Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joey Porter Fired !

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Joey Porter Fired !

via many on twitter ,,,,,,,,, it has started please let this be the beginning of change and not the only change
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Joey Porter Fired !

Bell is cut.
    Ben retires.
    AB is traded.
    Butler is fired.
    Smith is fired.
    Fichtner is fired.
    Tomlin is fired.

Two of those things will not happen this year, Still a ways to go to cleaning up the cancer.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It is real and it is beautiful -- https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/st...h-joey-porter/

Only worry is why fire assistants first if you are firing the DC? Most DCs are given free reign to bring in their staff, aren't they?

Makes me worried that Butler is going to wiggle out of the noose.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I love how the haters like to throw around the word FIRED.

His contract was up and they weren't going to renew it because for some strange reason a guy that was a productive pass rusher, cannot teach a guy like Bud Dupree how to get an OT's hands off him to dip and rip around the edge, or to setup a counter move in the pass rush. There are obviously better OLB coaches out there and I am happy the Steelers are now going to look for one.

Look for Danny Smith to be the next coach the Steelers part ways with.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It is real and it is beautiful -- https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/st...h-joey-porter/

Only worry is why fire assistants first if you are firing the DC? Most DCs are given free reign to bring in their staff, aren't they?

Makes me worried that Butler is going to wiggle out of the noose.
    Tomlin might have thrown Porter to the wolves hoping that placates AJRII

But Tomlin's assurances to his coordinators have been overruled in the past.

Arians was told last week by Tomlin that he would return in 2012, and Tomlin indicated that in a news conference one day after the Steelers' playoff loss in Denver.

Team president Art Rooney II indicated Tuesday, however, that some members of the coaching staff were considering retirement.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201201190269

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

another scapegoat move. smith and butler still have jobs. what next, if we miss the playoffs next year tomlin will fire the ball boy?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Leave Jerry Porter alone.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Joey Porter Fired !

Great butbhe wasnt reallybfired just not renewed. When’s the Butler and Smith firings gonna occur?? Butler still has a year on his deal so in all likelihood, Tomlin will puss out and not fire him until his deal is up...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Of the 2017 defensive assistants, three down & two left to go. I would have wagered Olsavsky was more likely not to be back than Porter.

Defensive Coordinator – Keith Butler
    Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line – John Mitchell
    Inside Linebackers – Jerry Olsavsky
    Outside Linebackers – Joey Porter
    Defensive Backs – Carnell Lake

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Great butbhe wasnt reallybfired just not renewed. When’s the Butler and Smith firings gonna occur?? Butler still has a year on his deal so in all likelihood, Tomlin will puss out and not fire him until his deal is up...
    Steelers had the 6th ranked defense in yards allowed, the 16th in points allowed, so it really wasn't a terrible performance and I think they are gonna give Butler another year.

I don't like the way that guys stand around near the end of a play and let the ballcarrier gain another 2 yards on 2nd and 3rd effort to break a tackle. Its a culture of opposing team offenses out hustling the Steelers defense. The process of getting out schemed where you end up with an ILB on a slot WR several games this season and the lack of a culture where there is no relentless pursuit to and thru the whistle are reasons that I would move on from Butler right now.

While the defensive numbers weren't that bad... Keeping Butler on is now the acceptance of mediocrity, rather than striving for greatness. IMO

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Does this bring up the Kevin Greene conversation again?

Jim Mora Jr didn’t have much success as a HC, but his defenses always had good LB play.

Anybody else you guys can think of that might make a good replacement as OLBs coach?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Steelers had the 6th ranked defense in yards allowed, the 16th in points allowed, so it really wasn't a terrible performance and I think they are gonna give Butler another year.

I don't like the way that guys stand around near the end of a play and let the ballcarrier gain another 2 yards on 2nd and 3rd effort to break a tackle. Its a culture of opposing team offenses out hustling the Steelers defense. The process of getting out schemed where you end up with an ILB on a slot WR several games this season and the lack of a culture where there is no relentless pursuit to and thru the whistle are reasons that I would move on from Butler right now.

While the defensive numbers weren't that bad... Keeping Butler on is now the acceptance of mediocrity, rather than striving for greatness. IMO
    But 23rd in second half and 25th in 4th quarter points allowed.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...oints-per-game

Cannot find a breakdown on yards allowed by quarter but based on the killing 4th quarter scoring drives since Thanksgiving I assume similar rankings would be calculated.

Senior Member Array title="The Bark is a jewel in the rough"> The Bark's Avatar

Low-hanging fruit is easier to pick.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Does this bring up the Kevin Greene conversation again?

Jim Mora Jr didn’t have much success as a HC, but his defenses always had good LB play.

Anybody else you guys can think of that might make a good replacement as OLBs coach?
    Greene is on the Jets staff (so far)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Alex Grinch is taking the DC job at Oklahoma looks like. Was hoping to maybe get him on this defensive staff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Greene is on the Jets staff (so far)
    Last season. With Bowles getting fired who knows. I bet he is open to talks.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I love how the haters like to throw around the word FIRED.

His contract was up and they weren't going to renew it because for some strange reason a guy that was a productive pass rusher, cannot teach a guy like Bud Dupree how to get an OT's hands off him to dip and rip around the edge, or to setup a counter move in the pass rush. There are obviously better OLB coaches out there and I am happy the Steelers are now going to look for one.

Look for Danny Smith to be the next coach the Steelers part ways with.
    He was fired. Not as if the position has been eliminated.

My thinking is this was the first step in a new more disciplined direction. Porter may or may not have been a good coach? If you're going to blame him for Dupre do you not then credit him for Watt? But I don't think that's why he "wasn't renewed." I think his conduct through the years both on and off the field during both his playing days and as a coach have proven himself someone of questionable judgement. Something you don't need in a coach.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

One down more to go

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Wonder if the make Butler the LB coach again?

Except, there were several games where that didn't happen. I remember being surprised at how the Steelers were swarming to the ball. My guess is that it breaks down when we get injuries and players have to fill in or take on more responsibility than they are used to.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Definitely on the right side of the ball....DEFENSE.....now DON'T stop there......keep on going on and get 4-5 more !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    But 23rd in second half and 25th in 4th quarter points allowed.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...oints-per-game

Cannot find a breakdown on yards allowed by quarter but based on the killing 4th quarter scoring drives since Thanksgiving I assume similar rankings would be calculated.
    Yeah, that isn't good. Like I say, the defensive culture of lack of effort and mediocrity is enough that I would move on and make a change, but terrible 4th quarter scoring indicates a few things to me:

1. The team doesn't have an offense that can close out football games and run a 4 minute drill.
    2. The defense may not be physically conditioned enough to withstand all the 2nd half reps, or isn't deep enough to have quality players getting some snaps on the front 7.
    3. The opposing offensive adjustments made at halftime are something the defense doesn't overcome.
    4. The defense doesn't have the leadership or culture to play hard and have the mindset that the next play is the one they can make a big stop. Lacks perseverance.

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

"Unemployed, but well."

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The defense simply isn't good enough at key positions and lacks playmakers. They can stop a team for about 2/3 to 3/4 of a game but when the inferior talent is asked to meet the mark too many times, the percentages bite them in the ass.

Defense have to play for like 30-35 minutes in the NFL (based on TOP stats and plays run) the Steelers have a 20-25 minute defense. Almost assuredly because they are not up to the mark at key spots (Safety, ILB) and they have no viable rotational players at OLB to ensure a constant pass rush rate.

Can I be the DC now?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Can I be the DC now?
    before I answer that question, how many yards will you be having your CBs play off the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    before I answer that question, how many yards will you be having your CBs play off the ball?
    I figure at least 15. Gotta stop the big play.

Yeah, that isn't good. Like I say, the defensive culture of lack of effort and mediocrity is enough that I would move on and make a change, but terrible 4th quarter scoring indicates a few things to me:

1. The team doesn't have an offense that can close out football games and run a 4 minute drill.
    The 4th quarter of the Saints game (fumble/failed fake punt/fumble on last 3 drives) being Exhibit A

23rd in points scored by offense in 4th quarter, 15th in time of possession by offense in 4th quarter

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...sion-share-pct

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The 4th quarter of the Saints game (fumble/failed fake punt/fumble on last 3 drives) being Exhibit A

23rd in points scored by offense in 4th quarter, 15th in time of possession by offense in 4th quarter

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...sion-share-pct
    Yeah, I wonder how the team ranked in 2017 in terms of those stats. Something tells me the offense ran the football better, possessed it more and closed out games.

Yeah, I wonder how the team ranked in 2017 in terms of those stats. Something tells me the offense ran the football better, possessed it more and closed out games.
    It is right in the linked table. They were better in both stats in 2017.

TOP share by 5.5% and they scored 1.6 more points in the 4th quarter in 2017. That moved them well up the rankings in both metrics.

I think we kind of already knew that right? How many of those 13 wins last year were on late FGs? Add in the Raiders miss, the Saints fumble that would've been a made FG last year, and toss in a few others here or there and you basically have 2017 met or exceeded.

Browns missed FG
    Raiders missed FG
    Saints fumble and assumed made FG

That takes the team to what 12 wins? I'm not putting it all on the kicking game. Just highlighting that 3 kicks get made this year and 2018 is a repeat of 2017. A flawed Steelers team pulls out 3-4 hearstopping last minute wins to push into the playoffs.

It isn't a mystery.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Kevin Greene as the next OLB coach?
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh