Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lamar Jackson = Kordell Stewart

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Lamar Jackson = Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    Jackson (and the entire offense) started off bad. But he finished strong and made it close. Next season will see if he can mature and be more of a complete QB. I do not pin the L fully on his shoulders.
    The problem with Jackson is that there is just no way that he can continue to run the ball like he did during that stretch at the end of the season. RG3 is a good example of that. I'd be very worried if the Steelers were hitching their wagon to a QB like Jackson.

All that said, congrats on the AFC North crown.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Jackson (and the entire offense) started off bad. But he finished strong and made it close. Next season will see if he can mature and be more of a complete QB. I do not pin the L fully on his shoulders.
    Kid has a hell of a deep ball if he can round out his game he'll be a good one

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I thought he handled the struggles really well in the fourth quarter. It's tough on anybody, especially a rookie, when boos are cascading down from the stands from your own fans.

The kid needs a chance to develop before anyone labels him Kordell Stewart. He had a bad game against a good team that was getting a second look at what they did to them the first time. The Chargers were prepared today. Of course, they changed the approach that they used the entire game on defense that shut down the Ravens offense all game. The coaching staff nearly choked it away.

We have no idea what the finished product of Lamar Jackson will look like, but he did a terrific job to get them into the playoffs. Now teams have a better idea of how to slow down the running game and Jackson's scrambling. How they adjust the scheme and how much Jackson improves will determine how much success they have next year.

Good comeback year for you guys Crow.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Jackson needs to develop better as a passer if the Ravens are to go to and win the Super Bowl. Primarily running QBs don't win Super Bowls. Objectively speaking, the Ravens could easily be playing in Super Bowl 54 if Jackson can become a good passer

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Going forward, I'm more worried about Mayfield and the Browns than Jackson and the Ravens. Other than the fact, I'm more worried about the Steelers and their constant dysfunctionality.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The problem with Jackson is that there is just no way that he can continue to run the ball like he did during that stretch at the end of the season. RG3 is a good example of that. I'd be very worried if the Steelers were hitching their wagon to a QB like Jackson.

All that said, congrats on the AFC North crown.
    Ive made that comparison to RGIII as well. No way you can sustain a career as a QB running and taking hits like that

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I actually love the kid, my buddies kid played him with at Louisville and had nothing but good things to say. If he was in different division or on any team besides the Cheats I would be rooting for him. With that said I don't see him and Ravens as threat , too one dimensional. Just like Vick, RG III, Kaepernic you name it, If you cant stand in pocket and complete passes you cant make it in league. Even Deshaun Watson looked pretty bad today in pocket, I actually thought he was a better passer than that. Mayfield will be ok because of D, and solid running game, but Im not worried about him taking over game on his own consistently. Steelers are the biggest threat to themselves, they need to get rid of soap opera BS and build a D, then groom a knew QB in 2 years. Brady, Rivers and Ben will probably leave around same time, that leaves Mahomes as the only great QB( if you can call him that after 1 year of starting ) left in AFC.Luck if healthy is up there as well. I still think Darnold we be the best of last years draft. My point is no AFC should run away with title like the Pats used to in the near future. The Steelers will stay in the AFC mix IMO.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Jackson is not as good (yet?) as some were saying before he played the Chargers yesterday for the second time or as bad as he played until late in that game, but not a good sign that these are the QBs to who he is being compared this morning

The same questions that were asked about rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson eight weeks ago are being asked again.
    Can the Ravens improve his accuracy? Can he perform at a high level in an NFL passing offense? Can he win games and lead comebacks from the pocket?
    Actually, there is another one: Is he another Kyle Boller?...

There were overthrows and underthrows. There were fumbles and a lack of pocket awareness when pressured. He looked lost at times, and the same questions that haunted him in the preseason were back on a lot of fans’ minds.
    Until proved otherwise, the theory about being unable to coach accuracy is still prevailing: Either you have it or you don’t. Boller didn’t have accuracy, and so far neither does Jackson.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...106-story.html

I had a coach and a scout text me, independent of one another, during the Ravens/Chargers game on Sunday to invoke Tim Tebow’s name in watching Lamar Jackson’s performance. And I do think there’s a fair parallel there. The Broncos run game was a handful to deal with after Mike McCoy and Adam Gase overhauled the offense and turned it into option-based attack for Tebow in 2011. But they knew it had a shelf life, and eventually Tebow would have to evolve and learn to win from the pocket, something that never happened.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/07/wi...s-colts-texans

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Jackson is not as good (yet?) as some were saying before he played the Chargers yesterday for the second time or as bad as he played until late in that game, but not a good sign that these are the QBs to who he is being compared this morning

The same questions that were asked about rookie quarterback Lamar Jackson eight weeks ago are being asked again.
    Can the Ravens improve his accuracy? Can he perform at a high level in an NFL passing offense? Can he win games and lead comebacks from the pocket?
    Actually, there is another one: Is he another Kyle Boller?...

There were overthrows and underthrows. There were fumbles and a lack of pocket awareness when pressured. He looked lost at times, and the same questions that haunted him in the preseason were back on a lot of fans’ minds.
    Until proved otherwise, the theory about being unable to coach accuracy is still prevailing: Either you have it or you don’t. Boller didn’t have accuracy, and so far neither does Jackson.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...106-story.html

I had a coach and a scout text me, independent of one another, during the Ravens/Chargers game on Sunday to invoke Tim Tebow’s name in watching Lamar Jackson’s performance. And I do think there’s a fair parallel there. The Broncos run game was a handful to deal with after Mike McCoy and Adam Gase overhauled the offense and turned it into option-based attack for Tebow in 2011. But they knew it had a shelf life, and eventually Tebow would have to evolve and learn to win from the pocket, something that never happened.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/07/wi...s-colts-texans
    It is going to be interesting with Jackson, Harbaugh, and the Ravens. I think Harbaugh was focused on winning games with Jackson in 2018, not developing his QB skill set. Harbaugh knew he had to make the playoffs to save his job AND demonstrate to ownership that he could win with the new "franchise" QB. As I result I think he and the OC (Morningweg?) designed an offense that enabled them to win as much as possible and minimize Jackson's throws and reads. Hence the Tebow comparisons.

Assuming all that leads to an extension and stability for the Ravens coaching staff, be interested to see what they try and do on offense in 2019. I suspect it will be a more full-fledged approach and could immediately look vastly improved depending on which version of Lamar Jackson's pre-draft evaluations are correct. The one that saw a limited passer with phenomenal running skills or the one that saw a great runner with more than good enough passing skills.

Either way, Jackson is the kind of prospect that can get coaching staffs fired. I was a big fan of his in the draft process and think that with an entire off-season in an offense designed for him, he will be good in 2019.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Everyone has an opinion, but I think it’s way too early to label Jackson as a bust, elite, or anything in between. He just turned 22 years old today. Time will tell. I’ll give him this- he could have puked away the entire 4th quarter. Instead, he got the Ravens within a score of a W. He’s got moxie.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Everyone has an opinion, but I think it’s way too early to label Jackson as a bust, elite, or anything in between. He just turned 22 years old today. Time will tell. I’ll give him this- he could have puked away the entire 4th quarter. Instead, he got the Ravens within a score of a W. He’s got moxie.
    I don't think he could ever be labeled a bust, any team that picked him knew it would be a gamble. Even though they lost yesterday he had a successful rookie year for sure. His attitude and humbleness make you want to root for him, too bad he's on Ravens so I cant.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

One draft analyst said that Jackson was not as well developed a pocket passer as Mike Vick was when he was a rookie. I agree and think that was pretty evident. I thought Jackson would take 2-3 years to develop at least. I think the Ravens handing him the starting job will not be good for his development.