Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Coaching Carousel Has Begun

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: The Coaching Carousel Has Begun

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Butler’s contract is up next season so it makes it easy to get rid of him. Tomlin is 2020, I believe. Not sure when asshole’s contract is up.
    Tomlin's contract is through 2020

https://steelersdepot.com/2017/08/re...act-extension/

Steelers traditionally extend the HC with 2 years left on the contract.

Early indication that 2019 is win or else for Tomlin will be if AJRII does not extend Tomlin this summer

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Bowles apparently not a sure thing yet (Bears still have a shot), but Arians is bringing Byron Leftwich. So, if Bowles does indeed join the band is back together.
    Dirt bag move by Arians to take that Bucs job btw

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    To be clear asshole is English for Danny Smith.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

On the same page as you, my friend.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Dirt bag move by Arians to take that Bucs job btw
    How do you mean... because he came out of retirement a 2nd time for a HC job?

btw, Arians was on the radio this afternoon saying how great it was to be back with Bowles, so no traction to the earlier report of Bears interest. If not, that would be kind of awkward.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I would go to the Bucs or the Fins. Great weather and have no place to go but up.

ARII better think about the value of his franchise if he cannot stop all the drama.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    How do you mean... because he came out of retirement a 2nd time for a HC job?

btw, Arians was on the radio this afternoon saying how great it was to be back with Bowles, so no traction to the earlier report of Bears interest. If not, that would be kind of awkward.
    He was still under contract with the Cardinals when he retired. Said he never would coach again. Then he cane out and said the only way he would coach again would be Cleveland and now here we are, he’s in Tampa as a head coach after royally fucking over the Cardinals.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

He was still under contract with the Cardinals when he retired. Said he never would coach again. Then he cane out and said the only way he would coach again would be Cleveland and now here we are, he’s in Tampa as a head coach after royally fucking over the Cardinals.
    This too

Also complicating the Arians situation is that he is a member of the NFL Career Development Advisory Panel, meaning he is supposedly helping young coaches get ahead in the profession while simultaneously stumping for some jobs those coaches might want.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bruce-arian...155031307.html

Jets expected to hire Adam Gase as HC

https://es.pn/2FlqqJV

Good luck with that Jets

Looks like no new job for Mike McCarthy since he allegedly was shooting for Jets or bust

So that leaves Dolphins and Bengals? Guess you seek the Bengals job if you struck out for the other HC vacancies and really want to be a HC.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Good luck with that Jets

Looks like no new job for Mike McCarthy since he allegedly was shooting for Jets or bust

So that leaves Dolphins and Bengals? Guess you seek the Bengals job if you struck out for the other HC vacancies and really want to be a HC.
    Hmmmm...Gase or Mcarthy. Maybe Mcarthys not great but it seems to me he's a lot better than Gase. Then again McCarthy had a lot more to work with.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Good luck with that Jets

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

HIRED:

Green Bay - Matt LaFleur
    NY Jets - Adam Gase
    Tampa Bay - HC Bruce Arians, OC Byron Leftwich, DC Todd Bowles
    Denver - HC Vic Fangio, OC Gary Kubiak
    Arizona - Kliff Kingsbury
    Cleveland - Freddie Kitchens

STILL SHOPPING:

Bengals - Eric Bienemy, Zac Taylor, Vance Joseph
    Miami - Eric Bienemy, Brian Flores, Kris Richard

FIRED Coaches HIRED elsewhere:

Koetter - ATL OC
    Bowles - Tampa DC
    Kubiak - Denver OC

As for Options at DC for Pittsburgh should the franchise wise up and fire Keith Butler who has been out of his depths since being promoted:
    Gregg Williams - Formerly Cleveland
    Todd Grantham - Florida
    Brent Venables - Clemson

NOTEWORTHY: Mike McCarthy is going to set out a year after missing out on the JETS position in 2019.

QUESTION: How are Pete Carmichael (NO OC) & Mike Nolan (LB Coach NO) not being considered for positions?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BEERgods225 View Post
    HIRED:

QUESTION: How are Pete Carmichael (NO OC) & Mike Nolan (LB Coach NO) not being considered for positions?
    I'm not sure about Carmichael, I think he gets overlooked by Sean Payton and Drew Brees. Mike Nolan isn't getting consideration because he was given an opportunity to be head coach, and he was terrible

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

This too

Also complicating the Arians situation is that he is a member of the NFL Career Development Advisory Panel, meaning he is supposedly helping young coaches get ahead in the profession while simultaneously stumping for some jobs those coaches might want.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bruce-arian...155031307.html
    He will likely hire his son Jake for a coaching position, so that is helping young coaches get ahead in the profession.

I will forecast 45 sacks for Winston this upcoming season and missing 3 games due to injury. BA loves to expose his QB's to the rush while throwing the deep ball. Gonna be fun to watch that guy do his thing....as long as not in Pittsburgh again.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Hmmmm...Gase or Mcarthy. Maybe Mcarthys not great but it seems to me he's a lot better than Gase. Then again McCarthy had a lot more to work with.
    The fad right now is "coaches that relate best to my young QB and can turn him into 2nd year Jared Goff or 2nd year Pat Mahomes". That is why a guy like Gase, that lost the Miami locker room is getting another gig.

Its a departure from 10 years ago when the fad was "hire a defensive minded coach that aggressively gets to the QB" and Steve Spagnolo, Jim Haslett, Jim Schwartz, Rex Ryan, got their shots.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The fad right now is "coaches that relate best to my young QB and can turn him into 2nd year Jared Goff or 2nd year Pat Mahomes". That is why a guy like Gase, that lost the Miami locker room is getting another gig.

Its a departure from 10 years ago when the fad was "hire a defensive minded coach that aggressively gets to the QB" and Steve Spagnolo, Jim Haslett, Jim Schwartz, Rex Ryan, got their shots.
    Well if the Browns are doing it...... LOL

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Only Gase has never developed a young quarterback. Manning, Cutler, Tannehill, Cutler, Osweiler...that’s the list of QBs that Gase has had. Where’s the “coach relating to the young guy”? He went out of his way to bring Cutler back to the NFL when Tannehill got injured so he didn’t have to deal with a young QB...lol.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Bengals supposed are in holding waiting on Rams QB coach. These teams are going crazy trying to hit the jackpot. Good for the Browns and the Bengals for hiring guys that have no experience running more than a popsicle stand.

They both maybe alright but it seems like a big gamble to jump from RB coach to HC(hey maybe that is what SaXon wants) or QB coach to HC

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Bengals supposed are in holding waiting on Rams QB coach. These teams are going crazy trying to hit the jackpot. Good for the Browns and the Bengals for hiring guys that have no experience running more than a popsicle stand.

They both maybe alright but it seems like a big gamble to jump from RB coach to HC(hey maybe that is what SaXon wants) or QB coach to HC

I need to figure out how to claim I once stood in a check out line with Sean McVay so I can be hired as a NFL HC

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I really like how you always show Danny Smith some love.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I really like how you always show Danny Smith some love.
    Lol

Good summary in one tweet of how dysfunctional the NFL HC hiring process is

Last edited by AtlantaDan; 01-11-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Added King tweets

Jeez...what’s that say? Lol

Only Gase has never developed a young quarterback. Manning, Cutler, Tannehill, Cutler, Osweiler...that’s the list of QBs that Gase has had. Where’s the “coach relating to the young guy”? He went out of his way to bring Cutler back to the NFL when Tannehill got injured so he didn’t have to deal with a young QB...lol.
    The talk has been that "Cutler had his best years in the NFL with Gase" and "Manning resurrected his career after injury under Gase", etc. I think he is gonna be another guy fired in 2 seasons.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Anyone else just shaking their heads at how underwhelming many of the hires have been, especially at the coordinator level? It is just recycling a number of "name" guys that have a track record of underwhelming average or even outright failure at previous NFL stops.

I refuse to believe that the best OC someone could come up with was Darrell Bevel. Like there is no one, anywhere, calling a fresh offense? Same on the defensive side of the ball. Just a bunch of dudes who have been calling defenses that yield yards and points.

Recently when NFL teams have had the courage to go outside the normal list and source of guys, it has worked out fairly well.

Yes. Very much so. I thought they were all done out of panic and done too quickly. I’m not even sure they took the Rooney Rule into consideration on some of them...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yes. Very much so. I thought they were all done out of panic and done too quickly. I’m not even sure they took the Rooney Rule into consideration on some of them...
    Same thoughts here. I guess you and I can be crazy together.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Anyone else just shaking their heads at how underwhelming many of the hires have been, especially at the coordinator level? It is just recycling a number of "name" guys that have a track record of underwhelming average or even outright failure at previous NFL stops.

I refuse to believe that the best OC someone could come up with was Darrell Bevel. Like there is no one, anywhere, calling a fresh offense? Same on the defensive side of the ball. Just a bunch of dudes who have been calling defenses that yield yards and points.

Recently when NFL teams have had the courage to go outside the normal list and source of guys, it has worked out fairly well.
    Frank Reich is probably the best hire out of last year’s HC hires... and, it took the Colts having McDaniels bail on them for Reich to even get a chance.

The search for HCs reminds me of Twitter: the person who reacts first is not necessarily the person who actually gets it correct.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Frank Reich is probably the best hire out of last year’s HC hires... and, it took the Colts having McDaniels bail on them for Reich to even get a chance.

The search for HCs reminds me of Twitter: the person who reacts first is not necessarily the person who actually gets it correct.
    Pretty much.