Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Does Ben R Think and Do the Rooneys Care?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

What Does Ben R Think and Do the Rooneys Care?

I can't find the post now, but there was a good post about who one could replace Tomlin with if the team fired him. Made a ton of great points about getting a Big 12 offensive mind and several other relevant things. I totally support that idea....EXCEPT...It might be 2-3 years too early.

IF Ben R doesn't want to run some version of the Chiefs offense and REALLY wants to keep running his current system/scheme...how much does that matter? Is that enough to convince the Steelers to run out Tomlin and Fichtner again?

Does the team think about an offensive overhaul at all while Ben is still around? I say, most likely not.

Long story short, if Ben wants Tomlin and Fichtner to stay, I think they likely stay.

Butler falls on the grenade.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: What Does Ben R Think and Do the Rooneys Care?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I can't find the post now, but there was a good post about who one could replace Tomlin with if the team fired him. Made a ton of great points about getting a Big 12 offensive mind and several other relevant things. I totally support that idea....EXCEPT...It might be 2-3 years too early.

IF Ben R doesn't want to run some version of the Chiefs offense and REALLY wants to keep running his current system/scheme...how much does that matter? Is that enough to convince the Steelers to run out Tomlin and Fichtner again?

Does the team think about an offensive overhaul at all while Ben is still around? I say, most likely not.

Long story short, if Ben wants Tomlin and Fichtner to stay, I think they likely stay.

Off the top of my head I would agree but we are in uncharted waters with AJRII. Ben probably has one year left at most and if they don’t make a major change it will be a barf, rinse and barf season again next year, so why let Ben decide.

Team has more issues than meets the eye, I’m all for making the change now, if Ben doesn’t like it he can retire.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Off the top of my head I would agree but we are in uncharted waters with AJRII. Ben probably has one year left at most and if they don’t make a major change it will be a barf, rinse and barf season again next year, so why let Ben decide.

Team has more issues than meets the eye, I’m all for making the change now, if Ben doesn’t like it he can retire.
    Be careful what you wish for - Ben is undisciplined and fell back into bad gunslinging habits this fall with 13 INTs (for the record the young model QBs Mahomes and Goff each have 11). But few QBs can come off the bench like he did yesterday and drive down the field to take the lead back like that

It was 21 years of bad road between Bradshaw and Ben

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Be careful what you wish for - Ben is undisciplined and fell back into bad gunslinging habits this fall with 13 INTs (for the record the young model QBs Mahomes and Goff each have 11). But few QBs can come off the bench like he did yesterday and drive down the field to take the lead back like that

True , I drove those bad roads too ... that said if the premise of 1 or 2 more years of Ben is all we would have and had to continue with the shit coaching we are not winning anything anyways so.....

I would like to think we have better than Malone . Stout , Jim Miller to follow up with but who knows ...

if we cant do better than what we are with Ben at this point what difference does it make ( for the liberals out there )
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Ben will be here one more year max, there won’t be a SB this year, nor next year if big changes aren’t made. I was a Steeler fan through the entire 60’s and just about all my friends were fans of other teams and most of the fans at the games were rooting against the Steelers. I’m not afraid of a rebuilding process.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    True , I drove those bad roads too ... that said if the premise of 1 or 2 more years of Ben is all we would have and had to continue with the shit coaching we are not winning anything anyways so.....

I would like to think we have better than Malone . Stout , Jim Miller to follow up with but who knows ...

if we cant do better than what we are with Ben at this point what difference does it make ( for the liberals out there )
    Not certain how Ben moving on solves the problems on defense, which are the core flaw of this team

Not certain how Ben moving on solves the problems on defense, which are the core flaw of this team
    No question the D is a big problem, but the offense has had a powerhouse of talent which never bore any mature fruit. I think the problem is team wide, what is needed is a good examination, then surgery.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I guess it also depends on when the team wants to "move" to Mason Rudolph. I don't think he is good enough to push Ben out the door, but who knows what the team is thinking at this point.

I guess it also depends on when the team wants to "move" to Mason Rudolph. I don't think he is good enough to push Ben out the door, but who knows what the team is thinking at this point.
    I just hope they are thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I just hope they are thinking.
    I think that is where we part ways. I am all aboard the Ben R in 2019 train. For better or worse --not like I really have any idea.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Someone posted about replacing Butler with the guy from Wisconsin that coached TJ Watt.

I think that is the first step. There is nothing wrong with our offense and if we could put together a defense that could stop a team when needed and actually produce some take-aways our offense would be more than enough to win another Superbowl.

I think Ben could and might play 3 more years. Rivers is the same age and doesn't appear to be slowing down. Brady & Brees are both older and look like they could easily play 3+ years.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

it doesnt .... BUT my point is this ... we are staring at 8-7-1 in the face , that is not good enough

how many similar seasons have we had ? ( several )

how many playoff games have we won in the last half dozen years with a stacked offense ? ( damned few )

so if we can not win with this coaching staff . this front office ..... make the changes if someones feelings get hurt so be it pull up your big boy pants or get the hell out of the way we are not paying hundreds of million dollars a year to be average we are paying it to win Lombardi's

also not sure I would call the defense the core flaw of the team , certainly it has a big part in that but so does Mike Tomlin , his clock management ( or lack there of ) cost us 35 seconds on the last Raider scoring drive ... sitting with 2 time outs in his pocket he lets that time run off the clock ... how big is that time on our final drive esp when Ben was 25 of 29 vs the Raiders def .... sounds to me like a likely TD and a win instead of a FG attempt and a loss

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Agreed, Ben moving on doesn't help the fact that the defense is giving up big drives at the end of games, cannot get pressure on the QB with 4 rushers and uses ILB's to cover opposing team WR's.

What it would do is free up some money to spend on other positions and create a leadership void that can be filled by somebody based on leadership qualities and not seniority. I don't think Ben goes anywhere for another year or 2, but I am optimistic that Mason Rudolph could be the next QB the Steelers need and he could use another season or 2 as the backup.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

how many playoff games have we won in the last half dozen years with a stacked offense ? ( damned few )
    We put up 42 points last year against the Jags (who had a top 3 defense). Our defense the last two years has been an absolute embarrassment.

How many teams lose a playoff game (at home) when they put up 42 points?

If we had just a middle of the road defense last year we win #7. If Butler isn't fired after this season I don't know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    We put up 42 points last year against the Jags (who had a top 3 defense). Our defense the last two years has been an absolute embarrassment.

How many teams lose a playoff game (at home) when they put up 42 points?

If we had just a middle of the road defense last year we win #7. If Butler isn't fired after this season I don't know what to say.
    and who does Tomlin fire the offensive Coordinator who helped put up 42 points and not the defensive coordinator who helped allow 45 ....

so there is that !

and who does Tomlin fire the offensive Coordinator who helped put up 42 points and not the defensive coordinator who helped allow 45 ....

so there is that !
    Butler got a pass last year because the defense dropped off first when Haden broke his leg in the Colts game then when the Steelers had no plan to address the Shazier catastrophe. Not justified but explicable.

OTOH the QB and Munchak (who withdrew from consideration for a HC job after Haley was not brought back) were among those who loathed the OC. And FWIW a lot of the points in the Jax game were Ben going schoolyard to chuck it deep to Bryant and AB rather that due to the masterful offensive schemes of Haley.

Butler needs to go but so did Coach Todd

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The Dolphins have been waiting for another franchise QB since Marino. Marino retired almost 20 years ago.

Outside of breaking the bank and renting Peyton Manning for a couple of seasons in his twilight years, the Broncos have been waiting for another franchise QB since Elway. Elway retired almost 20 years ago.

And how many honest-to-goodness, bona fide franchise QBs are there in the NFL now? Not many. Most teams are paying top dollar for journeyman QBs at best.

The odds are not in the Steelers' favor. I hope Rudolph is the answer when Roethlisberger hangs them up.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

so there is that !
    Woah! Is this somewhat of a defense of Todd Haley?

I don't think I ever thought that would happen here. If the Steelers scored 40 points in a game it was all Ben, AB, #26. If the Steelers lost a game or only scored 28, it was Haleys fault.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Woah! Is this somewhat of a defense of Todd Haley?

I don't think I ever thought that would happen here. If the Steelers scored 40 points in a game it was all Ben, AB, #26. If the Steelers lost a game or only scored 28, it was Haleys fault.
    Haley’s body of work in leaving the Chiefs and Steelers on bad terms then getting canned midway through his first season in Cleveland supports the proposition that if there is someone who gets to play the victim card it is not Coach Todd

Haley’s body of work in leaving the Chiefs and Steelers on bad terms then getting canned midway through his first season in Cleveland supports the proposition that if there is someone who gets to play the victim card it is not Coach Todd
    Good OC with abrasive personality. That is pretty apparent.

The post looked like by saying that the Steelers let Haley go, but kept Butler that they got the wrong guy.....which shocked me. As an OC, I take Haley over Arians or Fichtner, but he couldn't coexist with Ben.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The Steelers offense is scoring more now (28.2 ppg) than at any time during Haley's tenure. Just saying.

Seeing the occasional QB sneak on 3rd-and-inches instead of a low-percentage long bomb is a refreshing change as well, IMO.

Bingo. Seems to me the common denominator in all those instances was Haley. But some folks will still blame Ben for being "difficult."

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I think(hope) they will clean house in the defensive side. I expect fitchner and Tomlin are safe and I absolutely think that has something to do with the Ben time line. Also I don't think fitchner holds Ben accountable but I don't know how well be would respond to that at this point in his career. If they clean up the defense we can win.

This is what bothers me. This year when we score it's more than not been some big play some unusual play stuff you just can't count on. Our regular play design and long drive ability is pretty marginal

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    The Steelers offense is scoring more now (28.2 ppg) than at any time during Haley's tenure. Just saying.

Seeing the occasional QB sneak on 3rd-and-inches instead of a low-percentage long bomb is a refreshing change as well, IMO.

Bingo. Seems to me the common denominator in all those instances was Haley.
    Yeah, I just think of the Denver and Jacksonville debacles so far this season. QB sneak Ben vs JAX for no gain and turn the football over on downs, then first and goal from the Denver 3 and passes including a RPO from the 3 yard line for an INT?? Total abandonment of the run game because the OC is really the QB's caddy isn't the way to operate IMO.

I remember a couple seasons ago against the Bengals, where the Steelers were running #26 to the left side on a counter with DeCastro pulling and just beat up the Bengals defense and the clock. Not the way to score 40 points a game, but some commitment to the run game opens up the pass and wears down a defense. Steelers do none of that any more, but instead their defense is on the field a lot more this season getting beat down.

IMO, Fichtner's terrible gameplanning vs the Jags almost cost the game, the abandonment of the run vs the Broncos and Chargers cost the Steelers those games and likely the AFC North title.

My point is this if you are going to fire the OC who helped you put up 42 points vs the #3 def in the league in the playoffs and you LOSE the game and fire him and not fire the DC too .... well you have evaluation issues and I do not care that you are down 2 defensive starters ....

I would keep 2 guys on the current staff thats it ... Saxson and Munch the rest can all go jump in lake Erie for all I care ...

I would also oust the scouting department who has not found me a corner since Ike Taylor even though we have spent 7 selections between round 1 and 3 at the pos a pair of 4's and several 5's-7 ... sure we had a couple so so guys ... but nobody worthy of calling him a #1 CB and honestly probably nobody that would have been a 2 on most teams

The Dolphins have been waiting for another franchise QB since Marino. Marino retired almost 20 years ago.

Outside of breaking the bank and renting Peyton Manning for a couple of seasons in his twilight years, the Broncos have been waiting for another franchise QB since Elway. Elway retired almost 20 years ago.

And how many honest-to-goodness, bona fide franchise QBs are there in the NFL now? Not many. Most teams are paying top dollar for journeyman QBs at best.

The odds are not in the Steelers' favor. I hope Rudolph is the answer when Roethlisberger hangs them up.
    And the funny thing is Manning didn't even deliver them a Superbowl, his defense did. He was horrible in the Seahawks blowout of Denver and then basically a footnote of his former self in their win his retirement year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, I just think of the Denver and Jacksonville debacles so far this season. QB sneak Ben vs JAX for no gain and turn the football over on downs, then first and goal from the Denver 3 and passes including a RPO from the 3 yard line for an INT?? Total abandonment of the run game because the OC is really the QB's caddy isn't the way to operate IMO.

I remember a couple seasons ago against the Bengals, where the Steelers were running #26 to the left side on a counter with DeCastro pulling and just beat up the Bengals defense and the clock. Not the way to score 40 points a game, but some commitment to the run game opens up the pass and wears down a defense. Steelers do none of that any more, but instead their defense is on the field a lot more this season getting beat down.

IMO, Fichtner's terrible gameplanning vs the Jags almost cost the game, the abandonment of the run vs the Broncos and Chargers cost the Steelers those games and likely the AFC North title.
    Agree. Look at the Seahawks last night. They have a very mediocre offense but played the perfect grinding game against a good defense. They asked Pete Carrol when he decided to go to the running game early in the season and his answer was so simple, "it gave us the best chance to win each week." Wow, not rocket science, no overthinking.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

It's time for a change I hate to say it Tomlin needs to go with Danny Smith & Butler promote Munchek. Last week was the last straw for losing to the Raiders not playing Ben when he could have went in.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The disaster on Oakland is on coaching. They gambled the on their D which is a known weakness. Ben can be a Jekyll and Hyde sometimes, but man- what has happened to the coaching? Too bad for the people who pay good money to watch it live.
    All Defense!

I would also oust the scouting department who has not found me a corner since Ike Taylor even though we have spent 7 selections between round 1 and 3 at the pos a pair of 4's and several 5's-7 ... sure we had a couple so so guys ... but nobody worthy of calling him a #1 CB and honestly probably nobody that would have been a 2 on most teams
    But then you risk having a scouting department that can't draft receivers to save their lives. See New England as a prime example.

In light of this, I'm willing to give the scouting department a pass pending better coaching of the defense in general. Better coaching did wonders for the OL.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

But then you risk having a scouting department that can't draft receivers to save their lives. See New England as a prime example.

In light of this, I'm willing to give the scouting department a pass pending better coaching of the defense in general. Better coaching did wonders for the OL.
    ...and the coach can also shit can the idea from the scouting department. Just because they look at a gut doesn't mean that's who we pick... they have plenty of input in the decision.