Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown trade suitors could be led by Broncos

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Antonio Brown trade suitors could be led by Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    Teegre, what would your thoughts be on JJ Watt and a second for AB? Instantly have one of the best D lines in the league.
    Good question

Firstly, I’m not sure that the Texans would be open to trading a pillar of their community. Peterson has stated that he wanted out of Arizona. Ramsey has stated that he wants out of Jacksonville. But, Watt loves Houston.

Now, let’s say they want to give Watson two #1 targets (imagine trying to cover both AB and Hopkins)... I would take that trade in a heartbeat. I might even just take Watt straight up.

That said, I’m not sure where Watt fits in. There are X’s & O’s to consider, and I’m not a 3- technique vs. 5-techniques expert. But, I’m sure that any DC would love to have Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, and Watt as his D-line. Again, I’m not sure if that works technique-wise... but, Heyward has played DE & NT, and thus, he seems like he’d be able to play DT.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Good question

Firstly, I’m not sure that the Texans would be open to trading a pillar of their community. Peterson has stated that he wanted out of Arizona. Ramsey has stated that he wants out of Jacksonville. But, Watt loves Houston.

Now, let’s say they want to give Watson two #1 targets (imagine trying to cover both AB and Hopkins)... I would take that trade in a heartbeat. I might even just take Watt straight up.

That said, I’m not sure where Watt fits in. There are X’s & O’s to consider, and I’m not a 3- technique vs. 5-techniques expert. But, I’m sure that any DC would love to have Heyward, Tuitt, Hargrave, and Watt as his D-line. Again, I’m not sure if that works technique-wise... but, Heyward has played DE & NT, and thus, he seems like he’d be able to play DT.
    JJ would take TJ's OLB spot and TJ would become your joker ILB. OR JJ takes Dupree's OLB spot and Dupree becomes your joker ILB. I would do this trade tomorrow.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    JJ would take TJ's OLB spot and TJ would become your joker ILB. OR JJ takes Dupree's OLB spot and Dupree becomes your joker ILB. I would do this trade tomorrow.
    Bookend Watts. #chills

Now... to call Deshaun Watson (who will call the owner) to convince him that he needs a pair of #1 WRs.

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

Go to a 4-3 with JJ and Stephon as ends and Cam and Javon as DT. LB are TJ , Vince and Fort. Save 9mil by not picking up Dupree and look to draft a more athletic type DE in the draft to rotate. Thought of JJ and Cam coming after Brady makes me smile.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Go to a 4-3 with JJ and Stephon as ends and Cam and Javon as DT. LB are TJ , Vince and Fort. Save 9mil by not picking up Dupree and look to draft a more athletic type DE in the draft to rotate. Thought of JJ and Cam coming after Brady makes me smile.
    That LB corps would get eaten alive. But the front would be something to see.

Who would you play at LB?

- - - Updated - - -

This is base 4-3. Sub packages involving extra DB’s would obviously still be used.

Or, use something similar to the Chargers’ defense (against the Ravens):

4 D-linemen
    1 LB*
    6 DBs

*TJ Watt

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Who would you play at LB?

- - - Updated - - -

This is base 4-3. Sub packages involving extra DB’s would obviously still be used.
    If they switched to a 4-3 you would need TJ Watt and some LBs that are not currently on the roster. I do not believe that VW, Fort, Bostic, Matakevich, or Chickillo would have success in a 4-3.

VW and Bostic might be okay as 2 down MLBs but teams would likely just hunt them in pass coverages. Fort is just not good enough at any one thing to hold up as a starter.

The rest are just poor scheme fits.

It might be worth it if Watt is still Watt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If they switched to a 4-3 you would need TJ Watt and some LBs that are not currently on the roster. I do not believe that VW, Fort, Bostic, Matakevich, or Chickillo would have success in a 4-3.

VW and Bostic might be okay as 2 down MLBs but teams would likely just hunt them in pass coverages. Fort is just not good enough at any one thing to hold up as a starter.

The rest are just poor scheme fits.

It might be worth it if Watt is still Watt.
    The thing is... we really only have TJ, and thus, we sort of need to acquire two (or three) LBs anyway.

Fort is actually perfect to be a offside LB in a 4-3. Athletic and good in space. But I wouldn’t be upset to get Devin White or Mack Wilson in the draft.

The thing is... we really only have TJ, and thus, we sort of need to acquire two (or three) LBs anyway.
    Yeah. I said it could work. If this off season is operation find linebackers and corners that don't stink, it shouldn't matter what scheme. But if you go 4-3, you gotta cut everyone not named Watt

Fort is actually perfect to be a offside LB in a 4-3. Athletic and good in space. But I wouldn’t be upset to get Devin White or Mack Wilson in the draft.
    I promise you that a team that starts Fort will not win many games.

But if you go 4-3, you gotta cut everyone not named Watt
    Might not be such a bad thing.

Might not be such a bad thing.
    You all are talking me into it.

I agree we need upgrades at lib and cb. But how much stink would that from four cover up? Can always dream.

I agree we need upgrades at lib and cb. But how much stink would that from four cover up? Can always dream.
    Exactly

You give me that D-line and then acquire two LBs with our first two picks... we might be fine with Sensabaugh at CB.

(The front seven would mask the deficiencies of the secondary.)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Still get the 2 LBs early in the draft. Keep your DL and OLBs in what is basically a 5 man front. Every OL has to account for a man which means no double teams. 1 on 1 matchups allows for Hilton/VW/Bostic type blitzes as well as our guys will win those 1on1s about 40%-50% of the time. ILBs that can be 3 down guys is mostly what we are missing from the current lineup. Would still really like a RCB as well but I will take the 2 LBs this year.

I just worry that two years of leading the league in sacks hasn't consistently masked much of anything.

Lack of turnovers compared to the amount of sacks is the issue. They should be hand and hand.

Lack of turnovers
    That

Lack of turnovers compared to the amount of sacks is the issue. They should be hand and hand.
    Totally agree! I just think that any further improvement to the front 4/pass rush will be undermined by the inability of anyone on the backend to generate turnovers out of all that pass rush.

Could be Reggie White/Warren Sapp/Joe Greene/JJ Watt backed by TJ Watt/KJ Wright/Lawrence Taylor but if no one can get an INT or 4 -- then it still might look bad at times.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Or, use something similar to the Chargers’ defense (against the Ravens):

4 D-linemen
    1 LB*
    6 DBs

*TJ Watt
    This is the direction a few of us thought they were going when they drafted Edmunds and signed Burnett.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The Steelers actually played way more sub packages than base. Unfortunately, offensive coordinators adjusted and the brain trust running our defense didn’t. Still don’t understand how a larger change didn’t occur to the defensive coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This is the direction a few of us thought they were going when they drafted Edmunds and signed Burnett.
    Agreed. Until Burnett couldn't stay on the field and the other 5 DBs basically regressed back to highschool level play. Then it became VW was the better option in coverage.(Slight exaggeration)

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

Ya'll done lost your minds. I get that AB has six consecutive seasons under his belt of tremendous production and NO track record of injury......but he is still 31, injuries can come on at any time with anyone and are usually age related. Plus he's a Diva/cancer in the locker room forcing his way out of Pittsburgh. Couple that with the production he has had is because he's had a HOF QB forcing him the ball. Regardless of what we all think or how we all feel, these GM's aren't all stupid. They know the temperature in the locker room at Three Rivers, they're not going to give you the farm to bail you out of your cancer ridden situation that you've created.

Oakland got a 1 for Amari because he has a season of showing the league what he's capable of and he's trapped on a team with no talent. GM's weren't blaming him for his faults. More so they were trading for his talent and age. He did what he did without the benefit of an offense or QB helping him.

AB has the best of everything in Pittsburgh and now he's old.

If someone like SF, who has a QB, wants to get in on the deal then I might could see a potential for a 1 to be discussed. However, I don't see a team giving up a Watt, Ramsey, Peterson and picks that's just crazy talk. Maybe a disgrutled player like Ramsey straight up, MAYBE. Watt is a Pipe dream without or without picks. Even if they called and offered, we can't afford him.

I think it's possible that we can get a first from someone in the NFC, I don't see them trading him to an AFC team. However, I think it's more likely that we'll see a second in 2019 and a conditional in the 2020.

NOTE: We could be deep in the third round in 2020 if we manage to get a 3rd RD Comp pick for Bell too.

Either way, I think people need to get their expectations under control. What did we get for Santonio Holmes who was young and had just made a huge name for himself in the SB? Not much, a fifth I think. What did Mike Wallace make in FA? A bit but he didn't see it because without Ben he has floated around the league unable to duplicate his success. I get these players are not of AB's caliber but they were extremely talented and MUCH younger than he is now. No GM is going to mortgage their future by giving up a talented player and high round picks. maybe one or the other but not both.

This isn't Kevin Costner milking Jacksonville's rookie GM.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This defense needs playmakers. They need secondary players that can cover but also come with ball skills to create turnovers. They also need someone besides Watt that forces fumbles. Stripping the football needs to become part of the defensive culture and something that is preached and practiced. It can be an acquired skill to a certain degree.

They need speed and athleticism at ILB to fill the huge void created since Ryan Shazier went down. I still have wet dreams thinking about Watt and Shazier on the field at the same time at the height of their powers...…...sigh.

An upgrade over Dupree would be nice, but they have been pretty effective at rushing the quarterback with him in there.

If they can get Patrick Peterson or Jaylen Ramsey......yes please.

JJ Watt would be great, but if it takes TJ out of a prominent pass rushing role, I don't know that you are maximizing his talents. He is a physical freak, and could probably be a problem for offenses almost anywhere on the front 7 with his instincts, athleticism, football IQ, and motor.

My preference would probably be to get their hands on an elite cover corner. It would give them a shut down corner opposite Haden, and allow them to have their best CB play straight up without help most of the time and free up the other secondary players to double team more, play bracket coverage, and simply have more of an advantage in numbers to take away weapons in coverage. If they got Peterson or Ramsey, they can take the #2 WR all game, and then double the offense's #1 WR if they have an elite player at the position. It changes the way you are able to handle offenses and even gives you advantages stopping the running game because you win the numbers game needing less players to hold up in coverage or you can play press man and it frees up defenders near the LOS.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I promise you that a team that starts Fort will not win many games.
    But what if that team uses Vince Williams to cover their #1 receiving threat??

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Or LJ Fort in the same fashion...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Already been covered at length. That isn't a winning strategy either. Especially when you choose to do that and still only rush 4-5!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Or LJ Fort in the same fashion...
    Yeah, covering a teams best receiver with your special teamer ILB probably isn't good either.