Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head Coach And The Team Culture

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Head Coach And The Team Culture

I don't think any veteran leadership ever assembled would've done much to change the most recent and visible "drama" outcomes:

1. Harrison was a veteran and suppossed leader.
    2. Martavis Bryant is a mental health issue and substance abuser.
    3. Leveon Bell was C.R.E.A.M.
    4. Antonio Brown is well...this one might...maybe....oh I have no idea.

3 of the 4 had very little to do with leaderhsip or lack thereof. They had to do with the decisions made by an individual that had little to do with team or anything but selfish actions.

I still believe there is a great deal of leadership and accountability on this team. Each Sunday I watch the team play and there are never heads down on the sideline, regardless of score. I watch the team come back from multi-score deficits on a regular basis. I see guys like AB blocking downfield for their teammates. I see defensive players doing the dirty work so other guys can get free on the pass rush. Someone posted about those Oilers teams and how I member said they needed therapy. I remember those teams folding whenever they faced adversity. I truly believe that Mike Tomlin's Steelers teams have simply gone back out onto the field and tried to play their way back into every football game. That has to come from somewhere.

The 2018 team didn't have a single bounce go their way. I think that is about as complicated as the discussion needs to be. I can not remember a squad that just had this much Murphy's Law.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    The rams are a heck of a team but one has to wonder why the defense is " not good" with all the perceived talent it has ........
    Great point. They seem to struggle whenever Talib is out or has a bad day. Kinda uncanny...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    This right here.

No Potsie "Poker" crew on this team right now to keep the locker room steady.
    Yeah, I heard Willie McGinist once talk about how there was always a group of veteran leaders in the Pats locker room that kept control of the culture and focus of the team. He kind of elaborates on it in this article.

“I don’t think there’s enough [emphasis] put on the leadership role, in not only having players being productive, but respecting and cherishing those leaders that you have,” McGinest told the Herald. “I think it’s a great example not just with the Patriots, but with a lot of teams in the NFL. There’s a distance between the coaches and the players. And regardless of how a coach’s relationship is with his players, there’s always a small buffer there.McGinest also said that when he was on the team from 1994 to 2005, there were never any instances of players publicly questioning the head coach like Thomas did because the player-leaders held their teammates accountable for their actions.

Read more at:
    https://nesn.com/2010/01/willie-mcgi...ership-issues/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Harrison was a veteran leader and when he arrived the second time, the defense went from trash to solid in no time. Many here were saying just having his presence was worth the pay check. You can’t discount that and then when your leader goes rogue, so does everyone else...

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Got a feeling the team culture will not be an issue next season with AB and LeVeon gone.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Harrison was a veteran leader and when he arrived the second time, the defense went from trash to solid in no time. Many here were saying just having his presence was worth the pay check. You can’t discount that and then when your leader goes rogue, so does everyone else...
    I felt it back then and I strongly believe it now - James Harrison is a great football player, a manical workout beast, but he is not a leader.

He has never played a role in mentoring players -- many have remarked on his example, but not his working with them to be a better linebacker or pass rusher. He did bring a few guys to work out with him in the off-season on strength and conditioning, so that is a major plus. But Harrison rarely sacrificed for team. He complained about playing time. He complained about dropping into coverages. He never attempted to learn how to play the other side of his position - so he couldn't be used in a flexible manner. I don't remember him being a frequent interview or question answering guy - unless it was about him.

To me, VW and Heyward are much better leaders. Great examples. Selfless play style. Never seem to shrink from answering tough post-game questions.

I could be having my usual memory gaps. But that's just how I see it.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I felt it back then and I strongly believe it now - James Harrison is a great football player, a manical workout beast, but he is not a leader.

He has never played a role in mentoring players -- many have remarked on his example, but not his working with them to be a better linebacker or pass rusher. He did bring a few guys to work out with him in the off-season on strength and conditioning, so that is a major plus. But Harrison rarely sacrificed for team. He complained about playing time. He complained about dropping into coverages. He never attempted to learn how to play the other side of his position - so he couldn't be used in a flexible manner. I don't remember him being a frequent interview or question answering guy - unless it was about him.

To me, VW and Heyward are much better leaders. Great examples. Selfless play style. Never seem to shrink from answering tough post-game questions.

I could be having my usual memory gaps. But that's just how I see it.
    I think Deebo lead by example. A guy with that work ethic and no nonsense, laser focus is somebody that younger guys will follow. I seem to recall a bunch of the young LB's working out with him and playing "medicine ball volleyball" as a part of their training with Deebo.

I dont think anybody was gonna jerk around, or not work hard in his presence and not get the death stare.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I think Deebo lead by example. A guy with that work ethic and no nonsense, laser focus is somebody that younger guys will follow. I seem to recall a bunch of the young LB's working out with him and playing "medicine ball volleyball" as a part of their training with Deebo.

I dont think anybody was gonna jerk around, or not work hard in his presence and not get the death stare.
    He led by example and his presence was there and the defense clearly had a "mean" attitude when he was there. Not sure if the overall numbers improved, I think the turnover numbers did, but there was definitely a presence there and a return of an angry defense.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He led by example and his presence was there and the defense clearly had a "mean" attitude when he was there. Not sure if the overall numbers improved, I think the turnover numbers did, but there was definitely a presence there and a return of an angry defense.
    A guy like that that plays nasty, instills an attitude to be physical. Its the same as Hines Ward being a "tough guy" as a WR and that physical style of Steeler offense with guys like Bettis.

That is partially why I hate when the run game is totally abandoned....O linemen get a chance to be the Hammer in the run game, but are instead the Nail in pass protection. If you run the football more, you give your O line a chance to be physical and your offense a chance to play physically. Its why I think we will see a Saints/Patriots Super Bowl, because they will both punch their respective opponents in the mouth

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    A guy like that that plays nasty, instills an attitude to be physical. Its the same as Hines Ward being a "tough guy" as a WR and that physical style of Steeler offense with guys like Bettis.

That is partially why I hate when the run game is totally abandoned....O linemen get a chance to be the Hammer in the run game, but are instead the Nail in pass protection. If you run the football more, you give your O line a chance to be physical and your offense a chance to play physically. Its why I think we will see a Saints/Patriots Super Bowl, because they will both punch their respective opponents in the mouth
    To your point of punching the opponent in the mouth, so did the Rams and so did the chiefs (more so when they had Hunt). All four teams were in the Top-10 in rushing. The Chiefs have since fallen out since the release of Hunt but it furthers your argument that the run game is still VERY important in today’s passing age...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I thought that it was here, but it must have been in a similar thread

Anyway, someone mentioned how the “four best coaches in the NFL” are playing this upcoming weekend.

BELICHICK:
    I will give you Belichick every time. He’s a cheater, which I loathe... especially because he doesn’t need to cheat in order to excel. Regardless, he’s a great coach.

PAYTON:
    Has missed the playoffs in 4 of the last 7 seasons... with the best (IMO) QB in the NFL.

REID:
    1-4 with the Chiefs in the playoffs.

McVAY:
    He’s the only one worthy of duscussion (which is probably why Shoes started this thread).

Okay... carry on.
    They may not be the coaches with the 4 best track records, but definitely the 4 teams are there largely because of the coaches (and not just head coaches, but coordinators as well).

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    They may not be the coaches with the 4 best track records, but definitely the 4 teams are there largely because of the coaches (and not just head coaches, but coordinators as well).
    Sooo... a completely subjective measure. Got it.