Thread: Ravens bench Flacco for Lamar

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Ravens bench Flacco for Lamar

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/...-disappointed/

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Lamar Jackson will start as quarterback for the Ravens this Sunday when they face the Buccaneers, despite Joe Flacco being cleared to play.Coach John Harbaugh made the announcement Wednesday, saying Flacco will suit up Sunday, but that Jackson will start.
    Some Ravens Fans Still Back Flacco, Believe He’s ‘Established Vet’ That Could Take The Team To Playoffs
    “Every decision is based on making us the strongest possible team we can be,” Harbaugh said Wednesday. “Whether it’s quarterback or defensive line, that’s the bottom line. That’s what it boils down to. That’s how we feel about this decision, and we’re rolling.”

Flacco, 33, said he was “disappointed” that he’s now the backup quarterback, but he’ll do what he can to help the team win.
    “I’m obviously disappointed I can’t be part of this team in the same capacity that I have been for a long time,” Flacco said. “I can’t say I was surprised.
    Please delete if it's been posted already
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Re: Ravens bench Flacco for Lamar

I've thought on this long and hard (no snickering!) over the past few weeks. Here's my take.

Flacco is likely a better pure pocket passer. Yes, regardless of his own thoughts on the subject, he is not an elite Top 5 (or Top 10) QB. Maybe 14 or 15, but not Top 10. When he's on his game, he can light it up. But that's not every game. Most of this year he's been pedestrian at best. He started off well, but cooled off quickly. Flacco can run faster than expected, but he is not very mobile. While behind center, the running game languished and the OL was questionable at times.

Jackson? As a passer he needs polishing. Some throws look great, even difficult passes. Yet simple one-step drops to a stationary WR fall well short. It's a concern. But his ability to evade the pass rush, his raw speed to gain chunks of yardage and his ability to throw on the run has created opportunities that Flacco cannot create. Defenses must react to what Jackson can do, which has created vast opportunities for RB's and rejuvenated the OL.

Steeler fans can laugh at Flacco's career. I get that. But as a Ravens fan, I remember such sterling QB's as Tony Banks, Kyle Boller and Stoney Case lol. Other than <gulp!> Trent Dilfer and/or Vinny Testaverde, the Ravens had 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag at QB until Flacco came along. He got the Ravens into the post-season many years and in 2012 he played lights out throughout the playoffs and brought home the Lombardi. I will always thank Joe for that.

But this is 2018, not 2012. Four years of sitting home in January is enough. The past four games with Jackson at QB, with a 3-1 record and almost 4-0 after coming close to taking down a high-powered Chiefs offense, tells me now is NOT the time to bench Jackson in lieu of Flacco. The running game is the best in the league right now, and defenses need to plan against it. The Ravens are now Jackson's team.

Besides, better for Flacco to sit and hope for a good contract for 2019 after he's cut (unless a trade is worked out, which I find doubtful), then risk reinjury, or to suck badly the next two or three games and watch his value drop. I was very skeptical when Jackson started against the Bengals a few weeks ago. I still have some lingering doubts, but I think Iackson is Baltimore's best chance at a WC spot at a minimum, or a AFCN title at the most.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    I've thought on this long and hard (no snickering!) over the past few weeks. Here's my take.

Flacco is likely a better pure pocket passer. Yes, regardless of his own thoughts on the subject, he is not an elite Top 5 (or Top 10) QB. Maybe 14 or 15, but not Top 10. When he's on his game, he can light it up. But that's not every game. Most of this year he's been pedestrian at best. He started off well, but cooled off quickly. Flacco can run faster than expected, but he is not very mobile. While behind center, the running game languished and the OL was questionable at times.

Jackson? As a passer he needs polishing. Some throws look great, even difficult passes. Yet simple one-step drops to a stationary WR fall well short. It's a concern. But his ability to evade the pass rush, his raw speed to gain chunks of yardage and his ability to throw on the run has created opportunities that Flacco cannot create. Defenses must react to what Jackson can do, which has created vast opportunities for RB's and rejuvenated the OL.

Steeler fans can laugh at Flacco's career. I get that. But as a Ravens fan, I remember such sterling QB's as Tony Banks, Kyle Boller and Stoney Case lol. Other than <gulp!> Trent Dilfer and/or Vinny Testaverde, the Ravens had 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag at QB until Flacco came along. He got the Ravens into the post-season many years and in 2012 he played lights out throughout the playoffs and brought home the Lombardi. I will always thank Joe for that.

But this is 2018, not 2012. Four years of sitting home in January is enough. The past four games with Jackson at QB, with a 3-1 record and almost 4-0 after coming close to taking down a high-powered Chiefs offense, tells me now is NOT the time to bench Jackson in lieu of Flacco. The running game is the best in the league right now, and defenses need to plan against it. The Ravens are now Jackson's team.

Besides, better for Flacco to sit and hope for a good contract for 2019 after he's cut (unless a trade is worked out, which I find doubtful), then risk reinjury, or to suck badly the next two or three games and watch his value drop. I was very skeptical when Jackson started against the Bengals a few weeks ago. I still have some lingering doubts, but I think Iackson is Baltimore's best chance at a WC spot at a minimum, or a AFCN title at the most.
    I was watching NFL channel and blond Lindsay whatever was wondering how they would work Flacco in if Lamar starting. And I'm thinking just the opposite of how they work Lamar in when Joe starting. There offense has been great until behind or faced with 3rd and long. Thats when Joe goes in. After sack or holding call, second and twenty or third and say 12 or more. I would be pretty optimistic if I were Ravens fan. There offense is hard to stop unless they get to third and long. And now they have Flacco for that, which IMO brings the odds of converting up quite a bit.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Lamar improved every year at Louisville. His completion percentage was adversely affected by his receivers dropping an uncanny number of balls. You cannot teach what he does best.

If the Ravens coach Lamar up, they’ll be fine for the next decade.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Lamar improved every year at Louisville. His completion percentage was adversely affected by his receivers dropping an uncanny number of balls. You cannot teach what he does best.

If the Ravens coach Lamar up, they’ll be fine for the next decade.
    Only if coaching him up includes cutting his rushing attempts way down - I will take the under on his years as an effective starter if he runs anywhere near as often as he has so far as a starter

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Moonball Joe will probably be on a new team in 2019. Lamar will be the new man in town for the forseeable future

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Joe doesn’t care, he’s got a wife, kids and lots of money and seems like a real nice guy.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Wtf Flacco is elite

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Joe doesn’t care, he’s got a wife, kids and lots of money and seems like a real nice guy.
    I disagree. I think he is taking it well, but he has started every game in his 11 year career minus games he was out due to injury. He's being demoted to second string after coming off an injury. I don't know any QB that would happen to that "wouldn't care".

I wish he could have played a few more years with Kubiak as his OC. Joe's played under many OC's in his career, but Kubiak seemed to truly know what to do with him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    I disagree. I think he is taking it well, but he has started every game in his 11 year career minus games he was out due to injury. He's being demoted to second string after coming off an injury. I don't know any QB that would happen to that "wouldn't care".

I wish he could have played a few more years with Kubiak as his OC. Joe's played under many OC's in his career, but Kubiak seemed to truly know what to do with him.
    Joe doesn’t seem like a guy that would uproot his family at this point to play a few more years but I could be wrong, anyway I wish him the best.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Anquan Boldin got Bert his Super Bowl win. Once Boldin left, it went downhill.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Welcome to the Redskins, Joe.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Having Flacco out there earlier in the year when they ran the "Lamar packages" was a waste. Burt on the outside wasn't fooling anyone.
    At least now Jackson has a chance to run the offense with legit targets to see what he's made of.
    They are smart to play the hot hand. The decision has to come sooner or later... and sooner is getting W's.

I remember when Ben got his shot. He put up a long string of W's and we could all forget about 'ol Tommy.