Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early Mock

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Re: Early Mock

Now that a few underclassmen have declared we can start to get serious. Here is a start.

1 - DE / JJ. Watts or Cameron Heyward---- I think that one of these two will now be there when we pick.

2 - OT / Danny Watkins or Jason Pinkston---- I've been pushing Pinkston all year but a Watkins is growing on me.

3 - CB / Rashard Carmichael or Curtis Brown---- Yep, I still like Carmichael but am wondering how far down the underclassmen will push Brown.

4 - OG / John Rackley or John Moffitt---- Rackley may end up a better guard but Moffitt will likely be ready to play quicker.

These are the four positions I think we most need to address.

AML

Very nice as usual Tex.

I would still hold up hope that a very good OT falls to us in the first. Every draft that I do has either Gabe Carimi or Demarcus Love available at the end of the first round.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Very nice as usual Tex.

I would still hold up hope that a very good OT falls to us in the first. Every draft that I do has either Gabe Carimi or Demarcus Love available at the end of the first round.
    If that does happen you know you won't hear me bitchin. I went through several mock drafts yesterday and about half of them have us getting Carimi. I just don't get it, I must have that kid way over rated.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    If that does happen you know you won't hear me bitchin. I went through several mock drafts yesterday and about have of them have us getting Carimi. I just don't get it, I must have that kid way over rated.
    I have worked out my own draft several times....and what i see happening is that the strong DE class this year is pushing the rest of the positions down the board....I see A LOT of DE's coming off the board in the 1st round.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

I have worked out my own draft several times....and what i see happening is that the strong DE class this year is pushing the rest of the positions down the board....I see A LOT of DE's coming off the board in the 1st round.
    I have to admit, the two top DEs and two top CB coming out is bound to help us, I guess I'm just use to watching any OT that has a chance of playing on the left side flying off the board. Still a long way to go, and lot of reading to do, and a lot of kids to watch.

AML

I have to admit, the two top DEs and two top CB coming out is bound to help us, I guess I'm just use to watching any OT that has a chance of playing on the left side flying off the board. Still a long way to go, and lot of reading to do, and a lot of kids to watch.
    I get in that same mindset. I keep trying to talk myself into giving a team, like the Bills, an OT..even though there is no chance that they will pass on a Da'Quan Bowers or a Nick Fairley if they are there at #3. (some people have the Bills taking a QB...but I think Fitzgerald threw for 23 TD's and over 3,000 yards after getting the starting nod in week 4).

-- Jack Lambert --

Here are the DE's I see as potential 1st round picks in this draft....

Da'Quan Bowers, DE
    Nick Fairley, DT/DE
    Marcell Dareus, DT/DE
    Robert Quinn, DE
    J.J. Watt, DE
    Adrian Clayborn, DE
    Cameron Jordan, DE
    Cameron Heyward, DE
    Ryan Kerrigan, DE

THAT is one strong class!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

Here are the DE's I see as potential 1st round picks in this draft....

Da'Quan Bowers, DE
    Nick Fairley, DT/DE
    Marcell Dareus, DT/DE
    Robert Quinn, DE
    J.J. Watt, DE
    Adrian Clayborn, DE
    Cameron Jordan, DE
    Cameron Heyward, DE
    Ryan Kerrigan, DE

THAT is one strong class!!!
    Man Perry, I hadn't check the list since mid morning yesterday. I didn't know that Fairley, and Quinn had declared. Things seem to be falling in place for us.

Now I not only like our chances for an OT, but actually having a choice of a couple of DEs. Not to mention that another of our needs, CB is getting help from the 2012 class. I have to wonder if this may even push a couple of very good FSs deeper into the draft. I'm starting to get a little stoked already. We have work to do buddy.

AML

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

If that does happen you know you won't hear me bitchin. I went through several mock drafts yesterday and about half of them have us getting Carimi. I just don't get it, I must have that kid way over rated.
    I'm gonna enjoy Senior Bowl week as ususal. I hope Carimi attends so we can see him isolated a bit. I really think he is just a RT, so kind of a Gosder Cherilus or Phil Loadholt talent. I hope we dont take a guy like that as I think Colon, Chris Scott or Jon Scott can all be the same guy.

There is gonna be a decent Lt prospect there, or else we can go DE and then maybe look to move up in the 2nd and get that OT prospect in the 2nd round.

Man Perry, I hadn't check the list since mid morning yesterday. I didn't know that Fairley, and Quinn had declared. Things seem to be falling in place for us.

Now I not only like our chances for an OT, but actually having a choice of a couple of DEs. Not to mention that another of our needs, CB is getting help from the 2012 class. I have to wonder if this may even push a couple of very good FSs deeper into the draft. I'm starting to get a little stoked already. We have work to do buddy.
    Robert Quinn was ruled permantly inelgible so he was a gimme...Fairley is "reported" to be headed to the draft by sources close to him.

-- Jack Lambert --

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i like Ryan Kerrigan i watch him every week! he has been a beast for the boilers!!! He would make a excellent OLB for some team

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    i like Ryan Kerrigan i watch him every week! he has been a beast for the boilers!!! He would make a excellent OLB for some team
    Thats how I see him being drafted. Either as a DE in a 4-3 system like the Colts...or an outside linbacker for a 3-4 team like the Jets.

-- Jack Lambert --

By the way LLT. Did you notice that Justin Rogers has move into the 4th-5th round area. I'm watching this kid.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    You got an eye for talent buddy. I've like Ryan all year, but have a feeling he won't get past KC.

AML

You got an eye for talent buddy. I've like Ryan all year, but have a feeling he won't get past KC.
    Dont forget about New England...they need an OLB and have the #17 pick this year.

-- Jack Lambert --

Dont forget about New England...they need an OLB and have the #17 pick this year.
    Damn, your right. I hate to think of the Pantywaists getting thier hands on him.

AML

Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State, 6'5 305 lbs (Climbing the rankings quickly)

DE Christian Ballard, Iowa, 6'4 298 lbs (I think everyone loves this guy)

NT Kenrick Ellis, Hampton, 6'5 340 lbs (If his character has improved...he is a force.)

OT/OG James Brewer, Indiana, 6'6 334 lbs (Road grader that could play Guard or RT)

TE Lee Smith, Marshall, 6'6 265 lbs (would immediately be our 2nd best Blocking TE & Receiving TE)

CB Justin Rogers,Richmond, 5'10 182 lbs (had 7 interceptions two years ago...now nobody throws to his side of the field)

OT/OG Pat Illig, Wofford, 6'5 320 lbs (shhhhhhh....one of my super sleeper picks)
    Love that pick. Smith was under used at Marshall this past year and had they thrown to him more they mightve won 2 more games. He is a tremendous blocker and a great reciever.

Quote Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
    Love that pick. Smith was under used at Marshall this past year and had they thrown to him more they mightve won 2 more games. He is a tremendous blocker and a great reciever.
    If we can get an OT in the 1st round...a OG in the 3rd or 4th round...and a blocking TE like Smith in the 5th...I will be VERY happy.

-- Jack Lambert --

Things are way to quiet in here, so I thought I would throw a rock at the hornets nest.
    I use Draft Scouts listing as to what players would be available to us when we pick.

1- Mike Pouncey OG Florida --- One of our starting guards is not very good, the other is stupid. That is two red flags to me and this could be our biggest need. Mike played out of position IMO this year and didn't get to show just how good he is. Last years we got the best center in the draft, this year we get the best OG. Besides, there is just something about line twin brothers up side by side. We might even get another kiss.

2- Danny Watkins OT Baylor---- It is no secret that I have been screaming for a LT for a year or two. Don't care for Starks, and the rest belongs on the practice squad. I still think I would rather have Pinkston but think he may be gone. I watched Danny once and like what I saw, and there are 2 or 3 others here that seem to like him as well. He needs work, but I think can be coached.

3- Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton----- A lot of this pick will hinge on his interview. Will he continue with his off the field problems, or is this all behind him. On the field he is a huge man that will give the OLs he faces several problems. Giving Casey a few more plays off, can only help him. He is getting a little old you know.

4- Keven Sheppard ILB LSU---- LBers are the strength of our defense, by design. We have one of the best that is getting a little bit old, and will not be easy to replace. We either sign one or we draft one. Sheppard is a good player on a good defense.

5- Lee Smith TE Marshall------ I think I have already said everything I need to about Smith. This is the one player I will hang onto till we get him, or don't get him on draft day. As far as line play is concerned, might be our best TE when he comes to camp.

6- Justin Rodgers CB Richmond-- Small school kid that could pay off big. Not a large CB, but does have some speed with a definite nose for the ball.

7- Kai Forbath K UCLA-------- I know we all are fairly happy with the one we just signed, but I am still a little uneasy about the position and want a little competition.

I know there are some here a few of you don't like. let me hear it. Don't let the fact that I am old with a bad heart and extremal sensitive hold you back.

AML

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Nice job Texas. Thanks for making some noise on the forum. Things will pick up heavily after the season, which hopefully won't be until after Feburary.

Mock is pretty good. I don't know if I'd want to take a LT though. Starks still has two years left on his deal and really isn't a bad LT. Not a great one but he's servicable. Watkins is an older guy and in two years he'll be what, 28?

Love the Ellis pick. He's severely flying under the radar right now.

I'm fine if you want to bring in a kicker for competition, but I'll pick one up as a UDFA rather than spend a pick on it.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I watched Rogers this morning after my comments in the only Richmond game I can find. I'm sure he's a ballhawk based off of INT numbers, but I don't think he offers enough against the run to be a viable fit for us. You have to be physical, willing to play the run, and a sound tackler to play CB for us. Here's my notes on him against Virginia in the first game of the year.

- Doesn't play the run well, struggling to get off of WRs blocks. Isn't always willing to stick his neck into the pile.
    - Not a solid tackler, had a couple misses and has a tendency to go high.
    - Looks to have fluid hips, can turn and run without a hitch.
    - Good job of locating passes though couldn't always make a play on them. WR won a jump ball.
    - Played in a variety of different assignments - man coverage, zone, passive, press coverage. More quick twitch than elite straight line speed.
    - Good acceleration and change of direction ability.
    - Mental blunder, attempted to run with a punt after calling a fair catch.
    - Multi-dimensional athlete. Took the team's first offensive snap at WR. Got behind the coverage once on a deep ball but the pass was slightly overthrown. 38 yard punt return. Had an eight yard rush. Three receptions, five rushes, two passes on the season. Kickoff return man for four years, picked up punt return duties this season with 15.
    Last edited by Chidi29; 01-16-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Cleaned Up Post

Thanks Chidi, to be honest, I have not seen see him play, got everything off the internet.

Two CBs did I start the year interested in was Curtis Brown and Rashad Carmichael. Both were better know for pass coverage but could support the run. Neither of them had the year I expected, Carmichael was dinged a lot this year, and both have dropped in the draft, so far. I've read that Curtis could go in the 3rd and Rashad in the 4th. Of course that can all change by draft day.

AML

Not sure if you're able to get espn3 or not, but here's the link to the game if you do and want to check him out. Rogers is #5.

http://espn.go.com/espn3/player?id=3...size=condensed

No I don't get ESPN 3, wish I did. Thanks to the info bud.

AML

I shouldn't do this but why not. I got a fever, and the only prescription is a quick mock.

1. Ben Ijalana/OG Villanova. There will be an adjustment period going from LT to RG which I'm not particularly happy about because I'd like an immediate upgrade at the position next year. But he's a mauling run blocker with good awareness whose only issue is a poor kickslide. That won't be a factor at guard.

2. Kenrick Ellis/NT Hampton. Wasn't really sure where to go with this one. Nothing really jumped out at me. But I've really liked Ellis. A very strong player with a motor that doesn't quit, rare for a guy of his size.

3. Johnny Patrick/CB Louisville. We'll see what happens to Ike Taylor. If he leaves, which I hope and don't think he will, a corner could get taken in round 2. There may be some who think Patrick is early but he's flying under the radar in a deep class. Patrick has good coverage skills, fluid hips who can turn and run. But more importantly, he's a pretty solid tackler who is willing to play the run with a knack for making big plays (see his bowl game performance).

4. Nate Irving/ILB NC State. Farrior is playing as well as ever, but he is 35. Sylvester has shown flashes but he still plays a bit too reckless for my liking. Maybe that is because he's young, but our other rookies aren't playing like them. Irving is a great story, recovering him a severe car crash two years ago. I've only watched him sparingly, but he's a good tackler who can play the run.

5. Anthony Gray/DE Southern Mississpi. NT in college, he'll kick over to end. He just has to constantly be able to get off the ball. He can be a little slow in reacting which leads him to getting blown out. Other than that, he's solid against the run. A guy with good awareness and has even dropped into coverage once or twice in the times I've watched him. Familar with zone concepts.

6. Julius Thomas/TE Portland St. A name I came across the other day. A basketball player in college before his senior season as guys like Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham were. He's probably raw, but I hate having the Kevin Brock/Dez Sherrod/Eugene Bright throw aways on the team.

7. Travis Ford-Bey/OLB West Chester. My super sleeper pick. He's got a really good first step whose numbers who tore it up two years ago. Numbers were down this year but he played LE in the team's 3-4 defense. He'll move to OLB.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I like it Chidi. I like Ijalana and his value will soar come post season workouts.He is the next Brandon Albert / Mike Iupati - sleeper pick in January, board climber in April. Even though it is short an OT I think it hits a lot of areas where the players are a real chance of competing for roster spots and sticking. Good mock.

I will throw at you guys a mock much like the 2008 draft where we were all thrown by the picks. Here is my BPA mock. It will never happen - but how much debate would a draft like this create.

1. Kyle Rudolph TE 6'6 265 Notre Dame - Sticking with the draft philosophy of junior, best player at position and area of miminal draft priority by most fans. Arians will be jumping for joy with the thought of a two headed TE monster for Ben. Miller, Rudolph, Wallace, Sanders, Brown and Mendy in the backfield - Try cover that

2. Jeremy Beal OLB 6'3 265 Oklahoma - In all the fighting for 3-4 DE's one of the premium OLB's in the draft falls to the end of the second round. Dick Le Beau likes to collect LB's and he cannot resist another one.

3. Marcus Cannon - OG / OT 6'5 350 TCU The big guy suffers a bit of the Herman Johnson syndrome. A guy that big cannot be agile enough to play OT in the NFL. Some scouts say that he will.

4. Lee Ziemba OT / OG 6'6 320 Auburn- Time to bring in another O lineman that can swing between tackle and guard.

5. Cedric Thornton DE 6'4 295 Sth Arkansas - Big unit from small school. Hey, we are in the 5th and realistically he is fighting for a practice squad spot ( only WR's and LB's make it from here)

6. Jalil Brown CB 6'0 205 Colorado - Whilst scouting Jimmy Smith they noticed that this guy held up pretty well considering every team tried to pick on him to avoid smith.

7. Chris Neild DT 6'2 302 WVU - No reason to stop adding big bodies to this draft class. We have debated this guy here. I am a fan and he fights for a spot on the practice squad as NT. McClendon will work his way into the 53 for next season so a NT is needed.

I resisted the temptation of drafting a soccer player. They can be found as UDFA's

PSSSSS - dont forget that the east west shrine practices have started. Its starting to warm up.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Believe me, I haven't forgotten. Just wish I could watch the game. It'll only be on the NFL Network and I don't get it. I'm excited about the heights and weights. The obsession is only going to get worse.

Also read about the Eastham All star game on the 23rd. Not sure if it'll be on TV or not, but it's going to have a lot of small school/later round players.

If I can make a fool out of myself, so can you two.

Nice job guys

Chidi

You know I love Ijalana, and don't think he will be there when we pick in the second either. I think he might adjust quicker than you think and could be ready to like up beside Pouncey early in the year. Man would that look good. Hell the guy we have there looks like he is still adjusting anyway.

Patrick is a kid I have been kicking around in my head for over a month now, just couldn't decide where he might land in the draft. He looks to be the draft climber this year. Might come in as our best cover CB, besides Ike. The underclassmen that came in should help us with this one.

Ellis will make any DL better, particularly one that is getting older. I haven't hear of any more off the field problem, and that is a good sign. The only problem is that NTs seem to move up the draft on draft day, but I had him as a 3rd round pick, so your way ahead of me.

Aussie

Good draft IMO, all thought some will give you grief over the TE pick

I do not mind the back to back picks of Cannon and Ziemba at all. I think that they both could end up at guard, but Ziemba could land at RT. How the kids on the practice squad do could dictate want happens there. You know me as well and anyone here, You know I love the big uglies.

Brown look to be falling a little and we could end up with a kid that started in the 4th round, in the 6th round, good eye bud.

I do like the mocks guys. Aussie find me a DE in the first and I might like it better.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

If I can make a fool out of myself, so can you two.

Nice job guys

Chidi

You know I love Ijalana, and don't think he will be there when we pick in the second either. I think he might adjust quicker than you think and could be ready to like up beside Pouncey early in the year. Man would that look good. Hell the guy we have there looks like he is still adjusting anyway.

Patrick is a kid I have been kicking around in my head for over a month now, just couldn't decide where he might land in the draft. He looks to be the draft climber this year. Might come in as our best cover CB, besides Ike. The underclassmen that came in should help us with this one.

Ellis will make any DL better, particularly one that is getting older. I haven't hear of any more off the field problem, and that is a good sign. The only problem is that NTs seem to move up the draft on draft day, but I had him as a 3rd round pick, so your way ahead of me.

Aussie

Good draft IMO, all thought some will give you grief over the TE pick

I do not mind the back to back picks of Cannon and Ziemba at all. I think that they both could end up at guard, but Ziemba could land at RT. How the kids on the practice squad do could dictate want happens there. You know me as well and anyone here, You know I love the big uglies.

Brown look to be falling a little and we could end up with a kid that started in the 4th round, in the 6th round, good eye bud.

I do like the mocks guys. Aussie find me a DE in the first and I might like it better.

Colbert and Tomlin like their first rounders young (weird obsession in another profession...)

so I think that points to JJ Watt or possibly Muhammad Wilkerson (who might climb some boards come April) for you TEX

1. JJ Watt DE
    2. Jeremy Beal OLB
    3. Marcus Cannon - OG / OT
    4. Lee Ziemba OT / OG
    5. Jalil Brown CB
    6. Cameron Graham TE Louisville
    7. Chris Neild DT

Do you like that one a bit better???

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"