Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Coach And The Team Culture

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Head Coach And The Team Culture

I got thinking about team culture after a question about the HC and players in another thread.

Interesting read on McVay and how he changed the culture of the Rams from 2017

It's absolutely refreshing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...e-rams-culture

http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles...empower-others

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Head Coach And The Team Culture

Test will be when the team has to pay everyone and encounters the difficulties and ego clashes that come with that. Or if they fall short of the SB this year.

I think Mcvay is good but I also think Fisher was sooooo bad.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Test will be when the team has to pay everyone and encounters the difficulties and ego clashes that come with that. Or if they fall short of the SB this year.

McVay is only going to get better, he started by building a good foundation. I'd take him in a second.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

McVay is great and it's crazy how he only will get better with more experience. The way he handled all the big egos the team added and got them to coalesce as one alone was amazing

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Rams defense has Talib, Peters, Brockers, Suh, Donald, Barron, Fowler, and Joyner who are former 1st round or 2nd round picks.

Rams offense has Saffold, Whitworth, Havenstein, Goff, Gurley, Everett, Cooks, and Woods who are former 1st or 2nd round picks.

Not bringing McVay's coaching ability into question with this. But since even Chris Collinsworth joked during yesterday's game that even McVay's server at Starbucks was getting HC/OC offers, how much of the Ram's success is due to pure player talent vs McVay's coaching talent? We were discussing this at work and there really is no wrong answer, but it is interesting to talk about. If McCarthy had this team would he have had enough success to keep his job? Bowles? Any one of the other 6? Just saying there is an element of 'This is just a very talented team'.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Rams defense has Talib, Peters, Brockers, Suh, Donald, Barron, Fowler, and Joyner who are former 1st round or 2nd round picks.

Rams offense has Saffold, Whitworth, Havenstein, Goff, Gurley, Everett, Cooks, and Woods who are former 1st or 2nd round picks.

Not bringing McVay's coaching ability into question with this. But since even Chris Collinsworth joked during yesterday's game that even McVay's server at Starbucks was getting HC/OC offers, how much of the Ram's success is due to pure player talent vs McVay's coaching talent? We were discussing this at work and there really is no wrong answer, but it is interesting to talk about. If McCarthy had this team would he have had enough success to keep his job? Bowles? Any one of the other 6? Just saying there is an element of 'This is just a very talented team'.

I don't know how anyone could read those two articles and not see how the guy changed the team CULTURE. Even more so when the players are saying so. These articles were written in 2017. If you have anarchy on the team, it doesn't matter how much talent you have. If you have a team of good players all playing by the same team rules you have success.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Put Tomlin in charge of that team and he'd have them underachieving in no time.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    And Talib, Peters, Suh, Donald, Cooks, and possibly Gurley will all be acting up/no showing to try and get released/traded

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I don't know how anyone could read those two articles and not see how the guy changed the team CULTURE. Even more so when the players are saying so. These articles were written in 2017. If you have anarchy on the team, it doesn't matter how much talent you have.
    No one is disputing that McVay changed things for the better. Things are good when you are winning and everyone is getting new contracts. Same types of articles were written in the first few years of Tomlins tenure and he was taking over for a HOF coach not Jeff "9-7" Fisher.

If they don't win the SB this year and they start facing contract issues, unfilled expectations, etc. let's see what happens.

McVay is impressive and one of the few I'd have little hesitation swapping Tomlin for. But it will be interesting to see where it all goes.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    And Talib, Peters, Suh, Donald, Cooks, and possibly Gurley will all be acting up/no showing to try and get released/traded
    Donald did that. Hurley repeatedly said he would if the team didn't pay up. We will have to see with the rest of the ticking time bomb crew.

No one is disputing that McVay changed things for the better. Things are good when you are winning and everyone is getting new contracts. Same types of articles were written in the first few years of Tomlins tenure and he was taking over for a HOF coach not Jeff "9-7" Fisher.

If they don't win the SB this year and they start facing contract issues, unfilled expectations, etc. let's see what happens.

McVay is impressive and one of the few I'd have little hesitation swapping Tomlin for. But it will be interesting to see where it all goes.

He's going to be fine. "McVay's beliefs are grounded in books and theories and history, with Bill Walsh and John Wooden serving as his bedrocks."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Legion of Boom was amazing... until... all of those rookies needed contracts (specifically, the franchise QB). As I’ve said, in today’s NFL, you (almost) have to win with a QB on his rookie contract. Just wait until Goff takes away money/players from the defense.

In fact, aren’t the Rams over the cap for next season already???

Donald did that. Hurley repeatedly said he would if the team didn't pay up. We will have to see with the rest of the ticking time bomb crew.
    If they have a standard then those who step out of it will face the consequences. I don't recall Bill up in NE every having an issue with this. It's refreshing to see a young guy (McVay) taking his position with zeal.

If they have a standard then those who step out of it will face the consequences. I don't recall Bill up in NE every having an issue with this. It's refreshing to see a young guy (McVay) taking his position with zeal.
    We will see. Donald held out over money and they paid him. They essentially gave Gurley the contract Bell wanted. What happens when they can't or won't pay a guy?

Bill has dodged the issue by trading anyone not named Brady before he had to pay them. Wilfork, Collins, Jones, Cooks, and others.

We will see. Donald held out over money and they paid him. They essentially gave Gurley the contract Bell wanted. What happens when they can't or won't pay a guy?

Bill has dodged the issue by trading anyone not named Brady before he had to pay them. Wilfork, Collins, Jones, Cooks, and others.

But he has been very successful with nothing interfering with the function of the team. Sounds like how you win.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I heard that Aaron Hernandez is still hanging around...

(Too soon?)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

(Too soon?)
    Nice.

(Too soon?)
    Yes; he revealed himself and he was gone and the Pats continued on winning like he was never there and he (Hernandez) didn't run the team like Harrison, Bell, AB, and a few others or he would have been gone sooner.

[/B]But he has been very successful with nothing interfering with the function of the team. Sounds like how you win.
    An argument could be made that a Pats team WITH Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins would've won the SB. Instead their lack of a pass rush and speed in their linebackers were two of the primary reasons they lost to the Eagles.

Pats are a great team run by a Mastermind. But they are not without fault.

There’s Bill Belichick... and everyone else.

McVay has done very well, but that window can (will) close quickly.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

All I know is that it's a lot easier getting to the top than it is staying at the top.

When a coach is successful enough to stay with one team long enough to have to deal with giving out big contracts to stars and restocking a roster while still picking late in the draft...that is the true measure of his abilities.

There are a lot of coaches that can have success when they take over a roster loaded with high draft picks that the last regime couldn't do anything with and a good number of cheap contracts because the team underperformed and the players are undervalued. If they are able to obtain a quality quarterback in the draft, the team should succeed for a number of years.

Of course, the ability of the front office to obtain talent is part of that equation, but there is a reason not many coaches stay with one team for a long time.

I'm not going to defend Bill, enough to say he runs a tight ship and it works. I'm just happy to see a youthful and refreshing head coach (McVay) who gets it and lays a good foundation at the beginning. Chances are he won't have to deal with a team culture issues after 10 plus years as a HC like Harrison snoring and players missing or showing up late for a team meetings or not showing up on game day, with no discipline handed out. culture things.
    Last edited by Shoes; 01-13-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    They would lose to the 49ers.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Thats also a lot of personalities and egos hes managing and managing them well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    They would lose to the 49ers.
    And the cardinals

I thought that it was here, but it must have been in a similar thread

Anyway, someone mentioned how the “four best coaches in the NFL” are playing this upcoming weekend.

BELICHICK:
    I will give you Belichick every time. He’s a cheater, which I loathe... especially because he doesn’t need to cheat in order to excel. Regardless, he’s a great coach.

PAYTON:
    Has missed the playoffs in 4 of the last 7 seasons... with the best (IMO) QB in the NFL.

REID:
    1-4 with the Chiefs in the playoffs.

McVAY:
    He’s the only one worthy of duscussion (which is probably why Shoes started this thread).

Okay... carry on.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Payton constantly, this season, attempted to out coach himself by putting Hill in at QB, He runs “Todd Haley” type gadget plays that ends drives, he makes a lot of poor decisions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I thought that it was here, but it must have been in a similar thread

Anyway, someone mentioned how the “four best coaches in the NFL” are playing this upcoming weekend.

BELICHICK:
    I will give you Belichick every time. He’s a cheater, which I loathe... especially because he doesn’t need to cheat in order to excel. Regardless, he’s a great coach.

PAYTON:
    Has missed the playoffs in 4 of the last 7 seasons... with the best (IMO) QB in the NFL.

REID:
    1-4 with the Chiefs in the playoffs.

McVAY:
    He’s the only one worthy of duscussion (which is probably why Shoes started this thread).

Okay... carry on.
    Thank you!

Fan perspective is so reactionary and short sighted. If the Eagles and Colts won on the weekend, the narrative would be "Frank Reich and Doug Pederson are the best young coaches not named McVay and Andy Reid and Sean Payton are washed up relics of the old NFL".

As for the Steelers HC and Culture. I think Tomlin is a good coach. I also think that the Head Coach should have separation from the locker room and he should have some kind of leadership group that would keep order and direction. Guys from that group would also likely be a conduit for information and direction with the HC. You can bet that if stuff got sideways in the past, that Porter, Farrior, Keisel, Ward, Hampton, etc helped straighten them out.

I think that Tomlin doesn't have that separation from players in the locker room and when he has given the stars of the team a pass for certain behavior, there is no leadership group within the locker room. There is a hierarchy of Stars, then starters on the 2nd level and backups on the lower level of the hierarchy. When the stars of the team act up, then there is no accountability within the locker room, as Tomlin has given them preferential treatment and enabled that feeling of entitlement.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

As for the Steelers HC and Culture. I think Tomlin is a good coach. I also think that the Head Coach should have separation from the locker room and he should have some kind of leadership group that would keep order and direction. Guys from that group would also likely be a conduit for information and direction with the HC. You can bet that if stuff got sideways in the past, that Porter, Farrior, Keisel, Ward, Hampton, etc helped straighten them out.
    This right here.

No Potsie "Poker" crew on this team right now to keep the locker room steady.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

The rams are a heck of a team but one has to wonder why the defense is " not good" with all the perceived talent it has ........
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now