Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers - Pin-pointing where the DRAMA came from.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

The Steelers - Pin-pointing where the DRAMA came from.

How did we become the most dramatic team in NFL History? Admit it. We are all asking our selves "when did this start??" Sometime you need to look back in time to explain what is happening now.

Lets take a look at a quick timeline.

2004 Season
    - Ben gets drafted, Goes on 15 game win streak. Becomes KING of Pittsburgh over night.
    2005 Season
    - Ben wins his first super bowl on the Bus's last ride and one of the greatest Defenses we ever had.
    2006 OFF Season
    - Ben feels invincible and gets into a motorcycle accident.
    2008 Season
    - Superbowl champs. Mike Tomlins 2nd Year Youngest Coach to do so . Deemed a Players Coach .
    - At this moment in Steelers timeline , IMO Ben still was not "THE Leader" of this team.

*This is the moment I feel it went the wrong way*

2009- Off Season

- Ben gets accused of sexual assault in Lake Tahoe
    2010 OFF Season
    - Ben is accused again of sexual assault in Millegeville GA.
    - Antonio Brown and Emmanual Sanders is drafted. Born into a dramatic Culture.
    - Young Money Crew is born and short lived. But the culture lived on.

2010 Season

- Ben is suspended 4 games and he goes 3-1 with out him. Kudos to Tomlin here.
    - Steelers duck the Patriots (luckily) and make it to the Superbowl lose to Packers.
    - Reports say Ben is out partying before Superbowl. Dumb move since everyone hates him at this point in time
    2011 Season
    -
    Tebow mania erupts on the Steelers. The world is introduced to Demerious Thomas.
    - Steelers get caught going through the motions looking ahead to the Pats. Forget to play this day.
    - The great defense is starting to age.
    - Social media starting to become a huge factor in Pro Sports.
    2013 Off Season- Leveon Bell is drafted. Antonio Brown is Team MVP and made Pro Bowl as WR 1st time.
    - At this moment in time Antonio Brown is heating up.
    - James Harrison is a Bengal.
    - Ben is starting to to Grow up. Married and a new born. ( Might be too late though)
    2014-NOW ( I call this Tomlin losing the locker room era)
    -2015- Bell busted for weed with Blount.
    - 2017 - James Harrison trashes coaches has sense of entitlement. Cut and then signed by the Patriots.
    - A cluster of play off appearances and early exits.
    -Ben now after 10 years wants to play leader.

Summation:
    We all love to point figures at Tomlin(my self included) although we always give Big Ben a pass. Ben is a major reason of the drama we have today.Also, the way that Tomlin handles Ben. In my opinion Tomlin came in a great situation with a great team and has given Ben driving privileges with the metaphorical car that is the team. Although Ben has not been quite a great leader for the most part of his career. Great player, great heroics on field, but culture establishment not so much. Tomlin should have been the culture king not Ben, I sense sometimes he is afraid of Ben.

In my opinion the Drama we have today is 50/50 split because of Ben and Tomlin.

Let me know what you all think.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: The Steelers - Pin-pointing where the DRAMA came from.

- Social media starting to become a huge factor in Pro Sports.
    I'd say this is the point.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I think without Roethlisberger we're still sitting at 4 Lombardis and are rapidly approaching a 40-year SB drought.

I also think all the "drama" bullshit is massively overblown and much ado about nothing. At the end of the day, these are grown men making hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars per year, not a bunch of high school kids. I'm not "pals" with everyone I work with either.

EDIT
    Steelers duck the Patriots (luckily) and make it to the Superbowl lose to Packers.
    And one other thing - exactly how did they "duck" the Patriots? They came back from a 21-7 deficit to beat the Ravens to move on to the 2010 AFCCG while the Patriots choked at home against Butt Fumble and the Jets.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I agree. Domineering, too quick to call out teammates, and of course the coaches and maybe the FO appear to be ceding too much control to him. Hell he had too much control over the play-calling, leading to the team abandoning the run when the run was working and it hurt the team and cost at least one game.

Of course don't tell this to some people. He's the reason the main reason the team has 6 Super Bowls instead of 4 now and is far and away the best QB the team has had since Bradshaw and because of this, some people believe he should be immune to any and all criticism

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I agree. Domineering, too quick to call out teammates, and of course the coaches and maybe the FO appear to be ceding too much control to him. Hell he had too much control over the play-calling, leading to the team abandoning the run when the run was working and it hurt the team and cost at least one game.

Of course don't tell this to some people. He's the reason the main reason the team has 6 Super Bowls instead of 4 now and is far and away the best QB the team has had since Bradshaw and because of this, some people believe he should be immune to any and all criticism
    Spoken like another fan who's too young to really remember anything before the Roethlisberger era. It's OK, you'll be getting your wish soon.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Ugh...i think I need to stay away for a few months. I probably won't but need to.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben is the double-edged sword. While it is true he was a major part of the Super Bowl teams and the Steelers don’t win them without him, Ben has been Elevated to diety status in Pittsburgh. Ben got this idea that only HE was the reason why the Steelers won, and it shot his ego through the roof. Never mind the fact that he was horrible in XL, and was only mediocre in XLIII and XLV, And was never the driving force of those Steeler teams, in the eyes of Steeler fans, Ben could do no wrong.

Back in the years on the old Fever and even this board. Whenever things went wrong for the Steelers, blame was cast on everyone else. The Coaches. The Defense, and especially the offensive coordinators. Ben was absolved of all accountability and criticism. The Pittsburgh media left him alone and blamed everyone else. Ben was untouchable, and woe be to anyone who dared to criticize him.

Fast forward to today, the old players are long gone, the offensive coordinator scapegoats are gone, and Ben is all alone as the veteran face in the locker room. We’re beginning to see all of his warts. Ben is the shotcaller, but he is not a true leader.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Spoken like another fan who's too young to really remember anything before the Roethlisberger era. It's OK, you'll be getting your wish soon.
    My point proven exactly. Criticism of Ben is not a wish for the Malone/Bubby/O Donnell/Kordell/etc era and it really is sad that someone can't criticize a player without being told "you just want shitty QB play" or something along those lines

My point proven exactly. Criticism of Ben is not a wish for the Malone/Bubby/O Donnell/Kordell/etc era and it really is sad that someone can't criticize a player without being told "you just want shitty QB play" or something along those lines
    What "point?" Everything's Roethlisberger's fault? Sorry to disagree.

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

dont forget also in 2008 and 2009 during Ben's troubles / fame was Holmes troubles / fame. One had to go after 2009 and it end up being Holmes but he was the original "bell" before bell risk / reward
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

every man in that locker room needs to take a long look in the mirror as they all had a hand in what the 2018 season became , players and coaches alike .
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Ben is the double-edged sword. While it is true he was a major part of the Super Bowl teams and the Steelers don’t win them without him, Ben has been Elevated to diety status in Pittsburgh. Ben got this idea that only HE was the reason why the Steelers won, and it shot his ego through the roof. Never mind the fact that he was horrible in XL, and was only mediocre in XLIII and XLV, And was never the driving force of those Steeler teams, in the eyes of Steeler fans, Ben could do no wrong.

Back in the years on the old Fever and even this board. Whenever things went wrong for the Steelers, blame was cast on everyone else. The Coaches. The Defense, and especially the offensive coordinators. Ben was absolved of all accountability and criticism. The Pittsburgh media left him alone and blamed everyone else. Ben was untouchable, and woe be to anyone who dared to criticize him.

Fast forward to today, the old players are long gone, the offensive coordinator scapegoats are gone, and Ben is all alone as the veteran face in the locker room. We’re beginning to see all of his warts. Ben is the shotcaller, but he is not a true leader.
    Where do you come up with Ben got the idea that only HE was the reason the Steelers won?

He was horrible in XL but he was pretty spectacular in Denver, Indy and not bad in Cincy to get us to XL. Never the driving force? He did a damn good job of driving the team to countless come from behind wins against teams like Baltimore and Dallas and had a damn memorable drive in 43 after the 1st play the o-line took a penalty. And as far as credit goes he gave credit to his horrible o-line after 43.

Ben has been criticized his entire career from the media, never has he been given much credit for what he does right only what he does wrong. Never mentioned with the top tier QBs just a step below them. Hell even Eli got more credit than Ben.

I have no problem with Ben being the leader of this team.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I think without Roethlisberger we're still sitting at 4 Lombardis and are rapidly approaching a 40-year SB drought.

I also think all the "drama" bullshit is massively overblown and much ado about nothing. At the end of the day, these are grown men making hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars per year, not a bunch of high school kids. I'm not "pals" with everyone I work with either.

EDIT

And one other thing - exactly how did they "duck" the Patriots? They came back from a 21-7 deficit to beat the Ravens to move on to the 2010 AFCCG while the Patriots choked at home against Butt Fumble and the Jets.
    We lucked out by not playing the Patriots that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    We lucked out by not playing the Patriots that year.
    So what. The Pats* lucked out every time they didn't have to play the Ravens in the playoffs because the Ravens had their number. The Ravens luck out every time they don't have to play the Steelers in the playoffs because the only time they've beat us in the playoffs is when we were down a few people to injuries and weren't going anywhere that year because of it. I can go on, but that really doesn't make any sense. Every team has a nemesis that seems to have their number.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    So what. The Pats* lucked out every time they didn't have to play the Ravens in the playoffs because the Ravens had their number. The Ravens luck out every time they don't have to play the Steelers in the playoffs because the only time they've beat us in the playoffs is when we were down a few people to injuries and weren't going anywhere that year because of it. I can go on, but that really doesn't make any sense. Every team has a nemesis that seems to have their number.
    Just answering a question directed towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Where do you come up with Ben got the idea that only HE was the reason the Steelers won?

He was horrible in XL but he was pretty spectacular in Denver, Indy and not bad in Cincy to get us to XL. Never the driving force? He did a damn good job of driving the team to countless come from behind wins against teams like Baltimore and Dallas and had a damn memorable drive in 43 after the 1st play the o-line took a penalty. And as far as credit goes he gave credit to his horrible o-line after 43.

Ben has been criticized his entire career from the media, never has he been given much credit for what he does right only what he does wrong. Never mentioned with the top tier QBs just a step below them. Hell even Eli got more credit than Ben.

I have no problem with Ben being the leader of this team.
    Ben is phenomenal and we are so spoiled to have him, and the run we have had for the past 15 years have been great compared to majority of the NFL.

When I say leading I mean leading the culture and focus of the locker room. This is where he lacked in leadership. Super early success inflated his ego tremendously. We are now currently hating on Bell and Antonio brown for some of the same reasons Ben did early in his career. Getting himself in trouble with the law. Seen out partying the night before the superbowl. Carelessly driving motor vehicles . Just a few examples of similarities to present day Bell and Brown.

Not until around 2013-2014 when he got married and had a kid did his characteristics start to change. Imagine if we he had the same demeanor when we enter the league. It is almost like he is trying to demand focus and culture now in the end of his career. Imaging if he were an established leader like a Peyton, Brees, dare I say Brady(That hurt me too). If he had the same focus and demeanor back in 2004 , I think this team would have won 2 more SBs .

He was horrible in XL but he was pretty spectacular in Denver, Indy and not bad in Cincy to get us to XL. Never the driving force?
    In 2005, the Steelers had the reputation of "Cowher Power" and smashmouth football. Teams geared up to stop the Bettis/Parker combo. It was because of this reputation and balanced offense that Ben was able to thrive. Ben caught teams by surprise that postseason by throwing the football. There was even a common stat trend during those days that Ben only threw the ball 15-20 times a game. This wasn't some kind of air circus the Steelers put on to get to the Super Bowl. Ben wasn't the engine that drove the team, but he was still a major part of it.

He did a damn good job of driving the team to countless come from behind wins against teams like Baltimore and Dallas and had a damn memorable drive in 43 after the 1st play the o-line took a penalty. And as far as credit goes he gave credit to his horrible o-line after 43.
    After the Defense pretty much held Baltimore and Dallas in check for 50 minutes. Super Bowl 43 was Santonio Holmes. All Ben had to do was find him. As unfair as it is to Ben, but it was Santonio's catch that people remember, not Ben's throw. And as I mentioned, Ben was mostly mediocre in XLIII outside of that one drive and was thoroughly outplayed by Warner.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

In 2005, the Steelers had the reputation of "Cowher Power" and smashmouth football. Teams geared up to stop the Bettis/Parker combo. It was because of this reputation and balanced offense that Ben was able to thrive. Ben caught teams by surprise that postseason by throwing the football. There was even a common stat trend during those days that Ben only threw the ball 15-20 times a game. This wasn't some kind of air circus the Steelers put on to get to the Super Bowl. Ben wasn't the engine that drove the team, but he was still a major part of it.

After the Defense pretty much held Baltimore and Dallas in check for 50 minutes. Super Bowl 43 was Santonio Holmes. All Ben had to do was find him. As unfair as it is to Ben, but it was Santonio's catch that people remember, not Ben's throw. And as I mentioned, Ben was mostly mediocre in XLIII outside of that one drive and was thoroughly outplayed by Warner.
    That last paragraph is laughable. "All Ben had to do was find him"!?!?...hahahahahaha!!!...lay off the dope...dope

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    every man in that locker room needs to take a long look in the mirror as they all had a hand in what the 2018 season became , players and coaches alike .
    They really do need a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I'd say this is the point.
    I think the locker room respect for the coach and each other took the biggest hit when AB was facebooking/snapchatting/instagramming/tindering/whatever the hell else there is/ while the head coach was addressing the team.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Yeah teams may have geared up to stop the run game the 1st time they saw Ben but they knew they had to stop him the next time they played him. Also it's not about how many times he threw it's about what happened when he did. In his rookie year when we played the cowboys his scrambling and passing is what won the game. That very well may have been his 1st ever come from behind in the 4th quarter to win the game. I will never forget his 1st 5 TD game when he shrugged off the attempted tackle by Bart Scott and threw a TD. That was what made Ben stand out from any other QB. His ability to not only escape but to make a big play after he got away. His one great pass in 40 was after he escaped a possible sack and threw one up to Hines.BTW while the D may have kept the games close we would not have won if Tommy Gun was the QB.

43 was about a lot more things than just the catchs. Harrison, Holmes and Ben to say otherwise is revisionist history. Ben's pump fake was key to getting us deep into cards territory and his pass to win it was perfectly thrown. Just over the defenders reach and just where Holmes could catch it. Santonio made a helluva catch but it's nothing without the throw being right where it needed to be. Yeah Ben was so thoroughly out played by Warner, well besides the game winning drive and that pick that he threw before the 1/2, but what ever you say

Ben is not the only reason we won, but he was the key piece that was missing from the team being good to the team being great.

It's ok that you hate Ben, but you don't have to try to make shit up.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

WOW! Just finished reading “asked and answered”. For those who think there was a lot of drama in 2018, wait til you read about 1977. 2018 was nothing compared to that year. Just no social media back then.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    WOW! Just finished reading “asked and answered”. For those who think there was a lot of drama in 2018, wait til you read about 1977. 2018 was nothing compared to that year. Just no social media back then.
    Yep. Alot of drama that (pre) season. Alot.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-jan-8

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Summation:
    We all love to point figures at Tomlin(my self included) although we always give Big Ben a pass. Ben is a major reason of the drama we have today.Also, the way that Tomlin handles Ben. In my opinion Tomlin came in a great situation with a great team and has given Ben driving privileges with the metaphorical car that is the team. Although Ben has not been quite a great leader for the most part of his career. Great player, great heroics on field, but culture establishment not so much. Tomlin should have been the culture king not Ben, I sense sometimes he is afraid of Ben.

In my opinion the Drama we have today is 50/50 split because of Ben and Tomlin.

Let me know what you all think.
    I'm pretty sure that Ben doesn't always get a pass around here, and deservedly so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    That last paragraph is laughable. "All Ben had to do was find him"!?!?...hahahahahaha!!!...lay off the dope...dope
    Yeah that was one of the best passes in NFL history.

Ben is not the only reason we won, but he was the key piece that was missing from the team being good to the team being great.
    Thank you for re-iterating what I've already said.

Ben threw seven passes on the final drive. Five of them went to Holmes, with four catches, including the final touchdown.

But I should just cut down on the daily 4:20 periods.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Lol @ this thread.

Outside of the Patriots I bet there are 30 other set of fans that would love to have the Steelers "problems" that has lead us to 3 Superbowls and two wins.

Granted I'm frustrated on what could have been over the last 10 years but ask a Jets or Browns fan if they would trade places.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Lol @ this thread.

Outside of the Patriots I bet there are 30 other set of fans that would love to have the Steelers "problems" that has lead us to 3 Superbowls and two wins.

Granted I'm frustrated on what could have been over the last 10 years but ask a Jets or Browns fan if they would trade places.
    I understand what you're saying. It's one thing to suck, its another to underachieve and have the tease of something great, but not live up to that potential. IF anything, people not expressing frustration are taking this team for granted, as if Ben will play forever, Brown will be here forever, and it's guaranteed the Steelers will be in the mix come the next decade. Dark Days may come (or not), and it will make all the missed opportunities of the 2010's all the more painful.

If the Steelers were a crappy team lacking talent, it would be hard to watch, but it would be understandable. But here we are seeing a immensely talented team with nothing to show for. BTW, The Steelers have won as many playoff games as the Jets and Browns over the past two seasons (0).

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

I totally agree with you here. We went 26 years without a Superbowl. Ben shows up and helps put us over the top with 2 Superbowls in 2005 & 2008. We appreciate his contribution, but that doesn’t mean he is without criticism. That doesn’t mean that we want to go back to the days of Brister, Kordell and etc.

Anytime he is criticized, comments come back to 3 Superbowl appearances and 2 Superbowl wins. Of course we appreciate that but it doesn’t make him untouchable. What does any of that have to do with the state of the franchise TODAY?

Ben is a big part of the Steelers winning 9 games this season. He is just as responsible as other players, coaches and factors on this team as to why they are not in the playoffs. It’s impossible to lead the league with 16 picks this season and it not cost the team.

The season opener vs Cleveland he threw 4 picks and 1 fumble. That is 5 turnovers he accounted for in a 21-21 tie. In just that game alone right there, if he doesn’t do that, they are 10-6 instead of 9-6-1 and in the playoffs.

You can’t take 16 picks and come up with an excuse for each one on how it wasn’t Ben’s fault. Maybe 5 of them, but not 16. The point is that people need to admit that Ben cost them as well this year and stop giving him a pass comparing his career achievements to the Steelers lean years without Championships.
    Last edited by StillCurtains; 01-08-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Thank you for re-iterating what I've already said.

Ben threw seven passes on the final drive. Five of them went to Holmes, with four catches, including the final touchdown.

But I should just cut down on the daily 4:20 periods.
    LOL Glad I made your day, even though you are mostly wrong on your assessment of Ben. Even a clock that doesn't work is right 2ce a day.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Ben doesn't always get a pass around here, and deservedly so.

- - - Updated - - -

It was actually two of the best passes in NFL history. Mr MVP let the first one slip through his hands