Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

  1. #31
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post



    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  2. #32
    Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucyrus, OH
    Gender
    Posts
    2,296

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Maybe we FINALLY have someone on staff that can scout and develop DBs. One can hope.

    Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

  3. #33
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    31,510

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Yes we want to do all we can to hold on to Butler!
    Dumb and Dumber.




  4. #34
    Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,693

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    I totally don’t understand the downside to this hire. Is it just because it gives us the OPTION of firing Butler in-season, should circumstances warrant an in-season firing?

    Because if we didn’t hire this guy as a second DB coach, we’d then be FORCED to not fire Butler should circumstances warrant it?

    Seriously, am I missing something?

    Or is the argument that we should fire Butler now, and this hiring just REMINDS us that we aren’t doing that?

    I mean, I don’t even know if this guy is a bad DC. All I know is that Marvin Lewis chose to fire him rather than fire himself. That’s literally all I’m understanding from this thread... except that the guy was actually a very good DB coach when he was with Detroit.

    I’m just not really sure how hiring the dude made our defense worse.

    I mean it’s TOTALLY possible that this is a bad hire. I just still haven’t heard why.

  5. #35
    Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has much to be proud of"> NCSteeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Triadl NC
    Gender
    Posts
    3,979

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    They basically said they want to play more DBs and less LBs so it makes sense to roll with out a Porter replacement and add a guy to focus on a part of the DB game. What I never understand in the NFL. Is basically an open budget why not have lots of coaches

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

  6. #36
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,566

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodSteel View Post
    I totally don’t understand the downside to this hire. Is it just because it gives us the OPTION of firing Butler in-season, should circumstances warrant an in-season firing?

    Because if we didn’t hire this guy as a second DB coach, we’d then be FORCED to not fire Butler should circumstances warrant it?

    Seriously, am I missing something?

    Or is the argument that we should fire Butler now, and this hiring just REMINDS us that we aren’t doing that?

    I mean, I don’t even know if this guy is a bad DC. All I know is that Marvin Lewis chose to fire him rather than fire himself. That’s literally all I’m understanding from this thread... except that the guy was actually a very good DB coach when he was with Detroit.

    I’m just not really sure how hiring the dude made our defense worse.

    I mean it’s TOTALLY possible that this is a bad hire. I just still haven’t heard why.
    He actually was the DC in Detroit, not a DB coach. His defense was top 5 his first season and that Detroit defense ranked #3 in takeaways. There were some concerns his last seasons, but was considered to be one of the up and coming defensive minds in the game in 2017.

    Austin was DB coach of 3 different teams that went to the Super Bowl and coached a lot of good Db's, so I agree its a good addition to the staff. Fact that he has DC experience gives the Steelers a chance to give him an on the job interview and possibly have him replace Butler at the end of 2019, if not sooner.

    I agree, hiring him makes the defense better, not worse.

  7. #37
    NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    31,510

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Let's see what he can do with Artie Burns.
    The ultimate test!! If he’s that good of a DB Coach...should be now problem right? lol.




  8. #38
    Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    8,798

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The ultimate test!! If he’s that good of a DB Coach...should be now problem right? lol.
    At least it’s a huge ball of clay (from which to work).

    Burns has everything he needs in order to be successful... except for a) coaching, and more importantly b) confidence.

  9. #39
    ® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,671

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If Burns can somehow get back to where he was at the end of the 2017 season. He regressed mightily in 2018. Don't know why so hopefully there is still something there. Otherwise Burns replaces Jarvis as the biggest draft bust, IMO.
    Burns wasn't good at the end of the 2107 season either. Burns is a horrible player. That's all there is to it. Fans here kept clinging to Jarvis Jones too.
    Hater = Realist

  10. #40
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,566

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    At least it’s a huge ball of clay (from which to work).

    Burns has everything he needs in order to be successful... except for a) coaching, and more importantly b) confidence.
    I'm gonna disagree here. Burns is a dried up ball of clay. He never learned any decent technique and has not shown any sense of being able to recognize offensive concepts that he is to defend. He still is an Opposing QB's dream matchup, because he bites hard on double moves or is confused by his coverage responsibility in flooded zones.

    Burns might find a spot on the NFL as a sub package corner playing man coverage in the slot, but he is pretty much washing out of the NFL right now.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Gender
    Posts
    5,814

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'm gonna disagree here. Burns is a dried up ball of clay. He never learned any decent technique and has not shown any sense of being able to recognize offensive concepts that he is to defend. He still is an Opposing QB's dream matchup, because he bites hard on double moves or is confused by his coverage responsibility in flooded zones.

    Burns might find a spot on the NFL as a sub package corner playing man coverage in the slot, but he is pretty much washing out of the NFL right now.
    A man coverage slot CB you say? That may very well be where Burns can excel and make a career. Unfortunately he has shown he is too football dumb to play any type of zone. So I don't think he will make that career here.

  12. #42
    Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,566

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    A man coverage slot CB you say? That may very well be where Burns can excel and make a career. Unfortunately he has shown he is too football dumb to play any type of zone. So I don't think he will make that career here.
    I agree. I think somebody will give him another shot after the Steelers, but more likely any career he might have could be in the CFL or XFL if they bring that back.

  13. #43
    Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Burns is a head case. You won't hear his name again once he leaves Pitt.
    "The first principle is that you must not fool yourself--and you are
    the easiest person to fool."

    --Richard Feynmann

  14. #44
    Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Gender
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Steelers Hire Former Bengals Defensive Coordinator

    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I'm gonna disagree here. Burns is a dried up ball of clay. He never learned any decent technique and has not shown any sense of being able to recognize offensive concepts that he is to defend. He still is an Opposing QB's dream matchup, because he bites hard on double moves or is confused by his coverage responsibility in flooded zones.

    Burns might find a spot on the NFL as a sub package corner playing man coverage in the slot, but he is pretty much washing out of the NFL right now.
    He needs more than just to learn zone. He doesn't ever turn around and play the ball which will get him flagged for PI a lot like he has been

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •