Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Tomlin... Promote Munchak

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Fire Tomlin... Promote Munchak

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I have no inside info or any way to know the truth, BUT.....I do feel there is something wrong with this team. It seems to have been there for a couple years now and really has manifested on the field about the same time as the Bell locker cleaning incident. I do not think there is a 'one mind, one team, one goal' here anymore. I do not blame this "feeling" on the current team performances only, but things we see on social media, and have seen by teammates regarding the Bell holdout this year. I have this gut feeling this team is about to implode. If Tomlin is actually fired for instance. Does that lead to BR's retirement? Which then leads to retirements by 53, 73, and possibly even 77? What happens to Nix in this scenario? The defense is not good yet but it was a work in progress and has actually made progress, IMO. I think the leadership in the lockerroom is more to blame for this than coaching. But again that's only my opinion. Tomlin may be the one on the hotseat but I think this is a much deeper issue than a coaching change will fix.

Hope I am wrong.
    Certainly when everything fell off for Conner...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Simple. Kordell? One of the worst QBs in NFL history.
    Nope. According to Pro Football Reference, he just misses being in the top 100 QBs for total value to a team, which puts him in the top 12-14 percent of all QBs that every played in the NFL. Oh, and his pass rating puts him in the top 15 percent for all QBs in the NFL (and literally two spots away from Terry Bradshaw).

Of course, let's say he did suck. Why? Why did they go with him? Well, this one we know. The head coach. Cowher seriously devalued the QB position in lieu of the defense and supporting the run. Or, do we forget all those AFCCG losses under him because Cowher-ball could never defeat the top teams in the playoffs. It was only when the Rooneys forced a QB on Cowher that we actually won something. So, no, I don't think Cowher is the be-all-in-all. He had serious blind spots, just as Tomlin has his.

That being said, I find it interesting that Tomlin has the better win percentage. Perhaps if Cowher didn't have his blindspot towards QBs maybe he would have the better percentage. But, he did, so he doesn't.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nope. According to Pro Football Reference, he just misses being in the top 100 QBs for total value to a team, which puts him in the top 12-14 percent of all QBs that every played in the NFL. Oh, and his pass rating puts him in the top 15 percent for all QBs in the NFL (and literally two spots away from Terry Bradshaw).

Of course, let's say he did suck. Why? Why did they go with him? Well, this one we know. The head coach. Cowher seriously devalued the QB position in lieu of the defense and supporting the run. Or, do we forget all those AFCCG losses under him because Cowher-ball could never defeat the top teams in the playoffs. It was only when the Rooneys forced a QB on Cowher that we actually won something. So, no, I don't think Cowher is the be-all-in-all. He had serious blind spots, just as Tomlin has his.

That being said, I find it interesting that Tomlin has the better win percentage. Perhaps if Cowher didn't have his blindspot towards QBs maybe he would have the better percentage. But, he did, so he doesn't.
    Kordell in the top 12-14% of QB’S that ever played. Hmmm.

His pass rating puts him only two spots behind Bradshaw. Hmmm.

Proof that stats don’t necessarily reveal the truth.
    Putting any stock in the stat that compares Kordell to Terry so favorably is laughable.

Junior Member Array title="LambertsLunatic58 is an unknown quantity at this point">

I agree that it's probably time for Tomlin to go. I like Munchak, he's turned this line into one of the best I can remember. Should he be the "next man up?" I think so. Not because I think he's the best coaching candidate (he might prove me wrong), but because I believe Ben would be comfortable with him. Let's face it, we're only gonna be able to have BR under center for a couple more years. A "new" coach would probably not work best for Ben at this point in his career. Perhaps having an "in-house" coach (who's created an O-Line that's keeping Ben safe) would be a little easier to accept.
    If that didn't work out, then whenever BR retires it might be the time to really "clean house" and start over. Whatever happens, I love watching the Steelers!

LambertsLunatic

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post

Putting any stock in the stat that compares Kordell to Terry so favorably is laughable.
    Not really. The reason we dislike Kordell so much is because he crapped the bed in playoff games. Terry wasn't such a good QB in the regular season, but he turned it on in playoff games. That, and being a QB in Terry's time was twice as hard as in Kordell's time. Being a QB in his time is probably twice as hard again as today.

Another interesting thing if you check the record books. Total Approximate value for QBs at Pittsburgh? Ben, Terry, Kordell. Completion percentage among QBs? Ben, Tommy Maddox, Neil O'Donnell, and Kordell Stewart. Lowest Interception percentage? Neil, then Ben, then Kordell (for more than 5 games. Kent Graham and Dennis Dixon are in there, but they each played five games or less).

The problem with dismissing stats is it usually due to confirmation bias. We remember things in ways that confirm our bias and the stats speak against it. So, we dismiss the stats rather than dismissing our bias. Really interesting thing about that . . . (and now on a complete tangent), there's studies that show the smarter a person is, the more biased they are because of their ability to create arguments and structures that support their position regardless of reality.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

He's not even in the same universe as Terry Bradshaw as a quarterback.

Kordell was also one of those players that wilted in pressure situations, regardless of what stats say. If you watched him play, you know that he wasn't very good. He played with a very good team around him and made nobody better.

He was a below average starting NFL quarterback at best. To me, he was not a good quarterback. He had moments that people hold onto, but his overall body of work was well below average.

So much of being a quarterback is how often you are able to do something and when ​you are able to do something. Kordell was on the wrong side of both of those things.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    He's not even in the same universe as Terry Bradshaw as a quarterback.

Kordell was also one of those players that wilted in pressure situations, regardless of what stats say. If you watched him play, you know that he wasn't very good. He played with a very good team around him and made nobody better.

He was a below average starting NFL quarterback at best. To me, he was not a good quarterback. He had moments that people hold onto, but his overall body of work was well below average.

So much of being a quarterback is how often you are able to do something and when ​you are able to do something. Kordell was on the wrong side of both of those things.

But...but, you’re ignoring the numbers.
    Kordell was a better WR than Bradshaw, Kordell was a better gadget player than Bradshaw.
    Let’s leave it at that.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

the Bold ... also kids of today do not realize ( well some do ) that you could beat the shit out of a wr his entire way through a route during most of Bradshaw's days and that is why his completion percentage ( and all other QBs of yesteryear ) was low .... timing routes LMAO forget those you may NEVER make it to that spot on the field let alone in rhythm ....
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A franchise QB generally takes up 15% of your cap space (sometimes 20%). Let’s use $100 million for easy math. That leaves $85 million for 52 other players.

$1 million minimum for 52 players is $52 million... leaving $33 million for signing stars. Let’s assume $5 million per star, so that’s an extra $4 per... giving you 8 stars per team.

Now... Cowher’s philosophy was sound, and for the era, kind of smart. Spend only $5 million on your QB and sign FOUR more quality defenders.

SUMMATION:
    It almost worked... but, his subpar QBs lost each & every playoff game for him.

1994: incompletion
    1995: INTs
    1997: INTs
    2001: INTs

#passonPennington
    #passonBrees
    #kissKordell

But...but, you’re ignoring the numbers.
    Kordell was a better WR than Bradshaw, Kordell was a better gadget player than Bradshaw.
    Let’s leave it at that.
    Funny how you focus on that. My POINT was that Kordell wasn't the worst QB in the league as someone else had said. Be snarky all you want. My original point stands.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Funny how you focus on that. My POINT was that Kordell wasn't the worst QB in the league as someone else had said. Be snarky all you want. My original point stands.
    Agree. He wasn’t even close to the worst. He wasn’t great and was most likely ahead of his time but he wasn’t the worst....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler