Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STEELERS NEWS Steelers Bring In Former Giants, Jets, Colts LB Coach To Help Defense Prepare For Patriots

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

STEELERS NEWS Steelers Bring In Former Giants, Jets, Colts LB Coach To Help Defense Prepare For Patriots

More signs of panic. Now Tomlin & Butler can blame Herrmann when they lose.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are getting a little help this week from a defensive coach who has been on the winning side of a few games against the New England Patriots.

https://steelersdepot.com/2018/12/st...-for-patriots/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: STEELERS NEWS Steelers Bring In Former Giants, Jets, Colts LB Coach To Help Defense Prepare For Patriots

This reminds me of the storyline in Elf where James Caan invites Peter Dinklage the angry elf over to give him ideas for children stories.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: STEELERS NEWS Steelers Bring In Former Giants, Jets, Colts LB Coach To Help Defense Prepare For Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    This reminds me of the storyline in Elf where James Caan invites Peter Dinklage the angry elf over to give him ideas for children stories.
    Call me elf one more time!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

What does this say about the linebacker coaches?
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't think it will make a difference, but at least they are trying things.

I am uncertain why this is being taken as a negative? Same with Suisham and Boswell and the shuffling in the secondary. I want to be clear, I strongly believe it won't make on iota of difference, but what is the harm at this point?

People have been angry/frustrated all season that the team tends to do the same things over and over again with frequent negative results. Now, they are doing something (well, really desperately trying anything) and that is upsetting folks as well?

Again, it isn't going to matter. Most likely outcome is that the teams goes 1-2 to close out the year and almost everyone gets fired. These moves seem to be signalling that ownership has told the staff that they are on their last legs.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I am uncertain why this is being taken as a negative? Same with Suisham and Boswell and the shuffling in the secondary. I want to be clear, I strongly believe it won't make on iota of difference, but what is the harm at this point?

People have been angry/frustrated all season that the team tends to do the same things over and over again with frequent negative results. Now, they are doing something (well, really desperately trying anything) and that is upsetting folks as well?

Again, it isn't going to matter. Most likely outcome is that the teams goes 1-2 to close out the year and almost everyone gets fired. These moves seem to be signalling that ownership has told the staff that they are on their last legs.
    Well thats been the problem for years, not doing anything and now that the heat has been turned up its panic city. This BS just repeats year after year. If they get a winning season they don’t fix the problem, the coaching ones that is. I hope they lose out for that very reason. It’s the only thing that will shine light on this bullshit.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Well thats been the problem for years, not doing anything and now that the heat has been turned up its panic city. This BS just repeats year after year. If they get a winning season they don’t fix the problem, the coaching ones that is. I hope they lose out for that very reason. It’s the only thing that will shine light on this bullshit.
    I hope they win out and win SB and Tomlin keeps his job.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I hope they win out and win SB and Tomlin keeps his job.
    Tomlin will probably retain his job but don’t hold your breath on winning out with SB win.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Tomlin might keep his job, but he won't get another contract from the Steelers. They will retire him Arians style..
    All Defense!

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I think your avatar says it all

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

They don’t try something new: Steelers fans are complain.

They do indeed try try something new: Steelers fans complain.

SUMMATION:
    Steelers fans are always complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

SUMMATION:
    Try something new? The only reason they are doing anything is because their ass is on the coals. If they would have won last week it would have been business as usual. I don’t think anyone is complaining about trying something, rather they are only doing “something” because their ass temperature is nearing 212 degrees. I call that chicken shit. You call it complaining.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Try something new? The only reason they are doing anything is because their ass is on the coals. If they would have won last week it would have been business as usual. I don’t think anyone is complaining about trying something, rather they are only doing “something” because their ass temperature is nearing 212 degrees. I call that chicken shit. You call it complaining.
    So doing nothing would be better. Got it. My mistake.

So doing nothing would be better. Got it. My mistake.

The mistake is ignoring the problems year after year which brings us to this point.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It’s a fundamental principle that most organizations, in any field, do not seek to innovate when things are going well or even not terrible. Innovation, by definition, is risky. Most organizations want some other guy to field test innovation and then copy whatever appears to work. NFL teams are some of the most risk averse entities on the planet.

I don’t think this will amount to a hill of beans but it can’t hurt.

The mistake is ignoring the problems year after year which brings us to this point.
    I’m pretty sure that they brought in four new defensive coaches after last season... this would be the fifth new face.

Should this new guy have replaced Joey Porter earlier?... maybe. But, aside from Butler & Porter, it’s mostly an all new set of defensive coaches.

I’m pretty sure that they brought in four new defensive coaches after last season... this would be the fifth new face.

Should this new guy have replaced Joey Porter earlier?... maybe. But, aside from Butler & Porter, it’s mostly an all new set of defensive coaches.

There is something amiss in the chain of command of this team. But to start with porter and butler both need to go. They also need to do something about the DB scouting department/drafting. What a colossal circus! Danny Smith needs set sail and Tomlin needs to keep his hand out of the defense if he remains the HC. Stop promising jobs to internal coaches without interviewing outside candidates. Someone has to step up to get these players to play 60 minutes of football. There is no perseverance, urgency or drive to finish a game. It’s like a car running on 2 cylinders. If the players can’t work that out then coach should and it hasn’t happened. The cycle repeats itself year after year.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The problem is it takes Tomlin how many years to find someone else to give them pointers to beat the Pats?

There is something amiss in the chain of command of this team. But to start with porter and butler both need to go. They also need to do something about the DB scouting department/drafting. What a colossal circus! Danny Smith needs set sail and Tomlin needs to keep his hand out of the defense if he remains the HC. Stop promising jobs to internal coaches without interviewing outside candidates
    I agree with most of that.

Porter is Tomoin’s best friend... so, it’s gonna be a tough fire (but, a necessary one).

Tomlin has some good say on defense, but as Jimmy Johnson has said about head coaching: you have to be 100% in the “game” as the HC.

I think the Rooneys hire all of the coaches. Tomlin hasn’t really had a say about anyone. Really. He was forced to keep LeBeau and then forced to promote a Butler. They forced Haley on him, and Ben chose Fichtner. Tomlin chose Arians (crazy, right?) but that soured for obvious reasons. I’ve never seen a HC with less control over the hiring of his coaching staff.

Porter is Tomoin’s best friend... so, it’s gonna be a tough fire (but, a necessary one).

Tomlin has some good say on defense, but as Jimmy Johnson has said about head coaching: you have to be 100% in the “game” as the HC.

I think the Rooneys hire all of the coaches. Tomlin hasn’t really had a say about anyone. Really. He was forced to keep LeBeau and then forced to promote a Butler. They forced Haley on him, and Ben chose Fichtner. Tomlin chose Arians (crazy, right?) but that soured for obvious reasons. I’ve never seen a HC with less control over the hiring of his coaching staff.
    i agree on the Rooney hires and it drives me bonkers! I could not understand why you wouldn’t bring in other coach’s to interview for a DC position? LeBeau should have been gone after the Tebow embarrassment of the century, then they give his shadow the job!

if you are able to get a very good DC there is no need for Tomlin to have his fingers in the recipe.

i need a break from football these guys make up to one mil or more per game, plus a guaranteed bonus, they lose, laugh, fart and go home and check the bank account and do it all over again next week. I agree with Rocky, I’m done with it.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Even if that's the case. Tomlin has been around long enough, gotten new contracts and extensions, etc., at this point as a head coach: WHY would you continue to work that way if that was the case? I don't think Tomlin is a great coach, but I think he's a good one. If he got fired tomorrow, another team in need would hire him pretty quickly. Knowing that, if he accepts the situation and the way the coaching staff around him is put together, that's on HIM. Accepting that from ownership I would understand when he first took the job. He was a new, YOUNG head coach. We're not in that time anymore. Grow a set and make the necessary changes. We're not talking about a mid level corporation job where you're worried about making too much noise and losing your job. The HC is the guy who's held accountable. After 11 years, MAN UP!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Call me elf one more time!
    Must be a south pole LB coach.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Hopefully this guy leaves his little black book behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

STEELERS NEWS Steelers Bring In Former Giants, Jets, Colts LB Coach To Help Defense Prepare For Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I don’t think bring him in is being taken as a negative. I think the whole situation (of this season, past histories versu NE, frustration in general) and “why now” is being taken as a negative. It reeks of panic. If they knew this guy would/could help, why now? Why not years ago? Why suck up your pride now, when you are amidst a blunder of a season?

I’m happy to see them bring anyone in...if they brought Belichicks mother in, I’d be fine with it if she could help. If they brought in Ray Lewis to help beat the Ravens, great!!! But swallowing your pride at this point...at the brink of elimination? Kinda questionable...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    What does it say about Tomlin?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

SUMMATION:
    So, Steelers fans must have a monopoly on complaining about their team.
    Fans of all teams complain. It’s a “fan” thing.
    I’m pretty sure there must have been a lot of complaining in New England after they lost to Miami last week.

SUMMATION: Fans can’t select coaches or personnel, fans can’t play for their team, the only thing fans can do is vent.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

SUMMATION:
    When it falls apart complaints are justified (FWIW I rarely complained from late December 1974 through January 1980 )

More outside help for the defense after the changes last offseason is needed but that was obvious as long ago as the Chiefs debacle in week two (blown coverages, inability to get players substituted) rather than suddenly becoming apparent last Sunday

Bringing in someone now legitimately is regarded as a panic move

Agree with what Mojouw and you posted above - my guess is AJRII had a long talk with Tomlin on the flight back from Oakland and Tomlin moved on this because he was ordered to do something once again

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

SUMMATION:
    These problems have plagued the Steelers for the last 5-6 Seasons, the Rooneys finally realized Tomlin and his incompetent staff couldn't get it done so they had to bring in someone who has a clue. I dont see anyone complaining more pointing out obvious flaws that the current coaching staff is incapable of repairing. I think the majority of fans and media has finally recognized that Mike Tomlin is a mediocre coach who inherited a very good team but has failed to rebuild successfully.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    These problems have plagued the Steelers for the last 5-6 Seasons, the Rooneys finally realized Tomlin and his incompetent staff couldn't get it done so they had to bring in someone who has a clue. I dont see anyone complaining more pointing out obvious flaws that the current coaching staff is incapable of repairing. I think the majority of fans and media has finally recognized that Mike Tomlin is a mediocre coach who inherited a very good team but has failed to rebuild successfully.
    Exactly.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Most of Tomlin's hires from the start were guys that he previously coached with in college or NFL. Butler and Fichtner both go back to some college position, I think it was at Memphis. Porter, as much as I liked him as a player he hasn't done anything with developing pass rushers in the way of hand use skills IMO. Carnell Lake too did nothing with a bunch of CB's and whoever it was that kept trotting out Antowan Blake should have been let go and I think it was Lake.