Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaylen Samuels

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Jaylen Samuels

This guy needs his own thread after yesterday. Yes I know it's a small body of work but he's been fantastic since Conner got hurt and the other guy (won't say his name anymore) decided to ride jet skis in Miami.

Getting 142 rushing yards (172 total) against a Belichick defense is NOT and easy thing. With Conner (23) and Samuels (22) at the running back position heading into next season we can use our picks on defense and Bell/Shazier's cap space on defensive free agents.

I hope this kid can keep it up because we're going to need everyone next week in New Orleans (BTW if we win next week and the Chargers take out Baltimore we clinch the division).

The biggest difference between him and Conners right now is Conners is running "afraid" with the ball after his fumbles. You simply cannot run like that in the NFL. Conners is double clutching the ball when he gets near players instead of looking to make a move like he was earlier in the season. It's all mental and only he can fix it.

As for Samuels, listen to his post game presser ... the kid was smart enough to go down on that catch to keep the clock running! That's not something a lot of 22 year old's think about when up against the Patriots.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1DXxyaMbEYNxM

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: Jaylen Samuels

some old thoughts of many of us ..... http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...s-Can-Help-Now
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I hope when Conner comes back, Samuels won't become an afterthought.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like Samuels and I like Conner. I used to like Bell.

Moral:

#runningbacksareadimeadozen

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I like Samuels and I like Conner. I used to like Bell.

Moral:

#runningbacksareadimeadozen

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers should split the workload between Conner and Samuels.

I hope when Conner comes back, Samuels won't become an afterthought.
    With Ben wanting to throw the ball, AB wanting his catches, and Fichtner being Ben's best friend, I doubt we'll be seeing much of Conner and Samuels. I hope to be wrong.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    some old thoughts of many of us ..... http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...s-Can-Help-Now
    What I noticed watching that highlight video and last night is he has a very deceptive 2nd gear where it seems he can burst for speed for a few seconds. I like this kid and could see him replacing the "other" guy.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Great time of the year for Samuels to get on the stage.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

They guy is a baller... I loved when he sat on the pats bench for a breather

The guy can catch very well, maybe on par or better hands then Bell.

So far the only thing we are missing from Bell is a "patient" Running Back.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

The better him and Conner play, the more money Bell loses. Everyone wins (except Bell's ego). I wish the best for Bell absolutely, but I will not serve his ego.

I just hope there isn't a team out there desperate enough to pay him what he wants in the offseason. The Steelers (and Bell himself) have proven without a doubt that he is clearly not worth what he is/was demanding.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

The Patriots losses vs Miami, Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Detroit all were cases where those teams had big rushing days against the Pats Defense. Looks like a simple case of "run the football, control the clock and keep the Pats offense off the field".

Also, what has been the one constant whether its Bell, Conner or Samuels in the backfield?? The Steelers O line and getting them a chance to establish the run game maybe?

Samuels showed good burst to the gaps and outside, more than I recall seeing from him before. Samuels also showed a more determined attitude to keep moving his feet after contact, when running between the tackles than he has in the past. When I watched his tape and in the Senior Bowl he reminded me of a finesse guy between the tackles like Tashard Choice, but a very good receiver as a RB.

Good on him with the stats, but IMO he was the benefactor of a good O line performance and a Patriots defense that was susceptible to the run, as they have shown in the past. IMO, the Steelers could have run the football even more the way they were running at the Pats defense.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think Samuels future is really really bright. I predict he will have an even larger contribution in 2019. While last night was great and he may play a huge role in things moving forward - think how much better year two was of both Bell and Conner. Now, imagine Samuels in year 2?

Remakes his body a bit for the NFL - gains strength and quickness.
    Refines his route running and blocking - more opportunities to see the field in a diverse set of personnel groups.
    Continues transition to being a RB - improved decisiveness and vision

I honestly believe those are realistic and necessary improvements for any rookie RB, particularly one that came into the league w/out a true position.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think Samuels future is really really bright. I predict he will have an even larger contribution in 2019. While last night was great and he may play a huge role in things moving forward - think how much better year two was of both Bell and Conner. Now, imagine Samuels in year 2?

Refines his route running and blocking - more opportunities to see the field in a diverse set of personnel groups.

I honestly believe those are realistic and necessary improvements for any rookie RB, particularly one that came into the league w/out a true position.
    I think his route running is solid, he just needs to get more experience as an actual AB, running between the tackles. As a pure WR I believe he's already better than Bell and Conner, he just needs more consistency toting the rock. This week was a good step in the right direction.

In any case this draft is already looking solid. Edmunds is our starter, Washington, Okafor, and Samuels look like they can be something

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I never doubted him, the few time he came in before Conner got hurt he made some decent runs and has shown the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. He just needed to learn his blocking assignments. I feel totally comfortable with him and Conner for the next few seasons, hopefully we can use them effectively to be sure they are both rested for any possible playoff runs we make.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

James saxon is our 2nd best coach behind munchak. Also further testament to the oline

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I think his route running is solid, he just needs to get more experience as an actual AB, running between the tackles. As a pure WR I believe he's already better than Bell and Conner, he just needs more consistency toting the rock. This week was a good step in the right direction.

In any case this draft is already looking solid. Edmunds is our starter, Washington, Okafor, and Samuels look like they can be something
    Agree with all that. I just think he can expand on his already solid passing game skills. Learn more routes and read coverages better and can function as a WR in certain packages not just a RB out on the edge. The role Bell played before they got worried someone would explode his knees.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    James saxon is our 2nd best coach behind munchak. Also further testament to the oline
    Yeah. Both can not be overlooked.

The line was ridiculous yesterday. I'm not sure any other team in the league is pulling off that toss counter. Let alone having it be a bread and butter play for at least one week.

Fichtner sometimes loses sight of it, but I think that the movement skills of this o-line are what separates it as a unit. They are better pass blockers than run blockers. And in the run game, they are not really straight ahead maulers. But if they can stand some of the front wall defenders up and then get a few o-line guys moving -- then this unit shines.

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

If Samuels can show that consistently I feel he will take the starting job. Probably not this year, but perhaps next.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post

Thug life moment lol

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Lots of his success was the O line getting a chance to run block.

Doesnt seem to matter who is there, Samuels, Conner or Bell. If the guys up front get a chance to establish the run game, Steeler backs can be productive.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Do you think the Steelers will draft another RB in 2019?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Thug life moment lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Yes. If nothing else a RB depth chart of Conner/Samuels/Draft Pick is cheaper than Conner/Samuels/Ridley.

I also wholeheartedly believe any NFL team has a far far better chance of "hitting" on a 5th-7th round RB or WR over a DB or LB.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

- - - Updated - - -

No need at this point, and far more pressing needs

Yes. If nothing else a RB depth chart of Conner/Samuels/Draft Pick is cheaper than Conner/Samuels/Ridley.

I also wholeheartedly believe any NFL team has a far far better chance of "hitting" on a 5th-7th round RB or WR over a DB or LB.
    Agreed, not good news for L. Bell

Agreed, not good news for L. Bell
    Bells' best bet for a massive payday is a team like the Jets. They have a young QB who seems to have not made consistent strides his rookie year. A new staff may feel that surrounding him with better talent would aid in that development process.

If teams want to "clone" the Rams, Chiefs, and Saints blueprint, a flexible RB is a core piece. If Bell wants big $$$ then he needs to have his agent start working to convince Buffalo and Jets that Bell can be a massive stepping stone and shortcut to their young QB elevating their games to Mahomes/Goff levels. If they weren't so capped out, I would put the Eagles on the list as well. They have been trying to cobble it together with about a half-dozen guys this year and it isn't working like they want. Bell does everything that offense needs and more.

I think it really depends who drops to us. If the BPA is a running back, why not. Sure it's not an immediate need, but with the shelf life of a RB, I'll go out on a limb and say there's always a need for capable running backs. New England always seemed to have a stable of young RBs on their rookie contract which were effective but also inexpensive.

However our RB room looks good right now with Conner/Samuels, and Trey Edmunds is a good talent as well.

Senior Member Array title="ThorndikeFFA has much to be proud of">

He better learn to pick up a blitz!

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe another shot at a late rounder but not in the first 3-4 rounds. No need. Conner/Samuels will be our starting backfield next year and I have no problem with Ridley as #3.

- - - Updated - - -

Bells' best bet for a massive payday is a team like the Jets. They have a young QB who seems to have not made consistent strides his rookie year. A new staff may feel that surrounding him with better talent would aid in that development process.

If teams want to "clone" the Rams, Chiefs, and Saints blueprint, a flexible RB is a core piece. If Bell wants big $$$ then he needs to have his agent start working to convince Buffalo and Jets that Bell can be a massive stepping stone and shortcut to their young QB elevating their games to Mahomes/Goff levels. If they weren't so capped out, I would put the Eagles on the list as well. They have been trying to cobble it together with about a half-dozen guys this year and it isn't working like they want. Bell does everything that offense needs and more.
    I think KC might take a shot at him as well. They cut Hunt and have no one really to replace him. Imagine Bell's talent on KC?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Maybe another shot at a late rounder but not in the first 3-4 rounds. No need. Conner/Samuels will be our starting backfield next year and I have no problem with Ridley as #3.

- - - Updated - -

I think KC might take a shot at him as well. They cut Hunt and have no one really to replace him. Imagine Bell's talent on KC?
    Great point. I just assumed they won't have the cap room and what room they do have they will desperately throw at the defense. But the more I think about it, it makes sense and according to the internet they will have $42 million dollars in cap space!!

I also agree on the round priority for the RB in the draft. While Conner/Samuels/Ridley or Edmunds is fine, improving that with a potentially explosive player is NEVER a bad idea. If you look around the league you can find RB success stories of guys that wildly outperform their draft stock.

Taking a player like Philip Lindsey or Justin Jackson or Chris Carson late or even undrafted or Damien Willams (example of a NFL free agent) can really help the bottom of a roster. Let alone the impact injury can allow these players to have on the top of your roster!

Long story short, I am a general fan of Ridley. Edmunds is likely a great athlete (all his brothers are). But imagine if your 3rd string RB is Lindsey who you picked up as a UDFA?