Thread: Merril Hoge: Brainwashed

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Merril Hoge: Brainwashed

I was in my car yesterday listening to NFL radio. Merril Hoge was on talking about his new book as well as the AB situation. He says he has combed all the real scientific studies and not one comes to the conclusion that concussions cause CTE. He said that CTE is found in people that have never played contact sports, and never had a concussion or head trauma. I'm sure it will spark plenty of controversy.

The outcry surrounding CTE is missing something critical: the science to justify it.

When post-concussion syndrome forced star NFL running back Merril Hoge into early retirement in 1994, research on football-related head injuries wasn’t a priority. At the time, football was heavily influenced by a tough guy culture, and little was known about concussions and their potentially dangerous effects.
    Then the tragic death of Hoge’s ex-teammate Mike Webster in 2002 launched a wave of fear after an autopsy determined he suffered from an obscure brain disease—chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). The media pounced. Concern over player safety soon became a war on football at every level, with one scientist even declaring youth football “child abuse.”
    In an effort to set the record straight, Hoge and board-certified forensic neuropathologist Dr. Peter Cummings explore the hidden agendas and misinformation fueling the CTE hysteria machine. Armed with extensive research, critical insight, and expert interviews, they address some of the common myths surrounding the disease, examining significant flaws in the often-cited studies and exposing the sensationalistic reporting that dominates today’s CTE dialogue.
    Compelling, accessible, and ultimately revelatory, Brainwashed exposes the biases and unsubstantiated claims crippling true scientific advancement in the area of CTE research. This is a must-read for anyone who cares about the future of youth sports and the survival of our nation’s most beloved game.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bra...e/1129445818#/

- - - Updated - - -

Brainwashed is a must-read for any parent who has a young kid who wants to play football or is playing football already. Having two young boys who are already talking about playing football, we are always trying to gain knowledge and educate ourselves on the head issues involving football. Merril really opened our eyes to the truth of head injuries and CTE.
    As a professional football player, combined with my wife’s medical background as a physician assistant, we realize there is still so much unknown in the realm of head injuries and concussions. We both feel more educated after reading Merril’s book.”
    — Ben Roethlisberger and Ashley Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Merril Hoge: Brainwashed

The book is mostly garbage. It has one or two ideal points and the rest is just pages and pages of not understanding science or intentionally choosing to be stupid.

The good points are that the media reports about CTE and brain injuries are almost universally as nonsensical as this book. Shockingly enough when sportswriters and Twitter take havers attempt to communicate about complex and nuanced cutting edge scientific research, they get it horribly wrong. The other major point is that pot would help players not be as messed up. Weird that the NFL doesnt want to talk about that...

Here are some good reviews and comparisons between the science and the book:

https://deadspin.com/merril-hoge-doesnt-want-you-to-use-your-brain-18299495

https://deadspin.com/merril-hoges-bo...nee-1830773301

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Merril Hoge: Brainwashed

The book sounds interesting. I have a general distrust of the medical community and I suspect that much of the information put forth in the book is spot-on.