Thread: BEERgods! 2019 Mock Draft V.1

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

BEERgods! 2019 Mock Draft V.1

(Trade Antonio Brown for a 2019 mid first round pick - To someone like Detroit, Green Bay, Washington etc.)

RD1 (AB TRADE) - CB - DeAndre Baker - UGA

Artie Burns hasn't panned out to be anything this team expected when they reached for him in the first round a couple years ago. Joe Haden can't hold down this entire secondary by himself and he's no spring Chicken so help is DRASTICALLY needed in this secondary.

RD1 - ILB - Mack Wilson - BAMA

Even before Ryan Shazier was lost to injury this team was platooning back ups in opposite him. So another starter was needed here anyway. I say grab a similar style player with explosive ability and if Ryan can pull off a miracle and come back your all the more better for it. If Ryan only comes back to coach then you would still need another starting caliber player to play with Wilson. This position isn't a one and down situation, just like at CB.

RD2 - WR - Riley Ridley - UGA (200 lb, 6-2, 4.4 40)

Losing AB will hurt, no one denies that but you can't let a Diva control your locker room and distract this team with so much drama. When he quit on the team, he wrote his own ticket out of town. JuJu replaced him in the pro Bowl and will replace him as the #1 WR, James Washington will hopefully continue to develop opposite him but Justin Hunter and DHB are not explosive players anymore. They're bench depth and Special Teams performers. Drafting a player like Ridley who has explosive talent, great hands, good ups, quick feet, and enough speed to stretch to the field will help Ben now and Mason in the future.

RD3 - OG - Michael Deiter - Wisconsin

Ben says it after every win, the OL is the foundation of this team and Ramon Foster has stated that he's ready to play the field this off-season. Some people are content replacing him with Finney but I'd rather go out and draft another hog molly from an OL factory like Wisconsin and give myself better odds of maintaining a top three OL for years to come.

As I stated in another thread, this team has to find a balance between winning now with Ben and building for the future behind Mason Rudolph. In order to do that you have to patch the OL as whole appear.

RD4 - OLB - Jabari Zuniga - Florida

Bud Dupree hasn't lived up to the hype of being a first round EDGE guy but he's gotten better every year and Joey Porter was just fired. So resign Bud to a 3 year mid range contract and let a new coach develop him some more while drafting another depth player to replace Anthony Chickillo, whom I think will also leave VIA FA this off-season.

RD5 - TRADED to Oakland who traded it to Buffalo

RD6 - (f/Oak) - ILB - Kendall Joseph - Clemson

As I said earlier, Ryan Shaziers injury left this team with four back ups platooning in and out of the two starting positions. Drafting Mack Wilson hopefully fills one spot but we'll still need another player to eventually replace Vince Williams at the other starting spot and replace John Bostic on the depth Chart.

RD6 - CB - Mark Gilbert - Duke (6-1, 175, 4.56)

Solid Tackler, Good hands, great ball skills, and EXTREMELY needed depth at a HUGE position of weakness for this team. Haden of course is awesome, Hilton and Sutton appear to have future potential, Sensabaugh is a decent veteran but Allen and Burns need to be challenged by these two incoming rookies. I think Baker starts Day One opposite Haden and Gilbert can fight his way on the depth chart behind Hilton and Sutton.

RD7 - (f/TB) - RB - Travon McMillan - Colorado (6-0, 200 lb, 4.57 40)

Le'Veon Bell is as good as gone, we'll see a third round comp pick for him in 2020. James Connor appears to be able to handle the load, Jaylen Samuels also looks like he has great potential but Ridley and his fumbling is a weak link. If we can get a stout back with decent speed to fill out the depth chart this late in the game, I think it's a win win for this team. A 1000 yard rusher, who can catch, he might need to learn to block but third on the depth chart won't see the field all that often in passing situations. He'll have time to learn that which he doesn't know.

RD7 - TRADED to Cleveland who traded it to Miami, who traded it to Detroit.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: BEERgods! 2019 Mock Draft V.1

I love the picks, especially DeAndre Baker (he’s my favorite CB in this draft).

That said, I would prefer that if we do indeed trade AB, we get an established player in return. Every draft pick has concerns (there is no “sure” thing); whereas, an established player is a lock to be good. Jalen Ramsey is my preference (I get that his character issues make that a pipedream), but Patrick Peterson would be my 1-a.

As I've said before I think your idea of CB Howard and the #13 from Miami would be a great combination of the two thoughts because Howard is still young enough to matter long term. Where as Ramsey is trading one cancer for another and P2 isn't young enough to matter on down the road. You'd be trading a #1 WR in the NFL for a temporary patch to a horrific situation. Peterson and Haden sounds good but for how long?

What's your ultimate goal, to win a championship next year or compete for a Ship next year and be better prepared for success into the future?

All that being said, I wouldn't mind trading AB for a 2020 RD1 pick and spending another year developing Mason and Dobbs. That way if they don't appear to be panning out, you could use both 1's to trade up for Jake Fromm in 2020. Keep in mind the team will most likely have an additional third too as compensation for Bell's departure.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BEERgods225 View Post
    As I've said before I think your idea of CB Howard and the #13 from Miami would be a great combination of the two thoughts because Howard is still young enough to matter long term. Where as Ramsey is trading one cancer for another and P2 isn't young enough to matter on down the road. You'd be trading a #1 WR in the NFL for a temporary patch to a horrific situation. Peterson and Haden sounds good but for how long?

What's your ultimate goal, to win a championship next year or compete for a Ship next year and be better prepared for success into the future?

All that being said, I wouldn't mind trading AB for a 2020 RD1 pick and spending another year developing Mason and Dobbs. That way if they don't appear to be panning out, you could use both 1's to trade up for Jake Fromm in 2020. Keep in mind the team will most likely have an additional third too as compensation for Bell's departure.
    True

Xavien Howard & Miami’s #13 overall selection (for AB) would be the logical choice. Howard is not as good as Peterson, but Howard is still verrrrry good. Plus, adding in the #13 pick allows us to get a dynamic defender (maybe Devin White will be there), or, we could trade away a R3 pick in order to move into the top ten.

If I were to trade AB for a R1 pick, I would love for it to be in 2020, when Fromm, Eason, & Herbert will be in the draft. I’m not giving up on Dobbs or Rudolph, but the 2020 QB class could be very special.

Now... with who to trade in 2020, because it is difficult to predict who will be in the top ten (let alone the top three).

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    True

Xavien Howard & Miami’s #13 overall selection (for AB) would be the logical choice. Howard is not as good as Peterson, but Howard is still verrrrry good. Plus, adding in the #13 pick allows us to get a dynamic defender (maybe Devin White will be there), or, we could trade away a R3 pick in order to move into the top ten.

If I were to trade AB for a R1 pick, I would love for it to be in 2020, when Fromm, Eason, & Herbert will be in the draft. I’m not giving up on Dobbs or Rudolph, but the 2020 QB class could be very special.

Now... with who to trade in 2020, because it is difficult to predict who will be in the top ten (let alone the top three).
    You trade for this year though, you know what pick you are getting, next year you have no idea what pick you will get

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Gilbert will likely be gone round 3-4 ..if he slides to the 6th will be the value pick of the draft IMO
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

What, no TE again... *Shoes gets sad face.

Seriously, with James probably set to leave in FA, we have even more need now going in with McDonald and Grimble as the current place holders.
    I guess unless their gambling on Hodges or the Euro-player on the practice squad. Any other depth ended the year in IR

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    What, no TE again... *Shoes gets sad face.

Seriously, with James probably set to leave in FA, we have even more need now going in with McDonald and Grimble as the current place holders.
    I guess unless their gambling on Hodges or the Euro-player on the practice squad. Any other depth ended the year in IR

A Tightend would be a nice addition to the offense but it's NO WHERE near as important as making sure that the OL stays in tact or trying to fix the defense so we can be more competitive in the future. TE is a Luxury right now, IMO.

I'm of two minds about what and when I'd like compensation for AB.

A: We already drafted Dobbs and Rudolph, with third and fourth round picks and Rudolph I actually really like. If the team is copacetic with his growth then I'd rather have a 2019 RD1 pick because this draft is stacked with defense and we're sorely in need at a few different positions. #1CB, #2CB (Future post Haden), RILB, LILB, OLB Depth, etc.

B: However should the team not be impressed with either current draft pick (Dobbs/Rudolph) then I'd rather have a 2020 pick to be able to trade up for Jake Fromm.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don’t see any way the Steelers are picking in the top 5 in the 2020 draft.

In light of a new report stating that Denver could be a top suitor and that the team shouldn't expect more than a second and third for Brown..... Lets take a look at what that could look like. Which position do you all think is the bigger need, ILB or CB? I personally think that having ZERO starters at ILB is more important whereas we have at least Joe Haden at corner. (We're not platooning four back ups at two starting spots.)

RD1 - ILB - Mack Wilson - Alabama
    Replaces Ryan Shazier

RD2 - (f/AB) - ILB - Devin Bush - Michigan
    Replaces Vince Williams (Williams, Fort, Matakavich for depth)

RD2 - WR - Riley Ridley - Georgia
    Replaces AB

RD3 - (f/AB) - CB - Damon Arnette - Ohio State
    Fights Burns for his position on team

RD3 - OG - Michael Deiter - Wisconsin
    Replaces Foster after he leaves VIA FA

RD4 - OLB - Jabari Zuniga - Florida
    Replaces Chickillo after he leaves VIA FA

RD5 - TRADED

RD6 - CB - Mark Gilbert - Duke
    Fights B.Allen and Sensabaugh for the tail end of the depth chart.

RD7 - (f/TB) - RB - Trayveon Williams (Texas A&M) or Travon McMillan (Colorado)
    Replaces Stevan Ridley on depth chart

RD7 - TRADED

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

what we can get for AB is anyone's guess .... when was the last time a player of his resume hit a trade market ?

I guess we could say K. Mack .... but defensive players normally do not bring offensive player money / returns

age will be a factor but considering production numbers are still high maybe not as much as we may think ....

attitude may hurt the value but then again clean record with the league and no prior reports until now and being billed as the hardest worker on the team will help void that ....

in a free market system where there will be many teams with interest and a cap friendly numbers for the next couple years I think it could still be a sellers market ....

Meaning we could potentially get far more than recent reports have indicated .............

we will find out in about 70ish days
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

It's been said to me on several occasions that Ramon Foster will be resigned, if for no other reason than Ben wants his OL kept together until he retires. So with that in mind, I'm taking a different look at what we could do if we didn't need a new starting RG to replace Foster this off-season.

It starts with a #15-25 pick for AB. Several teams could use his services such as Green Bay, Washington, Carolina, Tennessee, Seattle, Oakland, Philadelphia plus AB wants to find himself in San Francisco. So it's not impossible to see them getting a ONE for him in about six weeks. (Ex. Dwins thoughts about SF @ 2 and trading around a bit for more picks. or the 20 and AB for Oakland's 4 and 24.) Maybe simply a 1 for AB from Carolina/Washington/ etc.

RD1 - (AB TRADE) - CB - DeAndre Baker - Georgia (ALT CB - Byron Murphy - Washington)

It's overly apparent that Burns isn't what the coaching staff hoped he would be and he needs to be replaced. Hopefully now rather than waiting until Haden reitres and we need two starting CBs.

RD1 - ILB - Mack Wilson -Alabama

As we all know, we need two starting ILB's so that we can stop platooning four back-ups at the positions. Well Mack can run, jump, swim.....I mean cover, Hit, and Tackle from side line to side line. He's be a good choice to attempt to replace Ryan.

RD2 - WR - Riley Ridley - Alabama

With AB gone, we'll need more depth at the WR position. Juju will hopefully continue to grow and James Washington has the talent if he can live up to it but DHB and Justin Hunter are nothing more the Special Teams players. So we need to get Eli Rogers 100% healthy and let him fight for a roster spots next season.

RD3 - DE/OLB - Carl Granderson - Wyoming (ALT DE/OLB - Austin Bryant - Clemson)

Anthony Chickillo is a FA and Dupre will be playing in his fifth year option. So finding depth with potential would be a nice thing to have on the roster.

RD4 - TE - Alize Mack - Notre Dame (ALT TE - Caleb Wilson - UCLA)

6'4" 247 lbs with good speed. McDonald is talented but oft injured. Jesse James seems like a serviceable back up but Grimble hasn't proven himself the same as the couple of young guys on the practice Squad. Finding an explosive option at TE would make losing AB a little less impactful and helping Ben keep this offense dynamic.

RD5 - (TRADED to Oak then BUF)

RD6 - (f/Oak) - ILB - Khalil Hodge - Buffalo (ALT ILB - Kendall Joseph - Clemson)

As I stated earlier, we need two need starting ILB's and I think this kid here is going to be a steal in this draft. (Mark my words - 01/22/2019)

RD6 - CB - Mark Gilbert - Duke (ALT CB - Ken Webster - Ole Miss)

Brian Allen, Cam Sutton, Hilton all offer potential growth at the position but none of them are #1 or 2's. We need to keep throwing value at this position until it's fixed.

RD7 - (f/TB) - OT - Mitch Hyatt - Clemson

OL Depth: After potentially losing Gilbert this off-season because of his injury history since being violated for illegal substances, plus you don't know if Hawkins will be back healthy or not.

RD7 - (TRADED to Cle then Mia then Det)

UDFA -
    RB - Travon McMillan - Colorado
    UDFA - OG - Drew Forbes - S.E. Miss. St.
    UDFA - OC - Jon Baker - Boston College
    UDFA - DL - Trysten Hill - Central Florida
    UDFA - DL - Jaylen Dalton - North Carolina
    UDFA - LB - CeCe Jefferson - Florida

You had me at: Baker, Wilson, Ridley.

I dont know much about Granderson.

I love me some Wilson (the alternate TE).

I love the last three picks.

SUMMATION:
    Duh... yes.