Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early Mock

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Early Mock

Just for the heck of it, lets start throwing together a few mocks

After two games.

Mike Pouncey OG Florida / I think he is the top OG in the draft and would make the line interior an incredably strong point in our offence. If he is as sharp as his brother, might start right off.

Christian Ballard DE Iowa / Has the size that we like at DE. A talant that is a little overshadowed be Clayborn.

James Carpenter OT Ala. / More known as a run blocker, but I can't see him as soft on the pass blocking either, and can get better.

Chykie Brown CB Texas / Very quick corner, with desent size. Might move up though.

Jeron Johnson SS Boise St. / Good size and 4.55 speed. Opinions very on this one.

Anthony Gray NT Southern Miss. / I think he could be a very solid NT for us. Might be a little underrated.

Taylor Potts QB Texas Tech. Threw for 3440 yards with 22 TDs and 13 Ints last year.

Yes it is early, but I think every one of these kids are worth looking at, and talking about. Draft season never ends.

AML

Re: Early Mock

OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State, 6'5 305 lbs (Climbing the rankings quickly)

DE Christian Ballard, Iowa, 6'4 298 lbs (I think everyone loves this guy)

NT Kenrick Ellis, Hampton, 6'5 340 lbs (If his character has improved...he is a force.)

OT/OG James Brewer, Indiana, 6'6 334 lbs (Road grader that could play Guard or RT)

TE Lee Smith, Marshall, 6'6 265 lbs (would immediately be our 2nd best Blocking TE & Receiving TE)

CB Justin Rogers,Richmond, 5'10 182 lbs (had 7 interceptions two years ago...now nobody throws to his side of the field)

OT/OG Pat Illig, Wofford, 6'5 320 lbs (shhhhhhh....one of my super sleeper picks)
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State, 6'5 305 lbs (Climbing the rankings quickly)

DE Christian Ballard, Iowa, 6'4 298 lbs (I think everyone loves this guy)

NT Kenrick Ellis, Hampton, 6'5 340 lbs (If his character has improved...he is a force.)

OT/OG James Brewer, Indiana, 6'6 334 lbs (Road grader that could play Guard or RT)

TE Lee Smith, Marshall, 6'6 265 lbs (would immediately be our 2nd best Blocking TE & Receiving TE)

CB Justin Rogers,Richmond, 5'10 182 lbs (had 7 interceptions two years ago...now nobody throws to his side of the field)

OT/OG Pat Illig, Wofford, 6'5 320 lbs (shhhhhhh....one of my super sleeper picks)
    Love this draft bud, although I don't know Illig at all.

I agree Sherrod should end up about where we pick in the 1st, and could be the OT I've been wanting.

I love the Smith pick, infact I originally had him in my mock as the 6th round pick. I thought his trouble in Tenn. might hurt him.

Not sure about Ellis being there for us in the 3rd, but it would be nice.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Love this draft bud, although I don't know Illig at all.
    (Shhhhhhh...dont say his name out loud)

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201...S/9231033/1088

CB Justin Rogers is your kind of player also.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

(Shhhhhhh...dont say his name out loud)

CB Justin Rogers is your kind of player also.
    Sound like it's to late bud. The word seems to be out on this kid. I don't know when the last time was that I've seen all the teams scouting a school this small. Great Job!!!!

AML

Sound like it's to late bud. The word seems to be out on this kid. I don't know when the last time was that I've seen all the teams scouting a school this small. Great Job!!!!
    Did you check out Rogers? Three time All American... had three games with at least 200 yards in kickoff returns last year... had 7 interceptions as a sophomore and even though no one wanted to throw to him last year, he still had 3 picks and 8 passes broken up...

he is ranked as the #25 CB in the nation (which is nuts)...and a possible 7th rounder.

http://nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp...2011&genpos=CB

-- Jack Lambert --

Did you check out Rogers? Three time All American... had three games with at least 200 yards in kickoff returns last year... had 7 interceptions as a sophomore and even though no one wanted to throw to him last year, he still had 3 picks and 8 passes broken up...

he is ranked as the #25 CB in the nation (which is nuts)...and a possible 7th rounder.

http://nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsp...2011&genpos=CB

I read this and a couple of other articals on Rogers, and I agree. A CB that runs a mid 4.4, can break to the ball, and can tackle, being a 7th round pick does not make a lot of sence. I would expect to see him climb a little after the season is over and we get into the combines. But if not, I think he would make a hell of a 7th rounder.

AML

I read this and a couple of other articals on Rogers, and I agree. A CB that runs a mid 4.4, can break to the ball, and can tackle, being a 7th round pick does not make a lot of sence. I would expect to see him climb a little after the season is over and we get into the combines. But if not, I think he would make a hell of a 7th rounder.
    I think we are onto a true sleeper.....In his last game Rogers had a pass breakup... forced a fumble... made five tackles... and recorded two interceptions. He returned the 2nd pick for a 34 yard TD.

-- Jack Lambert --

I think we are onto a true sleeper.....In his last game Rogers had a pass breakup... forced a fumble... made five tackles... and recorded two interceptions. He returned the 2nd pick for a 34 yard TD.
    I read that and a couple of other things. I am working on a new mock and I can promise you he will be on this one, but I also have 2 CBs on that mock.

AML

I read that and a couple of other things. I am working on a new mock and I can promise you he will be on this one, but I also have 2 CBs on that mock.
    Hmmmm...Rashad Carmichael of Virginia Tech or Curtis Brown of Texas?

-- Jack Lambert --

Someone been sending you my notes. I'll post it tomorrow.

AML

Someone been sending you my notes. I'll post it tomorrow.
    LOL!!! No, we just always seem to like the same prospects.

-- Jack Lambert --

Have not seen all these kids play. Some is from what I have read about these player.

1. Jason Pinkston OT Pittsburgh. 6'4", 310lb, 5.12. ( Watched him play several time )
    After the Miami game Wannstedt decided to change up his O-line. One change he didn't made was Pinkston at LT. I have watched Jason last year and this and think that he has the quickness and footwork to become a good LT. Till then he could step in at RT if we loss Colon, and Scott doesn't progress as we hope. I would be happy with anyone of 6 OTs, but I think Pinkston will be the one available to us.

2. Rishard Carmichael CB Virginia Tech. 5'10, 185 lb. 4.38. ( Watched him play twice this year )
    Could be the fastest CB in the draft, just a head of Curtis Brown. In the win over East Carolina he had two ints. returning one 68 yards for a TD. In 2009 he lead the team with 6 ints., and was 5th in TT with 55, 4 TFL. He also had 6 pass breakups, and 6 QB hurries. Your right LLT, I did have my eye on Brown of Texas, but Carmichael, IMO, is a little bit more of at ball hawk, and will put himself into position to at least break up a pass better. I also think even with the slow start, Brown may cost us out 1st round pick.

3. Kinrick Ellis NT Hampton. 6'5", 340 lb, 5,07. ( Watched him in part of one game this year )
    Ellis is dominate in his league. The last game he had 8 TT, 2 TFL, 1 FF. The game before that he had 16 TT, 3TFL, 2 sacks, 1 Fumble Recovery. I am a little tore on this guy, not because of his talent, but his technique. He tends to play a little high letting smaller, weaker plays get under him and direct him one way or the other. Hopefully this can be coached out of him.

4. Jaiquawn Jarrett FS Temple. 6'0", 200 lb, 4.57. ( Watched him most of one game this year )
    Jarrett has be describe as a heat seeking missile. Does that sound like someone we have at FS already. A punishing tackler who gets to the RB quickly. In a 22-13 loss to Penn. St. he lead the defense with 11 TT.

5. Justin Rogers CB Richmond. 6'2", 200 lb, 4.48. ( Have never seen him play )
    See him listed as a 7th round pick, but look at his size and speed, and read a little about him and I can't see it. I the last game against Coatstal Carolina he had a pass breakup, 2 ints, a FF, and 5 TTs. Yes a small school player, but one to keep and eye on, one that may be coached into a very good player. I just hope he doesn't get invited to the combine.

6. Lee Smith TE Marshall. 6'6", 265 lb, 4.79. ( Watched him again just last night for the 3rd time )
    I think this kid is underrated, and hope he stays that way. Soft hand + hard hitting block = what may be a very good pro. Saw him make a couple of catches that made him look more like a WR. Probably will not make many yards after the catch, but will not drop many. Another red zone weapon?

7. Pat Illig OG Wofford. 6'5", 320lb. ( Never seen him play, likely never will )
    Never even heard of this kid till LLT brought him up, but since then I have read some about him. If what they write is true he is a player that can play either OG, or RT. Large, strong earth mover that loves to knock defensive players to the ground, and its hard to make a tackle from there. Wouldn't be the 1st time a kid has slipped in from a small school and made a big splash.

AML

Have not seen all these kids play. Some is from what I have read about these player.

1. Jason Pinkston OT Pittsburgh. 6'4", 310lb, 5.12. ( Watched him play several time )
    After the Miami game Wannstedt decided to change up his O-line. One change he didn't made was Pinkston at LT. I have watched Jason last year and this and think that he has the quickness and footwork to become a good LT. Till then he could step in at RT if we loss Colon, and Scott doesn't progress as we hope. I would be happy with anyone of 6 OTs, but I think Pinkston will be the one available to us.
    Very strong pick. I had Sherrod here but as I feared, he has gone from the #5 ranked OT to #1 on a lot of boards since the season started. I would keep an eye on OT Nate Potter also. He is missing from most mocks and draft prospect listings because the coach keeps saying that he is going to be playing guard but he ends up playing LT. Noone knows where to rank him...but when they get it figured out he will be a 1st or 2nd round prospect.

2. Rishard Carmichael CB Virginia Tech. 5'10, 185 lb. 4.38. ( Watched him play twice this year )
    Could be the fastest CB in the draft, just a head of Curtis Brown. In the win over East Carolina he had two ints. returning one 68 yards for a TD. In 2009 he lead the team with 6 ints., and was 5th in TT with 55, 4 TFL. He also had 6 pass breakups, and 6 QB hurries. Your right LLT, I did have my eye on Brown of Texas, but Carmichael, IMO, is a little bit more of at ball hawk, and will put himself into position to at least break up a pass better. I also think even with the slow start, Brown may cost us out 1st round pick.
    Absolutely LOVE this pick...and totally agree with you that Brown will probably go in the first. Rashard Carmichael might end up playing himself out of our reach also...but as of right now you have him right where he belongs.

3. Kinrick Ellis NT Hampton. 6'5", 340 lb, 5,07. ( Watched him in part of one game this year )
    Ellis is dominate in his league. The last game he had 8 TT, 2 TFL, 1 FF. The game before that he had 16 TT, 3TFL, 2 sacks, 1 Fumble Recovery. I am a little tore on this guy, not because of his talent, but his technique. He tends to play a little high letting smaller, weaker plays get under him and direct him one way or the other. Hopefully this can be coached out of him.
    A couple of things are going to have to happen for us to draft Ellis. 1) Another 3-4 defensive team doesnt snatch him earlier. 2) Tomlin is going to have to be convinced that Ellis's past character issued are behind him. Now keep in mind that I have Ellis on my draft board alos...but I think that eveything has to fall in place. A couple of other possibilities might be NT Phil Taylor of Baylor who is a huge 6'4 340...or possibly DE Cedric Thornton of Southern Arkansas who is playing DT right now but at 6'4 295 is a protypical 3-4 DE.

4. Jaiquawn Jarrett FS Temple. 6'0", 200 lb, 4.57. ( Watched him most of one game this year )
    Jarrett has be describe as a heat seeking missile. Does that sound like someone we have at FS already. A punishing tackler who gets to the RB quickly. In a 22-13 loss to Penn. St. he lead the defense with 11 TT.
    If we go with a DE in the third...we could look at NT Anthony Gray from Southern Miss or NT Lawton Scott of Ole Miss. I personally like Scott a little better at 6'2 322 lbs.

See him listed as a 7th round pick, but look at his size and speed, and read a little about him and I can't see it. I the last game against Coatstal Carolina he had a pass breakup, 2 ints, a FF, and 5 TTs. Yes a small school player, but one to keep and eye on, one that may be coached into a very good player. I just hope he doesn't get invited to the combine.

6. Lee Smith TE Marshall. 6'6", 265 lb, 4.79. ( Watched him again just last night for the 3rd time )
    I think this kid is underrated, and hope he stays that way. Soft hand + hard hitting block = what may be a very good pro. Saw him make a couple of catches that made him look more like a WR. Probably will not make many yards after the catch, but will not drop many. Another red zone weapon?

7. Pat Illig OG Wofford. 6'5", 320lb. ( Never seen him play, likely never will )
    Never even heard of this kid till LLT brought him up, but since then I have read some about him. If what they write is true he is a player that can play either OG, or RT. Large, strong earth mover that loves to knock defensive players to the ground, and its hard to make a tackle from there. Wouldn't be the 1st time a kid has slipped in from a small school and made a big splash
    Love the last three picks!!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

SteelerSal

Just to let you both know, I've been reading your posts and am enjoying every bit of it...even though we are still early in the regular season. Keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post
    Just to let you both know, I've been reading your posts and am enjoying every bit of it...even though we are still early in the regular season. Keep it coming!
    Thanks Sal...but its NEVER to early for draft talk!!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

Thank LLT. At this point It is still a work in progress. Ellis is still a bit of an enigma to me. He just hasn't seemed to learn how to use
    his talent yet and is getting by on his size. By the end of the year he will probably be a 2nd rounder, with a NT that size who knows where he will land. If that happens we will have to look else where. I've mentioned Gray before and Scott just might be a better option.

Not quite ready to give up Jarrett yet, but when push comes to shove a sacrifice may have to be made and he just might be it.

I would be tickled with my last 3 picks, but have a feeling that both Rogers, and Smith are not finished moving up. Who the heck knows what will happen with Illig.

Football season last about 7 months. Steeler drafting last 12.

AML

Thank LLT. At this point It is still a work in progress. Ellis is still a bit of an enigma to me. He just hasn't seemed to learn how to use
    his talent yet and is getting by on his size. By the end of the year he will probably be a 2nd rounder, with a NT that size who knows where he will land. If that happens we will have to look else where. I've mentioned Gray before and Scott just might be a better option.

Not quite ready to give up Jarrett yet, but when push comes to shove a sacrifice may have to be made and he just might be it.

I would be tickled with my last 3 picks, but have a feeling that both Rogers, and Smith are not finished moving up. Who the heck knows what will happen with Illig.

Football season last about 7 months. Steeler drafting last 12.
    Ellis has a that whole cloud of "drug use" over his head. I had him in my mock draft also...but will be keeping an eye on what he has to say about his past and if it appears that he has matured.

A usual you are right on the money in regards to Rogers...Smith...and even Illig. We can be REAL excited that there is that type of talent in the later rounds...but we are both aware that they will probably rise up the boards by draft time.

-- Jack Lambert --

Ellis has a that whole cloud of "drug use" over his head. I had him in my mock draft also...but will be keeping an eye on what he has to say about his past and if it appears that he has matured.

A usual you are right on the money in regards to Rogers...Smith...and even Illig. We can be REAL excited that there is that type of talent in the later rounds...but we are both aware that they will probably rise up the boards by draft time.
    To be honest bud, right now I'm not even thinking about the drug thing. How ever if I'm still interested in another month and a half I will be paying a lot of attention to it.

AML

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal View Post
    Same here.thanks for the work guys

personally I'm high (lol) on Ellis and I love your views on him. Haven't been able to watch him this year, but last season he was an absolute beast. But yeah, with his past issues I wouldn't take him before the 3rd

as for oline my two main guys right now are JAmes Carpenter from Bama and mammoth orlando franklin from miami. What do you think of them?
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post

personally I'm high (lol) on Ellis and I love your views on him. Haven't been able to watch him this year, but last season he was an absolute beast. But yeah, with his past issues I wouldn't take him before the 3rd

as for oline my two main guys right now are JAmes Carpenter from Bama and mammoth orlando franklin from miami. What do you think of them?

James Carpenter of Alabama is 6'5 304 ....its "expected" that he will try and bulk up before the draft and play OG in the pros. Extremely hard worker...lunch pail type of player who makes up for lack of athleticism with a solid work ethic. Great draft pick in the later rounds that will pay off for a patient team who is willing to give him a year in a NFL weightroom.

Orlando Franklin of Miami is 6'7 320....will have to play inside in the pros though he has played LT in college. Heavy footed "plodder" with good strength. Not agile enough to play LT at a higher level. Waist bender, but that seems to be the case with most really tall linemen.

If you like Franklin...take a look at James Brewer from Indiana... 6'6 335....Can play OG/OT but probably a RT in the pros. He might slide under the radar a bit because he has battled injuries over the last two years...but he is a FORCE. True definition of a roadgrader.

-- Jack Lambert --

Great break down of the two.

I like Carpenter, but thought of him as a RT for us, he is known more for his ability to run block. It doesn't surprise me that he will be trying to win a pro job as an OG.

Another one you might look at would be Marcus Cannon of TCU, but I think he will cost more than he would be worth to us. I'm sure he will end up inside.

AML

Great break down of the two.

I like Carpenter, but thought of him as a RT for us, he is known more for his ability to run block. It doesn't surprise me that he will be trying to win a pro job as an OG.

Another one you might look at would be Marcus Cannon of TCU, but I think he will cost more than he would be worth to us. I'm sure he will end up inside.

I think your right...Carpenter could end up being a RT for someone.

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post

Even though I have Ellis in my mock I really don't think the odds are good that we get him. Even if he is there when we want to go after a NT, would the Steelers take him? I don't know.

A player that you might take a look at to replace him could be Phill Taylor of Baylor. He is the same size as Ellis but not quite as quick. He is extreamly strong squating 665, benching 455, and he has powercleaned 400. He was rated by Phill Steele as one of the top 10 DTs in the nation. I haven't seen Phill yet this year, I haven't even read much about him this year, but he was on my list as possible NTs.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Never even heard of this kid till LLT brought him up, but since then I have read some about him. If what they write is true he is a player that can play either OG, or RT. Large, strong earth mover that loves to knock defensive players to the ground, and its hard to make a tackle from there. Wouldn't be the 1st time a kid has slipped in from a small school and made a big splash.
    Hey Tex - great to see you in full on mock mode already. ( i am off to a much slower start this year)

I am interested to see your thoughts on including 2 CB's in your draft. Over the past two drafts the steelers have taken 3 CB's in Lewis, Burnett and Butler. 4 if you count the trade to get McFadden back. I was thinking that O & D lines might have been the main focus this time around.

Rogers at the back end of the draft with his measureables I can understand, but picking a 5'10 CB in the 2nd round is the one that intrigues me with your thinking. I am guessing he is a bit slight to fit the mould of a steeler CB. I havent seen any footage so I am wondering does he fit the style where he will be asked to play off a bit and cover whilst also being able to put his hand up for run support.

And what is going on with no HAWKEYE'S???? There are some great steeler candidates this year, particularly at DE. I would have loved to see Ballard as your 2nd round pick.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Could just be an over reaction to the last game Aussie, but I really am not happy with the CB situation in Pittsburgh. I am truly hoping the 3 young kids prove me wrong this year. I think we need a CB that can cover a receiver consistently for more that the count of 2. Seems like a team with a very good QB finds a way to chop our secondary up if the gets more that 2 second to throw the ball. Last year we said it was because Troy was gone, well Troy was playing on Sunday and it happened again. Carmichael is a kid that although is not as large as some can tackle, and may be the best cover guy in the draft.

Remember it's still early, and I can still and probably will chance my thinking several times.

One reason I am starting to back off Ballard, just a little, is that I think he is moving into the late 1st, early 2nd round area. I had such hopes that I would finally get a Hawk on this team. Ballard would be a perfect pick for the Steelers and is a Steeler type DE. I just don't think they will go DE in the 1st this year. If they do I would complain.

By the way I do have a few Iowa players rated in another thread, and I think there are a few players there that would be nice fits here.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Thanks Tex.

I can see reasoning now. THe only way we get a shutdown CB is to have a piss poor season and finish with a top 15 pick and land one of the top 2 CB's. I am starting to believe a bit that Le Beau's scheme has a soft spot for a quality TE to always exploit and the WRs are always going to make the odd big reception. I am a bit worried about the D line and its ability to consume blocks to free up our pass rush.

If the season pans out as we all expect then we draft in the back end of the draft again. I could really see the first four rounds producing players covering three positions, DE, OG and OT. I am holding off including NT for another year ( I am going to give McClendon a chance at this point)

As hard as I try I am struggling to piece together any kind of mock that I am happy with

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Okay....here is a draft based on the current rankings of nfldraftscout.com....and also loosely based on us picking at the end of each round.

1) DE Christian Ballard DE Iowa 6'4 298...How happy would you be to see a future of Hood and Ballard?

2) OT/OG Benjamin Ijalana Villanova 6'4 320 - Can play four position on the front.

3) CB Rashad Carmichael Virginia Tech 5'10 182 ...CRAZY fast and good hands (no more 10 yard cushions)

4) Kicker Kai Forbath UCLA 5-11 192....I know...I know...a kicker in the 4th round? But ...he is very good.

5) TE Lee Smith Marshall 6'6 265......good blocking TE with soft hands.

6) NT Anthony Gray Southern Mississippi 6'0 315.....NT prospect who would get a couple of years to back up Big Snack

7) OT/OG Pat Illig Wofford 6'4 310 ....small school player that is getting some looks...over half the teams in the NFL have taken a look at him.

-- Jack Lambert --

I would be very happy with this draft LLT

Ballard IMO in a mirror image of Hood, even in his path to the draft. Those two could anchor a tremendous 3-4 line for years

Ijalana is a kid that could be being over looked by many fan. He could solve a possible problem at RT.

Carmichael You know how I feel about this kid.

Forbath We don't really know what is going to happen with Reed. What if he doesn't back off his salary demands.

Smith This is a kid I would have to list on my most wanted list. Hope we can get him in the 5th

Gray You know I like this kid. A project with a lot of up side IMO

Illig He is intriguing, isn't he.

AML

I would be very happy with this draft LLT

Ballard IMO in a mirror image of Hood, even in his path to the draft. Those two could anchor a tremendous 3-4 line for years

Ijalana is a kid that could be being over looked by many fan. He could solve a possible problem at RT.

Carmichael You know how I feel about this kid.

Forbath We don't really know what is going to happen with Reed. What if he doesn't back off his salary demands.

Smith This is a kid I would have to list on my most wanted list. Hope we can get him in the 5th

Gray You know I like this kid. A project with a lot of up side IMO

Illig He is intriguing, isn't he.
    Thanks Tex....

I need to look into what trades were made to see if we have any extra...or are missing any... picks. I havnt had a chance to look into it yet.

-- Jack Lambert --