Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Munchak Name Is Floating As HC Again

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Mike Munchak Name Is Floating As HC Again

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    He's probably glad to get out of Pittsburgh with all the BS going on.
    Not sure why, since he's just going to be a lightning rod for Elway's shitty decisions as GM. And then there's the whole ongoing cluster with team ownership.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not sure why, since he's just going to be a lightning rod for Elway's shitty decisions as GM. And then there's the whole ongoing cluster with team ownership.
    YEah. Denver isn’t a great situation. Who plays QB? The defense is aging. And if Kubrick is gonna be the OC, why not just make him the head coach — it is who ELway wants anyways.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Yeah, Elway is a royal jackass.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    YEah. Denver isn’t a great situation. Who plays QB? The defense is aging. And if Kubrick is gonna be the OC, why not just make him the head coach — it is who ELway wants anyways.
    Perhaps a light will go on in Elway's head and they bring Osweiler back for a 3rd go-round (on an inflated salary, of course).

About the only thing Denver has going for it as a prospective NFL coaching destination at the moment is being a great place to live.

Advice for Munchak: rent, don't buy, particularly if Elway continues to draft guys like Paxton Lynch in the first round.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Perhaps a light will go on in Elway's head and they bring Osweiler back for a 3rd go-round (on an inflated salary, of course).

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Doubtful someone in Munchak’s position is going to get the hotter vacancies such as Cleveland or Green Bay so it depends if at age 58 he thinks his rep is as good as it is going to get for a HC job at his age so you take what you can

I think Elway would hire Kubiak as HC if it were not for Kubiak having quit coaching two years ago due to health problems, which makes it preferable to bring him back initially as OC (Kubiak also allegedly is on the Falcons wish list to replace the hapless OC Steve Sarkasian who the Falcons canned this week)

If Kubiak is OC the new HC in Denver will know who his replacement probably will be if Elway pulls the trigger again

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

About the only thing Denver has going for it as a prospective NFL coaching destination at the moment is being a great place to live.

Advice for Munchak: rent, don't buy, particularly if Elway continues to draft guys like Paxton Lynch in the first round.
    Munchak has family there and given the current culture in Pgh, I think it is probably worth the risk.

I would imagine he is disgusted with what is going on here.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Munchak has family there and given the current culture in Pgh, I think it is probably worth the risk.

He has other offers also, I'm sure he'll take one of them. He has a good excuse to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post

If he wants to more than likely be looking for another job in 2 years, I guess.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Lots of these guys have enough who to think they can fix it and be the man

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

.....or retire with a head coach golden parachute. One last big pay day and if it doesn’t work out, ride off into the sunset with a fat wallet.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Doubtful someone in Munchak’s position is going to get the hotter vacancies such as Cleveland or Green Bay so it depends if at age 58 he thinks his rep is as good as it is going to get for a HC job at his age so you take what you can

I think Elway would hire Kubiak as HC if it were not for Kubiak having quit coaching two years ago due to health problems, which makes it preferable to bring him back initially as OC (Kubiak also allegedly is on the Falcons wish list to replace the hapless OC Steve Sarkasian who the Falcons canned this week)

If Kubiak is OC the new HC in Denver will know who his replacement probably will be if Elway pulls the trigger again
    I think a "fit" for a coach like Munch would be with the Jets. You have a young QB in Darnold already. Build an OL to protect him and give him a decent run game. Grab your buddy Todd Haley. Now you have a workable offense. Hire a "Greg Williams" type to run the defense. I think in a couple years that team could be leaders in that AFC East. Brady IS on his way out soon. Some team will rise to the top after that. I think it will be the one in green. And the coach that has the best men in the trenches in an otherwise very soft division.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think a "fit" for a coach like Munch would be with the Jets. You have a young QB in Darnold already. Build an OL to protect him and give him a decent run game. Grab your buddy Todd Haley. Now you have a workable offense. Hire a "Greg Williams" type to run the defense. I think in a couple years that team could be leaders in that AFC East. Brady IS on his way out soon. Some team will rise to the top after that. I think it will be the one in green. And the coach that has the best men in the trenches in an otherwise very soft division.
    Any owner or GM that puts Todd Haley in charge of the development of 2nd year QB should be drug out into the street and tarred and feathered.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Any owner or GM that puts Todd Haley in charge of the development of 2nd year QB should be drug out into the street and tarred and feathered.
    OK, that's fair. That was just the first name that popped into my head Munch might call. Maybe Whisenhunt would be a better name. But do you think I am off about the situation he could have with the Jets?

OK, that's fair. That was just the first name that popped into my head Munch might call. Maybe Whisenhunt would be a better name. But do you think I am off about the situation he could have with the Jets?
    Yes. The new blueprint for NFL molding of young QBs is to hire a HC with playcalling or offensive “guru” chops. That way until you fire the HC, you can not alter the QBs development by having an OC get poached for a better offer.

Munch needs a veteran team without a young QB in the early stages of development. So that leaves Tampa and Denver.

Yes. The new blueprint for NFL molding of young QBs is to hire a HC with playcalling or offensive “guru” chops. That way until you fire the HC, you can not alter the QBs development by having an OC get poached for a better offer.

Munch needs a veteran team without a young QB in the early stages of development. So that leaves Tampa and Denver.
    I get you. So you think it would go the same as it did for Munch in Tennessee with Jake Locker then? You're probably right. I still think there is going to be a change in the AFC East coming soon. From what I hear from analysts and other talking heads is Miami is a football wasteland, and Buffalo just seems as cursed as Cleveland has been, maybe more cursed. One of the best teams ever assembled couldn't bring home the trophy. Once Brady has retired I think the owner/coach relationship damage in NE will come to a head quickly and Bill will be gone too.

I get you. So you think it would go the same as it did for Munch in Tennessee with Jake Locker then? You're probably right. I still think there is going to be a change in the AFC East coming soon. From what I hear from analysts and other talking heads is Miami is a football wasteland, and Buffalo just seems as cursed as Cleveland has been, maybe more cursed. One of the best teams ever assembled couldn't bring home the trophy. Once Brady has retired I think the owner/coach relationship damage in NE will come to a head quickly and Bill will be gone too.
    I agree that the AFC East is a few years away from big changes. The JEts are assembling talent and cap space. The Pats are just looking older and slower every year. The Bills seem to have the beginnings of a plan and platform to build form and seem keen to cut deadwood. Miami, just seems rudderless and without direction.

Munch just doesnt seem like the guy to shepherded a young QB along. He isn’t a play caller. He isn’t a scheme guy. I think he would insulate his QB well from expectations and do his best (which is really good) to build a OL wall in front of him. But that just doesnt seem to be what the NFL wants anymore. It seems to be that the steps are draft a QB and then find your Mcveigh for that QB. Nagy and Trubisky is the best example besides McVeigh and Goff. Nagy is making Trubisky functional. Take that kids slow decision making and poor mechanics/fundamentals and pair him with another OC/HC and it just isn’t going to go as well. Reid and Mahoney is another. And it seems that Mayfield and Kitchens (of all people) is another example. I read somewhere that the BRowns are going to interview him for the HC job based on how well he ran the offense post Hugh Jackson.

It isn’t so much that I don’t think Munch could do it. It is more that I don’t think anyone wants to let him try.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Denver news outlets are reporting the Denver job is between Munch and Vic Fangio (Bears Def Coord).

Munch must be the front runner because he's staying in Denver until they decide. He'll get the job in Denver and probably take Starrett with him.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Report: John Elway is choosing between Vic Fangio and Mike Munchak

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2019

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-mike-munchak/

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Report: John Elway is choosing between Vic Fangio and Mike Munchak

Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2019

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-mike-munchak/
    Article seems to lean to Fangio. If Munchak doesn't get the job, then who is the next target team for Munch?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I agree that the AFC East is a few years away from big changes. The JEts are assembling talent and cap space. The Pats are just looking older and slower every year. The Bills seem to have the beginnings of a plan and platform to build form and seem keen to cut deadwood. Miami, just seems rudderless and without direction.

Munch just doesnt seem like the guy to shepherded a young QB along. He isn’t a play caller. He isn’t a scheme guy. I think he would insulate his QB well from expectations and do his best (which is really good) to build a OL wall in front of him. But that just doesnt seem to be what the NFL wants anymore. It seems to be that the steps are draft a QB and then find your Mcveigh for that QB. Nagy and Trubisky is the best example besides McVeigh and Goff. Nagy is making Trubisky functional. Take that kids slow decision making and poor mechanics/fundamentals and pair him with another OC/HC and it just isn’t going to go as well. Reid and Mahoney is another. And it seems that Mayfield and Kitchens (of all people) is another example. I read somewhere that the BRowns are going to interview him for the HC job based on how well he ran the offense post Hugh Jackson.

It isn’t so much that I don’t think Munch could do it. It is more that I don’t think anyone wants to let him try.
    For every nagy and mcviegh there's a ,Tomsula, McAdoo and a Koetter. But I do see where teams constantly highering your OC away makes it hard as a Defensive HC but this too will change when there are more Tomsula, McAdoo and Koetter. I think kitchens is setup for failure, he has no experience like that. The guy from USC could flop easily. A few OC busts and things will swing back . Heck if Chicago and Rams come back to earth a little too when teams figure out their scheme better

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Well, if Munch does go, I at least hope the OL dosen't devolve into a complete shitshow again...

Well, if Munch does go, I at least hope the OL doesn't devolve into a complete shitshow again...
    If Munch does get the job and takes Starrett with him, I'd hope Faneca would be an option. Even if Munch goes and Sterrett stays, I'd still consider Faneca. I don't like the idea of promising jobs to people when there may be better options available.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

If Munch does get the job and takes Starrett with him, I'd hope Faneca would be an option. Even if Munch goes and Sterrett stays, I'd still consider Faneca.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

If Munch does get the job and takes Starrett with him, I'd hopeFaneca would be an option. Even if Munch goes and Sterrett stays, I'd still consider Faneca. I don't like the idea of promising jobs to people when there may be better options available.
    Yeah, I don't think Munchak is gonna get the Denver gig, but if he moves on I would hope they look at somebody other than Sarrett.

As I said earlier, Stacy Searels was just let go with all the Miami Fl staff when Mark Richt retired. He has been regarded as one of the best O line coaches in college for a while. I would interview him if he had any interest in NFL. He blocked for Bo Jackson at Auburn, coached Andrew Witworth, Cordy Glenn and other NFL O linemen when he was in college.

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

I am thinking about it but I don't think I could do it. I bleed back & gold. I'll root for Denver when they play New England & the Raiders.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Interesting argument for Fangio in the article

The pros to hiring Fangio: The Broncos may strike gold with a version of Bruce Arians, who worked for years as an assistant before getting a chance with Arizona, where he went 49-30 in five years

IMO a franchise that has won three Super Bowls would not regard going 1-2 in the playoffs with two playoff appearances over a 5 year period as "striking gold" anymore than the Steelers are satisfied with Tomlin's performance over the past 5 seasons

Successful franchises have higher expectations than that - I am pretty sure Elway does