Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Orleans Saints- Send in your game plan

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

The New Orleans Saints- Send in your game plan

Okay okay, we just beat some team from New England, lets put that behind us.

What is more concerning is now we are facing probably the BEST TEAM in the NFL next week at their house.

All of the coaches from the couch lets here your best game plan.

Here is mine.

1.Running back duo(trio?)
    Hopefully the news is true that Conner is healthy and ready to play for this game. If that is the case I would love to see our offense attempt to give more attempts rushing vs passing. 60% RUN 40% Pass ratio. If we can get things rolling on the ground it obviosuly keeps Brees off the field.

-Jaylen Samuels
    . I would like to keep Samuels in on the field sometimes with Conner. If Ben sees man coverage and an LB is on Samuels, change the formation and split him out wide or in the slot. Takes one body out of the box and you can make the choice to Run or pass from there.

-Rosy Nix. We have a pro-bowl Fullback right? If we get blessed with a situation that we need to chew clock. We got to get this gut on the field.

2. Antonio Brown.
    I loved that in that New England game when we had AB line up in the back field, moved him one way and then out in the slot. It forced the defense to expose who is the double coverage. All our other benefit by moving this beast around.

3.Special Teams. Pray to god that Boswell is back, and or we sign another kicker in the middle of the week. can't miss gimme 3 pointers. Those are drive deflaters.

4. Defense. KEEP ARTIE BURNS OFF THE FIELD.

I will be honest here, I think they are going to be out of breathe keeping up with this team next week. Both Ingram and Kamara are excellent pass catching RB out of the back field. We simply do not have an ILB that can cover this.

Morgan Burnett
    and Marcus Allen: Maybe we keep running a dime set and have these guys line up as the second ILB.

Keep Subbing and great communication coming on/off the field. Going back to my point of running out of breath. We need to have fresh legs and lungs on defense. Keep subbing guys in when you feel like it is safe. (Long in-completion, tv time out, long play, penalty ) . Brees will quick snap us for sure if he sees that we got big guys needing a breather and or too many men on the field.

5. Go to Church Sunday and bring your Terrible Towel. We will need some divine help from here on out.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: The New Orleans Saints- Send in your game plan

Score more points than them, this strategy is 100% effective

In all honesty I have a feeling we could play them tougher than people expect. They had pretty much a cupcake schedule for most of the year, although they did beat the Rams so they're legit. They're tough at home however, our defense can't give them easy points. Ben has to make his throws. The Saints D is tops in the league vs the rush, so although abandoning the run game is never a good idea, I would be surprised if Conner or Samuels has a monster game on the ground.

On another note they've only been held to under 30 points at home once all year, and it was by the Browns lol. So to win the defense has to either play out of their minds or Ben needs to beat Brees in a shootout, which I don't think is likely, at least not in the dome unfortunately. However if TJ Watt can have another big game and bring constant pressure like he did vs NE, we have a shot. The more I think about yesterday's game, Watt was the MVP. Dude was in Brady's face all game yesterday and never let him get comfortable in the pocket.

Wait what am I saying, 100% chance we lose this weekend (it worked last week)

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

RUN THE FOOTBALL! and don't completely abandon it after the first gain of less than 2 yards. Ben has been INT happy limit the number of pass attempts. 2 INTs against a bad Pats D is not good.

Defense needs to apply pressure, Brees is not that mobile. Apply pressure to get off his game. Also may want to use more DBs, DON"T have any of the LBs cover any WR or Alvin Kamara. Hilton on Kamara may not be a bad idea

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    60% of the time, it works every time

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Lol score more points, check!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    RUN THE FOOTBALL! and don't completely abandon it after the first gain of less than 2 yards. Ben has been INT happy limit the number of pass attempts. 2 INTs against a bad Pats D is not good.

Defense needs to apply pressure, Brees is not that mobile. Apply pressure to get off his game. Also may want to use more DBs, DON"T have any of the LBs cover any WR or Alvin Kamara. Hilton on Kamara may not be a bad idea

- - - Updated - - -

60% of the time, it works every time
    I like your hilton on kamara idea.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

It's simple. You keep their offense off the field as much as possible. This means you run Samuels/Ridley/Conner as much as possible and SLOW the game down. If you can have 3-4 clock eating drives that end in TD's you will win.

If the Ravens win Saturday and we lose the playoffs are gone for us.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    It's simple. You keep their offense off the field as much as possible. This means you run Samuels/Ridley/Conner as much as possible and SLOW the game down. If you can have 3-4 clock eating drives that end in TD's you will win.

I would be a little cautious that a lot of people are writing off the ravens as losing to the Chargers already. The Ravens honestly are a team that could shut down the Chargers offense and pull off the upset. I don't see the Chargers or really any other team really being able to run the score up on Baltimore. The defense will keep them in the game and if it's a 1 score game, anything can happen.

I'm hoping the team comes at NO as a must-win, though it's still a tall order, they're the NFC's best right now. I'm not holding their lackluster performance yesterday against them. Everyone knows dome teams don't play as well in away games, and Carolina is a division opponent who usually plays them tough.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post

They might be saying the same about Steelers offense. The Saints D has been whats won the game for them last 4 weeks. I read teams avg 79 yards rushing against them during that time so Steelers have work cut out for them.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I would be a little cautious that a lot of people are writing off the ravens as losing to the Chargers already. The Ravens honestly are a team that could shut down the Chargers offense and pull off the upset. I don't see the Chargers or really any other team really being able to run the score up on Baltimore. The defense will keep them in the game and if it's a 1 score game, anything can happen.

I'm hoping the team comes at NO as a must-win, though it's still a tall order, they're the NFC's best right now. I'm not holding their lackluster performance yesterday against them. Everyone knows dome teams don't play as well in away games, and Carolina is a division opponent who usually plays them tough.
    Oh I'm not writing them off. I'm like you I think the Ravens could win as well. As I pointed out if they do win I think we miss the playoffs unless we sweep our remaining two games. One of the Titans or Colts is finishing 10-6 and getting that #6 seed, so that leaves only one spot for whoever wins the AFC North.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Get the ball to AB and run the ball to eat up clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Steeler-in-west has a reputation beyond repute"> Steeler-in-west's Avatar

Play more man to man, brees will eat up the zone

dont abandon the run, use draw plays. Ben needs to be patient,

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Basically the same thing as last week. Base nickel 3-3-5, more man coverage when possible (we have better players for it now apparently), Hargrave on the field a lot and Watt rushing the passer instead of the dropping into coverage bullshit. No need for two slow ILBs on the field at the same time unless it's a telegraphed running situation with like a two-receiver set or something.

Some version of this needs to be the blueprint against every high-powered pass-heavy offense we face for the rest of the year, since that seems to be the way to maximize what we can get out of this group of personnel.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Make sure we set the edge, let our DL stop the inside stuff, but Watt and more importantly Dupree need tinder the edge to funnel their running game inside to our best defenders. If we play like we did against the Pats, we will be in the game (minus the TO’s). I don’t think we are going to be running wild, but our OL have to have a game if we are going to have any success at running.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Tranquilizer darts in sniper rifles?

https://seatgeek.com/venues/mercedes.../seating-chart

based on extensive research, I suggest sections 344 and 319.

Perhaps a back-up team behind the home bench?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Tranquilizer darts in sniper rifles?

https://seatgeek.com/venues/mercedes.../seating-chart

based on extensive research, I suggest sections 344 and 319.

Perhaps a back-up team behind the home bench?
    Too obvious.

On the other hand, a subtle dose of ketamine in the Gatorade cooler could have some hilarious results.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Too obvious.

On the other hand, a subtle dose of ketamine in the Gatorade cooler could have some hilarious results.
    OK! Now that I can get on board with. Maybe a pinch of LSD?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Why didn't I think of that?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

They have the best run defense in the NFL so it all rests on Ben's shoulders.

No interceptions.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Pressure Brees and, throw it early to run the ball later. The offense can't turn the ball over and, the Saints have not been scoring a lot of points lately. This game makes me more nervous than the Pats game. We all know what kind of offense they have hopefully the Steeler defense can play well like last week.

I really think we need to run the tables to get into the playoffs. I think the Ravens are going to win on Saturday.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Brees is not a threat to tuck and run. Have to pressure the QB and get him off his mark/rhythm. Offense has to score. I think it is as simple as that.

Honest game-plan this time.

Score TDs on the first 3 possessions. Absolutely can NOT get behind against the Saints and allow them to batter you with Ingram until you are worn down and then unleash a Kamara lightening bolt.

On defense, prevent the Saints from scoring TDs on 2 of their first 3 possessions. That gets you to around half-time with a score of 21-13 at worst. Might force the Saints into a more one-dimensional look that you can tee off the pass rush against. The Steelers defense is by far least effective when they have to play the pass and the run on the same down. Much of the pass rush success against the Pats was because they just weren't worrying about the run. Can not do that against the Saints in a close game.

Once you pass the ball a ton to get up by 10-14 points, you can attempt to chew up the clock with long run focused drives and shorten the game.

So, need to find a way to win a first 2-3 quarters 2018 style shoot-out. Then force the game into a 1988 style clock killing contest.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Saints Run Defense is number one in the league...however, a lot of that has to do with most teams playing from behind. If the Steelers can score on those first three drives, they may be able to ground and pound a bit.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

We need to either get a lead or keep pace, we go down by 14 and I am not sure we will win. Hopefully we can match them score for score in the first half then get a timely stop to pull ahead

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Saints Run Defense is number one in the league...however, a lot of that has to do with most teams playing from behind. If the Steelers can score on those first three drives, they may be able to ground and pound a bit.
    They are league best in yards per carry too...

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

We still need to run the ball. If we get one-dimensional we will lose.

I am certain there is a stat out there that if Ben has 40+ pass attempts we lose almost every time...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

unfortunately for us they are not #1 against the run volumetrically. Theyre right at the top in YPC too.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    unfortunately for us they are not #1 against the run volumetrically. Theyre right at the top in YPC too.
    and volumetricircumferilistically too!

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    They are league best in yards per carry too...
    Still, some of that comes down to the game flow. If they aren’t being beaten up all game with the run, they are more fresh to stop it.

Still, some of that comes down to the game flow.

If they aren’t being beaten up all game with the run, they are more fresh to stop it.
    I dunno.

I think if we are kicking their butt in the passing game they will need to make adjustments and whether they are fresh or not, shouldn't that open up the running game?
    Last edited by GBMelBlount; 12-20-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

score first , score last and score every time they score ...

seriously ... pressure and mixed coverage's much like what we did this past week ....

cant let the RBs beat you while trying to stop Brees so some run blitz should be in the mix as well and the front 7 will have to be more mindful of the run this week .....

Saints are a very good run stopping team 2nd in the league in YPC against so screen passes will have to help fill the void of an actual run game provided we can not get one going ( and we might we have a stellar line )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now