Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RB Coach James Saxon Fired

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: RB Coach James Saxon Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think it will be fun to let the process play out and see what happens before judging the firings.
    Nah. Why would anyone one do that? Gotta make sure you get in early with your definitive opinions and final statements before you have all the information. Or else how would anyone know how smart you are?

Duh!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    At least fire Danny Smith also.
    This is an absolute must....way overdue...years overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I think it will be fun to let the process play out and see what happens before judging the firings.
    its clear Saxon had nothing to do with putting slow of foot ILBs in coverage vs Legit #1 wr's .... but that guy is still here

its also pretty clear that Conner and Samuels stepped up big time as a second year player and rookie respectively ( something Saxon does control )

Saxon also had nothing to do with special teams coaching that watched one of the best kickers in the league the last several years turn into one of the worst in the league overnight .... but that guy is still here

Saxon isnt the guy with the red flag in his pocket that has not won a meaningful challenge in forever , has no clue how to manage a clock , is clueless about setting the tone for proper locker room and team culture and allows his teams to continualy play down to its competition .. cause that guy is still here too ....

Tomlin would not know a good football coach if it walked up to him and punched him in the face
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    If Butler and Danny Smith stay while Saxon goes I give up
    This.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Nah. Why would anyone one do that? Gotta make sure you get in early with your definitive opinions and final statements before you have all the information. Or else how would anyone know how smart you are?

Duh!
    I stay out of this stuff in your house.... but I just about spit my bourbon through my nose reading that!

Being a fan of a team that has flat out sucked for the better part of two decades............. reading this stuff from Steelers fans is like being at home on my own forum...lol.

I'll stay out of this from here on out.... but I fully understand how Steelers fans feel right now.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Duh!
    Perfect!

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

danny smith still got a job? smdh

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Maybe Saxon and Porter are part of the culture problem?
    I'm guessing this no matter how good you are if you are being a dividing force you should be gone,

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

So, us fans who have watched Danny Smith’s special teams perform dismally for several years, and then question the firing of the running backs coach whose players have done well under his tutelage are guilty of being too quick to question the decision makers.

We’ll never know everything. What went on in behind the scenes.....

All we can do is judge and form an opinion on what we see. Special teams....RB’S....take your pick.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Perhaps the firings continue. If Smith and Butler or even one of those guys is ushered out, much of this may take on a different light. Additionally, we have no idea who is being named as the replacement. Perhaps the Steelers are unwilling to change their OC or HC, but view RBs coach (or QB coach) as a position to snag someone off the Reid, McVeigh, or Shannahan trees that are permeating offenses throughout the league.

OR maybe they hire the same old same old. Remains to be seen.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This is an absolute must....way overdue...years overdue.
    Joe Starkey: Steelers' special teams are a hideous disaster

JOE STARKEY
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    DEC 6, 2018

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201812060168

Senior Member Array title="Hound is a jewel in the rough">

The Steelers May me cutting the so called player coaches in an attempt to change the current and future culture. Rumor was Porter was let go for causing division, could be the same reason. It’s not like anyone on this site has a personal relationship with Saxon and know how he was in the locker room. Could be a culture changing move.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Yes, "culture" the new word in Pittsburgh.

I haven't read one negative thing about Saxon by any team, player or media, in fact its all been the opposite.

Interesting read about Saxon from early November. There is something shitty in Steelerville.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...l-news-vikings
    Last edited by Shoes; 01-07-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Perhaps the firings continue. If Smith and Butler or even one of those guys is ushered out, much of this may take on a different light. Additionally, we have no idea who is being named as the replacement. Perhaps the Steelers are unwilling to change their OC or HC, but view RBs coach (or QB coach) as a position to snag someone off the Reid, McVeigh, or Shannahan trees that are permeating offenses throughout the league.

OR maybe they hire the same old same old. Remains to be seen.
    problem with that is Saxon is the best on the league at what he does he is the Munchak of RB coaches

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I haven't read one negative thing about Saxon by any team, player or media, in fact its all been the opposite.

Interesting read about Saxon from early November. There is something shitty in Steelerville.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...l-news-vikings
    anything I have ever read on Saxon has been glowing
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I don't get these people that say the Steelers want to go in a different direction. Like what direction? Not having running backs? I mean running backs run, block and catch passes. Saxon's players excelled in all of that. What other direction is there for a RB?

I don't get these people that say the Steelers want to go in a different direction. Like what direction? Not having running backs? I mean running backs run, block and catch passes. Saxon's players excelled in all of that. What other direction is there for a RB?
    It may not be about the RBs themselves but the structure of the coaching staff and what else the staff can do besides coach RBs. For instance the Browns found an OC in their RBs coach. Saxon is not a guy that is going to take that step.

I have no idea what the Steelers plan is at this point. But I would welcome a return to the times when position coach jobs were incubators for future coordinators on both sides of the ball. The staff used to be structured that way.

If a team truly wants to change up its culture and mindset, in addition to roster turnover you may need to shed position coaches who only want to be position coaches. Perhaps hungry position coaches who want to claw their way up the coaching ladder may spark new approaches or bring challenging ideas to the table.

I am likely all wet here. It is impossible to tell until the new staff is installed. But just as “iron sharpens iron” for players, maybe bringing in fresh voices who bring a reasonable amount of change to the table might be the same for a coaching staff who has grown stale.

Of course none of this matters if bigger changes are not in the offing. Personally, I wouldn’t be upset if the entire staff short of TOmlin, Bradley, Munch, the WRs coach, and the DL coach were turned over. Hire position coaches that want to be coordinators, coordinators that want to be head coaches, and assistants to the assistants that want to be position coaches, etc. etc.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Next we're gonna fire munchak cause special teams sucked

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Next we're gonna fire munchak cause special teams sucked
    He is moving on to greener pastures and will be gone. Might as well have Tomlin now saying he let him go, so Tomlin can save more face. Tomlin is unleashing Hell in January!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Tomlin is a idiot and thinks most Steeler fans love him! Him and Goodell are the true legends in their own mind. Not Steeler players! Both Tomlin & Goodell are untouchable! So they win at the end!
    Last edited by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue; 01-08-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    its clear Saxon had nothing to do with putting slow of foot ILBs in coverage vs Legit #1 wr's .... but that guy is still here

its also pretty clear that Conner and Samuels stepped up big time as a second year player and rookie respectively ( something Saxon does control )

Saxon also had nothing to do with special teams coaching that watched one of the best kickers in the league the last several years turn into one of the worst in the league overnight .... but that guy is still here

Saxon isnt the guy with the red flag in his pocket that has not won a meaningful challenge in forever , has no clue how to manage a clock , is clueless about setting the tone for proper locker room and team culture and allows his teams to continualy play down to its competition .. cause that guy is still here too ....

Tomlin would not know a good football coach if it walked up to him and punched him in the face
    What is also clear is the Steelers run game was a middle of the pack statistically under Saxon. Then dropped to 20th overall in 2017 and 31st overall in 2018. While these drops may or may not have anything to do with slow footed line backers, it may have something to do with Saxon not being back next season.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

What is also clear is the Steelers run game was a middle of the pack statistically under Saxon. Then dropped to 20th overall in 2017 and 31st overall in 2018. While these drops may or may not have anything to do with slow footed line backers, it may have something to do with Saxon not being back next season.
    I agree that slow footed linebackers may have nothing to do with the run game and Saxon not being back next season. I also think that its equally as likely that Saxon was caught making advances at Mr Rooney's dog, or was privately advising LeVeon Bell on rap lyrics and contract negotiations.

Reality is that none of us really know why his contract wasn't renewed and I still don't understand why fans get so involved with a position coach that has to coach 4 players. I'm sorry for the man's unemployment, but trust he will find something soon and the Steelers will hire somebody to replace him, so that he can coach Conner, Samuels, a draft pick and a veteran Free Agent.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree that slow footed linebackers may have nothing to do with the run game and Saxon not being back next season. I also think that its equally as likely that Saxon was caught making advances at Mr Rooney's dog, or was privately advising LeVeon Bell on rap lyrics and contract negotiations.

Reality is that none of us really know why his contract wasn't renewed and I still don't understand why fans get so involved with a position coach that has to coach 4 players. I'm sorry for the man's unemployment, but trust he will find something soon and the Steelers will hire somebody to replace him, so that he can coach Conner, Samuels, a draft pick and a veteran Free Agent.
    Agreed.

Great lets hire porter back and keep Smith, and since Munch is leaving, doesn't matter he was just a position coach.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Great lets hire porter back and keep Smith, and since Munch is leaving, doesn't matter he was just a position coach.
    Are you really worried that a new RB coach other than James Saxon will hamper the Steelers performance going forward?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Wow! You usually make more intelligent and informed posts, as opposed to this snarky one.

Are you really worried that a new RB coach other than James Saxon will hamper the Steelers performance going forward?
    I don't feel like digging through the archives, but I am almost certain that many freaked out the last time this happened. Saxon came over from the Vikings and the previous RB coach left or something. I feel like there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth then.

I don't feel like digging through the archives, but I am almost certain that many freaked out the last time this happened. Saxon came over from the Vikings and the previous RB coach left or something. I feel like there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth then.
    It was when Leslie Frazier got fired as Vikings HC, then Mike Zimmer hired Kirby Wilson to the Vikings. Then Steelers hired James Saxon who was released by the Vikings as part of Frazier staff.

RB coach is possibly the easiest position to coach in football. None of the guys at the NFL level need to learn how to get the handoff or stick a foot for a jump cut. They need to learn how to block in pass protection, the footwork of the play being run(such as selling a counter from a pistol formation, or setting up screen pass). Most of the ability as a runner should be there by the time a guy gets to the NFL. Its just refinement.

Its not like line coaches that can take UDFA or late round pick and make him a starting O lineman like Ramon Foster, AV, Beacham, or Al Woods or Chris Hoke on the defensive side. While I don't know if anything that pointed to Saxon needing to be let go, its not that big of a deal.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    I don't but it. SaXon is an older guy, who doesn't appear to have any previous entanglement with Tomlin. IDK from the outside this seems like a lousy deal

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well, I can tell you I'm not worried. There are more pressing issues in Tomlins closet which will most certainly hamper the Steelers performance going forward. Dumping a running back coach that was doing a good job unless of course, Saxon was an ax murderer in the offseason seems, well kind of skunky.