Thread: Trade up in the draft

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Trade up in the draft

Normally I would be against this but at this point they need something big, a jolt to get back on track. I think they should trade up in the draft to try for a top tier player. If they win and Baltimore wins, they will finish 9-6-1 and will end up with the 20th pick. That's practically the same draft area they have been drafting at the past few years. Standing pat at pick 20, they will probably end up drafting another athlete in pads who can't actually play football like Artie Burns or Bud Dupree. Trading up in the 7-10 range may be what they needed. Teams like the Eagles, Rams, Bears, and Chiefs have made great strides with splash moves (yes I am aware coaching also had a lot to do with that but having a high impact player also makes it easier) and they could use a higher end player and with how deep the DL class is, they will likely be able to find a game changer. I have been eyeing Devin White, has drawn rave reviews, athletic, tackling machine, and could be the tone setter this team needs, which is what they need on defense. Maybe even Clelin Ferrell who some have called the best on Clemson's d-line. Yes it will be expensive and will likely require a 1st in 2020 as well as something as high as a 3rd, but at this point a potential game changer will have more impact than a 2 idiots with athletic ability and a backup. This team needs a high impact game changer, a tone setter on defense (along with a better head coach and defensive coordinator which is for another topic), and yes I am aware the draft is a crap shoot, but you are more likely to get a game changer in the higher rounds and frankly a change in routine may be better for this team anyway.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Trade up in the draft

Trade up in 2020 for Jake Fromm (QB, Georgia).

Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason (QB, Washington) and Justin Herbert (QB, Oregon) could go 1-2-3 in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason (QB, Washington) and Justin Herbert (QB, Oregon) could go 1-2-3 in the draft.
    I know that he's a little small (6'0") but I really like Ian Book from ND. I'm an admitted Irish fan from the time in lived in South Bend, but this kid has the X factor. At first I thought his ceiling was a good college QB, but I'm starting to believe he can play at the NFL level.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I know that he's a little small (6'0") but I really like Ian Book from ND. I'm an admitted Irish fan from the time in lived in South Bend, but this kid has the X factor. At first I thought his ceiling was a good college QB, but I'm starting to believe he can play at the NFL level.
    I’ll watch him closely (tomorrow) against that juggernaut of a Clemson defense. If he can play well against them, he should be able to fair well against anybody.

Sorry, man. Book looks lost against Clemson. Then again, all of the Fighting Irish look lost today.

On the flip side, I’m all for...

Abhorrence for Lawrence ‘21

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Build a good offensive system around Rudolph, would be easier and saves a pick. I'm thinking they at least should get an OC from the Big 12 to help run a system he is comfortable with (especially since Big 12 elements have been working in the NFL thus far). This is also where hiring Lincoln Riley as head coach to help Rudolph and make sure they hire someone who knows defense as DC would be a good idea

Senior Member Array title="BEERgods225 has a spectacular aura about">

Trading up in the draft is a costly venture. This team with Big Ben at the helm has to do a balancing act between trying to win while he's here and building for a future behind Mason Rudolph.

Ultimately they need to ensure that the OL stays solid once RG Foster leaves VIA FA this off-season and that Chuks is able to replace Gilbert full time at RT. Then they need to figure out our CB situation since Haden is no spring chicken and the ILB position where we currently have four back ups platooning in and out of games.

This team is prepared to win games and capable of making a deep run once they can solve these two defensive issues. Of course it would help if they'd fire Keith Butler and replace him with a DC who has a clue of how to call a game.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BEERgods225 View Post
    Trading up in the draft is a costly venture. This team with Big Ben at the helm has to do a balancing act between trying to win while he's here and building for a future behind Mason Rudolph.

Ultimately they need to ensure that the OL stays solid once RG Foster leaves VIA FA this off-season and that Chuks is able to replace Gilbert full time at RT. Then they need to figure out our CB situation since Haden is no spring chicken and the ILB position where we currently have four back ups platooning in and out of games.

This team is prepared to win games and capable of making a deep run once they can solve these two defensive issues. Of course it would help if they'd fire Keith Butler and replace him with a DC who has a clue of how to call a game.

I approve this message and think it is pretty spot on
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the only way I trade up in this 1st round is if I trade AB and out 1st round pick for the Raiders selection at 4 and their 24 ....

but I would then be on the phone trying to trade the 4 pick back to collect some more top 50 selections preferably tumbling back 2-3 picks and gaining a 3rd ... then do it again ....

so what I would actually be coming away with for AB would be the 10th over all pick and a pair of early 3rd round picks and my original 1 moved back 4 spots ....

1a) ILB
    1b) CB
    2) OLB
    3a) CB
    3b) WR
    3c) OG
    4) ILB
    6a) RB
    6b) OT
    7) PUNTER

I like the Idea of Madden type trading of picks to make the most of your situation but that high in the draft I don't know if I'd still go ILB. Yes, it's a HUGE need but in the first round of the draft you have Greedy and Baker, then everyone else. Whereas at ILB you have Allen, White, Wilson, and Bush before you drop off to everyone else. I feel that if you take the CB at 10 you would still get a great ILB prospect at 24.

if I am a betting man ( and consequently I have been known to make a wager or two ) Mark Gilbert will end up being as good as any corner in this draft in a couple years ....

I would agree, which is why I mocked him to us in my Mock. Baker and Gilbert out of this draft would be spectacular in IMO.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    if I am a betting man ( and consequently I have been known to make a wager or two ) Mark Gilbert will end up being as good as any corner in this draft in a couple years ....
    If I was a betting man, I'd wager that the Steelers will promptly ignore any of these good ideas and we will be stuck with Butler and Tomlin for another season of suffering...lol

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    If I was a betting man, I'd wager that the Steelers will promptly ignore any of these good ideas and we will be stuck with Butler and Tomlin for another season of suffering...lol
    I would not bet against that with 10 to 1 odds

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Trade up in the draft...lol

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Trade up in the draft...lol
    I know, right. Once every 20 years... wait, we might be due. lol

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I'm not sold on either GA, used to be GA QB... I think the best Georgia has put out there over the past 30 years has been Stafford. Everyone else has been a decent college QB, and nothing to speak of in the Pros.
    Even a gimmik like Quincy Carter had more going, imo...

Now, if you want to say Deandre Baker... I'm all ears.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    I know, right. Once every 20 years... wait, we might be due. lol
    Touché

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Watching Mahomes gets me thinking maybe we should draft a QB with a strong baseball background.

I think we're good with Mason Rudolph and Juju/James Washington & Connor/Samuels. I'd bring in another WR and a back up QB but I think we're good where we are as far as future starters.