Thread: Free Agency time is here.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Free Agency time is here.

Start talking football moves. Trades anyone? Make some offers. Let's talk about something positive for a change. Who's out there that the Steelers need to try to sign? We can talk all day and night about what we don't like about the team/organization but we won't change a thing. Let's move past all that already and build for the draft and next season.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Free Agency time is here.

Tyrann Mathieu is a FA I believe.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I would sign Foster, Fieler, Hilton, Eli Rogers, Alaualu, and Finney of the list of in-house free agents. All that likely takes a large bite out of the 22 million in reported cap space the Steelers have. For instance if those signings only counted an average of $3 million against the 2019 cap, that would be 18 of the 22 million in cap space! Actually the more I think about it, the more I think that the Steelers essentially have zero cap space. Think about it. If you cut Gilbert to make room, you need a starting RT. Say that is Fieler -- well now you have to pay him like a starter. So how much of Gilbert's cap savings do you turn right around and give to Fieler?

Maybe Colbert and Omar Khan can do some moving of dollars around with restructures and extensions, but I don't see how you sign the 6 internal FA I listed above AND sign a significant external addition with only 22 million in cap space. Unless the cap sheet looks even better in 2020 and you can move money forward somehow in multi-year deals?

Assuming that cap money can be made to grow on trees; then here we go:

1. Pass rush. The big "prizes" if they all hit the open market would be Frank Clark (a DE conversion), Dee Ford, and Clowney. I suspect none of those see the open market and if they do they are looking at $15 million plus per year and are out of the Steelers price range. The next wave is guys in their late 20's that maybe need another situation to succeed? These are guys like Shaq Barrett and Za'Darius Smith. Although I am not sure that the NFL has demonstrated that they are really different than Bud Dupree and they may command 5-10 million on a FA market that always overpays for pass rushers! Another idea is Clay Matthews. The winds of change are blowing in Green Bay and Matthews is 33+ and just got paid 13 million. I am not sure the new regime gives him another contract. But he still has some pass rush juice. He needs to play in a rotation at this point and is not the overall LB he once was, but what if he lingers on the FA market and is willing to take a lesser deal? Rotation of him and Dupree (cut and resigned to a deal worth 50% of his current 5th year option) with Toledo Alphabet soup in the Chickillo role might not suck...

2. Now I'm looking to shore up the DBs. And honestly, this is not gonna be easy. The available CB "talent" (if we even want to use that word) is either old or a 20 something FA for a reason (the reason is the players are not good). So we gotta start rummaging through the bargain bin or the change of scenery bin. In doing so I come up with three names: Morris Claiborne (sell him that he can at least win some games here and the Jets are 1-3 years away from saying the same thing), Bashaud Breeland (he should have been signed this season, but that is another tale of woe), and Jason Verett (assuming he still has any ligaments left in his lower extremities). These guys will all cost a shocking amount of money and come with SERIOUS question marks in regards to injuries (almost constant for Claiborne and Vereet) and why they tend to play well and then play horrible (Breeland), but it isn't like great CBs just show up on the market all that often, so beggars can't be choosers!

3. Now I'm looking at offensive skill players. I sign another RB. Honestly, looking at the list, just pick someone. Hope to hit on a diamond in the rough and draft someone too. For WRs, I'm going to make the assumption (because it is the easiest) that AB stays and everyone holds hands and sings kumbaya by warm weather. Here, I bring a couple of guys to camp and a draft pick where I am hoping to just hit on a dart throw. Corey Coleman, Breshard Perriman, Chester Rogers, Marcell Ateman, and Geronimo Allison are all the types of players I look at here. All have question marks and not sure what the fit would be like, but if they come CHEAP and exhibit NFL level tools, they can play the Justin Hunter roster spot? Finally, I sign at least one cheap and young TE that can run. Hope he shows in camp that he can also block and hang on to the ball. In my scenario James and Grimble are not retained.

That is my initial thoughts. I simply do not believe there will be the money available to do much of that unfortunately. Unless the team starts the restructure game HARD.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

So you are counting on $4-$5 Million in cap space to spend in FA if my math is right. To me that screams somebody will not be back from that list you made. Maybe 2 somebodies. I don’t think James or Grimble will both be back either. Not with Hodges and McGee coming off IR and the depth of TE in this draft. This is a down year for CBs in both the draft and FA, IMO. Trying to trade for one of the premier guys may be the best route after all. My current stance is we should get a CB by FA or trade. Draft for edge/DL, and ILB. I think if we do this right it could be a very boring draft weekend for the Steelers. But excitement once TC starts.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    So you are counting on $4-$5 Million in cap space to spend in FA if my math is right. To me that screams somebody will not be back from that list you made. Maybe 2 somebodies. I don’t think James or Grimble will both be back either. Not with Hodges and McGee coming off IR and the depth of TE in this draft. This is a down year for CBs in both the draft and FA, IMO. Trying to trade for one of the premier guys may be the best route after all. My current stance is we should get a CB by FA or trade. Draft for edge/DL, and ILB. I think if we do this right it could be a very boring draft weekend for the Steelers. But excitement once TC starts.
    Yeah. I can't seem to get the math to really work. One version is that there is only that 4-5 million another version is that they cut, restructure, and extend and "ta-da" cap space!

But I honestly think this will be a down year for the Steelers in FA. I think they went "all in" last 2 and it didn't work. I think they are going to need to reload via the draft and bank on guys like Edmunds, Watt, and Davis ascending to another level. Honestly, the only place you can carve out cap space, is along the offensive line. And Pouncey, Decastro, and AV aren't going anywhere. In another version of this roster, I would strongly argue for cutting Haden or forcing him to play for reduced money, but that isn't possible since it his him and a wasteland at CB.

Long story short, I think they sign their own guys and then bargain hunt and hope for better results than Bostic and Burnett provided.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

upcoming surgeries

Switzer & Chickillo - ankle

Hargrave- unknown

There are a few FAs that, if cap space were available, I would love to see wear the Steeler's black and gold.

C - Matt Paradis. I know not even a priority but he is arguably the best center in the NFL.
    WR - Golden Tate. This guy would absolutely shine in this offense, IMO.
    TE - C.J. Uzomah. Maybe not top of the list but still an upgrade over James or Grimble, IMO.
    ILB - Kevin Minter or C.J. Mosley. Minter is a much better backup for VW than Matakevich. Mosley, well we all know C.J. Mosley.
    OLB - Jadeveon Clowney or Dee Ford. Chances are neither will see FA. Let a fan dream until they get re-signed.
    CB - Bradley Roby or Bashaud Breeland. Tops of the FA class, IMO. Either would be instant upgrades in this secondary.
    FS - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. A true 'center field' FS that tackles well.
    CB/S - Marcus Cooper. A fast cover CB that the Steelers showed interest in last offseason. Has played behind some pretty good CBs in his career. Would make an instant upgrade at RCB here.

The cap space rankings guide has the Steelers at $28,646,319 with $246,183 dead money. That ranks 20th on the list of teams.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    There are a few FAs that, if cap space were available, I would love to see wear the Steeler's black and gold.

C - Matt Paradis. I know not even a priority but he is arguably the best center in the NFL.
    WR - Golden Tate. This guy would absolutely shine in this offense, IMO.
    TE - C.J. Uzomah. Maybe not top of the list but still an upgrade over James or Grimble, IMO.
    ILB - Kevin Minter or C.J. Mosley. Minter is a much better backup for VW than Matakevich. Mosley, well we all know C.J. Mosley.
    OLB - Jadeveon Clowney or Dee Ford. Chances are neither will see FA. Let a fan dream until they get re-signed.
    CB - Bradley Roby or Bashaud Breeland. Tops of the FA class, IMO. Either would be instant upgrades in this secondary.
    FS - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. A true 'center field' FS that tackles well.
    CB/S - Marcus Cooper. A fast cover CB that the Steelers showed interest in last offseason. Has played behind some pretty good CBs in his career. Would make an instant upgrade at RCB here.
    I could live with Juju and Golden Tate as the 1-2 (with an upgraded defense).

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I could live with Juju and Golden Tate as the 1-2 (with an upgraded defense).
    I'm hoping JuJu will be our "Hines Ward", and James Washington can become our "Plaxico Burress". I also hope AB just keeps on doing what he does because he does it better than everyone else. Golden Tate would be icing on the cake. Offense may not be on most radars on this forum but in the NFL if you are not moving forward you are falling behind. Tate offers another quality piece to an already very good offense. You only need 1 more point than the other team after all. McDonald has brought some excitement that James just never did. Conner and Samuels have been a pretty good combo. The only thing I can see this offense has lacked is consistency. Golden Tate has been a definition of consistent.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Here's a FA listing by position:

http://nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-free-agents-list/