View Poll Results: Do you think Mike Tomlin should be fired?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 57.63%
  • No

25 42.37%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Do you think Mike Tomlin should be fired?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Poll: Do you think Mike Tomlin should be fired?

Tomlin just said we aren't playing to not lose, we are playing to win! For that I think we need to keep him for at least one more year!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Option 3. It doesn't matter what we think, he's not getting fired. The Steelers don't do business that way. So why get worked up over something that has zero chance of happening? Hopefully he's made to bring in a defensive coordinator from outside the building and will be told to give said coach full autonomy over the defense. If he would park his ego and allow a Gregg Williams or Ron Rivera truly run the defense he might be able to cash in one more SB win before Ben hangs them up.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    No.. if Boz did what any decent kicker in the league does and make his kicks we're up by 3 games despite losing weapons left and right (Shazier, Bell, Bryant, and now Boz is a no-show). They're in contention with/beating strong teams (KC,NE,NO) and looking good doing it. It seems no matter what's thrown at us, they hold it together and that says a lot.

Boz makes two kicks... that’s two more wins.

Grimble doesn’t fumble... that’s one more win.

The refs disregard false starts and/or blocks in the back... that’s another win.

The refs do not understand DPI... that’s yet another win.

SUMMATION:
    That is 13 wins that were snakebitten back down to 8.

Note: The Ravens loss and the Chiefs loss are the only two true “losses” IMO, and even in the Chiefs game, Boz cost us 4 points (which would have changed the look of the fourth quarter).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Boz makes two kicks... that’s two more wins.

Grimble doesn’t fumble... that’s one more win.

The refs disregard false starts and/or blocks in the back... that’s another win.

The refs do not understand DPI... that’s yet another win.

SUMMATION:
    That is 13 wins that were snakebitten back down to 8.

Note: The Ravens loss and the Chiefs loss are the only two true “losses” IMO, and even in the Chiefs game, Boz cost us 4 points (which would have changed the look of the fourth quarter).
    But the root problem is that it shouldn’t come down to a blown call by the official or a missed kick. This team was their own worst enemy. You can’t blame +10 turnovers on anyone else but the team.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    But the root problem is that it shouldn’t come down to a blown call by the official or a missed kick. This team was their own worst enemy. You can’t blame +10 turnovers on anyone else but the team.
    Agreed - leave aside that in addition to last second losses there were very fortunate last second wins against the Bengals and Jags

After a bad break the Steelers failed to remember the first law of holes - when you are in one quit digging - Steelers kept digging this season

Denver game after Grimble screwup - get ahead 17-10 after being down 10-3. Then first bad Ben INT on third down kills drive/Conner fumble/second bad INT to end game after sketchy play calling on first & goal

Saints game after first Haden PI - giving up FG to end first half/putting Ridley in game who then fumbles/giving up 25 yards on 3rd and 20 after second Haden PI on winning drive

This team consistently has found a way to lose and has deserved its record. Screwups on a recurring basis indicate deep rooted problems

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

It's rough to beat The refs, Top team at their home and Tomlin. Steelers came close to beating all above!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    It's hard to listen to these bobble heads talk about LB in any regard. "Pittsburgh didn't appreciate and pay the man, they under valued him "

It's not like they declined to renew his contract. It's not like they offered the dude $7M/year and dug their heals in the ground. Their offer was more than fair and far from insulting, if LB wakes up and puts his stupid pants on the Steelers can't do much about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

But, a lot of games do indeed come down to FGs. For example, the Taperiots’s first three Super Bowl victories came down to last-second game-winning FGs. FGs do matter.

People like to say that “every team gets bad calls”. True. But, when there is a disproportionate amount (Chargers game) or game-changing ones (the two DPI calls both occurring on fourth downs) it makes it extremely difficult to overcome... in a game that is generally decided by less than 7 points.

Okay, for argument’s sake, assuming that the Grimble turnover in the Broncos game was indeed due to Tomlin (as were Conner’s fumble and Ben’s INT), I will consider the Broncos game an out-&-out loss... so... 12-3.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Okay, for argument’s sake, assuming that the Grimble turnover in the Broncos game was indeed due to Tomlin (as were Conner’s fumble and Ben’s INT), I will consider the Broncos game an out-&-out loss... so... 12-3.
    Meh... you're just isolating bad plays and stating the obvious, that Tomlin didn't cause them. I was a Tomlin supporter until the past 12 months. I really don't think this team will be back in the Super Bowl as long as Tomlin is coach. If you want to isolate plays, how about the past 10 challenges Tomlin has made?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    It's hard to listen to these bobble heads talk about LB in any regard. "Pittsburgh didn't appreciate and pay the man, they under valued him "

It's not like they declined to renew his contract. It's not like they offered the dude $7M/year and dug their heals in the ground. Their offer was more than fair and far from insulting, if LB wakes up and puts his stupid pants on the Steelers can't do much about it.

It's amazing theses morons actually get paid for this crap!

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

It amazes me how unintelligent these two clowns are. They both have probably invested a total of 10 minutes into their analysis of what has gone wrong with the Steelers. Bell is not and was not the missing savior. Bad coaching & Boz struggles top the list of what went wrong.Conner & Samuels did a fine job. Defense must get better. Shazier was greatly missed. Drafting of defensive back has been poor for past several years. Burns is just as bad as J J.

Meh... you're just isolating bad plays and stating the obvious, that Tomlin didn't cause them. I was a Tomlin supporter until the past 12 months. I really don't think this team will be back in the Super Bowl as long as Tomlin is coach. If you want to isolate plays, how about the past 10 challenges Tomlin has made?
    No, what I’m saying is that a few bad plays here and there can indeed change the outcome of a game.

Tomlin hasn’t had a successful challenge in over a year. Okay. If those would have been the difference in a game, that would be relevant. Were they?

No, what I’m saying is that a few bad plays here and there can indeed change the outcome of a game.

Tomlin hasn’t had a successful challenge in over a year. Okay. If those would have been the difference in a game, that would be relevant. Were they?
    Of course those botched challenges have made a difference in outcomes.

As for a few bad plays, most teams not making the playoffs can play that game of buts and ifs. Bottom line is they were 7-2-1 and have now lost 4 of 5. Tomlin has nothing but bravado and rhetoric IMO. The same problems persist year after year.

- - - Updated - - -

But I also know that no one will be fired. Not even the DC or STC.

Of course those botched challenges have made a difference in outcomes.

As for a few bad plays, most teams not making the playoffs can play that game of buts and ifs. Bottom line is they were 7-2-1 and have now lost 4 of 5. Tomlin has nothing but bravado and rhetoric IMO. The same problems persist year after year.

- - - Updated - - -

But I also know that no one will be fired. Not even the DC or STC.
    Would they? Really. I’m asking. Because, I know exactly which miscues from this season would have changed the outcomes of games. But, not once (in my memories) did I think, “That challenge really cost us a game.”

But, can most teams really point to egregious calls like the Chargers game and/or the Saints game? The Browns certainly can, and I agree: the Browns should have one more win due to poor officiating, and the Browns should be vying for the AFC North title.

I disagree: I think that the entire defensive coaching staff gets fired. But, Yes, for some reason, Danny Smith will stay. (Seriously, WTF is up with that???)

I don't blame Tomlin for everything. NFL didn't want us being the 1 seed last year and made damn sure that didn't happen. I think the NFL don't want us in the playoffs this year and are making damn sure that wont happen. What I don't like about Tomlin though. Even when we are overcoming the refs, Tomlin has to make some stupid call so we beat ourselves! Opps drop the mic.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

personally I would open the door and sweep everyone not named Munch and Saxson out those doors and wouldn't look back ..

this team has stagnated , rumbled and fumbled and stumbled its way for years .... the 1 and done playoffs or narrowly missing the playoffs with a supposed Franchise QB and All world WR and very good RBs and not being able to win 1 freaking playoff game in what seems like forever and now not being able to make the playoffs with out help from the Browns ....

we can blame the defense and it would be a legit complaint , BUT all the while doing so remember the Manning led Colts they never had a def and they managed to make the playoffs and they managed to win in the playoffs we can not do either with the same basic setup .... 1st Ballot HoF QB ..1st Ballot HoF WR ( and we have a much better running game )

this SHOULD be a 10 win team year in year out just because of the talent on Offense .... give them any amount of Def whatsoever and that total should climb from there .....

No Excuse should be good enough IMO to NOT obtain 10 wins .. we shall see how ArtII feel on the subject soon enough
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    He's wasted enough of Ben's and AB's career. He's clueless, the playing down to teams, the blown leads, the sloppiness, the drama, the unpreparedness, the blaming of the x-ray machine, and that shit about game flow. Enough is enough. It's never too early to try and find their Mike Sullivan, sure you can end up with a joke of a coach too, but it is always better to try and improve rather than stick with the same disappointment for years
    I was about to type something but st33lersguy did it for me.

Agree 100%.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I voted NO. I do agree he has his times when some of his play calling is suspect to say the least, but, who else is out there ? How much of these play's are his decisions or just the lack of his player's NOT being able to perform. I do like some of his 'gutsiness' on some plays, some of which if they worked he was a genius, or if they failed...he was a ass. I'd say give him another year or two and see what happens. I'm more on the stand that the STEELER's need to go back to the OLD STEELER style of football.....defense kickin' ass !

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I voted NO. I do agree he has his times when some of his play calling is suspect to say the least, but, who else is out there ? How much of these play's are his decisions or just the lack of his player's NOT being able to perform. I do like some of his 'gutsiness' on some plays, some of which if they worked he was a genius, or if they failed...he was a ass. I'd say give him another year or two and see what happens. I'm more on the stand that the STEELER's need to go back to the OLD STEELER style of football.....defense kickin' ass !
    who else was out there when it was time for Noll to go .... would anyone have said Bill Cowher ?

who was out there when Cowher decided to go would anyone have said Mike Tomlin ?

Now it is time for Tomlin to go .....

what we know is this ... if Tomlin does go it will be a younger up and coming assistant that likely replaces him ....

perhaps a Kris Richard or a John DeFilippo

maybe they break the mold as some would like and go to the College game to find an answer then maybe a guy like Lincoln Riley becomes a factor

Would they? Really. I’m asking. Because, I know exactly which miscues from this season would have changed the outcomes of games. But, not once (in my memories) did I think, “That challenge really cost us a game.”

But, can most teams really point to egregious calls like the Chargers game and/or the Saints game? The Browns certainly can, and I agree: the Browns should have one more win due to poor officiating, and the Browns should be vying for the AFC North title.

I disagree: I think that the entire defensive coaching staff gets fired. But, Yes, for some reason, Danny Smith will stay. (Seriously, WTF is up with that???)
    Failed challenges don't just effect that one play. They take a timeout away and more importantly they remove a challenge for the ones that would get overturned. They also make him gun shy of throwing the red flag because he only has one left. I can think of several instances where that happened. However, challenges are just one area that he's bad at. It's just so obvious that it can't be overlooked.

I'm pretty sure every team gets bad calls from the refs. Unless it hurts your favorite team, it just doesn't stand out. I completely reject this conspiracy theory about the league trying to keep us out of the playoffs. Right.... keep out one of the highest rated teams on TV. Great strategy!!

The only way Tomlin fires anybody is of the Rooneys force him.

And if Tomlin went to a team that needed bravado and rhetoric (aka cheerleading), he'd thrive again. That act has just been worn out here with too many losses to bad teams.

Failed challenges don't just effect that one play. They take a timeout away and more importantly they remove a challenge for the ones that would get overturned. They also make him gun shy of throwing the red flag because he only has one left. I can think of several instances where that happened. However, challenges are just one area that he's bad at. It's just so obvious that it can't be overlooked.

I'm pretty sure every team gets bad calls from the refs. Unless it hurts your favorite team, it just doesn't stand out. I completely reject this conspiracy theory about the league trying to keep us out of the playoffs. Right.... keep out one of the highest rated teams on TV. Great strategy!!

The only way Tomlin fires anybody is of the Rooneys force him.

And if Tomlin went to a team that needed bravado and rhetoric (aka cheerleading), he'd thrive again. That act has just been worn out here with too many losses to bad teams.
    You’re not wrong; I just do not recall a specific challenge that had me wringing my fists.

I do not think there’s a conspiracy. I do think there is a lot of inept officiating.

ARII will force him to fire his entire coaching staff. Derek Carr’s drive sealed their fates.

Tomlin’s players play play hard for him. Yes, he has his faults, but aside from Belichick, every coach has a weakness or three.

They play hard for him because he’s a cheerleader. #nolongeratomlinsupporter

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    One thing they got right. 600+ passes and you’re not going to the playoffs.

#1 in passing yards of of today - Big Ben

#4 in receiving yards as of today - JuJu

#9 in receiving yards as of today -A.B

#12 rushing as of today James Conner ( and that's with missing several games )

#4 in total points in the league - Pittsburgh

#3 team in NFL for TD's - Pittsburgh

YET
    number 18 defense in points allowed
    given up the 17th most yards via the pass ( middle of the pack )
    given up the 27th most yards via the run ( top 6 in league )

so as badly as we look at this defense its not been atrocious just not up to our standards

no reason in the world good enough to have one of the league premier offenses and a middle of the road defense and not have a team in the playoffs NONE ZERO ZILCH

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I voted yes.

Although I would fire his whole staff first to send him a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

YET

so as badly as we look at this defense its not been atrocious just not up to our standards

no reason in the world good enough to have one of the league premier offenses and a middle of the road defense and not have a team in the playoffs NONE ZERO ZILCH
    The defense is 15th in points allowed and 9th in yards.

I agree.

Senior Member Array title="Renegade has a spectacular aura about"> Renegade's Avatar

This year along with 2012, 2013, and 2009 were not all that great. Of course 9-6-1 (and possibly a division if you win) when your first running back acts like a child, your second running back gets hurt during a stretch of games that are must wins and your defense is trashy... isn't that bad. I think most coaches under these conditions would lose maybe 10 games. Tomlin had his teams in all these games. The Chargers are a better team. Almost won (This game is on Bos for an extra point miss. 17 point lead is a whole lot larger than a 16 point lead. That punt return Touchdown would have made it 24-21 Steelers instead of 23-23. The Raiders game is on Bos too.) The Saints and Patriots are better teams and the Steelers had a shock win over New England! Both games they were picked to lose. Assuming they win this week they would finish 4-1-1 in their division.. that is not that bad. Tomlin, with the exception of the first 5 years, has not had a very good group of defenders to work with.. this might fall on him... but he cannot sign players. Only the front office can do that. I like Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

YET

The Steelers rank #31 in team rushing, only ahead of Arizona. They rank #30 in rushing attempts.

Steelers rank #1 in Passing Attempts and are tied with Carolina for #6 in the most INT's.

So your offense passes more than anybody in the NFL, but only 2 teams in the NFL try and run it fewer than the Steelers and they throw more INT's than 25 other teams. Looks like a unbalanced Offensive scheme that cant put away leads with a run game or throws away games with costly INT's. This should be a "Do You Think Randy Fichtner Should Be Fired" thread. (aka Ben's Caddy)

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    The Steelers rank #31 in team rushing, only ahead of Arizona. They rank #30 in rushing attempts.

Steelers rank #1 in Passing Attempts and are tied with Carolina for #6 in the most INT's.

So your offense passes more than anybody in the NFL, but only 2 teams in the NFL try and run it fewer than the Steelers and they throw more INT's than 25 other teams. Looks like a unbalanced Offensive scheme that cant put away leads with a run game or throws away games with costly INT's. This should be a "Do You Think Randy Fichtner Should Be Fired" thread. (aka Ben's Caddy)
    That's what Ben wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Conner is still the #12 RB in the league for Yards regardless of how many times they have run vs pass .... and seems like many here Bitched Conner was getting the ball to much early on and was gonna wear him out .... cant please nobody might be the better name for the thread !