Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Munchak Name Is Floating As HC Again

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Mike Munchak Name Is Floating As HC Again

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Promote him to asst HC and raise his salary accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    That's a good idea.
    An even better idea would be to promote him to Head Coach!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Has there been any word on the status of Butler or Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Has there been any word on the status of Butler or Smith?
    Unfortunately, nothing on that at all.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What qualities would Munch bring to the table?

OL coaching and? It wasn’t good last time. He doesn’t coordinate offense or defense. He doesn’t build rosters.

I just don’t see it. But I don’t run NFL teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    What qualities would Munch bring to the table?

OL coaching and? It wasn’t good last time. He doesn’t coordinate offense or defense. He doesn’t build rosters.

I just don’t see it. But I don’t run NFL teams.

Tomlin was a DBs coach with one year as a coordinator for a 6-10 team

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach with one final year as DBs coach for the Eagles

Both turned out OK after allegedly hitting their job interviews out of the park

Teams may want a HC who can communicate with players (the Steelers OL loves Munchak and has been drama free unlike the rest of the offense) and can hire an OC & DC who can do their jobs without worrying about the HC always looming over their shoulder. Just my best guess he could be a fit for an organization where the front office has a lot of clout (such as Elway in Denver)

Add to that there are once again a lot of vacancies without a lot of obvious candidates (for example Lincoln Riley got a new deal at Oklahoma) and I can see why teams are at least kicking the tires on Munchak by giving interviews

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Tomlin was a DBs coach with one year as a coordinator for a 6-10 team

John Harbaugh was a special teams coach with one final year as DBs coach for the Eagles

Both turned out OK after allegedly hitting their job interviews out of the park

Teams may want a HC who can communicate with players (the Steelers OL loves Munchak and has been drama free unlike the rest of the offense) and can hire an OC & DC who can do their jobs without worrying about the HC always looming over their shoulder. Just my best guess he could be a fit for an organization where the front office has a lot of clout (such as Elway in Denver)

Add to that there are once again a lot of vacancies without a lot of obvious candidates (for example Lincoln Riley got a new deal at Oklahoma) and I can see why teams are at least kicking the tires on Munchak by giving interviews
    You’re not wrong. I just don’t get it. All the recent HC hires that have dramatically improved teams brought either a defensive or most commonly an offensive system. Munch has to hit two hires out of the park. Odds are not in your favor there. Difillipo was a universally lauded hire in Minnesota and he absolutely stunk.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You’re not wrong. I just don’t get it. All the recent HC hires that have dramatically improved teams brought either a defensive or most commonly an offensive system. Munch has to hit two hires out of the park. Odds are not in your favor there. Difillipo was a universally lauded hire in Minnesota and he absolutely stunk.

Agreed Munchak would not be my first choice but when you have 8 vacancies not everyone gets their first choice.

FWIW this article on former HCs most likely to get another shot at HC does not include Munchak (but does include BA)

It’s weird out there, a lot of familiar names are going to pop up again and Bruce Arians likes all the jobs.

With the absence of a star college coach like David Shaw, Lincoln Riley or Brian Kelly ascending to the professional ranks for now (more on that down below), the prevailing theme during the mad interview dash so far has been assessing the crop of second-time candidates. Two reasons why: First, because there isn’t a massive wave of qualified first-time candidates out there, and second, because there’s usually a mistake or two made when nearly a quarter of the league gets fired at once.

So let’s size up that group in a top-five ranking...

1. Vance Joseph...
    2. Mike McCarthy...
    3. Josh McDaniels...
    4. Adam Gase...
    T5. Todd Bowles...
    T5. Bruce Arians

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/02/nf...-mike-mccarthy

I do not get Vance Joseph leading that list since I never figured out why Denver hired him and could certainly see Munchak being hired over Joseph, Bowles or BA.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I do not get Vance Joseph leading that list since I never figured out why Denver hired him and could certainly see Munchak being hired over Joseph, Bowles or BA.
    Yeah, I don't get Joseph, Gase or Bowles getting HC gig, but somebody is gonna give at least 2 of them a shot. BA has a track record and I can see it, but not sure the Browns will go that way.

Gase lost the locker room and hitched his wagon to Tannehill. I give him 3 strikes for those moves and he seems like a lame duck.

Munchak too I think is a good teacher, but not so much of a leader IMO. He may get another shot just because of the market. On that note, Stacy Seareals just got let go as O line coach at Miami FL. He is one of the better O line coaches in college and has coached guys like Andrew Witworth, Stephen Peterman and Cordy Glenn. He has never coached in the NFL, but was drafted by the Chargers after he finished his career at Auburn when he blocked for Bo Jackson.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Munchak had garbage at QB in Tennessee. His players loved him... and played hard for him. It’s like Chuck Noll said when he arrived in Pittsburgh: “You guy play your hearts out... but, you’re just not any good.”

I do not want Munchak yo leave, but I wish him the very best if he does. Furthermore, his teams will play hard and be well-coached, but (like most coaches) his QB will ultimately determine his win-loss record.

As far as Tomlin goes... In Tampa Bay, he turned a good secondary into a championship-level secondary. (Too bad he cannot do the same here.) In Minnesota, he had the #1 ranked defense on a team that was 6-10 (think about how difficult it is to rank #1 on defense when on a losing team). But, Yes, Tomlin’s performance as a coach got him in the room, while his interview got him the job.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Wherever Munch goes, I'll be a fan of that team (sans NE and Balt).

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Wherever Munch goes, I'll be a fan of that team (sans NE and Balt).
    Me, too.

I” want to play for him.

So let’s size up that group in a top-five ranking...

1. Vance Joseph...
    2. Mike McCarthy...
    3. Josh McDaniels...
    4. Adam Gase...
    T5. Todd Bowles...
    T5. Bruce Arians

Seriously, there's no way that Gase or Jospeh even sniff a HC job. Bowles is a bit of a stretch, but possible.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Me, too.

I” want to play for him.
    Munchak is a reportedly great teacher...but the scouting report on YOU is that you are a heavy legged waist bender that would rather sum up your position than establish one. YOU have no chance sir.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Seriously, there's no way that Gase or Jospeh even sniff a HC job. Bowles is a bit of a stretch, but possible.
    A bad market for owners hiring coaches can be a good market for those who might be marginal candidates in other seasons

Even though he was fired on Monday morning by the Dolphins, Adam Gase is going to be a hot coaching candidate in a year where there are lots of openings and not a ton of really high-profile, viable candidates for those jobs. To wit: he's already getting buzz in both Denver and Cleveland as the next head coach in those spots.
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...in-owners-ear/

And people wonder why there are bad teams that are consistently bad. Just recycling other franchises mistakes because they have the label as "NFL Coach".

DO SOMETHING NEW THAT WILL HELP YOUR FRANCHISE WIN FOOTBALL GAMES! YOU RISK AVERSE COWARDS!

Ok. I feel better now.

That being said, the Steelers will fire Butler and hire some "tried and true" DC candidate who will trot out the same defensive schemes that are currently being gouged across the NFL landscape.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Munchak is a reportedly great teacher...but the scouting report on YOU is that you are a heavy legged waist bender that would rather sum up your position than establish one. YOU have no chance sir.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Some think he can make the move to defense. He would be another camp body to compete with Chickillo for a roster spot. Teegre has a good motor and will get hustle and cleanup sacks but was tight in the hips and was incapable of the necessary bend and body lean at the edge with no lower body explosion to consistently get to the quarterback. He's projected as a special teams player and a spot OLB in a 3-4.

My gut says he doesn't make the 53.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Some think he can make the move to defense. He would be another camp body to compete with Chickillo for a roster spot. Teegre has a good motor and will get hustle and cleanup sacks but was tight in the hips and was incapable of the necessary bend and body lean at the edge with no lower body explosion to consistently get to the quarterback. He's projected as a special teams player and a spot OLB in a 3-4.

I might have an older scouting report, but it said Teegre has been beaten down by the demands of parenting and his current body lean is only fitting for the sofa, while the latest lower body explosiveness came from eating a fish taco that might have used old fish.

I hope your intel is better and he has a shot at playing for coach Munchak, but he is a long shot imo.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I might have an older scouting report, but it said Teegre has been beaten down by the demands of parenting and his current body lean is only fitting for the sofa, while the latest lower body explosiveness came from eating a fish taco that might have used old fish.

I hope your intel is better and he has a shot at playing for coach Munchak, but he is a long shot imo.

We should dedicate an entire thread to breaking down teegre's scouting report for every position on the field!

Pffft... I am a beast with suddenness & glide.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

You lack social media skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

It’s not my fault. I learned to play SS from Cam “Dirty D!ck” Thomas. They only transitioned me to OLB, because I wanted to wear 95.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    You lack social media skills.
    That’s only because I call it a pound sign instead of a hashtag.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Hey Wait a minute here...I thought you were a certain GM whose playing days are well behind him...something fishy going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Hey Wait a minute here...I thought you were a certain GM whose playing days are well behind him...something fishy going on here.
    I’m out as a GM. It’s time for a comeback as a player.

Wow! those are two qualities that translate into awesomeness. Now tell me that you went to some great school like Shippensburgh College and you might be 2019 UDFA to watch.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I’m out as a GM. It’s time for a comeback as a player.
    teegre = "Leon"

Wow! those are two qualities that translate into awesomeness. Now tell me that you went to some great school like Shippensburgh College and you might be 2019 UDFA to watch.
    Northeastern South Panhandle West Virginia College of Beauty & Optometry

I won the MVP for the Bill Cosby “Muwah” Jell-O Pudding Pop Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    teegre = "Leon"

So true. Leon cant do everything.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

He's probably glad to get out of Pittsburgh with all the BS going on.