is cliché as hell but it comes from truths about the game. These colors still mean something. The Rooney name still means something. Players want to play here, I don't care what these threads on here are redundantly saying. This TEAM is ALWAYS in the conversation for a reason. Argue about the whys and hows of it being 10 years, but do not believe the window has closed. Not for a minute.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Which always brings up the question of...

Why did Jordan “retire”???

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I have always heard that the move to baseball was something he did for his dad.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is my favorite sports conspiracy of all time! It was an unofficial gambling suspension!

For perspective on how hard Jordan and his crew hit it, read about how he basically financially and emotionally broke Antwan Jamison.

There are claims that Jordan bet 100K on rock paper scissors on a regular basis!

Curious to see how last season ended on the board. Some good comments, some outrageous ones.

I can pretty much say that about any team and be right. Chances are against any random team that they'll win the SB in either of the following two seasons. 1-32 chance.

Here's another good prediction to make. Antonio Brown wont be on a Super Bowl winning team in the next two seasons. Same applies for LeVeon Bell. That's how it works in a 32 team league.

Ouch...good news for Zu though is I think he gave up on the board long ago...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Curious to see how last season ended on the board. Some good comments, some outrageous ones.

Ouch...good news for Zu though is I think he gave up on the board long ago...lol.
    I think he gave up on the board when Ben went out. Although true Ben fans would have believed that #7 could win games by himself from the sidelines.

Sorry,

I just can't accept that. They've had two, and now perhaps three different scandals that surround cheating during that same period. And then, there's still the issue of Brady receiving radio signals right up until the snap and perhaps even after, according to Doug Flutie who was on the sidelines and heard the signals through a helmet he was using to keep up with the play calling.