Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joey Porter Fired !

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Joey Porter Fired !

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bud Dupree, Jarvis Jones, Anthony Chikillo...not exactly your easiest players to coach up...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

for the record ... that is one of the places I got " Porter was fired"

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Secondary and ILB situation is a mess.... so let the OLB coach go, to be fair Porter is a bit of an ass.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    Secondary and ILB situation is a mess.... so let the OLB coach go, to be fair Porter is a bit of an ass.
    Is firing the ILB coach going to fix the situation? or do they need better talent at the ILB spot other than 6th round pick Vince Williams?

Porter had 2 different 1st round picks at OLB and hasn't developed Dupree at all.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Is firing the ILB coach going to fix the situation? or do they need better talent at the ILB spot other than 6th round pick Vince Williams?

Porter had 2 different 1st round picks at OLB and hasn't developed Dupree at all.
    Better talent and better coaching...now of which is here...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Porter divisive? No way.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

for the record ... that is one of the places I got " Porter was fired"

With regard to the semantics on Porter was not fired his contract was not extended, if you want to remain in your job (I have not seen Porter being on anyone's short list as a DC for another team) and your employer says you are not going to continue in your job but your job position is not going to be eliminated, I regard that as being fired regardless of whether or not you have a contract that is expiring.

Porter was fired just like Arians was. Only question for me is whether AJRII ordered it again or Tomlin did it on his own this time.

Member Array title="Blue Marvel is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post

Dupree denies Porter stirred up divisiveness in locker room but then says “we have to learn how to be be together”

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think we are starting to see Steeler life without Dan Rooney

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Alex Grinch is taking the DC job at Oklahoma looks like. Was hoping to maybe get him on this defensive staff.

- - - Updated - - -

Last season. With Bowles getting fired who knows. I bet he is open to talks.
    Why? Why? Are Steelers fans hung up on bringing back ex players to be coaches? Hasn't worked out great so far

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Porter was fired just like Arians was. Only question for me is whether AJRII ordered it again or Tomlin did it on his own this time.
    So you want to know who ordered the code pink slip? Do you think you can handle the truth?

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    So you want to know who ordered the code pink slip? Do you think you can handle the truth?
    If I can handle the ongoing cluster of Danny Smith’s special teams and how he still has a job I think I can handle who dumped Porter

FWIW I think it is noteworthy if the owner is dictating who comes back as an assistant coach below the coordinator level. Tomlin being forced to retain LeBeau as a condition of being hired and being forced to get rid of Arians to save the QB is different from axing a position coach

Of course maybe if AJRII ordered the code pink slip the execution was botched and when Tomlin was told “I want you get rid of 2 assistant coaches and we both know who they are” Tomlin did not know that meant Butler & Smith and instead fired Santiago aka Porter

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I always remember HTG saying she was worried about life after DR because she had seen ARII at work in her time as a legal assistant or something like that.

I remember that also.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Why? Why? Are Steelers fans hung up on bringing back ex players to be coaches? Hasn't worked out great so far

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    If your asking me the answer is...

True, Kevin Greene is an ex-Steeler. But he is also a member of an all decade team for playing the OLB position for the Rams, Steelers, and Panthers. He has a track record as an OLB position coach that you can use to directly grade his coaching ability. He was brought out of retirement to be an OLB coach for Bowles. Plus, he wants to come to Pittsburgh to coach the OLBs per his own comments. So for me, the Kevin Greene talk is about more than hiring just an ex-Steeler, but also hiring a proven position coach that WANTS to make the Steelers great again.

That is why he’s the first call on my list.

True, Kevin Greene is an ex-Steeler. But he is also a member of an all decade team for playing the OLB position for the Rams, Steelers, and Panthers. He has a track record as an OLB position coach that you can use to directly grade his coaching ability. He was brought out of retirement to be an OLB coach for Bowles. Plus, he wants to come to Pittsburgh to coach the OLBs per his own comments. So for me, the Kevin Greene talk is about more than hiring just an ex-Steeler, but also hiring a proven position coach that WANTS to make the Steelers great again.

Bet they don’t hire a replacement for Porter...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?
    Just a hunch. Just seems to be the way things are going. Why not let Olsavsky coach both? Just seems like a move Tomlin would make...

Just a hunch. Just seems to be the way things are going. Why not let Olsavsky coach both? Just seems like a move Tomlin would make...
    Ok. Staying with your line of thinking there for a moment. Since there is this push for a hybrid defense that employs bigger DBs playing at ILB positions, make them part of the secondary essentially. That would put Bradley coaching secondary and LBs. Olsavsky moves to Porter's role at OLB. OR since we are a 3-4 that typically uses a 5 man front the OLBs become a part of the DL room. ???Will see.

Ok. Staying with your line of thinking there for a moment. Since there is this push for a hybrid defense that employs bigger DBs playing at ILB positions, make them part of the secondary essentially. That would put Bradley coaching secondary and LBs. Olsavsky moves to Porter's role at OLB. OR since we are a 3-4 that typically uses a 5 man front the OLBs become a part of the DL room. ???Will see.
    Could be. I could be totally wrong though. I just have this feeling with this Tomlin that shit wont be “right”...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I suspect they will fill the position. But I don’t think it will be Greene or any of the obvious choices. WHo they hire will be telling (because I guess we aren’t getting a new DC for some reason) in terms of the role they envision for their OLBs. If it is Greene or someone like him, then they are going to go old school pass rush with the position. If it is someone from outside the fire zone 3-4 world, they might be going more coverages with the position. Should be mildly interesting.

Of course maybe if AJRII ordered the code pink slip the execution was botched and when Tomlin was told “I want you get rid of 2 assistant coaches and we both know who they are” Tomlin did not know that meant Butler & Smith and instead fired Santiago aka Porter
    I would love to see Art II go off in classic Nathan Jessup fashion...

Listen Omar Epps...we live in a world without FG's and Kick coverage, and I've seen it for myself. And my presence, although grotesque to you, is necessary for the safety and security of the SU Message Board. Who is gonna draw up coverages, fake punts and stop blocked kicks?!?!? You Cool Shades, you Danny Smith, you unknowns quality control lackey?!?! I didn't think so.

So despite what you and your friends say about blades of grass, unleashing hell and the standard being the standard, you don't have what it takes to make things better. You want me in that owners box....you need me in the owners box!! YEAH, I ORDERED THE CODE PINK SLIP!! Danny and Keith are out, so tell the other guys they still have a job!!