Thread: Predicting the future of the Steelers 2019 Unrestricted Free Agents

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Predicting the future of the Steelers 2019 Unrestricted Free Agents

The Pittsburgh Steelers offseason is officially upon us, and the one thing everyone tries to predict and speculate is the future of the franchise. Whether it be coaching positions being filled/vacated, or the decisions made by the scouting department in the 2019 NFL Draft. Either way, some tough decisions will be made this offseason.
    For me, none will be more difficult than the decisions the team will have to make with their Unrestricted Free Agents. Some decisions might be obvious, while others will have some serious significance with the roster heading into next season.
    Therefore, I am going to go down the complete list of Steelers Unrestricted Free Agents and give my prediction of whether they stay, or go, and a brief reason why. Feel free to let me know what you think of my decisions, and post your own list in the comment section below!

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...mon-foster-nfl

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Predicting the future of the Steelers 2019 Unrestricted Free Agents

I think Foster stays. I may be the only one but he seems content and his comment about “putting in his 10 and getting out” tells me he’s staying on a 2 year deal. Big Ragu isn’t about grabbing as much cash as he is about family.

Alualu, Rogers, Fort, and Sensabaugh are also guys I think will be Steelers.
    Alualu. Why not. Quality backup and not expensive.

Fort. Until we get someone better to pair with VW it is Fort.

Sensabaugh. Another inexpensive quality backup.

Rogers. I just like this guy. Keep giving him chances.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think Foster stays. I may be the only one but he seems content and his comment about “putting in his 10 and getting out” tells me he’s staying on a 2 year deal. Big Ragu isn’t about grabbing as much cash as he is about family.

Alualu, Rogers, Fort, and Sensabaugh are also guys I think will be Steelers.
    Alualu. Why not. Quality backup and not expensive.

Fort. Until we get someone better to pair with VW it is Fort.

Sensabaugh. Another inexpensive quality backup.

Rogers. I just like this guy. Keep giving him chances.
    I really like Rogers, he has stepped up and made some big plays for the Steelers. I was impressed after not playing all year how he just picked up where he left off.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

I don’t know about calling Sensabaugh a quality backup.

Compared to Burns, yeah, he’s fine. I would hope they’re looking to upgrade there.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post

Compared to Burns, yeah, he’s fine. I would hope they’re looking to upgrade there.
    He is a quality backup and not so much as a starter. Ps. your post count scares me!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    He is a quality backup and not so much as a starter. Ps. your post count scares me!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post

I saw a stat from PFF. (It’s PFF; so, take it for what it’s worth.)

PFF was talking about number of attempts against before a completion was made. They were highlighting Ramsey, Hayward, and a few other of the top CBs from this past season... and... Sensabaugh was in the top five. It was funny, because on Twitter, the response that most people made was: “One of these things is not like the others...”

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    So, you moonlight as an exorcist on the side. Thanks for saving me.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I saw a stat from PFF. (It’s PFF; so, take it for what it’s worth.)

PFF was talking about number of attempts against before a completion was made. They were highlighting Ramsey, Hayward, and a few other of the top CBs from this past season... and... Sensabaugh was in the top five. It was funny, because on Twitter, the response that most people made was: “One of these things is not like the others...”
    No doubt. Sensabaugh really isn't as talented as any of those, but used understanding of the game and situational football, along with technique to play above his skillset. This is a big reason that I am a fan of technicians at DB and not so much of those "great athletes".

Sure the thought is that if you have a great athlete with all the measureables, that you can make him into a good CB, like Ike Taylor. The risk is that you get a guy like Burns that had all the measurable but lousy technique. Its why I still have optimism for Cam Sutton, because that kid has technique, game sense and athleticism, but I just don't know why it hasn't translated better yet, other than he is more suited to playing in the slot than on the boundary.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    No doubt. Sensabaugh really isn't as talented as any of those, but used understanding of the game and situational football, along with technique to play above his skillset. This is a big reason that I am a fan of technicians at DB and not so much of those "great athletes".

Sure the thought is that if you have a great athlete with all the measureables, that you can make him into a good CB, like Ike Taylor. The risk is that you get a guy like Burns that had all the measurable but lousy technique. Its why I still have optimism for Cam Sutton, because that kid has technique, game sense and athleticism, but I just don't know why it hasn't translated better yet, other than he is more suited to playing in the slot than on the boundary.
    Nailed it!!!

Sutton looked good in the final two games. Maybe he has a slow learning curve (and/or, a lack of good coaching). I think he’ll be a keeper (as the slot CB).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

With Haden on the outside, Hilton and Sutton playing slot, and Sensabaugh on the other outside, there is still need for 2 smart cover corners. I hope we do find one in FA. My other hope is Burns/Allen saves us a draft pick and becomes that guy but since that is a daydream, one CB has to be drafted, maybe 2.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Sensabaugh and Sutton can’t be slotted in as anything more than depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

At this point, I strongly believe that Colbert and Tomlin have to plan for both Burns and SUtton being post training camp cuts. Burns is mentally shattered and Cam Sutton cant string 3 good plays together.