Thread: Patriots suddenly have a major hole in their receiving corps

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Patriots suddenly have a major hole in their receiving corps

The Patriots knew the risk when they sent a fifth-round pick (and got back a seventh-round pick) for former Browns receiver Josh Gordon. And there was a reward, at least for part of the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ceiving-corps/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Patriots suddenly have a major hole in their receiving corps

https://deadspin.com/that-might-be-a...eer-1831229918

Possible suspension again. He's done.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What a waste of talent... and more importantly, life. I pray that he gets it together.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    https://deadspin.com/that-might-be-a...eer-1831229918

Possible suspension again. He's done.
    Bringing in that problem did not work out as well as some of Belichick's other reclamation projects

Hope Gordon saved some of his earnings and can get out of his substance abuse vortex

Upcoming end of career might have been a factor in Gordon being a non-factor last Sunday at Heinz (1 catch/2 targets/19 yards)

IMO bigger waste of a career than Bryant - unlike Bryant being about potential, Gordon had a massive second year (87 catches/led league with 1646 yards) in 2013 on a 4-12 Browns team before his problems wrecked his career

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2013.htm

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

What has Joshy boy been testing positive for? Pot, PED?
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

So much for the "Patriot Way's" ability to get troubled players to turn themselves around...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    What has Joshy boy been testing positive for? Pot, PED?
    No PEDs as defined under the CBA but Gordon did ingest substances pregame to presumably enhance his performance. Substance abuse suspensions for marijuana and old school alcohol

A timeline of Josh Gordon’s history with substance abuse and suspensions

Gordon told GQ he had a pregame ritual where he would take bong rips and/or shots of Grand Marnier or whiskey before kick-off. “I would drink probably like half a glass, or a couple shots to try and warm my system up,” he said. “To get the motor running. That’s what I would do for games.”
    Gordon estimated he had something in his system for “probably every game of [his] career,” including those in college....

Prior to the start of the 2013 season, Gordon was suspended two games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy....

Prior to the start of the 2014 season, Gordon was arrested for a DWI in Raleigh, N.C. According to police, he was pulled over just before 3 a.m. for driving 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. His blood-alcohol level was .09 — .01 over the legal limit. Two months after Gordon’s arrest, the NFL announced he had been suspended the entire 2014 season for a failed drug test (marijuana). The suspension was later reduced to 10 games due to the league’s reformed drug policy....

Gordon was suspended the entire 2015 season due to another violation (alcohol) of the league’s substance abuse policy. ...

2016: Gordon’s initial application for reinstatement was denied by the league in April because he failed another drug test. ... Following his completion of the program, Gordon once again had to be reinstated by the league. He did not take a snap during the 2016 season.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-en...nsion-timeline

Yikes

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    So much for the "Patriot Way's" ability to get troubled players to turn themselves around...
    That “Patriot Way” has been going downhill for a while now...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

I really like when Bilicheat gambles backfire on him! Chad Johnson, Hainesworth to name a few. I know this is off subject I heard on one of the talk shows Louis Riddick expected the cheats to blow out the Steelers so much for that! LOL

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Aaron Hernandez?

Banned Array title="tom444 has a reputation beyond repute">

Gordon wasn't a reclamation project, he wasn't even a gamble. He's a lost soul they figured might be able to fill a spot for awhile cheap. I hope he finds himself.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That “Patriot Way” has been going downhill for a while now...lol.
    Are you referring to their superbowl win two years ago, superbowl appearance last year, or just the past few weeks/days?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think the "Patriot Way" fell apart when Tommy ran to Papa Kraft and got JimmyG traded away. Grumpy Bill IS the Patriot Way. Once he lost control to Tommy it ended without much fanfare because they still coasted into another SB after. Grumpy Bill may want to look into the Raven's HC job once this season ends. (Not really but he did coach for them once before and had success.)

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

What a waste

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

While I still think you should be allowed to drink and smoke as much as you want so long as you stay out of jail ... man, this guy has problems. I hope he seriously doesn't end up becoming a bum.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Today's weed isn't the weed of 20 years ago. The talk about it being non-addictive is bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    While I still think you should be allowed to drink and smoke as much as you want so long as you stay out of jail ... man, this guy has problems. I hope he seriously doesn't end up becoming a bum.
    I would say that's a concern. Of course, I don't know anything about him other then what I've seen while watching him but he has that confused, lost, look in his eyes. I feel for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Are you referring to their superbowl win two years ago, superbowl appearance last year, or just the past few weeks/days?
    I’m not referring to any Super Bowls...lol.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom444 View Post
    I would say that's a concern. Of course, I don't know anything about him other then what I've seen while watching him but he has that confused, lost, look in his eyes. I feel for the guy.
    Just from my own experience dealing with or observing people with substance abuse problems - there are the casual users who are 95% of them, who are anywhere on a spectrum from "I can take it or leave it" to "functional alcoholic / secret addict / leading a double life / just managing to keep their act together." But the people who are repeatedly having problems with the law, their work, their family, etc., over it are the ones who just can't help themselves, the real addicts, and what you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of those people do stretches in jail, on the streets, or just lead a sketchy and often somewhat dangerous existence. Best case, they get a job at the cannabis club and everything exists nicely in this equilibrium of convenience for everyone.

Of course, this is limited to my own personal experiences with this and the limited information available about Gordon ... but sadly, it would not be surprising to see him come to some miserable fate.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Just from my own experience dealing with or observing people with substance abuse problems - there are the casual users who are 95% of them, who are anywhere on a spectrum from "I can take it or leave it" to "functional alcoholic / secret addict / leading a double life / just managing to keep their act together." But the people who are repeatedly having problems with the law, their work, their family, etc., over it are the ones who just can't help themselves, the real addicts, and what you see is usually just the tip of the iceberg. A lot of those people do stretches in jail, on the streets, or just lead a sketchy and often somewhat dangerous existence. Best case, they get a job at the cannabis club and everything exists nicely in this equilibrium of convenience for everyone.

Of course, this is limited to my own personal experiences with this and the limited information available about Gordon ... but sadly, it would not be surprising to see him come to some miserable fate.
    No remarks about the Patriots or Brady's sexuality? You're falling down on the job, SR.

On a serious note, I hope Gordon gets the help he needs.

...... but sadly, it would not be surprising to see him come to some miserable fate.
    Not a good thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No remarks about the Patriots or Brady's sexuality? You're falling down on the job, SR.
    At this point, I think it speaks for itself.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Seriously what is it with these players that can't put down the weed? I quit to be able to join the military, which was a career that gets paid MUCH less than being a player in the NFL. That's why I just can't have sympathy for these guys like Gordon or Bryant. They don't know how good they had it.